Home
Howdy Folks, I just want to ask if there are any special laws and regulations on shipping rifle to a buyer in Alaska. I will appreciate any input.
God Bless!
Nope. Just be sure to put a copy of your drivers license with it so the receiving FFL has your info for his books.

Any U.S. state to any U.S. state, FFL to FFL, no problem.

Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Nope. Just be sure to put a copy of your drivers license with it so the receiving FFL has your info for his books.

There is no drivers license requirement for the shipper, and there are no such things in federal law. There is no way for the receiving FFL to verify any of that information and it is simply something to be recorded in the bound book...
Originally Posted by KC

Really??? This has been posted a million times here. There is NO requirement for FFL to FFL on long guns and the OP clearly stated "rifle."

Anyone can legally ship a long gun to an FFL in any state.
I ran into an issue in CA, where I had to ship a shotgun FFL to FFL.

There are states and then there are states... blush

DF
CA is different in that an FFL shipping to an FFL in CA must register with CA. How CA figures they have that authority is beyond me. Especially because anyone can legally (under federal and CA law) send a long gun to a CA FFL!

Nothing seems to get in the way of many FFLs that want to make their own freaking rules!
A few months back, I sold a Shotgun to someone in CA and it did not need to be sent from a FFL. Got the info from a CA gov't site. If it comes from a FFL, they need to do extra paper work like registering themselves or at least the transaction.
The FFL I dealt with in CA told me his BATF representative told him to do it that way. And, this guy is a SASS cowboy action shooter. So, the buyer wanted to use him and I did as he directed. I know it was a lot more trouble.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
The FFL I dealt with in CA told me his BATF representative told him to do it that way. And, this guy is a SASS cowboy action shooter. So, the buyer wanted to use him and I did as he directed. I know it was a lot more trouble.

DF

BATFE rep should not ever be telling a dealer how to comply with State rules and regulations. It is not their business and as long as it is legal they should absolutely stay out of it.

Struck that clause as I had first written it because it is not their call to make a legal judgement on.
Well I was surprised.

Started out asking the CA FFL to send me a copy of his license so I could ship a shotgun to his client thru him. He got a bit huffy and started in on was I an FFL. Well I had been in years past, not now.

Anyway, we finally got it solved, but it took a bunch of BS. My local FFL said he doesn't deal with those guy out there. I can see why some refuse to ship guns to CA. Guess I was naive, thinking CA was another U.S. state, subject to the same Federal regulations as the rest of us.

DF
Thanks guys for your help.
Compared to CA, AK should be a piece of cake...

DF
I've run into the "I can't ship a gun out of the country."

I then explained that Alaska was indeed a state.

He then replied "What if it's on a plane, flying over Canada"

You can only do so much with stupid.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've run into the "I can't ship a gun out of the country."

I then explained that Alaska was indeed a state.

You can only do so much with stupid.

laugh

For sure...

DF
There are 50 states.

There are 49 continental states.

There are 48 contiguous states.

Alaska is the three largest states...........uh, larger than the next three combined.... crazy

Isn’t that why only Alaskan citizens are issued passports at birth? wink
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
There are 50 states.

There are 49 continental states.

There are 48 contiguous states.

Alaska is the three largest states...........uh, larger than the next three combined.... crazy

Isn’t that why only Alaskan citizens are issued passports at birth? wink

There are 58 states:

Proof that there are 58 states
Ok, I got one. Traveling through Canada, I realize I can't bring my handgun. Can I ship it to a PO, in say, TOK, "general" delivery to me? I show up at the PO, ask for my package, and show my ID.

Alan
Originally Posted by GSSP
Ok, I got one. Traveling through Canada, I realize I can't bring my handgun. Can I ship it to a PO, in say, TOK, "general" delivery to me? I show up at the PO, ask for my package, and show my ID.

Alan

No
google be your friend, well to find those regs

google be your enemy too
Just returned from a trip to Cordova. Shipped a rifle to myself in AK and back home (NYS). Found clear and specific wording in USPS regs permitting exactly this.
As a tip, the post office has a new large flat rate box the measures a hair under 24" long, more than enough for my take down Savage 99 and it case. $18 and change each way, plus whatever insurance makes you happy.
Threw my ammo in my checked baggage.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by KC

Really??? This has been posted a million times here. There is NO requirement for FFL to FFL on long guns and the OP clearly stated "rifle."

Anyone can legally ship a long gun to an FFL in any state.

Sitka deer:

I assume that you are correct. But FFL to FFL works. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

KCV

Right, let's tell everyone to go use an FFL at each end so the FFLs can each charge for the service... yeah, that is great advice...
Things is already infringed, so what difference does it make at this point?
What is the cost to ship a typical rem 700 to Anchorage from say Phoenix?
Originally Posted by Rusky
What is the cost to ship a typical rem 700 to Anchorage from say Phoenix?

I have shipped several from Anchorage to all over the US in the last week. Generally they were in larger boxes than typical, but ran around $60 for Priority, USPS. UPS to AK sucks.

I did send one by cheaper Ground service and it cost a little bit more, but included insurance.

Standard 700 boxes were not much less.
Thanks,
There is an option not usually mentioned. You can ship it to yourself in care of someone there receiving it for you. This could be used for a hunting or fishing trip. Also if you are moving up there and know someone that is willing to receive it for you. The person receiving it for you cannot open the package, you have to do it. The reasoning from the BATFE site is ownership is not being changed.
© 24hourcampfire