Home
Has anyone read this book and if so did they think it was a good read? I have heard several conflicting reports on it.

Many thanks, I appreciate it.
I've enjoyed reading it, though it doesn't rate as writing/content that I'd put at the top of my list. I'd call it worthwhile, especially to borrow from the library or pick up used.
Yup, no Pullitzer for it, for sure.
Thanks Mark and Art. I'll check our local library or try to find a used paperback copy.

Someone told me about it a few months ago when we were in Juneau and discussing the book "Panhandle Pilot: Twenty Years of Flying in Southeast Alaska" This person suggested "Wager with the Wind" as a great read. I have since gotten quite a few comments similar to your two.

Thanks again, I value your input.
The book is good only because it is about Sheldon who was a fascinating and unique character.

Author Jim Greiner's writing can be a bit tiring with repeated phrasing.

Worth the read, nonetheless.

10 bucks for the Kindle version.
Originally Posted by ironbender

You convinced me to spend the princely sum of $2.50 on a supposedly very good paperback copy Mike. laugh

I look forward to reading about Mr. Sheldon.

Many thanks for your input.
Other worthwhile Alaska aviation reads include:

Mercy Pilot - the Joe Crosson story

In the Shadow of Eagles - Rudy Billberg (Jim Reardon was behind this book I believe, therefore quite easy to read.)

Those are just two that pop into my head quickly, but there are others as well.

I hope you enjoy it. I enjoy reading the stories when anything here was possible and doable - just go out and do it.

Other non-aviation books that are worthwhile include:

Alaska's Wolfman
Shadows along the Koyukok
Alaska's No.1 Guide

I'll put Klik's reco's in my que.
Originally Posted by Idared

You convinced me to spend the princely sum of $2.50 on a supposedly very good paperback copy Mike. laugh

And, if you don't like it, remember these other jabronis (where'd I learn THAT term?) reco'd it too!!
Originally Posted by Idared

And, if you don't like it, remember these other jabronis (where'd I learn THAT term?) reco'd it too!!

I hear tell you're well read

or well bred

or something

ya big jabroni grin
In my case, I think 'well bled' would be fitting, though the IRS doesn't ever seem to get that memo, based on their annual fundraising efforts.
With all the good book suggestions I can tell it will be a good winter. wink

Thanks again folks.
The Flying North by Jean Potter...
Looky there! It's BroD!
Reading Genes de Large: an Alaskan Diary and Memoir by Frederick Kent and so far it is a worthy read and quite well-written.

Lake Chandalar in the far North is a corruption of Genes de Large and the source of the title. The author built a cabin there and spent a month a year for a couple decades.

It is a better written thing than average and the story is a tad bit shallow compared to the writing quality, so far...
Head Winds, by Willy Lou Warbelow is another you may want to look at. Been a long time since I've read it, so I really can't say much about it, except that it's still on my bookshelf. Most books I don't want to read again go to Fleabay or yard sale.
Originally Posted by Brother Dave
The Flying North by Jean Potter...

how the F are you Dave?

great to hear from you, hope Bill and the rest of the clan are fat, sassy and happy
All good! Hope you guys also!!
yep all good here

are you home cleaning sand outa your gear?
One more week!
© 24hourcampfire