Home
Posted By: Three30Eight Brown Bear Question - 10/27/16
Hey Guys,

Just curious as to whether or not you all eat Brown or Grizz. Ive never heard talk of it but I'm a big fan of Black Bear meat...was just wondering what it tasted like etc.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/27/16
Brown bear,grizzly meat tends to be coarser than the black bear I have eaten, but can be decent fare. As with any omnivore - and sometimes even the herbivores- what they have been eating greatly influences the flavor of the flesh. With brownies you can often tell what you'll do with the meat based on a sniff of their paws. (That's because I'm not fond of the smell of rotting seals and walrus; not saying YMMV or not. smile )
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/27/16
Ate spring brown bears a couple times and it was not as good as black bear, but not bad. Tasted a fall bear once that was horrible... fishy and just plain foul.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/27/16
I have had interior grizzly killed in the spring and would have a hard time telling it from black bear. Spring Brown bear can be OK, or at least the best cuts, but as a rule it's almost as bad as rutty caribou.
Had a hunter this spring who wanted to eat the testicles of his brown bear and sliced thin and fried in bacon grease most folks went back for seconds.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/27/16
Phil, If you'd quit killing only the critters that are as old and tough as well-seasoned bear guides, they might be better table fare. wink
Posted By: ironbender Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/27/16
Originally Posted by 458Win
I have had interior grizzly killed in the spring and would have a hard time telling it from black bear. Spring Brown bear can be OK, or at least the best cuts, but as a rule it's almost as bad as rutty caribou.
Had a hunter this spring who wanted to eat the testicles of his brown bear and sliced thin and fried in bacon grease most folks went back for seconds.

Is that from fall diet residue or spring scavenging?
Posted By: 458Win Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/28/16
they have bigger nuts !
Posted By: 458Win Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/28/16
Originally Posted by ironbender

Is that from fall diet residue or spring scavenging?

I needed an editor on that one as I meant FALL brown bear can be almost as difficult to eat as rutty caribou.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/28/16
10-4. Thanks!
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/28/16
they have bigger nuts !

Uhh........ old....... bears or guides? laugh
Posted By: ironbender Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/28/16
Both. Didn't you see the 9 mm thread?
wink
Is this where we resort to riddles?

"How do you tell a big ol' bore bear from a curmudgeonly ol' bear guide?"

Yeah, "The guide has bigger nuts." laugh
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/28/16
Originally Posted by ironbender
Both. Didn't you see the 9 mm thread?
wink

That seals it...
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/28/16
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

One thing that always cracks me up is how small brown bear peckers are compared to black bears...
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

One thing that always cracks me up is how small brown bear peckers are compared to black bears...

I suppose that correlates to the big truck method of compensating for....something. smile
Posted By: 458Win Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/29/16
After that incident I think mine shrunk a little
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/29/16

They had to... walking would have been impossible...
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/29/16

Well, not everyone can say they earned a 'reverse hernia' in the line of duty. laugh
Posted By: goldroger Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/29/16
they are awesome source of protein, i have had roasted brown bear
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/29/16
"Awesome" has many definitions...
Posted By: Stick1330 Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/31/16
What do most game units require to harvest off a brown bear as far as meat? Is there a food bank type service that accepts it?
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/31/16
No meat salvage requirement on brown bears... due to Trichinella issues food banks will not touch bear meat...

Some goof balls a number of years ago were making a huge "Feed the people" type program and were giving away thousands of pounds of pink salmon being tossed by processors after egg stripping.

Ripe humpies are salable to processors because the eggs are very profitable. But good eggs come from fish too mature to want to eat. They get ground into fish meal. Someone got the idea to not waste the protein and people lined up around the block to get their mushy humpies...

So the right effort might make brown bears salvageable for a while!
Posted By: 458Win Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/31/16
One year a local Safari Club chapter in Michigan asked me if I would ship them two hind quarters of Brown Bear for their local game feed if they would pay for the shipping. I did -- and they have never asked for it again.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Brown Bear Question - 10/31/16
One year a local Safari Club chapter in Michigan asked me if I would ship them two hind quarters of Brown Bear for their local game feed if they would pay for the shipping. I did -- and they have never asked for it again.

Maybe they still have it hanging in hope of aging it until it's 'perfect'? sick
Posted By: powderburner Re: Brown Bear Question - 11/11/16
Brown bears hate black bears. I think it's mostly jealousy. Seen six foot black bears better hung that most large brownies!!
I have also never gone back for brown bear meat seconds. Flavor of a fall interior grizzly is good but texture and the amount of chewing wore me out.
I have heard sausage of grizzly is good, also hear sausage made
From old carharts is good too....
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Brown Bear Question - 11/11/16
smile ROFL here, I think the carhartts might be the better choice.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Brown Bear Question - 11/15/16
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Is it true what they say about blacks and going back? wink
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Brown Bear Question - 11/15/16
Brown bears have tiny peckers for their body size...
Posted By: SKane Re: Brown Bear Question - 11/16/16

laugh laugh

Posted By: hanco Re: Brown Bear Question - 12/05/16
I bet its scary to walk up on a bear
Posted By: powderburner Re: Brown Bear Question - 12/06/16
It's scarier telling my wife I'm weathered in bear camp and will miss Mother's Day....
Posted By: cdparker Re: Brown Bear Question - 12/06/16
Grind it up three times and the dogs still won't eat it. Did you see that General Mattis has a bear rug in his living room. It's not dead, it' just too scared to move.
Posted By: hanco Re: Brown Bear Question - 12/13/16
That's funny
© 24hourcampfire