Home
Posted By: las fiberglass floc - 04/15/17
Any one have a large bag of Brownells floc they need gone at reasonable markup? Shipping is prohibitive for just one. $10 for the floc, $16 for ground shipping. Thank you OSHA! We are from the gov't.....

Or I might order a half dozen or more and peddle the extras. At a bit of mark-up of course... smile

I'll be in Anchorage Sat afternoon, 22nd.
Posted By: 60n148w Re: fiberglass floc - 04/15/17
Go to the hobby shop and get some Micro Ballon.
Posted By: las Re: fiberglass floc - 04/15/17
thanks for the tip. I'll google it.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: fiberglass floc - 04/15/17
Amazon Prime has it for $7.95 shipped to AK
Posted By: watch4bear Re: fiberglass floc - 04/15/17
Amazon is anti-gun; but hey, its your throat grin
Posted By: las Re: fiberglass floc - 04/15/17
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Amazon Prime has it for $7.95 shipped to AK

has what? after googling, I don't think the ballon is what i want. Who needs some fiberglas floc in quantity? Looks like I'll order a bunch. save you suckers a couple bucks.... smile
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: fiberglass floc - 04/16/17
I would think one of the local fiberglass suppliers would have floc... Last time I needed some I made it out of cloth...
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: fiberglass floc - 04/16/17
Originally Posted by 60n148w
Go to the hobby shop and get some Micro Ballon.

Not the same thing. Micro balloons are used to create a light filler, flock is chopped up glass used to make to add strength.

LAS, how much do you need? I got a tub of it from Fiberglass supply and am more than happy to mail you some.
Posted By: las Re: fiberglass floc - 04/16/17
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I would think one of the local fiberglass suppliers would have floc... Last time I needed some I made it out of cloth...

Me too- probably what I'll do next weekend- I have quite a bit of cloth in Stering. PITA tho.

Thanks for the offer 458 - but I'll cover it as above. And check for fiberglass suppliers locally.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: fiberglass floc - 04/16/17
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Amazon is anti-gun; but hey, its your throat grin

Good luck buying your groceries and getting your oil changed in your gun store.

Oops, forgot about Walmart. grin

eek
Posted By: rost495 Re: fiberglass floc - 04/16/17
McKenzie Taxidermy supply sells it by the pound IIRC. I don't see why it would be haz mat? You never know.

Posted By: Klikitarik Re: fiberglass floc - 04/16/17
Originally Posted by rost495
McKenzie Taxidermy supply sells it by the pound IIRC. I don't see why it would be haz mat? You never know.

It's probably identified as "shards of glass" or some such. I know pure carbon (basic barbeque charcoal) is classed as hazmat for some reason that make no sense, consequently is around $40 for an amount that normally sells for $10 or less.
Posted By: rost495 Re: fiberglass floc - 04/16/17
Yep you never know. I know it never was haz mat to ship it to my shop.

But AK shipping is a whole other world.
Posted By: las Re: fiberglass floc - 04/17/17
Hazmat because it is basically fiberglass powder. Only a rung or two down from asbestos if you breath it. Or get it on your skin. Nasty stuff to get loose in a passenger plane (or anywhere else), so it has to come UPS, and they don't run trucks up here from down there.

My wife bought a fancy chandalier (sp?) light for the bedroom (I was holding out for mirrors, dammit!). "Free shipping!" Ground in America...But $100 to Alaska UPS.

We picked it up at her sister's in Billings, repacked it slightly to meet carry-on dims (basically losing one level of packing foam), and brought it up that way. We were going down anyway, and it was only a couple weeks longer in getting here, and it wasn't broken!
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: fiberglass floc - 04/21/17
It's kind of surprising that things like ordinary black pepper can be mailed and shipped on passenger aircraft. Imagine what could happen if a can of that went 'whoof'; worse if it was cayenne!

Fire starting contest? You can use charcoal (prohibited), I'll use craft tissue paper (a-okay).
Posted By: las Re: fiberglass floc - 04/22/17
I posted this before- but again...

Tried to bring back a pound of fluxed brazing rod I'd bought in Kotz (Propane/butane doesn't work!) in checked baggage.. It had flames on the package. Says it could produce noxious fumes at working temp - 1500 degrees).

My contention was that at 1500 degrees the aircraft had more problems than a pound of fluxed brazing rod. TSA wasn't buying it- those flames on the cardboard packaging you know. A few weeks later I threw it into my checked baggage wrapped in Saran Wrap. No problem!
Posted By: kk alaska Re: fiberglass floc - 04/22/17
Las got the micro balloons in today quart sized container.
Posted By: las Re: fiberglass floc - 04/23/17
Don't want microballoons, but thanks. I'm chopping some cloth tomorrow for what I want. PITA, but it will do.
© 24hourcampfire