Home
Posted By: Ringman Adak Island? - 04/19/17
Anyone hunted Adak Island? How remote is the area away from the city?
Posted By: Muffin Re: Adak Island? - 04/19/17
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8585028,-176.6517607,1629m/data=!3m1!1e3
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Adak Island? - 04/19/17
Its only 1192 air miles from anchorage.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Adak Island? - 04/19/17
3 hour flight from Anchorage; about 1200 miles and $1200.

[Linked Image]
Do you have GOOGLE on your computer?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Adak Island? - 04/19/17
Originally Posted by Ringman
Anyone hunted Adak Island? How remote is the area away from the city?

It's much closer to Egegik than Anchorage.
The National Forest on Adak is nice too.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Adak Island? - 04/19/17
$1200.

You couldn't drive it for that wink
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Adak Island? - 04/19/17
I've been to Cold Bay. That was PFR. Guessing Adak is too. Just a guess you understand.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Adak Island? - 04/19/17
Wow.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Adak Island? - 04/19/17
National Forest on Adak-- 4 trees (used to be)
We just about got kicked off of Adak once. We weren't allowed back into the club.

I know a Navy helicopter got USCG painted on it's underside that night.
Good times revisited.
It was a long running tradition. Had a CO that was maced on a bus taking a bunch of Coasties back to the boat. The Navy has never gotten over us nailing their wives..
Somebody had to do it and you guys weren't busy.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Adak Island? - 04/19/17
None of you guys are making any sense. Have any of you guys actually been there?
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Adak Island? - 04/19/17
You're the one not making any sense. There is no city on Adak.

You pay a lot of money to fly out there. You pay more money to have a native to drive you around on a 4 wheeler. And maybe you shoot a caribou.

Much better hunting options for caribou. Do some research.
None of you guys are making any sense. Have any of you guys actually been there?

Several times.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Adak Island? - 04/19/17
I flew over it three times, on the way to the other place on that map with 4 letters, that starts with an "A". It was free, too! I think I even got a unit coin or two from Lorsta Attu back when there was one.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
You're the one not making any sense. There is no city on Adak.

You pay a lot of money to fly out there. You pay more money to have a native to drive you around on a 4 wheeler. And maybe you shoot a caribou.

Much better hunting options for caribou. Do some research.

My son-in-law flew in there in the 1990's. There was a military base. The military left but all the buildings are still there. Today I checked and Alaska Air flies in there. I called the game department and they told me there are caribou on the end away from the populated area that can only be accessed by boat.
Just hike over to that side.
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Adak Island? - 04/19/17
I met a guy once who was a teacher there. He didn't not have too many good things to say about it.
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
I met a guy once who was a teacher there. He didn't not have too many good things to say about it.

Same thing from my son-in-law. Nothing good.
Originally Posted by ironbender

How far would that be?
Posted By: Muffin Re: Adak Island? - 04/19/17

How far would that be?

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8585028,-176.6517607,1629m/data=!3m1!1e3

Expand map

Right click on Adak

Select Measure Distance

Left click on where you want to go....

Posted By: rost495 Re: Adak Island? - 04/20/17
DSMF comes to mind....
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Adak Island? - 04/20/17

Bring sneakers, it's a bit of a walk but very dry.
Posted By: double tap Re: Adak Island? - 04/20/17
Don't let these nay-sayers sway you. Adak has some of the best caribou hunting in Alaska, and it's super easy to get around on the island once you're there. Plus, you can get all your supplies in town so you don't have to bring everything with you. Enjoy!
Posted By: Rodell Re: Adak Island? - 04/20/17
It is windy and wet. You can get lodging in "town" if you arrange it, likely in the old school or one of the abandoned houses that get kept up for that purpose. You can sometimes rent 4-wheelers, but there are places they are not allowed to go. Reservations for anything you want to rent must be done well in advance as there aren't many.

A hunt there is strictly a DIY deal. You have to get a land access pass from the local corporation, they seem to hold most of it near the roads and you'll need to cross their land.

There are about 300 people on the island. I think most are running from something!

Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Adak Island? - 04/20/17
They are running from the caribou stampedes... duh!
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Adak Island? - 04/21/17
I looked at doing a hunt on Adak several years ago but decided against it. 😬
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Adak Island? - 04/22/17
Originally Posted by double tap
Don't let these nay-sayers sway you. Adak has some of the best caribou hunting in Alaska, and it's super easy to get around on the island once you're there. Plus, you can get all your supplies in town so you don't have to bring everything with you. Enjoy!

Must be a booking agent

Knows his stuff
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Adak Island? - 04/22/17
Between this thread and the True Grit thread I went to Netflix to watch True Grit again but every time I have a specific title in mind Netflix doesn't have it as one of their 30 trillion titles so I went to the old standby, documentaries. Now I'm watching a 1943 color documentary about our boys on Kiska.

Gotta go they're gonna bomb some more Japs. 😁
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Adak Island? - 04/22/17
Well the National forest had many more than 4 trees, My Beloved D.D. (a Doberman) is buried there. It is very remote tundra, rolling hills and lots of small streams that you can not see. Interesting hunt. There is or was a town, I was stationed there in the late 80's. No idea what it is like now. I would guess the larger buildings are still there. Large Barrels (Survival) were spotted all over the island in the hunting areas. A good hike to get to the herd, they are constantly moving.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Adak Island? - 04/22/17
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

$2,200 to Adack and $700 to Fairbanks. Then another $700 or $800 for a bush plane and I'm still way ahead to go to Fairbanks. In fact I could buy a couple of the $200 tags and still be good. It looks like I'm like you.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Adak Island? - 04/22/17
$200 tags for what?

Non-resident caribou tags are $650 now.......

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=huntlicense.prices
Posted By: rost495 Re: Adak Island? - 04/23/17
LOL, who knows where ring gets his "info" most of the time....
Posted By: Ringman Re: Adak Island? - 04/23/17
Originally Posted by rost495

I got it from my memory. How many times have you been to Alaska? What did you hunt?
Originally Posted by FishinHank
$200 tags for what?

Non-resident caribou tags are $650 now.......

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=huntlicense.prices

Thanks for the link. It's been a while since I was there. Last time I went one could buy a $200 and legally kill anything up to a moose. I guess it costs the state a lot more to feed and clothe their animals now.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Adak Island? - 04/23/17

I got it from my memory. How many times have you been to Alaska? What did you hunt?

To my knowledge he has been up here a lot to hunt moose. Just FYI.

The higher cost non-resident tags were overdue IMO. The cost of the tags were a lot lower than a lot of other states, gotta pay to play. I bought my hunting/fishing/trapping licenses for both 2017 and 2018 before the prices went up. Saved over $60.

The higher cost non-resident tags were overdue IMO. The cost of the tags were a lot lower than a lot of other states, gotta pay to play. I bought my hunting/fishing/trapping licenses for both 2017 and 2018 before the prices went up. Saved over $60.

Should that justify him being a jerk?
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Adak Island? - 04/23/17

Should that justify him being a jerk?

One man's comedian is another man's jerk...
Posted By: Nelson Re: Adak Island? - 04/23/17
I was there in 2005 and had a great time and took a great Bull. It was basically an abandoned naval base at that time. Not much going on.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Adak Island? - 04/23/17
I thought the price increase was a little steep- pretty much double. Not often you see that.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I thought the price increase was a little steep- pretty much double. Not often you see that.

Yup. Sticker shock for me. I may hunt a couple of the Western states for about the $6,000 I would spend on that one hunt.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Adak Island? - 04/23/17

I'd think this not applicable to the topic at hand.

If I had not been to, Oh lets just say CO, recently... IE had not applied for this years tag or bought it, I"d be googling the Parks folks and get the data before I'd just blatantly post what is obviously old info.

Just the way I'd do it anyway.

Sure wish I could have experienced AK when a caribou tag was 200 but it was good for up to moose.

And oh yes I've actually seen where AK is on a map.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Adak Island? - 04/23/17
I would love to go back again, visit my dogs grave look around and go for another Caribou hunt, My son was born there, very fond memories. "The Birthplace of the Winds" Unfortunately I doubt it is in the cards.
Posted By: Twinkletoes Re: Adak Island? - 04/23/17
Good grief Ringman, whachya do? Kill off all the critters in that Rogue Valley. When I was a youngster, we had to chase them dern deer outa out clove fields, had to take a big switch, and chase them bear outa the apple orchard. with pickin's like that, I had no desire to be any place else!(Wimer) However, now here I am, were the pickin's are a bit better then what I grew up with!
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Adak Island? - 04/23/17

$2,200 to Adack and $700 to Fairbanks. Then another $700 or $800 for a bush plane and I'm still way ahead to go to Fairbanks. In fact I could buy a couple of the $200 tags and still be good. It looks like I'm like you.

It wasn't the air plane costs that dissuaded me since I've got an inside on that, it's that, for me, it wasn't what I picture for an Alaskan caribou hunt. My fascination for exploration and crossing off remote corners was the driving force. I probably would have fished most of the time anyway since I'm a halibut junky.
Posted By: HARDBALLER Re: Adak Island? - 04/24/17

You don't have to pay $2200 for a flight to ADK from MFR. What you can do is buy airmiles from Alaska Airlines. If you catch a sale for those miles, you can sometimes get them cheap, 2.3 cents per mile. RT ticket from MFR to ADK on certain days only require 25,000 miles. That works out to be the same as the commercial flight to FBK. Another option is to sign up for the Alaska Airlines Signature card. Bank of America will give you a 30,000 miles sign up bonus. Again this is for the Signature card and not the Platinum card.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Adak Island? - 04/24/17

If I had not been to, Oh lets just say CO, recently... IE had not applied for this years tag or bought it, I"d be googling the Parks folks and get the data before I'd just blatantly post what is obviously old info.

Sure wish I could have experienced AK when a caribou tag was 200 but it was good for up to moose.

Can't help yourself in not being a smart mouth. I'm sorry for you.
HARDBALLER,

Thanks, for that info.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Adak Island? - 04/24/17

Can't help yourself in not being a smart mouth. I'm sorry for you.

Don't waste your time. I'm good. Might even see AK one of these days.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Adak Island? - 04/24/17
Ring-
Are you going to Adak or not?
Ring-

Were you wanting to tag along?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Adak Island? - 04/24/17
Ring-

Is that an answer?
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Adak Island? - 04/24/17
Socrates called earlier looking for a letter of recommendation...
Posted By: rost495 Re: Adak Island? - 04/25/17
Ring-

Is that an answer?
For him that might be as close as you can get.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Adak Island? - 04/25/17
I gotta wonder if R-man is related to Don/Savage 99
Posted By: rost495 Re: Adak Island? - 04/25/17
Keyboard...
© 24hourcampfire