Home
Posted By: Ptarmigan And one more mauling - 06/19/17
Pogo mine contractor this time.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/alask...a3a1e60-553d-11e7-9618-df1c4a4bb5fc.html

POGO MINE, Alaska – Pogo Mine company officials have confirmed a fatal bear attack on a contract employee this morning.

The incident has been reported to the Mine Safety & Health Administration and to the Alaska State Troopers. The mine is cooperating with the appropriate agencies to investigate.

Pogo is an underground gold mine 38 miles northeast of Delta Junction in the Goodpaster River valley. It is owned and operated by Sumitomo Metal Mining Pogo LLC. The mine operates year-round, with about 350 full-time and 150 contract employees. Employees live on-site for multi-day shifts in a camp environment.

It is the second fatal bear attack in two days in Alaska. On Sunday, a 16-year-old runner participating in a race on a mountain ridge southeast of Anchorage was fatally mauled by a black bear.

No further details are available at this time.
Posted By: NMiller Re: And one more mauling - 06/20/17
Crazy, two bear killings in as many days. Pogo employees aren't allowed to carry guns.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: And one more mauling - 06/20/17
He was a contractor... are they allowed to carry? Seems sending folks into bear country unarmed should be criminal...
Posted By: VernAK Re: And one more mauling - 06/20/17
I've never seen a black bear in that area.....many grizzlies.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: And one more mauling - 06/20/17

Originally Posted by VernAK
I've never seen a black bear in that area.....many grizzlies.

A co-worker's hubby works at the mine. He called her last nite to say he was ok. Definitely a grizz. 2 geotech worker were attacked.
Posted By: Ringman Re: And one more mauling - 06/20/17
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
He was a contractor... are they allowed to carry? Seems sending folks into bear country unarmed should be criminal...

Seems like carrying a gun there would be like wearing hearing protection in a woodshop.
Posted By: akmtnrunner Re: And one more mauling - 06/26/17
http://www.newsminer.com/news/alask...15c2f2c-5857-11e7-82e2-e3c489ff775b.html

Posting just for the record. It was a black bear and probably predatorial.

Besides the maulings, there seems like there are just soooooo many black bears this summer. Weird stuff.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: And one more mauling - 07/10/17
Seems like someone should be armed with a short shotgun.
© 24hourcampfire