Home
Posted By: las Kasilof Red - 06/22/17
Just finished processing days catch from PU gill net. Kinda slow. 8 in the first 20 minutes the net was wet, 9 more over the next 4 hours. Not counting the one the seal stole, leaving behind a basketball sized hole. Bastid!

I am impressed with how deep-bodied they are this year. Kinda short, but the fillets are running inch to inch and a quarter at deepest point. Not like the ones I caught dip-netting last year, which were pretty much snakes.- small, shallow-bodied, with fillets only about a half inch thick (deepest part).

did catch one that was either a Kenai Red, or had aspirations there-of...

If relevancy in suize between the two rivers holds true, there are gonna be some HAWGS in the Kenai this year! Hang on, I'll post a couple pics from the cell...
Posted By: las Re: Kasilof Red - 06/22/17
Not kenai river, but still nice fish. These were Numbers 13-15.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: kid0917 Re: Kasilof Red - 06/22/17
Originally Posted by las
Not counting the one the seal stole, leaving behind a basketball sized hole. ...

Underachiever, there. smile

Nice looking fish. I haven't eaten fish or seriously tried to catch any since I left AK 6 years ago. I put reds above kings for flavor and desirability. We used to run 50 fathoms for reds over at Litnik, sometimes there at the Buskin.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Kasilof Red - 06/22/17
Nice. I'm going to miss the run this year. Use up my vacation time on a grizzly hunt in June.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Kasilof Red - 06/22/17
Dang those look good,las Congrats

I'm with kid I prefer reds over kings, blasphemy to some I know, but I like what I like
Posted By: rost495 Re: Kasilof Red - 06/22/17
that looks tasty. Can't wait. LOL

ALways wish there were salmon close to Delta after moose, around the 16th or so, but don't take that as complaining. Just not enough time off to stay till early October...
Posted By: mart Re: Kasilof Red - 06/22/17
I was down on the Copper last week and my buddy and I picked up 40 in ten hours. Not great but not bad. Several others reported slow dipping. The fish were big this year. Looked more like Kenai reds than Copper River fish. Our smallest fish this year would have been the biggest fish two years ago on my last trip.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kasilof Red - 06/22/17
Wow! Hawgs for the Castle Off!
Posted By: las Re: Kasilof Red - 06/23/17
Kings are better than reds eaten fresh, unfrozen, we think, but for freezer fish, we like the reds better.

Too much trouble to catch a king (tourist fish) , except as by-catch...
© 24hourcampfire