Home
Posted By: colorado bob dall sheep - 08/02/17
who's going sheep hunting this year? Make sure to post photo. Nothing more impressive.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: dall sheep - 08/02/17

Heading to Tok in 2 weeks. My 25 YO son drew a TMA early season tag. I'm along for the "ride" (he needs to hunt w/ kinfolk) Dropped a lot of weight - lightest I've been in 25+ years (just a skosh under 200#)

I've got two rifles/loads ready for him to make the agonizing decision on when he gets here next week. A Kimber Montana in 300 WSM (last year's X-mas prezzy) shooting 150 TTSX's and a Tikka T3 stainless/fluted in .260 Rem shooting 143 ELD-X's. Both rifles are pretty much equal in weight, but the Tikka is more accurate.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: dall sheep - 08/02/17
Nothing like a sheep tag for motivation to get into shape. Good Luck on the hunt. I like Tikka, that's my pick
Posted By: las Re: dall sheep - 08/02/17
Take the most accurate. I likely don't need to add "know the trajectory and take a rangefinder".

Often not necessary, but....

I took "my" first 3 rams at 20 yds, 50 yds, and (wife's), 70 yds, respectively. Hers was biggest. 3 successive years, all within a half mile of each other.

When you find something that works, why change it? smile

Looking forward to some pics and a yarn.
Posted By: ironbender Re: dall sheep - 08/02/17
Good for you on the weight, MM. Good luck to your 'kid' too!

Has anyone, anywhere, ever come back from a sheep or goat hunt and wished they had trained less? smile
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: dall sheep - 08/02/17

Originally Posted by colorado bob
I like Tikka, that's my pick

It would be mine too (this is my mtn rifle). My son has been on a couple of sheep hunts and they have encountered aggressive grizzlies both times. I'd want the 300 WSM / 150 TTSX if I knew that was going to be an issue.

Anyone have info on the Stibnite Cr. / Tushtena Pass area?
Posted By: rost495 Re: dall sheep - 08/03/17
Spencer leaves soon, to set up camp for their hunters, think he said the season opened on the 10th.

Maybe one of these days I'll get really lucky OR win the lottery.
Posted By: BCJR Re: dall sheep - 08/03/17
I took a Tikka on a past hunt. Killed this ram no problem , and although it was a lowly 30-06 I didn't feel under gunned for bears
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ironbender Re: dall sheep - 08/03/17
Originally Posted by rost495
Spencer leaves soon, to set up camp for their hunters, think he said the season opened on the 10th.

Lottery = draw hunt?
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: dall sheep - 08/03/17
Tikka would be my pick solely based on accuracy and equal weights

Killed a ram once that the only shot was over the rump of a ewe and neck of the ram was it or nothing

Felt entirely comfortable that I could put 3'shots outa that rifle into the size of a cigarette pack.

Worked out okay.

Lookin forward to the pix and story. By god but I miss hunting the high country for Dall sheep

I wouldn't feel unarmed with a .260 either killing griz has this in common with everything else, shot placement, shot placement, and well you know, shot placement
Posted By: rost495 Re: dall sheep - 08/04/17
Originally Posted by ironbender

Lottery = draw hunt?

LOL, lottery meaning cash to pay someone to haul me.

Lucky meaning we both live another 1548 days so we can become residents and then play the game locally affordably. LOL.
And by the time that happens, they all may be draw hunts... is what it is.

Won't keep us from heading up and at least taking pictures and finding a nice stream or lake to fish if nothing else for a few days.
Posted By: ironbender Re: dall sheep - 08/04/17
Originally Posted by ironbender

Lottery = draw hunt?

LOL, lottery meaning cash to pay someone to haul me.

Lucky meaning we both live another 1548 days so we can become residents and then play the game locally affordably. LOL.

Include a year in your calcs to become a res.
Yep, should be to old to hunt them by that time. LOL.
Posted By: ironbender Re: dall sheep - 08/05/17
Don't be a puss Jeff!
Posted By: rost495 Re: dall sheep - 08/05/17
LOL
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: dall sheep - 08/08/17
Good luck to all heading out in a day or two. Hope you have blue skies and see a double broomer!
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: dall sheep - 08/09/17

Anyone have a taxidermist recommendation near Tok? Don't want to go all the way to FBX as we will be heading back to Haines when things are over.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: dall sheep - 08/10/17
Frank Entsminger is an incredible taxidermist. He guides there and is sheep obsessed.
Excuse me, he is in Glenallen.
Memories! He is in Tok, like I originally thought.
Posted By: ironbender Re: dall sheep - 08/10/17
Al Z. Heimer
Posted By: luv2safari Re: dall sheep - 08/10/17
Where is dogzapper in this thread? He needs to chime in.

Best of luck to all on the hunts and stay safe.
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Where is dogzapper in this thread? He needs to chime in.

Best of luck to all on the hunts and stay safe.

He already hung a picture of his monster...
Posted By: GrizzlyKid Re: dall sheep - 08/12/17
Frank is one of the best of the best amongst sheep people. If you can talk him into mounting your ram, you are a lucky man indeed.
© 24hourcampfire