Home
OK,we have a mess of Berry's at our cabin, hordes of picking every year......this year 12. Countem... Berry's THAT is it 12 berry's.... This is in a 3mile stretch......what happen?
Better watch for the bears.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

Yup, they need them to put on fat (insulin triggered by carbs required both to store and use carbs) and they get grumpy and hungry when they do not get them...
We weren't alone in squeezing the White Mountains. Big bushes which were laid flat previously with nearly a pint per, had a single berry or three this year. We finished this year's berries on pancakes this morning. mad (Momma gave me the silent treatment and never wants to drive the Denali highway again after finding no good spots there either- though I have heard some are finding berries around Cantwell.)

I was thinking the bears might be easier for hunter to find closer to rivers this year.
I use to love picking the berries and then sealing a bunch in a ziploc bag for a few hours. The worms would be bailing out of the berries left and right.
Yep doesn't seem to be a good berry year

Lots of our go to spots pretty meager

We got 4 gallons up the Steese and another 3'gallons in broad pass 7 gallons is all we got last year as well but 12 the year before that
Down here in Oregon we had zero for cherries, apples, apricots, and plums. Timely frost hit every flowering. In 2016 there were bumper crops of everything. Actually tossed apples to the deer and bunnies for that entire winter. This year, they will have to eat hay.
Only dingleberries around here!
My blue berry black bear is going to starve...didn't even see one grouse... Don't have a clue as to what went wrong, but judging from the water rutted up trail/to much rain...
Posted By: las Re: Any blueberry, experts ….or - 08/20/17
No problem up here. I suspect late freeze got your blossoms Rain can do it also
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

Yup, they need them to put on fat (insulin triggered by carbs required both to store and use carbs) and they get grumpy and hungry when they do not get them...

Yep. That's why I started a volunteer group from Seattle that encourages REI members and their friends to collect the berries and feed the bears. It serves to allow city folks an up close experience while doing something meaningful for the bears. 😉

My berry farmer friends are willing to donate to the cause.

ETA....It's a strictly for profit volunteer organization.
No lack of berries in Alaska range south of Denali preserve, just got done with a hunt, you had to look carefully for a spot that wasn't covered up with berries. Needless to say all the bears were going to town.
Originally Posted by 1973cb450
No lack of berries in Alaska range south of Denali preserve, just got done with a hunt, you had to look carefully for a spot that wasn't covered up with berries. Needless to say all the bears were going to town.

Going to town because the dump was better pickings?

wink wink
Posted By: las Re: Any blueberry, experts ….or - 08/22/17
For the blueberry deprived, I have a gallon I could sell at $40/ oz. I thought $50 was pushing it. smile. Price went up cuz I broke my big toe Friday.....
Originally Posted by las
For the blueberry deprived, I have a gallon I could sell at $40/ oz. I thought $50 was pushing it. smile. Price went up cuz I broke my big toe Friday.....

And you use it for picking berries?

And you still think they are premium berries?
wink
Originally Posted by las

Aint't it funny how karma works? laugh
Lotsa berries of every descripition in Iliamna region.
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by las

LOL!
Posted By: 1234 Re: Any blueberry, experts ….or - 08/22/17
in maine where they grow blueberries commercially they burn the bushes off every two or three years to keep them producing.

Ed
And they taste like cardboard. Our wild berries are tart but with at least 10X the flavor
Originally Posted by las

LOL!

Originally Posted by las

Of

LOL!

Well it isn't easy picking berries without leaving the ATV seat!
We found em!!! Mile 165 on the Richardson, finally found 4 blueberries. LOL
They're working on it

http://mustreadalaska.com/governor-hires-climate-adviser/
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Yeah, no new hires... unless Wanker gets a chub over a hottie... oh wait... chubs may not be his specialty any more...
Degrees in neuroscience and psychology.

How does that make her a climate expert?
Certainly worth 100 PFDs.

I'll give Walker climate advice - we're gonna have some.
Sheesh.
© 24hourcampfire