Home
I would like to get spark plugs and a plug wire set from Rock Auto; then take them to a shop and have them installed in my 2006 Subaru Forester.

Experience with multiple area shops has yielded incompetence, indifference, tomfoolery, deception and fraud. Most recent quote for above job was $450 if they provided the parts. Would not consider the job if I brought the parts. This was from FATS, whose only problem was that they were simply expensive. I can forgive them for trying to sell another $500 worth of unrelated crap, as it's what they do.

I don't mind paying a competent, honest, mechanic for the time, but seriously ... let's just start with competent. Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks!
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/21/17
I've had good luck with Deans Automotive, Big O's, and All Service Automotive. I'm sure you can find complaints about every shop in town though.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/21/17
Jeff
There is a well respected suby shop in slowdotna.
We could drink IPAs whilst you wait.
Thanks everyone!
And no, I'm not a lesbian.

Wait a minute ...
Posted By: rost495 Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/21/17
I'm not saying anything, but are subs plugs hard to change?
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/21/17
Originally Posted by rost495

I think lots of plugs are hard to change anymore, which is undoubtedly why it costs a bunch to change them. I would further venture that the shops prefer to charge sticker price on those parts which I hardly begrudge them considering that it really is a meager part of the bill if the engine mounts need to be loosened and the engine lifted or dropped.

$450 does seem rather steep, but then I don't imagine I'd be able to change half of the six plugs on our car in under three hours worth of tom-foolery, so what with the cost of shop time these days, perhaps it's quite fair.
I've had reasonable experiences at Big Os and Fish motors ....
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/21/17
FATS has saved me a bunch in a number of different ways over a very long stretch of time. Because they are good... they are usually a good choice...

My usual mechanic has folded his tent and moved on... I have no idea where.
Posted By: foogle Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/21/17
remember, it is not what it costs,but how much more it costs..not free anywhere. is it worth 100$ more to be sure it is done right?
Posted By: rost495 Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/21/17
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

I think lots of plugs are hard to change anymore, which is undoubtedly why it costs a bunch to change them. I would further venture that the shops prefer to charge sticker price on those parts which I hardly begrudge them considering that it really is a meager part of the bill if the engine mounts need to be loosened and the engine lifted or dropped.

$450 does seem rather steep, but then I don't imagine I'd be able to change half of the six plugs on our car in under three hours worth of tom-foolery, so what with the cost of shop time these days, perhaps it's quite fair.

It was a simple question. Thats why I asked it. I have been able to change plugs on everything we've ever owned as long as I can recall now. Doesn't mean the next vehicle, if there is a next one, will be different.

I was simply curious if it was one of those like some vettes, motor mounts involved...

My 86 GMC pickup had 2 plugs that took more time than the other 6 but it still was not that bad.

New vehicles I get the plugs out of asap on AL heads, and get another set in with anti seize.

Of course the OP may simply not do auto maintenance or not have the time. I was simply curious.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/21/17
I've used Anchorage Auto Electric and they've done good work and been reasonable. I haven't had an issue using parts of provided.

On some cars swapping plugs can be fairly labor intensive.
Can you buy a brew cheaper at the store than at your favorite pub? Is chicken cheaper at Walmart than the chicken restaurant? Most places need more than their labor charge to keep the doors open. If saving a very few bucks on the plugs and wires bother you, change them yourself.
Another question, why plugs and also wires? Is it time on the maintenance schedule, running bad, or an engine light?
It has been almost 40years since I worked for Continental Motor Company, but the original owners, Peter Adolf and Bahne Martenson would tolerate no BS when it came to our customers! Hopefully they are still doing an excellent job for their customers.
Posted By: WDH Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/22/17
Fish motors is a hidden gem in the mech world and very reasonable prices. Another good one is Matts Automotive. He shuts the doors during moose season so you know hes good people smile

It was a simple question. Thats why I asked it. I have been able to change plugs on everything we've ever owned as long as I can recall now. Doesn't mean the next vehicle, if there is a next one, will be different.

I was simply curious if it was one of those like some vettes, motor mounts involved...

My 86 GMC pickup had 2 plugs that took more time than the other 6 but it still was not that bad.

New vehicles I get the plugs out of asap on AL heads, and get another set in with anti seize.

Of course the OP may simply not do auto maintenance or not have the time. I was simply curious.

Well, you need to remove the air filter box and maybe washer fluid res, if that constitutes "hard."
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

Well, you need to remove the air filter box and maybe washer fluid res, if that constitutes "hard."

Still asking, why are you doing it?
Sorry Butch, I've been in and out here. What's the question -- why am I changing plugs and wires?
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/22/17

Sounds more like "annoying", unless it's -30ยบ or you're trying to explain the procedure to a non-mechanical person over the phone. Lots of stuff is "annoying" in working on many of the vehicles built in the last 2-3 decades. I wish the 'back three' on the Grand Caravan were so simple, but it runs fine with at least 50,000, plus whatever miles they had when we got it with just over 100K, so a bottle of 'something' now and then when it isn't purring like a kitten, and all is well.
Sorry Butch, I've been in and out here. What's the question -- why am I changing plugs and wires?

Yes, I'm curious.Are the coil pacs bad?
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/23/17

Yes. I've done it several times on a Forester. They have a boxer engine and openings to the plugs are right next to the sidewall of the car. Several different sized extensions are essential and you have to get at them from underneath.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/24/17
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Yes. I've done it several times on a Forester. They have a boxer engine and openings to the plugs are right next to the sidewall of the car. Several different sized extensions are essential and you have to get at them from underneath.

One more good reason to avoid lezbarus!
Posted By: rost495 Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/24/17
BTDT from the bottom and yes, multiple extensions and a swivel and electrical tape or duct tape to keep em on never hurts. More a PITA than anything, as long as I can get my hand in there.

Taking other parts off....thats more work.

Replacing coil packs on Moms car IIRC we had to remove a few parts.

Buddy had hell replacing a headlight bulb in his GMC truck, while I replaced complete lights in Moms Lincoln and it was easy peasy.

You just never know.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/24/17
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Whiptail

One more good reason to avoid lezbarus!

The subaru boxer engine has the smoothest idle I've ever seen.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/24/17
I have it on good authority that this issue is resolved.

Also, rest assured that talus is not a girly man nor an idiot. There are valid reasons people post questions sometimes and reading more into it than is on the screen and yumping to conclusions is wasted effort. Savvy?

smile wink
Posted By: rost495 Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/24/17
If addressed to me, I'll assure you there was no negative intended. I see so may subs up there, I was fishing, as I could swallow my pride and buy one! I think they might be a 300 or 500 K mile vehicle IIRC.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/24/17
Not at you Jeff. to the thread.

Notice I replied the OP.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/24/17
Buy the parts and do it your self.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Anchorage Auto Mechanic - 09/25/17
I, too, could really care less what label a vehicle has on it as long as it does what it's supposed to for a good long time. My brother, who has been keeping 'flying bricks' with that propelly thing on top flying reliably for many years, and is also otherwise mechanically inclined, has a rather favorable view of certain Subs, Toys, and especially a line of Swedish origin cars. As you say, lots of Subs up here. It's true, many have 'wrong-thinking' bumper stickers on them, but others don't. Either way, graffiti-tape isn't hard to remove.
© 24hourcampfire