Home
Posted By: Calvin Late Sheep Hunts - 11/24/17
Wondering if anybody had any intel on a later sheep hunt they'd be willing to share either publically or via pm. I'm not privvy to many up north happenings, but if there is a drawing tag that can be effectively hunted after the 15th of Sept without big snow issues, I'll be all ears. I fish until the 15th.
Posted By: GrizzlyKid Re: Late Sheep Hunts - 11/24/17
The season for most general season and permit rifle hunts closes September 20th. If you are a bowhunter, there are some archery only hunters that run later in the season. Good luck and happy thanksgiving!!!
Posted By: Calvin Re: Late Sheep Hunts - 11/24/17
I see that. Looks like DS123 with 1 tag is an option for rifle, and the rest are pretty much bowhunting. I am certified on the bow, but not sure I want to go that route for #1. Happy Thanksgiving too. I really want to give $30 to ADFG for sheep this year.
Posted By: trapperJ Re: Late Sheep Hunts - 11/24/17
Pretty much would be a draw archery Chugach hunt and snow could defiantly be an issue on that one. I'll be back on the island in a few days if you want more info. I'm down south chasing pheasants at the moment.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Late Sheep Hunts - 11/24/17
Not uncommon to get snow at sheep elevations in August.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Late Sheep Hunts - 11/24/17
Originally Posted by trapperJ
Pretty much would be a draw archery Chugach hunt and snow could defiantly be an issue on that one. I'll be back on the island in a few days if you want more info. I'm down south chasing pheasants at the moment.

Thanks, need an excuse to run into you again. Got some questions on access to some of those hunts when you get back.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Late Sheep Hunts - 11/24/17
If you draw DS123, fishing can wait!!!
Posted By: WDH Re: Late Sheep Hunts - 11/25/17
Finish fishing on the 15th. Fly up north on the 16th. Hike/atv/fly in the 17th. Hunt 18, 19, 20th. Its possible....better than staying home....
Posted By: Calvin Re: Late Sheep Hunts - 11/25/17
Put in for the tag drawing, and it didn't include sheep. Etolin Elk (Archery), Ketchikan Goat, Terror Bay Brown Bear (spring), and Fort Rich Moose. (Archery) Went all in (six picks) on all tags, except 3 for the moose. See what happens. I've been in a tag drawing slump.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Late Sheep Hunts - 11/26/17
Originally Posted by Calvin
Put in for the tag drawing, and it didn't include sheep. Etolin Elk (Archery), Ketchikan Goat, Terror Bay Brown Bear (spring), and Fort Rich Moose. (Archery) Went all in (six picks) on all tags, except 3 for the moose. See what happens. I've been in a tag drawing slump.

With all the changes last year it is a total guess as to which way to go...
Posted By: las Re: Late Sheep Hunts - 11/29/17
I've thrown $90 in the pot... might throw some more away once the wife's geezer license shows up...
© 24hourcampfire