Home
Posted By: colorado bob grizzly hunt - 12/15/17
I just signed up with Jake Jefferson for a 2020 grizzly hunt. His 2018 &2019 hunts are booked full. Jake's the real deal when it comes to AK guides. He does all his own guiding, he's a 1 man show. You can check out his website---www.alaska-bearhunting. com I hunted with him this past June and killed a nice 7' grizzly. If some one would post a photo for me, I can email. I'm not real computer iterate.

We hunted off the Denali Hiway between Cantwell & Paxton. It was a baited hunt. We sit at the bait from 7PM to 7AM. We had a big boar hitting the bait. We had him on a trail camera thrashing the bait barrel but he was only there 1 night. I killed my bear on the 5th night of the hunt. I had 2 more nights I could have hunted. Jake & I talked before the hunt about what kind of bear I wanted. I said everyone wants an 8 1/2' boar but I would shoot a solid 7'er with a good hide. The sow came in----Jake glassed her----7' , really good fur and No cubs. I shot.

I used a 375 Ruger with a Leupold 2.5x 8 VariXIII. Factory Hornady 270 grain Interlock ammunition.

I really enjoyed the hunt, so I doing it again. If your interested in a grizzly hunt. Check out Jake Jefferson. He has a few spots open for 2020 and he's booking them for 2017 prices till the 1st of the year. Jake also does sheep, mtn goat and Kodiak deer hunts. But his real passion is bears.

Bob
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: grizzly hunt - 12/15/17
It appears as though Bob didn't get eaten. Good job, brother.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: broomd Re: grizzly hunt - 12/16/17
Congrats, Bob.
Jake is indeed a good man, and he's a fount of information about much of Alaskan hunting.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: grizzly hunt - 12/16/17
That 2nd photo makes me look fat. I had everything on that I took up---2 wool shirts, 2 sweatshirts, a hooded jacket & my rain jacket to cut the wind. It's cold just sitting in a blind.
Posted By: ironbender Re: grizzly hunt - 12/16/17
Originally Posted by colorado bob
That 2nd photo makes me look fat. I had everything on that I took up---2 wool shirts, 2 sweatshirts, a hooded jacket & my rain jacket to cut the wind. It's cold just sitting in a blind.

And it probably wasn’t enough!

Congrats.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: grizzly hunt - 12/16/17
That's a real beautiful looking bear, congratulations.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: grizzly hunt - 12/16/17
nice
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: grizzly hunt - 12/16/17

We know that without all of those cloths on, if you turned sideways, you'd be invisible.

Were you in a ground blind?
Posted By: colorado bob Re: grizzly hunt - 12/16/17
Brian---We sat in ground blind about 100 yards from the bate. It was across a pretty wide stream & the wind just whipped thru there. Bob

Thanks for posting the photos.

you AK guys--Is this what's called a toklat grizzly?
Posted By: GuyM Re: grizzly hunt - 12/30/17
Brian---We sat in ground blind about 100 yards from the bate. It was across a pretty wide stream & the wind just whipped thru there. Bob

Bob, somebody mentioned "toklat" on my grizzly hunt thread and that added at least two pages of debate about what the word means! smile

Congrats on a great looking bear!

Guy
Posted By: ingwe Re: grizzly hunt - 12/30/17
Bob, I'm glad you're going back, and now I'm doubly jealous!
Posted By: markopolo50 Re: grizzly hunt - 12/31/17
Bob, congrats on the nice grizzly. I helped Jake hang that barrel in April as I was there also grizzly bear hunting. I was too early as the bears were still mostly denned. We only saw one sow with cubs come out of a den. Beautiful country with all the snow as we were on Jake's snowmachines. I did get a nice wolf but am still dreaming about a big grizz. You are right about Jake, it was my second hunt with Jake as I went Dall sheep hunting with him a few years ago. I did get a sheep. BTW, he just had that hernia taken care of and it doing fine. Glad you are going back.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: grizzly hunt - 12/31/17

Toklats are quite a bit lighter colored with the black legs. Beautiful bear, but not a typical Toklat due to the dark underfur.
Posted By: dale06 Re: grizzly hunt - 01/02/18

No offense, but most of us were looking at the bear, not you😀
Posted By: EdM Re: grizzly hunt - 01/05/18
Bob,

That bear has the exact color of my BC grizzly. Just a beautiful animal.
Posted By: 79S Re: grizzly hunt - 01/06/18
Unit 13 bears are something else when it comes to color phase. Congrats on the beautiful bear.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: grizzly hunt - 03/16/21
I'm headed out with Jake in June----Hoping to get another pretty grizzly. Bob
Posted By: ironbender Re: grizzly hunt - 03/16/21
Luck!
Posted By: MGunns Re: grizzly hunt - 03/16/21
Congrats!
Posted By: RimfireArtist Re: grizzly hunt - 03/16/21
Anyone know if there are black bears in the McLaren River area, or just griz?
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: grizzly hunt - 03/16/21
Some blacks, but mostly brown. Grizzlies by B&C definition are on the North side of the Alaska Range from there.
© 24hourcampfire