Home
Posted By: kenster99 Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/09/18
Watching last alaskans last night, showing Ray Lewis packing a 1895 Win. Anybody know what caliber it is?
Love watching people using the older stuff!
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/09/18
I believe I saw some where that it is a .35 Winchester.
Posted By: 79S Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/09/18
It’s a 35 Winchester..
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/09/18
Thanks guys. And a cool caliber! Was hoping it was that or a 405.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/09/18
Ray Lewis lives a great life ,my only question what happens if hurt or when your older ? myself I worked outdoors all my life in Minnesota as a power lineman most of those years was climbing every pole ,we did not have bucket trucks my first 25 years,everything was done by hand or just bull work. I kinda think these Last Alaskan people work hard too, now at 64 years of age my body is beat up ,wonder if these Alaskan`s end up the same way too ? I do enjoy every episode sometimes wonder why I never moved up to Alaska ?
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/09/18
Now they are getting good pay for it now I imagine! My first job was unloading box cars of raw bark out in the hot sun, but there was no filming crew their!!! Probably would not be too entertaining of a film, just cussing, grunting, sweating,etc.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/10/18
It's .35 WCF.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/10/18
Yes, nice!
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/10/18
Ray has a Winchester Model 1895 that was 30-40 Krag that was rebarrelled by JES to 35 WCF. I talk to him all of the time. He is working constantly on construction around Fairbanks but during the Winter is out in the country quite a bit. He rolls his own ammo and has said that he hasn't lost a moose shot with that rifle.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/10/18
Great info.. Keep it up..
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Ray has a Winchester Model 1895 that was 30-40 Krag that was rebarrelled by JES to 35 WCF. I talk to him all of the time. He is working constantly on construction around Fairbanks but during the Winter is out in the country quite a bit. He rolls his own ammo and has said that he hasn't lost a moose shot with that rifle.

Did you know Bob Harte too? If so what were his firearm preferences?
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/10/18
I presently teach with Traver who is his Stepson. Bob liked 30/06 rifles. He had several. He also had several winchester 94 30-30s. I am kind of connected to that community of bush trappers. We have Ashley and Tyler Selden sell furs out of our shop. We also sell Mark Knapp knives. Its a pretty small community and I respect most of them with the exception of Eric Salitan from LBZ. Don't like him much. I talk with Marty from MM fairly often as well. Marty is a freaking beast in real life and qualifies as a smoke jumper on the high side of fifty.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/10/18
Seems every person on Last Alaskans is genuine and likable. The other couple of shows are more just entertainment...
I presently teach with Traver who is his Stepson. Bob liked 30/06 rifles. He had several. He also had several winchester 94 30-30s. I am kind of connected to that community of bush trappers. We have Ashley and Tyler Selden sell furs out of our shop. We also sell Mark Knapp knives. Its a pretty small community and I respect most of them with the exception of Eric Salitan from LBZ. Don't like him much. I talk with Marty from MM fairly often as well. Marty is a freaking beast in real life and qualifies as a smoke jumper on the high side of fifty.

I like Salitan's wife more than I like him. wink
Posted By: rost495 Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/10/18
Just can't warm up to Glenn Villanueve for some reason but I digress.

Cool info on the rifle. I"d thought i heard 35, but was sure hoping 405 for some reason. JES did a rebore to 338/06 on our bolt gun that stays in AK year round. Not that great with Barnes bullets that I prefer but more than good enough.
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/11/18
In one of the eisodes he said its the 35.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/11/18
Originally Posted by Mike74

I would much rather spend a winter with her, than with Chip Hailstone's wife.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/11/18
In my collection of old ammo, I have a 35 WCF. It's not really as large of a round as I would have thought. But, I love those old Winchester cartridges, and if were a wealthy man, I'd collect a rifle in every one of those chamberings.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/11/18
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Until you do it with both, you'll never know if what you assume, is correct.....
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/11/18
Originally Posted by rost495

Until you do it with both, you'll never know if what you assume, is correct.....

Jeff! Lmao. Well there you have it
Posted By: moosemike Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/11/18

Excellent point!
Posted By: rost495 Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/11/18
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

Jeff! Lmao. Well there you have it

Honesty is the best policy. LOL. Was sitting in the deer blind here at the house a week ago with Spencer from Wasilla, and it was 28. It was 42 in Wasilla. LOL. Poor guy, he has done that more than once somehow too. And brought Kim and the kids at least once when it was colder... I keep telling Kim she needs to visit in August for 2 weeks. LOL
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/12/18

Heimo Korth is my favorite on the show. No two ways about it, he is the real McCoy.

Ray is not much for chit chat, and I think that hurts him on the show. I understand he will no longer be on the show.

As most of you know already Bob Harte passed this last year. It was pretty obvious he was struggling physically. He had quite a life and I liked listening to him.

Sheldon was a great addition to the show, and It's cool that his wife is doing this with him. Not too many women would live that way these days.

I like the young man they brought on the show, that flies his own plane and built his own cabin. Forget his name, but he sure has learned well.

I really like MM but he is on Mountainman.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/12/18
IDK if you start talking about old trapline guns and moose hunting. Ray is a pretty good conversationalist. Cindy really likes to talk about her girls. Charlie Jakow is the younger fella that you are thinking about. In real life Charlie has a German girlfriend that is keeping him pretty leveled. She won't pop on this season because his young single status drives a section of the viewership.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/12/18
We like Charlie too. Cool to know he has a gal too! Could get lonesome out that way.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/14/18
Marlin, heimo Korth is a helluva good guy. No surprise you picked up on that

Hope they’re paying him well.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/14/18
Don't follow the show religiously, but do enjoy it. Found it a bit painful to watch Bob Harte wither. Must say, however, that he did it his way. Very admirable.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/15/18
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Marlin, heimo Korth is a helluva good guy. No surprise you picked up on that

Hope they’re paying him well.

I appreciate it Randy. I hope they are paying them all well. That is a hard life, and all the things they share freely to who ever will listen, should be rewarded.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Ray Lewis's rifle - 01/15/18
No retirement pension out there .......hope they can enjoy a few years of peace and solitude.
© 24hourcampfire