Home
Posted By: atvalaska Alaska Sam's club closing? - 01/11/18
Thats what they are saying on the radio this morning...humm sounds like bs.........sears up here would have go before them imo ...they don't have craftsman tools .....they have only craftsman TOOL ....cause the shelves are about cleaned out.
Hard to imagine that. They seem a pretty good counterpoint to Costco and look busy?
All 3 are closing. It's been on the news this morning. 260 closing nationwide.
Bummer,, I can hardly stand the unwashed herds at Costo,,
If they close Costcos crowding gets much worse! It is the highest grossing sales store in Costco's system already (Dimond Blvd store) and adding that much traffic will bring it from crazy to insane.
Posted By: 79S Re: Alaska Sam's club closing? - 01/11/18
3 Bears for me šŸ˜
The announcement came the same day that Samā€™s Clubā€™s parent company Walmart announced it would raise minimum wage for employees and hand out tax cut bonuses because of the new Republican tax law.

http://q13fox.com/2018/01/11/sams-club-is-suddenly-closing-some-stores-including-3-in-washington/
Just went by ...store closed today sign on door ...no employees parked in the usual spot ..a few on the side ..store mgr in entry way and her truck is parked xways in the drive thru pick up lane......sign also sayz they are to open Friday at 10am ...word is 25% off store wide. Damm that a big shopping hole in these parts !
Originally Posted by waterrat

Dammmm here I thought Walmart suckedazz...if Walmart charged a membership /maybe it would clean the place of the wic check .gov human debris crowd...

Closed for the day today.

Closed for good on the 26th.
https://www.adn.com/business-econom...zens-nationwide-to-be-closed-by-walmart/
Posted By: WDH Re: Alaska Sam's club closing? - 01/11/18
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
If they close Costcos crowding gets much worse! It is the highest grossing sales store in Costco's system already (Dimond Blvd store) and adding that much traffic will bring it from crazy to insane.

Actually the costco in South korea is the highest grossing by store. US only the dimond costco is ranked 9th.
Damn. Just bought a bunch of AGM marine batteries there specifically for the warranty. So much for that.
Takeā€™em back. šŸ˜‰

Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Damn. Just bought a bunch of AGM marine batteries there specifically for the warranty. So much for that.

Originally Posted by ironbender

Am seriously considering.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Takeā€™em back. šŸ˜‰

Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Return and re-purchase on the 20th when they are marked down.
When we were christmas shopping, I noticed a shortage of tools at Sears. The cashier said that they had been busy, I smelled BS.
I have since learned that all three Sears within 50 miles are closing. The only one left is the local owned little store, basically an appliance
store.

I think Sears is about done, darn shame. The CEO should have his balls cut off.
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Just went by ...store closed today sign on door ...no employees parked in the usual spot ..a few on the side ..store mgr in entry way and her truck is parked xways in the drive thru pick up lane......sign also sayz they are to open Friday at 10am ...word is 25% off store wide. Damm that a big shopping hole in these parts !

Yeah, that sucks. Fairbanks needs a place like Sam's just for the highway and bush folks up that way. It does sound like 3 Bear's may be opening a place up up there though. I know there's one in Healy already which makes it convenient for me when I retire. And they sell ammo and reloading components. laugh

Dammmm here I thought Walmart suckedazz...if Walmart charged a membership /maybe it would clean the place of the wic check .gov human debris crowd...

I like how you think.

Just being in there with all those morons makes me angry. You can't even grab a Polish dog and eat in relative peace.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Alaska Sam's club closing? - 01/12/18
What next? Seems like you folks are trying to keep us folks out by adding tax, raising prices etc.. LOL.

Its a damn shame though really. We had planned to run into fairbanks ever so often and buy a month or more worht of food etc.. at a time. Can't really afford it in Delta I dont' think.

Oh well, just have to work harder/longer while there.
Originally Posted by rost495

Its a damn shame though really. We had planned to run into fairbanks ever so often and buy a month or more worht of food etc.. at a time. Can't really afford it in Delta I dont' think.

To-be-honest,-I-nearly-didn't-renew-the-membership-I've-had-for-years-when-Sam's-was-a-really-good-annual-shopping-place-for-rural-folks.These-days,-with-the-Fred-Meyer-stores-we-have-in-Fairbanks,-there-isn't-much-we-buy-at-Sam's-which-we-can't-get-for-better-prices-at-Fred's.....and-much-better-selection-and-friendly,-helpful-employees.-And-the-few-bulk-things-we'll-miss-we-can-probably-get-from-Amazon.-(Paper-products-are-probably-the-biggest-ones.)
Posted By: Ray Re: Alaska Sam's club closing? - 01/12/18
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

To-be-honest,-I-nearly-didn't-renew-the-membership-I've-had-for-years-when-Sam's-was-a-really-good-annual-shopping-place-for-rural-folks.These-days,-with-the-Fred-Meyer-stores-we-have-in-Fairbanks,-there-isn't-much-we-buy-at-Sam's-which-we-can't-get-for-better-prices-at-Fred's.....and-much-better-selection-and-friendly,-helpful-employees.-And-the-few-bulk-things-we'll-miss-we-can-probably-get-from-Amazon.-(Paper-products-are-probably-the-biggest-ones.)

Sam's Club opens the doors early, and ahead of the general public, to chefs and restaurant owners around Fairbanks. These people buy produce, oil, and all kinds of foods by the ftat- cart load. The closing of Sam's Club will affect every restaurant and other food-related business in Fairbanks and vicinity, as well as in the bush. It will also affect people living all over the interior who drive to Fairbanks a time or two a month to buy food in bulk.
Interesting on Fred Meyers prices, have not been in one in a few years, so was not aware pricing was similar to sams.

Sucks that it affects big pallet prices and such though.

Wonder if 3 bears will be competitive or just move in and make more profit if they do? Found out 3 bears is "right" down the road in TOK which is a bit closer than Fbanks will be.

Time will tell.
Originally Posted by Ray

Sam's Club opens the doors early, and ahead of the general public, to chefs and restaurant owners around Fairbanks. These people buy produce, oil, and all kinds of foods by the ftat- cart load. The closing of Sam's Club will affect every restaurant and other food-related business in Fairbanks and vicinity, as well as in the bush. It will also affect people living all over the interior who drive to Fairbanks a time or two a month to buy food in bulk.

Yep;-small-businesses-seem-to-be-very-concerned-and-will-no-doubt-be-very-affected.-But-I-would-imagine-this-creates-a-void...an-opportunity-which-will-not-go-unfilled-somehow.-Was-just-there-on-Tuesday-and-the-parking-lot-was-as-busy-as-it-always-is.There-are-already-social-media-campaigns-started-to-enlist-Costco-or-someone-else-to-come-in.

But-I-would-imagine-that-Freddy's-will-be-a-decent-alternative-for-'rural/locals'-who-come-to-town-periodically-to-shop.Granted,-some-of-the-really-good-deals-regular-shoppers-find-might-not-be-available-but-we-buy-quite-a-variety-of-items-regulary-which-are-cheaper-at-Freds-than-at-Sam's.Perhaps-that-has-hurt-Sam's-business-locally.

Interesting on Fred Meyers prices, have not been in one in a few years, so was not aware pricing was similar to sams.

I-have-heard-that-the-Fred's/west-store-(there's-two)-does-more-business-$$$-wise-than-any-other-FM-store-in-the-nation,but-that-may-not-be-accurate.Home-Depot-(and-others)have-better-prices-on-oils-than-the-case-prices-at-Sam's.-They-are-also-a-good-place-to-buy-various-utility-batteries-in-bulk-quantities......and-the-least-expensive-cardboard-shipping-boxes-in-town.

If-you-buy-rice-or-brown-sugar-in-25-or-50-pounds-bags-or-peaches-in-#10-cans,-that's-going-to-be-a-problem.
Fred Meyer is also the best gun shop in Anchorage for new gun prices. I have bought quite a few guns from them simply because their prices were far lower than anyone else. Also, first Tuesday of every month is geezer appreciation day and everything, including guns, are an extra 10% off for over 55..
Fred Meyer is also the best gun shop in Anchorage for new gun prices. I have bought quite a few guns from them simply because their prices were far lower than anyone else. Also, first Tuesday of every month is geezer appreciation day and everything, including guns, are an extra 10% off for over 55..

I've bought several guns at Freddys on Dimond. My wife asked me to pick up some milk on my way home from work one day. I came home late with milk and a new XD! Hey it was 30% off their sale price, what's a guy to do? Now my wife and kids tell me not to get distracted when I go in there. laugh
At Freddy,s the discounts stack, and additional like friends and family 15% plus sales discounts . Most stores will not allow you to stack discounts.
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

I've bought several guns at Freddys on Dimond. My wife asked me to pick up some milk on my way home from work one day. I came home late with milk and a new XD! Hey it was 30% off their sale price, what's a guy to do? Now my wife and kids tell me not to get distracted when I go in there. laugh

Had you been a geezer on the right day the price on your XD would have shocked you!

Mine was unreal...

And I even got a free turkey!
thats a great distraction !!!well done
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

Had you been a geezer on the right day the price on your XD would have shocked you!

Mine was unreal...

And I even got a free turkey!

Well I'm not rushing into that discount! Haha!
Posted By: akjeff Re: Alaska Sam's club closing? - 01/13/18
Originally Posted by kk alaska
At Freddy,s the discounts stack, and additional like friends and family 15% plus sales discounts . Most stores will not allow you to stack discounts.

And don't forget the fuel points. Getting $1/gallon off is always nice.

Jeff
I'm betting when analyzed in terms of revenue dollars per 100,000 residents, the Dimond Costco blows away every other STORE on the planet, not just every other Costco store.
Posted By: WDH Re: Alaska Sam's club closing? - 01/13/18
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
I'm betting when analyzed in terms of revenue dollars per 100,000 residents, the Dimond Costco blows away every other STORE on the planet, not just every other Costco store.

Um not even close....
Originally Posted by WDH

Um not even close....

Oh, I'm pretty sure it's close. The Oahu Costco is serving a million people, the Dimond Costco around 300,000. The S. Korea Costco tops them all, but it is serving millions of people, and producing less than double the Dimond Costco's sales.

Per capita, nothing can touch us.
Weā€™re #1!

Weā€™re #1!

Weā€™re #1!
Man I hate to see Sams closing anyplace, especially considering the jobs that will be lost. Down here Sams outnumber Costco and my closest Costco is 25 miles away. Sams are both about 10 miles. I much prefer Costco and I think Sams is just a glorified wal mart. I have been to the Costco on Dimond and it is a great store. What impressed me was the coffee production they had going there. Of my trips to Anchorage I don't think I ever went to your Sams. My only complaint in the past few years of Costco is they eliminated the ice cream bar at the snack bar. If you guys ever had one, you know what I am talking about!!!

I expect Costco to expand into the Fbx Sam's club site.

They better. People may die if they don't*; they may even leave the state! (And perhaps it'll look a bit more like Alaska around here again.)

*So say the social-soothists I've been reading.

BTW, can you imagine the alarm which would be expressed (but go unread) if someone managed to flash NA's electronic devices and consequently our traffic control and power grid?
Well, golllllly.

look who bought a space bar! Discounted at Sam's?
smile
I took a chance at the local transfer-site recycling site...........managed to beat the guy who parks there every day surveying the goods while they're still warm. It has PC keys - and only one missing- and only a slight cigarette burn, but it's better than the one that wasn't much good....a lot better than the one that wasn't much good after I made it no good at all. (Don't mess with glued-together bluetooth devices and expect them to get better! cry)

And never underestimate how cheap a cheap bastard will go at times......... laugh

Just had a serious discussion with someone that knows exactly how the numbers add up and was showed how to understand the current numbers versus the ones I was understanding...

Adding the second store really changed the dynamics, but it really did nothing but move than more difficult aspects of doing business off-campus.

Yup, there are bigger stores than there used to be.

Show me another store where another store was opened to make the new store work...
Posted By: WDH Re: Alaska Sam's club closing? - 01/14/18

Just had a serious discussion with someone that knows exactly how the numbers add up and was showed how to understand the current numbers versus the ones I was understanding...

Adding the second store really changed the dynamics, but it really did nothing but move than more difficult aspects of doing business off-campus.

Yup, there are bigger stores than there used to be.

Show me another store where another store was opened to make the new store work...

This made my day. Nice try haha.
https://diginomica.com/2016/01/18/walmart-closes-269-stores-as-it-continues-to-chase-amazon/
Posted By: las Re: Alaska Sam's club closing? - 01/16/18
Costco bastids don't carry Almond Snickers anymore either!

Probably because too many people post those "People of Walmart" on social media. I'm glad we never do that here! laugh

Probably because too many people post those "People of Walmart" on social media. I'm glad we never do that here! laugh

TFF

Interesting, but two years old...

I would never have believed a simple visit to Wal-Mart would make me blush... but it has happened several times now...
Made a deal with myself that i'd never live somewhere with a Walmart. When they opened on the Kenai i left for greener pastures shortly there after
But to be fair I do shop Amazon a lot which is kinda the same as Wally World. Except I can shop in my underwear and not wind up on "People of Walmart website!!šŸ˜€

Nailed it.
https://www.adn.com/business-econom...anks-store-at-former-sams-club-location/
Posted By: 79S Re: Alaska Sam's club closing? - 01/23/18

Nailed it.

Now for those powerball numbers you promised.. the two times I wandered into that Samā€™s club in Fairbanks that dude that dressed up like a women was there. I was like wtf! My buddy laughed and said oh thatā€™s insert name they work here, so I wonder if Costco will hire the face of the Samā€™s club lol.. Fairbanks the oddest City in Alaska if you ask me.
Some of the employees in the Anchorage Costco are rather, flamboyant.
Well, golly sakes. I was so sure I had PM'd the lotto numbers to you.
Originally Posted by 79S

Nailed it.

Now for those powerball numbers you promised.. the two times I wandered into that Samā€™s club in Fairbanks that dude that dressed up like a women was there. I was like wtf! My buddy laughed and said oh thatā€™s insert name they work here, so I wonder if Costco will hire the face of the Samā€™s club lol.. Fairbanks the oddest City in Alaska if you ask me.

Maybe you have missed a few Alaska cities?
Posted By: 79S Re: Alaska Sam's club closing? - 01/24/18
Originally Posted by 79S

Nailed it.

Been to all the ones on the road system anyhow.. and Fairbanks always has me scratching my head..
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Nailed it.

Been to all the ones on the road system anyhow.. and Fairbanks always has me scratching my head..

Had an emergency landing there many years ago. Flight attendant gave the usual landing announcements and added "... welcome to Fairbanks, please set your watches back 20 years..."
Sorry to see the loss of employment but not sorry to watch another Walton business close.
E
Posted By: 458Win Re: Alaska Sam's club closing? - 01/24/18
Have always wished Costco would make it to Fbks and it looks like they have finally made the decision . Makes me happy
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Nailed it.

While Fairbanks does have it's share of KevinMcCandless and TimothyTreadwell-wannabees, you have to remember that Fairbanks is quite a bit closer to Alaska than some. And unlike Anchorage in its present form - which some Fairbanksians seem to want to emulate, Fairbanks is about 1000 miles farther from Seattle than Anchorage is... in spite of what the road signs suggest.
Chris McCandless aka Alexander Supertramp. wink
Timothy Treadwell
Upon whom the bears of Katmai fed well.

Was not from the interior.
Posted By: pak Re: Alaska Sam's club closing? - 01/24/18
Originally Posted by 458Win
Timothy Treadwell

. I think TT, for a bear, would be like Taco Bell for us. Easy,warm and requiring little effort, but hardly being fed well. Indigestion probably soon followed.:)
Indigestion caused by numerous shots fired by nervous NPS employees
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Nailed it.

I live here and it has me scratching my head too. Twice, WTF is up with people and secondly WTF am I still here for?
Haven't been to Fairbanks in a few years, not sure if it's changed much. I've always had the feeling that it was a true Alaskan city, in the best possible way. I don't know if Anchorage deserves the furthest North suburb of Seattle tag, but it's never had the feel of a true Alaskan city. It's really going down hill the past few years with crime going off the charts and gaining an "international" feel in the worst possible way.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Alaska Sam's club closing? - 01/25/18
I haven't been to FBKs in some years either, but the last time it did still have a bit of a rural feeling to it. For a city. It did on our honeymoon too.

Anchorage, well its just a big city, but OTOH I can't drive 2 hours out of Austin or Houston and be where I could from ANC.. LOL
Don't need to drive more than a few minutes out of Anchorage and head off the road to know you're not in Kansas anymore.

[Linked Image]
Chris McCandless aka Alexander Supertramp. wink

Shi i it! mad Here I am trying to drop names and you have to go spoil it for me. laugh

Yeah, there are a few oddities up this way. I can deal with odd, however, a lot better than I can the proliferation of "Stolen" signs and notices.
Thats what they are saying on the radio this morning...humm sounds like bs.........sears up here would have go before them imo ...they don't have craftsman tools .....they have only craftsman TOOL ....cause the shelves are about cleaned out.

Pretty sure Sears is closing.
Originally Posted by pak
Originally Posted by 458Win
Timothy Treadwell

. I think TT, for a bear, would be like Taco Bell for us. Easy,warm and requiring little effort, but hardly being fed well. Indigestion probably soon followed.:)

But he brought dessert...
Say what u will about Fairbanks...one things for sure... Jack London , Robert Service and Johnny Horton.. we're NOT talking about Anchorage or the valley....
Posted By: akpls Re: Alaska Sam's club closing? - 01/25/18
Originally Posted by Clydesdale

Not in Fairbanks.......yet.

Lived in Fbx for 18 years and now on the KP. It's funny to talk to Alaskans that either have never been there (really?) or so seldomly that it's about the same. I'm almost always asked which do you like better?

It's not a better/worse for me. Rather a case of *different*. I love both places, but one is Ginger and the other is Maryann. Can't say which is which, and that might not be the best analogy, but there it is.

Fbx has surely changed over the years as has most of AK. When i first arrived, Geist Rd had just been paved. Looky at that road system now.

Girl kid moved back there recently. Looking forward to getting up there again.
Originally Posted by akpls

The one in LA is what I was talking about.

No one gives half a [bleep] about Fairbanks.
Posted By: akpls Re: Alaska Sam's club closing? - 01/26/18

Ah yes, I guess I should have seen that since it's so prominently mentioned in the post you replied to.
FAIRBANKS, Alaska (KTUU) - Almost two dozen vehicles crashed into one another, blocking the westbound lanes of the Johansen Expressway early Tuesday afternoon.

According to Alaska State Troopers in Fairbanks, approximately 23 vehicles created a jumbled mess, with one vehicle hitting the next in a sliding chain reaction.

Troopers say only minor injuries were reported from the incident.

The wall of impacted vehicles took hours to move, and troopers say the expressway's westbound lanes were shut down during that time.

Located near the bridge over Noyes Slough at the west end of the expressway, vehicles slow down to approach the intersection with University Avenue. That's where the pileup began, stretching back multiple car lengths.

A city transit bus company allowed passengers to sit inside the bus to keep warm while troopers investigated the incident. Some passengers were pinned inside their vehicles. AST said the outside temperature at the time was -15ĀŗF.

What caused the first crash in the chain of resulting crashes is still being investigated.

Department of Transportation spokeswoman, Meadow Bailey, said a road crew had laid down sand and gravel shortly before the crash occurred.

UAF PD, UAF FD and Fairbanks PD assisted with traffic control, troopers said.

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Over-20-vehicles-crash-in-icy-Fairbanks-pileup-470923373.html

Ah yes, I guess I should have seen that since it's so prominently mentioned in the post you replied to.

No one gives a [bleep] about Fairbanks.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Alaska Sam's club closing? - 01/26/18
Geez looks like there is an azzhole in the woodpile.
© 24hourcampfire