Home
Posted By: AkMtnHntr 2 years in the making - 03/15/18
Builder started on our cabin on Tuesday, should be done by next Friday the 23rd. I'll post more pics as I get them. First pic I took last winter and the other 2 I just got yesterday.

Attached picture IMG_0230.JPG
Attached picture 123_1.jpg
Attached picture 123_2.jpg
Posted By: rost495 Re: 2 years in the making - 03/15/18
Very nice, would love to see that in person some day! Looks like a nice area!
Posted By: colorado bob Re: 2 years in the making - 03/15/18
Where in AK?
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 2 years in the making - 03/15/18
You know you're more than welcome anytime Jeff. This area is spectacular in the winter and much easer to get too as well but only 10 minutes by wheeler.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 2 years in the making - 03/15/18
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Where in AK?
Petersville.
Posted By: ironbender Re: 2 years in the making - 03/16/18
Looks 24x32?

Gonna be nice John!
Posted By: las Re: 2 years in the making - 03/16/18
Cool. Enjoy!

That’s an order. smile
Posted By: atvalaska Re: 2 years in the making - 03/16/18
What compass angle is the pic looking toward?
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 2 years in the making - 03/16/18
The cabin is going to be facing the Talkeetna mountains so I'd guess east-northeast, the views from there are really incredible on a clear winter day. So it's getting big windows on the front side so we can enjoy that view. As for size, its sort of a mixed bag, the lower part will be 20x24 with a 6x10 mud room added to the back and the upstairs will be 20x30 with a loft that's going to be around 21 ft. It's going to be an A-frame style cabin with 4 foot eaves over the sides that cover a walkway that will go around the sides and a 10ft deck in the front. I could have built this myself but I just don't have the time with work and all.
Posted By: roundoak Re: 2 years in the making - 03/16/18
Looking forward to the pics of finished cabin.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: 2 years in the making - 03/16/18
Congrats, we have two cabins now, and not nearly enough time at either one of them.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: 2 years in the making - 03/16/18
off to a good start! Any treatment on the floor joists needed?
Posted By: rong Re: 2 years in the making - 03/17/18
Looks like that could be a beauty.Please update when you can.
Posted By: KC Re: 2 years in the making - 03/17/18

AKMtnHntr:

I see a floor beam. Is that sitting on concrete pylons? When did you pour them? Tell me about the foundation. How do you deal with permafrost?

KC
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 2 years in the making - 03/19/18
The beams are sitting on railroad ties we put in 2 summers ago and are buried 4 feet into the ground. As far as permafrost, we do not have any of that on our lot, or at least where we did the digging. The floor joists are not treated and don't need to be since they are under the cabin, we didn't use treated floor joists under our shop either. Went out on Saturday to drop off a couple doors and took some pics of the progress so far, they are making good progress.

Attached picture IMG_0575.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0573.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0570.JPG
Posted By: KC Re: 2 years in the making - 03/19/18

Looks like you're making good progress.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 2 years in the making - 03/19/18
I remember the RR ties, and even pictures I think.

Looking good!
Posted By: ironbender Re: 2 years in the making - 03/19/18
Geez. Looks like it’s still winter!
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 2 years in the making - 03/19/18
Originally Posted by ironbender

It is and will be for quite a while longer, they're supposed to get more snow today and tonight. Doesn't stop those guys though, they were building a cabin for the previous 3 weeks off Lake Louise and it barely made it to single digits the whole time. They are loving this particular build just for the weather. lol
Posted By: WDH Re: 2 years in the making - 03/19/18
Way cool! !!
Looking good!!! What part of the world is this roughly?
Posted By: kid0917 Re: 2 years in the making - 03/20/18
Petersville
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 2 years in the making - 03/20/18
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Looking good!!! What part of the world is this roughly?
Petersville, not too far from where you and I went riding a few years back, in the Kenny Creek subdivision.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 2 years in the making - 03/22/18
Getting closer.

Attached picture Pic.jpg
Attached picture pic1.jpg
Attached picture pic2.jpg
Attached picture pic3.jpg
Posted By: cwh2 Re: 2 years in the making - 03/22/18
Looking good man!
Posted By: tzone Re: 2 years in the making - 03/23/18
Awesome!
Posted By: pete53 Re: 2 years in the making - 03/23/18
my 2 cents: what a great cabin your building,i would make one change with the roof go 8 foot over hangs with pillar posts at 6 feet out from cabin if you can and I am sure you must be putting steel on roof. have a great time over the years. Pete53
Posted By: WDH Re: 2 years in the making - 03/23/18
Mostly relaxing cabin or hunting cabin? Ive seen some impressive moose from the petersville area last couple years.
Posted By: ironbender Re: 2 years in the making - 03/24/18

Any machining in that area?
lol
Posted By: 358wsm Re: 2 years in the making - 03/24/18

Nice job on the stairs, a little math been done there.

What's the verticle siding material.?

Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: 2 years in the making - 03/24/18
Looks nice! I saw that Kenny Creek Lodge closed last year. Anybody gonna reopen it? It was nice to swing in for some burgers and a cold one after a day of riding. Petersville is definitely moosey country. A buddy and his family from ER all have big moose buggys and run way out there with them. He's always got freezers full of moose meat.
Posted By: ironbender Re: 2 years in the making - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by 358wsm

T-1-11 plywood looks like.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: 2 years in the making - 03/24/18

Looks great. Like the plan you have going. Going to be a good get a way. Congratulations. Remembering you talking about installing the posts.
Posted By: 358wsm Re: 2 years in the making - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by 358wsm

T-1-11 plywood looks like.

Was thinking the same, or even Smart Side. Smart Side really wears well but I don't know if it's available there.
Posted By: ironbender Re: 2 years in the making - 03/25/18
Had to Google smart side. could be that.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: 2 years in the making - 03/25/18
OSB sub floor ? ....i did that at my cabin....if that's the finished floor ,clean it good ,sink the screws lightly sand it , dump 5 gallons of gloss varathane roll it out and shut the door....the next week end do the same ...makes for a badazz looking roller rink/ bar top looking floor wink .......u can buy me a beer latter !
Oh yea...add 2 fresh 80's one low by the stove and one clear across the room and high......
Had to Google smart side. could be that.

Same type stuff...lawsuit free siding !
Posted By: ironbender Re: 2 years in the making - 03/25/18
I saw the similarities.

What’s the lawsuit reference?
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: 2 years in the making - 03/26/18
I saw the similarities.

What’s the lawsuit reference?

Maybe the delaminating lawsuits after the California builders used all that crap T1-11 when they built most of the post-pipeline housing?

Friggin' plywood covered houses that cost $250K +. Whoda thunk it?

Ed
Posted By: northcountry Re: 2 years in the making - 03/26/18
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

It is and will be for quite a while longer, they're supposed to get more snow today and tonight. Doesn't stop those guys though, they were building a cabin for the previous 3 weeks off Lake Louise and it barely made it to single digits the whole time. They are loving this particular build just for the weather. lol

Is that Lake Louise AK or AB. Cheers NC
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 2 years in the making - 03/26/18
I'll try and hit all the questions first. The siding is primed T1-111 so there is no hurry to get it painted until it warms up. The roof overhang is at 4 feet which will let the snow slide off past the walkway that goes around the cabin so I don't have to shovel it every time it snows. This is going to be our getaway cabin, I might stage out of there for moose hunting but I usually moose hunt about 5 hours northeast of where I live in Eagle River. We just don't see many moose in this area as it is close too Petersville rd (about 1 mile).

Kenny Creek Lodge did close down last year, the last 3-4 winters snow levels have not been good and business was slow most of the time, I was actually surprised that he even opened last winter. The groomer use to groom a trail right by there but has changed the route since KCL is no longer open. Luckily they reopened the Forks Roadhouse so we have a place to hang out and grab some food and drinks while out riding. As for riding, there is tons of good riding out there which is why we chose to build a cabin there, makes it easier than having to load up at the end of the day and drive all the way back to ER.

We are having the builder build the shell and install the wood stove, then I will finish the interior electrical, insulation, flooring, cabinetry, etc, etc, so I know what I'll be doing this summer. Cabin should be done by this weekend.

Attached picture IMG_0598 - Copy.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0599 - Copy.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0600 - Copy.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0601 - Copy.JPG
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 2 years in the making - 03/26/18
Originally Posted by northcountry
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

Is that Lake Louise AK or AB. Cheers NC
Lake Louise Alaska.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 2 years in the making - 03/29/18
Almost done, windows won't be here until next Tuesday, that's when the builder will install the windows and woodstove. Getting excited to see the finished product.

\

Attached picture 20180328_ - Copy.jpg
Attached picture 20180328_ (002) - Copy.jpg
Attached picture 20180328_ (004) - Copy.jpg
Attached picture 20180328_ (006) - Copy.jpg
Attached picture 123_12 - Copy.jpg
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: 2 years in the making - 03/29/18
GWP Guy. Wow, really really nice, that's all anyone needs, No???
Posted By: ironbender Re: 2 years in the making - 03/29/18
That crew moves fast! Plans for interior finish yet?
Posted By: powdr Re: 2 years in the making - 03/30/18
AK, You mention riding several times. Do yall just get on your machines or whatever and ride around? powdr
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 2 years in the making - 03/30/18
They do move fast Mike and their work is very good from what I've seen so far. As for the interior, i'll be finishing the inside so we can make it exactly how we want it, it will be a bit time consuming but well worth it in the end.

powdr, that is correct, we can pretty much ride anywhere we want in the winter, there's well over 150 miles of groomed trails plus all kinds of off trail riding if you have the right sled.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: 2 years in the making - 03/30/18
That is a very nice cabin! Great planning and execution. Enjoy.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 2 years in the making - 04/05/18
Well the cabin shell is finally finished and it turned out better than we had hoped. This cabin is a lot bigger inside than I expected and it will be fun to finish the interior.

Attached picture pic6 - Copy.JPG
Attached picture pic8 - Copy.jpg
Attached picture pic12 - Copy.jpg
Attached picture pic4 - Copy.jpg
Attached picture Pic5 - Copy.JPG
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 2 years in the making - 04/05/18
Some pics of the outhouse, shop and a picnic table he built for my wife.

Attached picture pic7 - Copy.JPG
Attached picture pic10 - Copy.JPG
Attached picture pic9 - Copy.JPG
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: 2 years in the making - 04/05/18
Wow. Awesome place.

-Jake
Posted By: ironbender Re: 2 years in the making - 04/06/18
Nice views, especially from the loft!
Posted By: rost495 Re: 2 years in the making - 04/06/18
Dang thats almost like a brick chit house
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 2 years in the making - 04/06/18
You gonna use foam spray insulation?

It seems to be about the best, and in that climate, should be optimal.

Not sure how easy it would be to get that equipment to the site.

DF
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: 2 years in the making - 04/06/18
happy for you bud, it looks great! Can see many a memory being made there.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 2 years in the making - 04/12/18
I'm using fiberglass (batt) insulation, picking it up today so we can get it out there before the snow melts.

Thanks for the compliments gents, to say we are stoked about the new cabin is a huge understatement!
Posted By: akjeff Re: 2 years in the making - 04/13/18
Looks great! Being stoked is understandable. smile

Jeff
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: 2 years in the making - 04/13/18

What a great cabin. You should be proud. It came out great so far. There are some nice touches there.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 2 years in the making - 04/13/18
Some pics from last weekend from different angles. Had a neighbor from across the swamp pay us a visit and he was shocked to see our cabin had been built so quickly. Hauling insulation out this weekend then I will start the process of getting it all wired and lights, outlets and what not installed.

Attached picture 35 - Copy.JPG
Attached picture 36 - Copy.JPG
Attached picture 37 - Copy.JPG
Attached picture 39 - Copy.JPG
Attached picture 40 - Copy.JPG
Posted By: ironbender Re: 2 years in the making - 04/13/18
I see you already have the sunny deck chairs positioned! smile good move!

Don't know what you have planned, but if it's not redundant, don't short yourself on lighting both inside and outside.

Also, hat, mask, long sleeves, gloves, with the glass. Gawd I hate that stuff.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: 2 years in the making - 04/13/18
The newer fiberglass without formaldehyde is 100X nicer than the old stuff.

I have some tamper resistant outlets available for the cost of switching out the ones the muni made me put in the shop smile
I see you already have the sunny deck chairs positioned! smile good move!

Don't know what you have planned, but if it's not redundant, don't short yourself on lighting both inside and outside.

Also, hat, mask, long sleeves, gloves, with the glass. Gawd I hate that stuff.

Yeah, that's the wife's idea, she's always 3 steps ahead of me when it comes to decorating, at least that's something I don't have to think about. Planning on using a lot of LED lighting, you will almost be able to get a sun tan by the time I'm finished. Insulation, I hate that stuff and always wear gloves, long sleeve shirt, and a mask.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: 2 years in the making - 04/13/18
Awesome job and a beautiful spot. I hope you guys have many happy years and a lifetime of wonderful memories in your cabin. It looks so cozy a fella might get a lot of reading done sitting in front of the wood stove and those windows. I look forward to your progress on the interior. 👍
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Awesome job and a beautiful spot. I hope you guys have many happy years and a lifetime of wonderful memories in your cabin. It looks so cozy a fella might get a lot of reading done sitting in front of the wood stove and those windows. I look forward to your progress on the interior. 👍
Mucho gracias, I appreciate that very much. My wife cried the day we went out and saw it after they finished, couldn't believe it was actually ours. I'm looking forward to celebrating next Thanksgiving out there, it will be awesome I'm sure.

I'll post updates whenever I can, it's going to be a very busy spring/summer.
Posted By: Mjm316 Re: 2 years in the making - 04/14/18
Congrats on the build! I’m sure you will have many great memories there! Very nice! Thanks for the updates on your build
© 24hourcampfire