Home
Posted By: 358wsm Anybody running an OruKayak.? - 03/17/18

I was wondering how the Oru Kayak's hold up under the conditions.

I'd like a little boat on the river for fishing, exploring, and crossing. Getting a solid boat back in would require too large of a plane to get back in with, and river travel back in is at least 3 days, that is if conditions will even allow.

A Packraft might be an option also, but I would trust a harder shell a little more, and patching a hole might be a little more robust on the Oru.

Any suggestions or thoughts.?
not sure about their durability around rocks, gravel, and current. But I have never used one, only going by what they look like.
I have 2 Kevlar pack boats, but would not want to count on them in your application either. Have you looked at the Old Town NEXT boats?
If you're not dealing with portaging, a 10' airfloor inflatable and a 10 horse two stroke is a fairly light easy to transport setup that will pack some weight and be stable when the wind kicks up. The downside of inflatables no matter if raft or canoe style is they aren't anywhere near as efficicient to paddle as a hard shell boat.
Originally Posted by kid0917
not sure about their durability around rocks, gravel, and current. But I have never used one, only going by what they look like.
I have 2 Kevlar pack boats, but would not want to count on them in your application either. Have you looked at the Old Town NEXT boats?

Yes, I have looked at the Old Town, she's a beauty, as expected from Old Town.., as well Bass Pro and Cabela's. Trouble is loading them into the Cub.

Thank you for your post.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
If you're not dealing with portaging, a 10' airfloor inflatable and a 10 horse two stroke is a fairly light easy to transport setup that will pack some weight and be stable when the wind kicks up. The downside of inflatables no matter if raft or canoe style is they aren't anywhere near as efficicient to paddle as a hard shell boat.

That is indeed an option...a good one.
Thank you.
Because I fly into Hudson Bay with a C-208, we can only lash one aluminum canoe to the port float strut because of the exhaust stack on the starboard side. The other canoe is a Pakboat skin boat carried internally. Kayaks are great to paddle but good luck getting a moose quarter into one. The skin boat is not as rigid as a hard shell boat but they are stiff enough. FYI external loads are not usually allowed by the FAA but are ok in Canada.

Thanks Bob.

Yeah, I realize I won't be carrying a Moose quarter in that rig, thought though I "might" be able to float it behind me though...somehow.

Anyone.
There is a company named "Point 65" and they make modular kayaks. There dlesn't seem to be much of a review of these. Anybody had any time with one.?
I'd think something like this kaboat with a small 2 stroke would be perfect. Not sure what kind of weight limits you've set aside for it though.
No experience with the Oru but it looks good. I have used the Klepper and Folboat and like them on flat water and ocean but not for white water as it is too easy to break a frame. The Oru looks like an improved version of it's predecessors. The Kayak that gets the most use of the three I own currently is the Poke Boat. The single weighs 28 lbs. and can stand up to Class III rapids with a good paddler. The double I have only test paddled but it looks like you could carry a moose in it or at least a Caribou. Either could be carried on the floats but not sure what you would do with wheels on. On something like a Helio a belly mounting system might work.

As others said paddling the inflatables is a short distance proposition. But for downstream running many row well.

I think I would make a list of priorities like: portaging, paddling, portability, assembly, hauling etc. and see which gets the best marks.
I have a Saturn Kaboat and A Saturn fishing Kayak. Love them . Drop stitch floor 10 to 14 PSI about like a hard shell floor.
Shipping is what gets you about $200 so bring one up with you.

Send me a PM Kurt

15 ft Saturn Kaboat Amazing little boat with a 8 hp or 9.9 I use it on middle section of the Kenai River.
http://www.boatstogo.com/kayaks-sk470xl.asp
[Linked Image]

13 ft Saturn Fishing Kayak Very fast for an Inflatable almost keeps up with our hard shell Kayaks and tracks great.
http://www.boatstogo.com/fishing-inflatable-kayaks.asp
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
I'd think something like this kaboat with a small 2 stroke would be perfect. Not sure what kind of weight limits you've set aside for it though.

Now we're talking.
I looked at the picture, she looks rugged.
I'll read up on it.
Yes, a little 2 stroke would be perfect.

Just me and the pup. Fishing pole, rifle/shotgun, drysack with a change of clothes, maybe some 330's..not much gear really.
I'm not too worried abojt flying weight, I realkze It may take a trip or twl to get what I need/want back in there.
Originally Posted by kk alaska
I have a Saturn Kaboat and A Saturn fishing Kayak. Love them . Drop stitch floor 10 to 14 PSI about like a hard shell floor.
Shipping is what gets you about $200 so bring one up with you.

Send me a PM Kurt

15 ft Saturn Kaboat Amazing little boat with a 8 hp or 9.9 I use it on middle section of the Kenai River.
http://www.boatstogo.com/kayaks-sk470xl.asp
[Linked Image]

13 ft Saturn Fishing Kayak Very fast for an Inflatable almost keeps up with our hard shell Kayaks and tracks great.
http://www.boatstogo.com/fishing-inflatable-kayaks.asp

I'm liking that.!
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Anybody running an OruKayak.? - 03/19/18
Google it and watch the upstream runs through rapids. It is far more successful than a down river trip a guy you know had with his son on the Oswegatchie. No twisted, warped, aluminum pram involved. These are made in several lengths and different models. I like the KaBoat SK470XL.
Of all the pack rafts the PR-49 is the sturdiest. Not the lightest by any means but not terribly heavy either. It's tough. Check out some of the videos.

https://pristineventures.com/products/pr-49-standard-package/
Originally Posted by John_Havard
Of all the pack rafts the PR-49 is the sturdiest. Not the lightest by any means but not terribly heavy either. It's tough. Check out some of the videos.

Bullet Proof.

No motor mount. But someone could get creative.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Anybody running an OruKayak.? - 03/19/18
Originally Posted by 358wsm

Bullet Proof.

Those are not words that I would associate with the PR49.
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by 358wsm

Bullet Proof.

Those are not words that I would associate with the PR49.

I'm all ears. I'm very open to picking the best option, and your review and experience would be appreciated.

I mean, I realize it's not bullet proof in the literal, but seems you have an opinion as to their durability. If so, I would like to hear about it.

Thank you.

I still like the Kaboat with about a 6hp idea the best.
358: 15' kaboat 100# 6 hp Yamaha 60#. You do realize that means 4 legs in a Super Cub (big $$$)?
For a one time out trip its not an issue, or would not be to me anyway. Every time you go fall and spring, then its an issue.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Anybody running an OruKayak.? - 03/20/18
My experience with the PR49 was with it overloaded, so maybe not fair. We hung it on some rocks (very gentle hang up by rafting standards, relatively smooth rocks.), pulled it off and beached it, and that was its only contact. That put a ton of holes (maybe 100) in the floor. It is a LW raft, larger than most, maybe all other packrafts and therefore heavier. But not exactly tough.

I wouldn't trust it for long-term use unless you could bring enough patch material to make another raft.

CWH2,

Thank you sir.

That is valuable information, and word has it, I can be comfortable in trusting what you say.
Originally Posted by bobmn
358: 15' kaboat 100# 6 hp Yamaha 60#. You do realize that means 4 legs in a Super Cub (big $$$)?

No Sir,

There is little that I "realize" about the interior of AK.
What I do know is that the De Havilland DHC 3 is the largest plane I can land in there on the ice.
I am trying to learn all I can about transport and cost, and transport weight.
It has been recomended that a larger than 12' craft be considered, even as much as a 24' .
I'd also like to bring in another "newer" sno go than what is already back in. The DHC 3 can bear 3000lbs.
If I can get all the heavy, large, basics in on one trip then I am good. I'll store them, and lock it all down.
Originally Posted by rost495
For a one time out trip its not an issue, or would not be to me anyway. Every time you go fall and spring, then its an issue.

Correct Rost,

I just would like to get the larger basics back in there, and leave them.
Then it's a lesser issue year to year for my seasonal needs.

You also have to consider how you'll store it when not using it, and what damage it will be susceptible to i.e. UV degradation, bears using it for a chew toy, etc. Depending on use(s) a relatively speaking larger craft (raft or skiff) with a 15 horse two stroke kicker to haul loads and a lightweight canoe for exploring is a pretty good combo.
UV and Bears and wolverines and such would be my main worries on storage. And even a second storage shed won't keep the bears out.

Any comments on best ideas?

Like a meat cache on poles, and wrap with long flashing maybe? double or triple tarp'd for UV?
I would kill every squirrel in a 2 mile radius!
Making a suggestion is a little difficult as I have no idea what the river is like there, how you intend to really use it, or if you’re willing to do “what you need to” to get the “right” boat there if it can’t reasonably be flown to your camp. A boat without much useful payload is going to be less than ideal and not amount to much more than a toy to mess around with on occasion. Packrafts or any open boat that involves sitting on the floor is going to suck. Sitting in that thing when it spitting rain and snow at 30 degrees with your ass in a puddle of water will get really old in a hurry. A good quality inflatable can be nice since you can get it there easily and unless punctured are almost impossible to sink which makes them pretty safe and gives them a decent payload, but they will develope leaks. Anything plastic or canvas is probably going to get gnawed on by a critter at some point and as such you’re not going to be able to leave it inflated, or “set up” when it’s not in use. Bears love to chew stuff that’s plastic whether it be a cooler, gas jug, poly drum, canoe, ect... they are very curious and like to play with things and what could be better than something shiny and new you can sink your teeth into. Another thing to consider is that if it’s a project every time you want to use it, you won’t use it very often. You’ll have plenty of projects as it is.

From what little I know from your posts about where you’re going to be, I’d get the largest aluminum canoe or skiff I can get there in a practical manner, with an appropriate sized kicker. When it comes to outboards one of the most important things to consider is good dealer support and parts availability because you’re going to need it eventually. I’d call the Boat Shop in Fairbanks even if you’re based out of Anchorage.

If you end up with with a hard hull of some kind that’s plastic, make sure you have Marine Seal 5200 on hand along with some duct tape. For light weight aluminum a stick of Aluminox (or whatever the new product they replaced it with) is a good idea.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Anybody running an OruKayak.? - 03/21/18
Agreed with all of the above. Don't know if its feasible in this area, and don't know if would even be useful in this river, but an aluminum skiff with outboard and oars seems way preferable long term. Any chance you could haul one in there in the winter?
the last two posters are spot on ime. Only caveat I'd offer is Grabner makes a great lil inflatable, but the one I have sucks to row on a lake in the wind. No fun at all, but it will haul a decent load and the boat itself only weighs around 48 lbs. iirc. John at Mtn sports used to deal in them, he now works at Sentry/Frontier in FBKS if that's something you're interested in.

Storage would still be the concern for me with it in a remote setting. Mine hangs in our heated garage all winter.

also strongly agree with dealin with the Boat Shop, those guys not only know their stuff, they treat you like a human. Feel lucky to have them local to deal with, but they do lots of dealings in the Bush, so they can still help you no matter where you alight here.

2legit,

Yes. Those last two posters, as well as several of the other men, and yourself are indeed offering wise counsel. It is all much appreciated.

CWH2, I know that by sno go the trip in is about a week long. I'd be afraid of the many wet areas that could end everything along that route. It looks like the easiest, quickest, and safest way is still by air.

Ykrvak, Perhaps the biggest Aluminum craft possible to get in there would offer the most longevity. If going with an inflatable, in time I would have to replace it. As for safety, we're talking less than class 1 water.

I think that the best approach at this time is for me to get back in, take some pics, ask the folks at the Boat Shop, and then revisit the question with all of you then.
You gentlemen have guided me soundly based upon the limited knowledge I have been able to offer. I do like the strategy of having 2 crafts, perhals a large aluminum and a smaller sized inflatable. I think time will tell us all which choices will be the most suitable.

Thank you all.
© 24hourcampfire