Home
Posted By: skilakjim Alcan Travels - 06/06/18
I will be driving a truck up from New Mexico in a couple of weeks and it has been over 20 years since I have travelled through Canada. Is there still a minimum cash requirement to enter Canada or will a credit card work in it's place?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Alcan Travels - 06/06/18
I haven't been asked how much I was carrying in decades. I drove (yes, both ways dammit) last Aug, and March 2016.

Smooth sailing through the borders.
Posted By: skilakjim Re: Alcan Travels - 06/06/18
Great! Thanks for info.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Alcan Travels - 06/06/18
But cash in excess of $10,000 must be declared.......not illegal to have it but it is illegal to not declare it.

Alert your credit card company as to your travel plans.

Fuel prices are high and higher!

Watch for Japs on bicycles!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Alcan Travels - 06/06/18
LOL!
$10K? Things must be good in DJ. I've only had that much in folding dollars a few times, and shirley would not travel with it. grin

Some cash is good though. Buying fuel, you will get current exchange rates using a CC.

Worthwhile to buy a canada plan for your cell for a month.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Alcan Travels - 06/06/18
Originally Posted by ironbender
LOL!
$10K? Things must be good in DJ. I've only had that much in folding dollars a few times, and shirley would not travel with it. grin

Some cash is good though. Buying fuel, you will get current exchange rates using a CC.

Worthwhile to buy a canada plan for your cell for a month.

Things are good in Delta......Barley prices are up!

It takes only a few minutes to fill a freezer with snowshoe hares......exciting times!
Posted By: Owl Re: Alcan Travels - 06/06/18
The last Few times I've been to BC, I was only asked the purpose of my visit, and when I would be returning to the states. Oh... and on the last trip (2015) If I had any FIREARMS or weapons, including cased knives or automatic knives.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Alcan Travels - 06/07/18
the 10K thing cracks me up, that's been going on so long and the purpose was to crack down on drug dealers.....yeah right, dried that problem right up

you can't buy a good second hand vehicle for 10K, granted 10K used to be a fair bit o money. but in 2018? What the heck can you buy with that? 2 decent hookers?
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Alcan Travels - 06/07/18
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
granted 10K used to be a fair bit o money. but in 2018? What the heck can you buy with that? 2 decent hookers?

Not even 2.......
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Alcan Travels - 06/07/18
If I am looking for hookers I would rather they be rather indecent...
Posted By: DryPowder Re: Alcan Travels - 06/07/18
I talked to a guy I work with Saturday who was on his way to Anchorage. We wasn't very far into Canada and had $300.00. grin
© 24hourcampfire