Home
Posted By: 358wsm Primer sealant-do you use it. - 11/25/18

Just curious to know if a fellow is going to be in the bush for extended periods of time if sealing primers is a helpful option (recommended) or not.

That would be a no...

Thanks Art.
Seal the primers & projectiles only if you are diving to depths.

If you are diving to depths in AK,you better have donned a dry suit.
I live in SE, which gets tons of rain. Never sealed a single primer.
Never
I’ve sealed a few that I figured would be carried a lot more than likely reloaded. But I’ve since fired ammo so grungy from saltwater exposure that a ruptured case or over-pressure corroded bullet were the bigger concern. Sealing primers on ammo that may spend time in standing water would be recommendable however, but rain is no real concern to me.
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I’ve sealed a few that I figured would be carried a lot more than likely reloaded. But I’ve since fired ammo so grungy from saltwater exposure that a ruptured case or over-pressure corroded bullet were the bigger concern. Sealing primers on ammo that may spend time in standing water would be recommendable however, but rain is no real concern to me.

The long way to say no smile
😎
My mind is elsewhere. I was thinking about sheetrock.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Why, I aughta just...😀
Been reloading since the early 70s. Have never used a primer sealer.
Yep! Been reloading since the early 70’s tooand all in wet Alaska. Ziplock baggies suffice well.
No sealer...
Originally Posted by ironbender

Yes.
And it gives something for the texture to stick to once sprayed and then again once the texture is....
Wait.? This isn't about sheetrock.? laugh

I appreciate all the responses

Thanks
Originally Posted by 358wsm

Thanks

But they are all like, like, like negative, man...
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by 358wsm

Thanks

But they are all like, like, like negative, man...

But the truth is enlightening!
I have used a primer sealer before and might still have some on the shelf. Don't laugh, I have done many stupid things in my life and I ain't done!

I think MD should do a test, dump a few rounds with different primers in the sink and see if they fire the next day. Are crimped bullets more waterproof then uncrimped bullets?
The ammo I load for hunting I usually seal the primers. Factory and military ammo are both sealed. So I figured it would not hurt anything and there is a chance it could help. It’s not like it’s expensive or time consuming. Hasbeen
I sealed a box for an Alaskan bear hunt, once. If it gives you peace of mind...let 'er rip.
© 24hourcampfire