Home
SERIOUS! Shaking~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still going!!!!!
Strong here in Delta also......gotta be a big one!
Keep us posted. Son just called and said it was so big it knocked out the power.
What earthquake? I thought I had gas... smile

YThere it goes again!
And again. The dog is worried!
Maybe the word is "yet."....
Sounds worse where you guys are than here. I was on the phone with my wife whose in Fairbanks and it sounded worse there too.

Stuckagain Heights on a building

...ran for my life outside, just in case she decided to collapse
I thought Minto must have gotten flattened since thats where we've felt them from lately. Just talked to brother in ANC and he said they wondered if the house would stand....lots of broken glass!

Shake, rattle, and roll . . .

Hope everyone is ok in the affected area.
You guys are better than the news! Real on-the-ground accounts!
7.0 right now 8 miles nw of elmendorf.
First one 7.0 about 13 Kilometers N of Anchorage, 2nd one ~ 6 minutes later, 5.8 about 4.4 kilometers SSE of Anchorage..

Must be all that fracking in Oklahoma. (Rick, where's the sarcasm emoji?)

Ed
Current Earthquake List LINK
Originally Posted by ironbender
7.0 right now 8 miles nw of elmendorf.

Most of the folk in Mountain View didn't feel a thing.

I'll bet the cub hanging in Cabelas was moving.....my ceiling fan was ready for lift off.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
You guys are better than the news! Real on-the-ground accounts!

Earthquake.alaska.edu got a bit too many hits all of a sudden laugh
We felt it here too. I heard from a buddy that Minnesota drive by anchorage airport collapsed and they are evacuating buildings. Power out in Wassila, and friends in Talkeetna house was damaged...
Talked to some friend in Chugiak and their house was damaged, lot's of things knocked down.
Lived in Anchorage 40 years. Biggest earthquake yet by far! REAL shaker

Just got this from a friend in Anchorage...

M6.7 Earthquake - Southern Alaska
Preliminary Report
Magnitude 6.7
Date-Time
30 Nov 2018 17:29:29 UTC
30 Nov 2018 08:29:29 near epicenter
30 Nov 2018 08:29:29 standard time in your timezone
Location 61.318N 149.944W
Depth 43 km
Distances
5.0 km (3.1 mi) SSE of Point MacKenzie, Alaska
11.4 km (7.0 mi) NNW of Anchorage, Alaska
20.2 km (12.5 mi) W of Eagle River, Alaska
28.4 km (17.6 mi) SW of Knik-Fairview, Alaska
806.3 km (499.9 mi) W of Whitehorse, Canada
Location Uncertainty Horizontal: 0.0 km; Vertical 0.8 km
Parameters Nph = 100; Dmin = 0.0 km; Rmss = 0.51 seconds; Gp = 0°
Version = 1
Event ID ak 20419010 ***This event supersedes event AT00pj0ol4.
Not as big a magnitude as the Jan 2016 (7.2). But felt here more. Perhaps because I was sleeping at 2AM for the Jan quake. smile
Niece on Mercer Island [Seattle] felt it and concerned for tsunami warnings.
I live by Cheney Lake, my house took a pounding everything on the floor ,no apparent house damage ,still have power,don’t see any water leaks.
Originally Posted by VernAK
Niece on Mercer Island [Seattle] felt it and concerned for tsunami warnings.

Nothing that far south. Just in south central.

www.Tsunami.Gov

Rock slide near Mchugh creek closing Seward hwy.
Think they have upgraded it to a 7.0 now
Hearing the hiway is closed. Eagle river bridge collapse?
Yep. Posted that above.

At least a dozen aftershocks.
[Linked Image]

@ Minnesota and Intl. Airport.
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Hearing the hiway is closed. Eagle river bridge collapse?

Is this confirmed?
I lost a lot of pictures off the wall... most of my coffee sloshed out of the cup. Cabinets dumped... and I do not know the true extent yet of the damage yet. I see plumbing trucks coming through the neighborhood. Just had another aftershock. They have been pretty steady since it hit.
I hope everyone that can read this is ok. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
I just talked to the wife and we have damage to our house in Wasilla. It doesn't look too bad from the picture, but I'm no where near the US so what I have is one picture to look at.
I hope all of you are okay. My place in Anchor Point may be in the bottom of the bay by now. crazy
Damm climate change ......these things are going to get worst......blah blah wolf wolf ...
Damn 25+ aftershocks all between Anchorage and Big Lake.

Originally Posted by Hudge
I just talked to the wife and we have damage to our house in Wasilla. It doesn't look too bad from the picture, but I'm no where near the US so what I have is one picture to look at.

Let us know what you need.
They are continuing, pretty much without let-up...
And no deaths reported?

I hope everyones OK.
Originally Posted by Caribou
And no deaths reported?

I hope everyones OK.

Frigging OP was probably just a bit over-excited!
We just got power back. Went out right after the shaking started.

Lots of bullets on the floor, a little bit of broken glass, and one wine bottle busted, which made a mess. Freezer doors hanging wide open and spilled a little moose meat out, but that was easy cleanup.

Other than that, nothing major.
Some of the aftershocks are fair serious. I wouldn't say you were over-excited Art. I was in full on "kill everyone" mode for a good 10 minutes.
Art, you will have to tell your favorite Senator that we quit using the "Richter Scale" quite some time ago... My peeps in Kodiak are fine, have not heard from loved ones in Anchorage. Prayers going that way.
Okay, I will tell my favorite senator, but what good would it do to talk to an outside senator?
wink
Sorry for all you who have damage and hope that is the worst of it for you.

We read what you write and see some pics but it ain't like going through it. Stay safe my friends.
Just got another good jolt as this opened...
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by Hudge

Let us know what you need.

Thanks, and I will. From some pictures my son sent it looks like cracks in the drywall mainly and the garage floor. Hopefully the foundation is in good shape.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Okay, I will tell my favorite senator, but what good would it do to talk to an outside senator?
wink

she don't appear to be aging too well, from the TV interview. must be a rough life riding the fence all the time...
Originally Posted by kid0917
wink

she don't appear to be aging too well, from the TV interview. must be a rough life riding the fence all the time...

She really should retire...
I foolishly went to work about 10 minutes later. Got downtown and it was a nightmare. Westchester lagoon was all cracked open and the Seward highway by Tudor dropped a foot or two. Lot of water cane up and filled the median. This schits no fun! The wife and kids are a bit freaked out with all the aftershocks.

After shocks got me a bit shy...

Working on a 3 story house, concrete floors throughout with radiant within, could make for a Hell of a fly swatter for this little fly if she decides to give way... been running outside a lot.
Best wishes to all in the area
Thoughts and prayers to the people of Alaska
Originally Posted by 358wsm

After shocks got me a bit shy...

Working on a 3 story house, concrete floors throughout with radiant within, could make for a Hell of a fly swatter for this little fly if she decides to give way... been running outside a lot.

Running outside is a good way to end up like the wicked witch in wizard of oz.
"light aggregate" could sure hurt, when it hit
sorry to hear it, hope the disruption is manageable
fox is sayng 6.6
6.6 was preliminary magnitude. Now being called 7.0.
Art, you will have to tell your favorite Senator that we quit using the "Richter Scale" quite some time ago... My peeps in Kodiak are fine, have not heard from loved ones in Anchorage. Prayers going that way.

Yep. Richter is so 1950s! 😁
That's bigger than the Northridge earthquake of '94 and that one shook like hell. I was on a third floor and caught a falling bookcase (luckily cheap IKEA) across the waist and legs.

7.0 is some shaking!
How longbwas the main shake .....god/golly i hate them long ones ....and ya cant do a dam thing..
Prayers.
The temblor registered on a seismograph in Taylorsville, NC. 4,300 miles away.
Originally Posted by atvalaska
How longbwas the main shake .....god/golly i hate them long ones ....and ya cant do a dam thing..

I have to believe it was well over two minutes in the first big jolt. The aftershocks have really died out, but they were hot and heavy there for quite a while.
i hope it is not a warm up for the same or worse
seeing dozens of pics on FB, roads are broke up like graham cracker
I've been out of pocket with mom supposed to have open heart surgery this morning that got cancelled.

Sure glad to see its damage only this far, and no deaths. Hopefully no injuries.

We are not in control comes to the top once again.

Thoughts and prayers for all those that received damage.
That was interesting. Biggest shaker I've felt so far. No major damage at home. Emptied the cabinets, pictures fell, and broke some stuff. Kitchen smelled great, as the spice/herb cabinet got launched!

Jeff, hope all goes well with your mom.

Jeff
Rushed out of work to check on my place, and was damn glad I did. Walked in to a fire burning on my stovetop.
Otherwise just the usual broken glass and everything tossed off any shelf and onto the floor.
Overall, I think we're pretty lucky in that I havent heard of any deaths yet.
Worst thing for me was every whisky bottle in the house fell and broke...

Sorry Steve.

wink
And just like that there is another little shaker...
Sure Art, Likely story.

I had 5 fall of the top shelf, and not a one broke.
Cork fell out of one and spilled 2 fingers worth, but that was it.
Yuppers biggest one I`ve ever felt since 1971 when I moved here , me and little dog in my arms in door way frame between dining room and kitchen totally freaking out as china cabinet ejected a row of dishes each shake and kitchen same thing cupboards opened and closed and tossed [bleep] everywhere. Ran to garage killed the gas and water in between the two hits , as radiator on ceiling thats heats garage came part way down and coupling on taco pump unscrewed itself spraying water everywhere . Spent most of day vacuuming glass up after power came on. Every one else came home from work wife etc. Just got done fixing plumbing and checking for gas leaks we are back online but what a mess. Dog sat in backyard under trampoline for a hour shaking had to go drag her back in the house before she froze. Wife is really pissed all her china and polish pottery and instapot got busted to sh**. I think I got some scuffed up rifles now as one row of ww1 and ww2 rifles went down into a pile frown . But hey were all alive and thats all that matters. Aaron
I still do not have guts enough to go look at the bullet cabinets...
Aftershocks are kicking back into gear. Just had a good one. Could hear it coming from the SW for quite a while before it hit.
Yup just felt two more as I cracked a beer to try and relax , dog is freaking again though. yeah don`t look in your bullet cabinets I haven`t even checked the rifles that were in factory boxes after they fell or picked up the 12 guages shells that rolled all over garage floor .
Gonna go have 'a stiff one' on behalf of family down that way who wanted to but decided maybe it would be wiser to put it off just in case.... wink

Hope you south-centralizes manage to have a decent night without too much rollicking.
Still lots of aftershocks. Fortunately most are quite small. Not feeling the 3s here.

http://earthquake.alaska.edu/earthquakes
First shake was TWO MINUTES? Holy smokes. That is a long, long, LONG time in earthquake time!

Pictures we're seeing of asphalt broken and buckled don't look like quick repairs.

Thank God all you gents and your fams are OK physically.

Two minutes! I can't imagine, and I've been thru a few down here in Cali.

Pulling for you guys.
That last one just a couple minutes ago was pretty solid here... will be a tough night, I am thinking, Right now I am hearing another headed here.
And there it is!
Yep felt that one 5.1 and 11 miles deep
Originally Posted by RickBin
First shake was TWO MINUTES? Holy smokes. That is a long, long, LONG time in earthquake time!

Pictures we're seeing of asphalt broken and buckled don't look like quick repairs.

Thank God all you gents and your fams are OK physically.

Two minutes! I can't imagine, and I've been thru a few down here in Cali.

Pulling for you guys.

Yeah it was nerve wracking I thought for sure our house was going to start falling apart..
That was a dandy just now... had some staying power, too.
5.2 16 km n of anch.

Fe,t tbat one here
And another one Jesus.. going to be a long night
Pulling for all our North Country brethren
Surreal doesnt really describe it, but thats the best word i have.

Anybody needs anything, they need to let me know as we are unscathed and have one of everything. At this point i just feel guilty to have slipped by so easily.
Just had a flood in my house both bathrooms kitchen, garage all gutted, insurance adjuster 10 minutes out lots of damage here some doors wont shut, dont need any more events for a while.
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Just had a flood in my house both bathrooms kitchen, garage all gutted, insurance adjuster 10 minutes out lots of damage here some doors wont shut, dont need any more events for a while.

Damn that sucks, hope everything works out.
Wishing you guys all the best. I lived in Alaska for 35 years, mostly in Eagle River and several of our friends had serious damage to their homes but so far no one is injured. Going to be a huge financial disaster to everyone hit even if they did have earthquake coverage.
One of my Buds called. Said he had a friend in Muldoon that was made to sleep in his recliner as he had too much to drink. When the first of the noise and shake awakened him, he said a huge bear was attacking him. Seems his full mount was falling on him.
Originally Posted by 79S

Three shakes throughout the night, good enough to wake me up...
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
One of my Buds called. Said he had a friend in Muldoon that was made to sleep in his recliner as he had too much to drink. When the first of the noise and shake awakened him, he said a huge bear was attacking him. Seems his full mount was falling on him.

That's pretty funny right there...

543 quakes in the past 24 hrs....
I do hope our American government helps Alaska with a lot of funds for recovery and just use the funds we don`t need to give away to other countries ! you can bet no other country will help Alaska but us American`s and I do hope we do ! I hope !?????
My dog has decided to hell with my rules. She is a lap dog!

She starts barking before I start feeling it.
My dog is too she wont leave me and hasn`t eaten since yesterday . Just had another jolt.
Originally Posted by pete53
I do hope our American government helps Alaska with a lot of funds for recovery and just use the funds we don`t need to give away to other countries ! you can bet no other country will help Alaska but us American`s and I do hope we do ! I hope !?????

I was thinking about that and how Murkowski's position on things could hinder Fed help.
Not much I can do for you folks up there except hope and pray that the shaking stops soon enough. I hope your families, friends, and others of your acquaintance are safe for now.

You folks that are in touch with each other, is everyone of the 'fire members you know of accounted for?

Godspeed in your new lives, post earthquake.

Geno
I can help ...I will go on the wagon for the next week.....that should free up some spare beers for u fellows....
I just saw in ADN where Girdwood FD set up a center, just in case, but no one came. Everyone had gone to the brewery.

If my dog stops eating, I'll know she is either very sick or dead... smile. Despite waking us up several times during the night for shakers, she wanted her breakfast on time, at 6:30 this morning.
Originally Posted by 79S

Three shakes throughout the night, good enough to wake me up...

That one about 5:05 woke me up before it got here with the noise... it was pretty nasty in the delivery...
Originally Posted by las
I just saw in ADN where Girdwood FD set up a center, just in case, but no one came. Everyone had gone to the brewery..

Hard to say "Alaskans with style" and "Girdwierd" in the same sentence!

Anybody needs anything, they need to let me know as we are unscathed and have one of everything. At this point i just feel guilty to have slipped by so easily.

Dittos. Lots of stuff knocked over, few drywall cracks but essentially no damage. Very thankful family, friends and the community came out with no loss of life.

I feel for those who commute from Eagle River and the Valley, they are going to have a nasty commute for quite some time.

I was in the bay area during the '89 quake. I'm hoping two 7.0's in my lifetime covers me for major seismic events for my lifetime.
Just heard the first truly tragic story of the quake... a friends cabinet collapsed and all 16 bottles of high-end single malt died in one large slosh!

He tried to suck it up with a shop vac, but realized it is now just blended...
That is a shame.
Just heard the first truly tragic story of the quake... a friends cabinet collapsed and all 16 bottles of high-end single malt died in one large slosh!

He tried to suck it up with a shop vac, but realized it is now just blended...

My condolences.

Might of brought a straw and a filter and helped
with the clean up had I known.

What's with this wind.?

Wind speeds were only supposed to be 6 mph today.

Kinda makes it hard to wrap Tyvek.

Perhaps another thread....

Just a big front coming up from the Gulf into PWS and then on over the top. Warm, wet, and windy until it works its way through. Chinook winds are what they are usually called.

Ah, I see..

"Chinook Winds"
Talked to a fellow at home depot this am, said his gun safe got to bouncing so hard it fell through the floor. A friend said his was rocking back and forth and knocked a hole in the sheet rock.

I must have a lot of weight in mine; she never budged. The refrigerator however moved to the center of the kitchen.
I keep checking on folks, glad all so far have nothing but damage, lives are the most important.

Y'all hang in there!

Ah, I see..

"Chinook Winds"

I believe true Chinook winds come up the Columbia Gorge in mid to late winter and bring huge warm spells, but many call ours Chinooks also.
Chinook is an east slope of the Rockies thing.

Figure if ya start at the Rockies and keep working your way east you'll eventually get here..
A friend in the process of moving from Palmer to Idaho is on a plane to deal with damage.
Could not recall the name of them adiabatic/katabatic winds. Had to hit up Wikipedia. Basically the same as Santa Ana wknds. Localized name for foehn wind.

[Linked Image]
Pic wouldn't embed for me.
Winds that give us red flag warnings.

Ahhh....the official finished siding choice of Alaska. 😁
The wife said the dogs have not faired well, she found the golden hiding in the shower after one of the bigger aftershocks.

Fun, aren't they?
You'll never look at earthquakes the same way ever again...even the small ones will get your heart pounding from now on.
You can't cheat the mountain Pilgrim.
Originally Posted by Vek
Chinook is an east slope of the Rockies thing.

These days, probably/possibly, but if they are named after Chinook Indians, that seems a bit inland, no?
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Fun, aren't they?
You'll never look at earthquakes the same way ever again...even the small ones will get your heart pounding from now on.

Not my first quake and certainly not my first seriously major one either... '64 is still fresh in my memory. But it was probably number two in the hierarchy, all things considered. They do not get my attention as much today as they used to, actually.
Could not recall the name of them adiabatic/katabatic winds. Had to hit up Wikipedia. Basically the same as Santa Ana wknds. Localized name for foehn wind.

[Linked Image]
Pic wouldn't embed for me.

Katabatics are the bad ones here, when the winds develop coming down over a glacier and accelerate because of it... but again, that is likely colloquial and they probably let them happen in the Rockies without ice...

Kinda like yesterday was a James Bond day... Shaken, Not Stirred,,, Alaska style.
Now, the Adiabatics always make me wonder where the evaporative heat loss goes....

wink
Originally Posted by las
My dog has decided to hell with my rules. She IS a lap dog!

Here we go - this is the 3rd or 4th, but she's getting used to them now.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

He's building in the high rent district, I'm sure they'll be lap siding over the tyvek.

When I was talking to my builder about all the foundation bolts and brackets while our house was going up he said the building code for our winds requires a more robust structure than the seismic code. A have a renewed appreciation for building codes and inspectors.

Fun, aren't they?

Not my first quake and certainly not my first seriously major one either... '64 is still fresh in my memory. But it was probably number two in the hierarchy, all things considered. They do not get my attention as much today as they used to, actually.

Wasn't here in '64, but agree with Art after having riding out a major quake previously. Once the shaking stops I look around and if all is more or less well I give thanks and go on about my day. I'd say having spent roughly 1/2 my life in Bay Area and the other 1/2 in South Central AK that up here I've felt at least 10 times as many quakes. I'm at the point where once the shaking stops I assess my surroundings and if all is good pretty much shake it off. We had some pretty sizeable aftershakes Friday night. We were watching a movie, I'd here it coming, see the Christmas tree swaying and windows rattling and it didn't even faze me.

Made a grocery run yesterday and was surprised that other than a few cases of cans with dented lids at Costco and a limit of three cases of bottled water you wouldn't have known the day before was a major quake. Did find it curious someone showing up pulling a small u-haul trailer.
Just don’t get too complacent.

The Big One is coming.
Or not. wink
https://www.adn.com/opinions/nation...that-we-all-survived-the-quake-on-friday
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Fun, aren't they?

Wasn't here in '64, but agree with Art after having riding out a major quake previously. Once the shaking stops I look around and if all is more or less well I give thanks and go on about my day. I'd say having spent roughly 1/2 my life in Bay Area and the other 1/2 in South Central AK that up here I've felt at least 10 times as many quakes. I'm at the point where once the shaking stops I assess my surroundings and if all is good pretty much shake it off. We had some pretty sizeable aftershakes Friday night. We were watching a movie, I'd here it coming, see the Christmas tree swaying and windows rattling and it didn't even faze me.

Made a grocery run yesterday and was surprised that other than a few cases of cans with dented lids at Costco and a limit of three cases of bottled water you wouldn't have known the day before was a major quake. Did find it curious someone showing up pulling a small u-haul trailer.

Being in Costco during the shaking i think would have fazed me! All that heavy stuff way up high! Spooky!

Spoke to a friend at Fred Meyer and they seem to have had a bad day, especially the Abbott store... lots of broken pipes... but they got back open within hours.

The Big One is coming.
Or not. wink

Yup!! I love this quote from Will Durant....... "Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice."
Originally Posted by akpls

The Big One is coming.
Or not. wink

Yup!! I love this quote from Will Durant....... "Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice."

Pithy!
wink

He's building in the high rent district, I'm sure they'll be lap siding over the tyvek.

When I was talking to my builder about all the foundation bolts and brackets while our house was going up he said the building code for our winds requires a more robust structure than the seismic code. A have a renewed appreciation for building codes and inspectors.

In reality, building for all the above, to include floods, doesn't take all that much more, but it does have to be done correctly from the start to finish. And even then, while most survive what they are rated to, some you just can't win.
Originally Posted by akpls
...I love this quote from Will Durant....... "Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice."

Amen to that! Down here in coastal British Columbia, we're constantly being told to prepare for the big one. Where I am (inland from Vancouver) the projected damage level is pegged at "moderate", whatever the heck that means. My house is about 10 years old so built to code at the time, but if I were doing it again I'd be asking the architect/engineers if there was anything they'd recommend beyond just the code requirements. I just replaced the pressure tank in my well house and the now have to strap it down so as better to resist falling over. Then there's the stuff I should have done years ago, lilke fastening the tops of the bookcases to the studs...

We've also had a couple of summer fire scares, and the interior of the province has had record wildfires and destruction. The recent destruction of Paradise CA reminded me that next spring I need to finish plumbing in the rooftop sprinklers. Several houses in Paradise that survived were so equipped. I have about 3500 gallons of water stored underground so could dampen down the area around the house pretty well. Also whole-house battery backup and 6kW diesel genny,

Basic life is getting scary....

A day late perhaps? laugh
I just replaced the pressure tank in my well house and the now have to strap it down so as better to resist falling over.

Talking to lots of folks that had water problems. My water heater had a connection fail from not being strapped properly.
https://obrag.org/2010/04/next-eart...t4l1xmB9J6lZy5uhDQlVl72i3FZCrZnKrMHfUW70

Good link bear. Thanks.
And then there is the freezing rain coming down now and for the last 4 or 5 hours down here. Power just came back on..... I imagine iced lines came down somewhere. Sposed to turn to snow tlater tonight , and I have to drive tomorrow. It is SLICK out there!

Someone seems to have it in for us....

The dog plowed into my legs going full speed from behind, on ice, on our walk tonight.. She was "catching up" after a sniff-fest behind us, and as usual came like a streak, using me for an aim point, and could not slow, stop, or change direction. She slipped just going down the deck steps a few minutes ago for a potty break!

Sprained my left wrist when I hit. I hope it is only a sprain.... Could have been worse. Tylenol PM tonight!

That article looked familiar; I read it again and remembered that the author's opinions (and indeed the author himself) were considered controversial by many, as indicated in the comments. One of the criticisms was that his advice was predicated on different building standards than we have. Don't know what to think myself. Any evidence in the damage up there to support the "triangle of life" theory?
Originally Posted by Stuart

That article looked familiar; I read it again and remembered that the author's opinions (and indeed the author himself) were considered controversial by many, as indicated in the comments. One of the criticisms was that his advice was predicated on different building standards than we have. Don't know what to think myself. Any evidence in the damage up there to support the "triangle of life" theory?

No deaths, few seriously damaged buildings and no collapses I am aware of. Building codes in other countries create situations where earthquakes of the same intensity kill hundreds and even thousands and we had zero...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

perfect!!! everyone knows!

Dittos. Lots of stuff knocked over, few drywall cracks but essentially no damage. Very thankful family, friends and the community came out with no loss of life.

I feel for those who commute from Eagle River and the Valley, they are going to have a nasty commute for quite some time.

I was in the bay area during the '89 quake. I'm hoping two 7.0's in my lifetime covers me for major seismic events for my lifetime.

We live in the Valley, but the wife works in Palmer now, and I am out of country on a contract gig. I am thankful the family is all fine, and thankful I am no longer driving to JBER for work daily at the moment either. The wife said we lost 50% of the TVs in the house, and she has replaced the one in the living room as of today. She said she's done shopping at Wal-Mart as they are price gouging people on TVs. I guess when I get home and we need milk, I'll have to drive a little further to Fred's for it now. My brother in-law and sister in-law are coming up from FL for Christmas, so my brother in-law looks to be having a working vacation now, as he told the wife he would fix all the cracks and paint as needed. I think the wife is going to have a home inspector come in and check the crawl space etc., as we were hoping to sale the place in the next 5 years and buy some property to build on. I'm hoping it's just the cosmetic damage she has sent me pictures of and nothing else.

I've got a quesiton, how many of you have earthquake insurance? I didn't take it out as when we closed on the house in Jul 2014, I was told my deductible would be 20% of the home value. I guess some neighbors have it with USAA and they are saying it only added about $75 a month to their bill and their deductible is 10%. Maybe I'm a high risk, as I we lost our ass in Hurricane Katrina when we lived in Ocean Springs, MS, but USAA did us right I felt in that situation.
Originally Posted by pete53

Will our Alaskan brothers get treated better than,
our Puerto Rican brothers?
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by las
My dog has decided to hell with my rules. She IS a lap dog!

Here we go - this is the 3rd or 4th, but she's getting used to them now.

[Linked Image]

Las,

Great looking pup (even when a bit frightened).

Back.roads are slick today. Came up Campbell Airstrip Road this morning. Of course coming up the first big hill was a car sideways in the road, not going anywhere ('cept over the edge). Fortunately I had a 50# bag of sand and gravel with me, it's the only way I was able to get my rig underway.
I've got a quesiton, how many of you have earthquake insurance?

I did not, but I have learned a couple things since this quake. All damage is tax deductible, right down to a broken plate. And, FEMA is taking claims for those with substantial damage.

I went to look at a fireplace yesterday in eagle river. It had snapped in half, half way up, and had spun about 15 degrees, and was teetering, ready to fall through the roof and into the house. There is major damage out there. I suspect by the end of the week, we'll have a better idea how much.
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
First one 7.0 about 13 Kilometers N of Anchorage, 2nd one ~ 6 minutes later, 5.8 about 4.4 kilometers SSE of Anchorage..

Must be all that fracking in Oklahoma. (Rick, where's the sarcasm emoji?)

Ed
Current Earthquake List LINK

Ed, see whaqt happens when you are not in NE Texas!!

I did not, but I have learned a couple things since this quake. All damage is tax deductible, right down to a broken plate. And, FEMA is taking claims for those with substantial damage.

I went to look at a fireplace yesterday in eagle river. It had snapped in half, half way up, and had spun about 15 degrees, and was teetering, ready to fall through the roof and into the house. There is major damage out there. I suspect by the end of the week, we'll have a better idea how much.

Virtually no one has earthquake insurance. The premiums are high and the deductibles are higher.
You all take care up there.
I made a claim for the fire damage, but we'll see if they decide to claim it was caused by the earthquake and not covered.
I'm still waiting on an adjuster to call me, but I'd imagine they're pretty busy, and My place is livable so I'm not gonna throw a fit.
Fire? What the hell happened?
According to our insurance people, fire is covered.
Sirens here all day Friday and Saturday. Stove pipe came apart on wood stoves, would be my bet
Sirens here all day Friday and Saturday. Stove pipe came apart on wood stoves, would be my bet

Good point, I'll take a look before I decide to burn one!

Be careful with FEMA and the wording substantial damage. In a flood zone it often means you can't repair, you have to demo and rebuild to flood height at a minimum. Not sure how that word transfers to earthquakes but I'm just saying.
I've not seen much good from FEMA personally after our worst flood, classed as a 1000 year event instead of a 100 year event IIRC. But some did manage some good out of them.
Fire? What the hell happened?

Had something turn on a burner on my stove. My ceramic utensil vase walked onto the stovetop, right on top of said burner.
By the time I got home, everything inside the vase was on fire.
Luckily I got it put out without it spreading but my stove is destroyed, microwave is charred and there's smoke damage that'll require repainting the whole kitchen and replacing a cabinet front. (matching that up will be a royal bitch)
Just heard FEMA will only help if the building is condemned. For seniors seeking help, contact ADRC (aging and disability resource center)
Just heard FEMA will only help if the building is condemned. For seniors seeking help, contact ADRC (aging and disability resource center)
. There ya go. Not like you also need help if not condemned.

And what we saw here quite often, if you work, have insurance, and are responsible, yet insurance etc... just doesn't quite cover the loss, don't even think about asking.

But if you are on assistance, sit on your azz and are possibly illegal alien on top of it, we'll house you, give you money and even maybe replace your shack with something brand spanking new... At least thats what I got out of having to deal with them.

I let my FEMA certs expire after that fiasco.
I dealt with FEMA when we lived in MS and went through Hurricane Katrina, we lost a lot of stuff, but since it was a rental FEMA denied me anything. We did get a loan from AF Assistance Fund, and then they forgave us for the loan. That was a huge help as it got the wife and kids into an apartment. I had a former troop that moved to FL and they lost their house in the recent hurricane, and FEMA denied them coverage saying he made too much as an NCO to qualify. The wife has already started replacing items in the house and is keeping receipts. I think my garage heater bit the dust though, so I've got to get (rather the wife does) someone to look at it soon.
I was in the shower when it hit, I will never look at showers the same way again. We had so much glass and pottery break that I was able to fill a 55 gal garbage can about 3/4's of the way, my shoulder mount Brooks ram fell about 10-11 feet but sustained no damage. I also had a European mounted Dall ram do a complete 180 on it's pedestal but my European mount moose, elk and another ram stayed hung on the walls. Have a crack in the floor in my garage and another in our driveway, the door going from the house to the garage is tweaked and there are places in the walls where the nails started coming out.

Considering how massive this quake was I consider myself lucky that we didn't lose our house or that nobody was injured. It will be a while before we get over this one.
Pretty good aftershock about 10 minutes ago... still plenty rumbling through every day.
Pretty good aftershock about 10 minutes ago... still plenty rumbling through every day.
They are saying this could go on for a month or longer, I hope to god they are wrong.
I hear you sleeping on couch with dog all night got woke 3 times, really good on the last one, they said it was a 4.7 at 700 am I`m so exhausted I starting to feel like I`m getting ptsd. I know the dog has it already .
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
They are saying this could go on for a month or longer, I hope to god they are wrong.

I look at them as good things, relieving stress...
I was planning to come down an loot u guys ....

Didn't you and Walker already do that?
Saying they could go on for a month is just to help settle people's minds. They probably will drop right off soon.

We ain't much to loot at...
Saying they could go on for a month is just to help settle people's minds. They probably will drop right off soon.

Quakes will steadily decrease in magnitude and frequency.

Quakes will steadily decrease in magnitude and frequency.

Or not. wink
Ain't living here a joy? Well, yeah, mostly. Not so much lately.

Fooking freezing rain down here on the roads also.... Bought chains for the Ram yesterday, as it isn't wearing winter tires. And the wife's new Expedition with studded tires is in the body shop while she is in Montana for a week. We won't talk about WHY it is in the body shop, but it wasn't me! smile.

At $140, the chains were half the cost of one tire, and likely won't be used much, but if it is necessary, I have them. My two 20 year old - one set never used - highly aggresive sets were for 16's and neither quite fit, tho with a little rope, one got me the 4 miles out to the sanded highway yesterday. I chained up the front, and one of the chains even made it all the way! The other almost... close enough! I have to get one set to my Fbks son, who hasethe old Expedition, the other fits my '90 Chev 3500.

Roads were mostly sanded by the time I came home, except for 100 yards of my driveway, so I didn't have to chain up for that. I just followed my chain-chewed tracks back to the garage .

I should go see if those new chains actually fit.....but I'm slacking with a sprained wrist. If'n I was still drinking, at least I'd have something to do. My drinking hand is still good, just out of practice..... smile. Picture to follow.

[Linked Image]
And more freezing rain forecast for today!
[Linked Image]
Well, hell, Watch - fill is easy. Ice takes spring.... smile
Here's a video from inside my oldest boys school during the shaker. They didn't waste any time getting under the desks!

Cable the front double or triple rail the rear.
Heard on the radio that by Sunday afternoon, the Minnesota/ Airport ramp as at grade and paved.

Heard someone say Alaskans are showing the world that we’re the ‘get it done’ crew.
And everyone in Alaska has gun.. well that's what people on fb are saying 😁

Virtually no one has earthquake insurance. The premiums are high and the deductibles are higher.

I guess the wife and I must be about some of the only people in our neighborhood that don't have earthquake insurance. According to the neighborhood Facebook page, the people that made claims were all happy until they were told, oh you didn't meet your 10% deductible, we aren't paying you squat. I guess I'll keep on going without it. We had it in Arkansas, and an earthquake occurred and the insurance dropped it all together for everyone in the state. The wife did find some more damage, our heater in the garage bit the dust. I guess it shook a little too much.

Heard someone say Alaskans are showing the world that we’re the ‘get it done’ crew.

Indeed.

Indeed.

And they expected something else?
Perhaps.
I'm still amazed at the differences in damage levels, and how 99% of the area is just fine while certain areas are destroyed.

After this 7.0, I'm 100% sure that I don't want to go through a 9.2.
I'm still amazed at the differences in damage levels, and how 99% of the area is just fine while certain areas are destroyed.

Riley had two photos fall off the wall... into the baby's cradle... he was not in it (neither Riley nor the baby)... huge skull collection stayed on open shelves, virtually nothing broke. He lives closer to you than me... you are both in good locations for quakes I would guess.
I was in my crib.
I was in my crib.

You gangsta, You. 😎

Indeed.

That’s never been in doubt.

I’ve always said grab a handful of Alaskans and you could build or do just about anything imaginable.....assuming there’s no alcohol present. 😁
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I was in my crib.

You gangsta, You. 😎

Do he shoot sideways too?
I was in my crib.

You gangsta, You. 😎

Pretty sure it was a gold-plated Glock even. 😛

Riley had two photos fall off the wall... into the baby's cradle... he was not in it (neither Riley nor the baby)... huge skull collection stayed on open shelves, virtually nothing broke. He lives closer to you than me... you are both in good locations for quakes I would guess.

We had a bunch of broken glass to clean up, but it was all from one cabinet. I'd say we did quite well...

Friends of our in Big Lake were not so lucky.

Indeed.

I’ve always said grab a handful of Alaskans and you could build or do just about anything imaginable.....assuming there’s no alcohol present. 😁

Oh hell. That's what it takes to get us to show up! wink
I was in my crib.

You gangsta, You. 😎

Yo, dog.

We had a bunch of broken glass to clean up, but it was all from one cabinet. I'd say we did quite well...

Friends of our in Big Lake were not so lucky.

My friend in Palmer had damage to his house and shop. The pics are surprising. As he said, nothing time and money can't fix.
If money can fix it, it isn't a problem...
I was in my crib.

You gangsta, You. 😎

Yo, dog.

I hope your next Glock purchase is scrutinized VERY carefully...
I was in my crib.

You gangsta, You. 😎

Yo, dog.

It's dawg gees
Is his white showing again?
Cool video of a guy driving a CJ-7 across Vine Rd in Wasilla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=96&v=U7q10yxYq2w
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Cool video of a guy driving a CJ-7 across Vine Rd in Wasilla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=96&v=U7q10yxYq2w

Made it look easy...

Cause it is...
That was a pretty serious shaker there!!!!!!!!!! had some noise and some sustain!
And again!
Felt that one.
[Linked Image]
Earthquake website called it 4.8 for one of them, I am looking foward to aftershocks stopping sooner rather than later. My hiney is getting tired from all the butt clenches when they start, although i may be getting more fit.
Originally Posted by batch
Earthquake website called it 4.8 for one of them, I am looking foward to aftershocks stopping sooner rather than later. My hiney is getting tired from all the butt clenches when they start, although i may be getting more fit.

Not sure what you want your hiney to fit there... wink

I just look at it as letting off a little steam and reducing pressure...
That was a pretty serious shaker there!!!!!!!!!! had some noise and some sustain!

I was on the ground floor of the Conoco Phillips building. Looked up and saw about 10 tons of glass hanging over my head. I decided I could eat my lunch elsewhere.
I'm not feeling them down here. Insensitive I guess. Honey Half-lab tells me about them! Good dog.
Interesting early analysis of the main shock and aftershocks.

https://earthquake.alaska.edu/using-aftershocks-define-fault-ruptures
Originally Posted by las
I'm not feeling them down here. Insensitive I guess. Honey Half-lab tells me about them! Good dog.

Many times as you have been called insensitive and you still question it???

wink

That is interesting and does not agree with what a fellow was telling me the other day... and he was supposedly a geologist and quake specialist...

That is interesting and does not agree with what a fellow was telling me the other day... and he was supposedly a geologist and quake specialist...

you shouldnt talk to yourself

Indeed.

Or Liberals.
Originally Posted by las

wink

Now you hurted my feelers.... you insensitive bastid. Go back to feeling those butt-tremors.... smile
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by las

wink

Now you hurted my feelers.... you insensitive bastid. Go back to feeling those butt-tremors.... smile

Now you push the sensitive bastid button...
wink

Come on down. We'll welcome you with open arms sights.
Originally Posted by mart

Come on down. We'll welcome you with open arms sights.

grin
5.0 heard that one coming
5.0 heard that one coming

Yeah, it lasted a long time for such a low octane shaker.
Since it shook loose the stone that was there; and busted the arch all to hell, I thought I'd better record what went down.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire