Home
Posted By: MM879 The Last Alaskan's - 12/21/18
Does anyone know what kind/size of rifle Heimo's daughter is using? It is a stainless on a light colored wood stock with matching stainless scope. From the kick my guess would be 300 win. It would be interesting to know what pistol she is packing. I love the show and all the segments.
MM879
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/21/18
At one point she had a Ruger 77 varmint rifle so couldn’t have been bigger than a 308.
Posted By: MM879 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/21/18
It is obvious that Heimo's daughter has put a lot of thought and consideration into her gun choices. There are a lot of interesting firearms in the series. The AR 10 that was used to take a Grizzley in Kavac was interesting. Not my choice for artic weather, but it worked.
MM879
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/21/18
I don't know the caliber, but it appears to be a Ruger Mark II, with the laminated stock there was a Cinnamon color and a gray. She obviously has the Cinnamon one.
Posted By: pete53 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
maybe a 7mm rem.mag ? both rifles it appears. they are magnums you can see the belt on the brass, but the bullet looks smaller than 30 caliber
Posted By: kenster99 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
Heimo himself shoots alot of big game with a 22-250, I think??
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
I have wondered about this also... Heimo does shoot a .22-250 not sure where I heard that.. Fed blue box ammo..
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
I think Heimo uses an old Remington 788 and I'm guessing 308. He is certainly aware of the bear issues and has no problem shooting one that is a problem. I don't see the 22-250 as adequate although popular with many native folks for caribou. Heimo goes after moose as well.

I stand corrected. 458WIn says Heimo uses 22-250 for everything.
Posted By: eblake Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
By far the best of the Alaskan reality shows. I enjoyed seeing the Savage 24 on a recent episode. It looked like the top barrel was a centerfire caliber.
Jack, I still think the .22-250 was mentioned, maybe by his daughter to someone here on the fire... If you notice, he always has a .44 and when there is any issue with bears they take shotguns and slugs.. Maybe buckshot too..
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
Old Bob Harte went to the great beyond not too long ago. It was sad to see him go downhill so quickly. Heimo and his family seem to know their stuff about living in the wilderness. Edna trapped two wolves in one set last season. The older and smarter residents use snow machines and don't live their lives owned by dogs.
That's the one the young man had, that belonged to his dad. Top barrel was a 222 Remington.
Posted By: MM879 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
Yess, that riflle was really cool. The peep site is nice.
MM879
Posted By: MM879 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
I think that you are correct. A Ruger M77 Mark II. The square bolt handle looks the same as on the show.
MM879
WyoCoyoteHunter, I agree, I stand corrected. I edited my post above.
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
I agree, best of the alaskan shows. Miss Bob Hart on that show, always appreciated his attitude of gratitude for the way he chose to live.
Posted By: IceCut Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
It is a Ruger Mark II and it is very, very likely in 30/06.....
No question this is the BEST Alaska show on television. I miss Bob Harte. He was the real deal. On the other hand, Life Below Zero is -to us Alaskans- pretty FAKE....but, to OUTSIDE people it is a winner!
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
Life below zero is pretty dumb....yeah we get it, it’s cold out and you have no room for error....
Posted By: Caribou Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
Oh, critics! LOL!

I do agree that Last Alaskans a seems pretty good for the 4-5 eps Ive seen.
Posted By: pete53 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
Last Alaskan is a great show,the loss of Bob Hart is sad , I do enjoy Heimo and his family too. What ever happened to Ray Lewis he was my favorite and to be honest he look like a man from the past generations tough ,strong and a big man with a old lever Winchester 30-06, I would sure enjoy living with Ray for 6 months in the cabin. maybe Caribou should be on a Alaska show somehow ,he seems more interesting than those other Alaskan shows ? I have a old friend who lives kinda near Bethel,Alaska named Leroy Z. an old Viet Nam vet lives way out in the sticks he would be more interesting than some of those other Alaskan shows too.
Posted By: milespatton Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
"maybe Caribou should be on a Alaska show somehow ,he seems more interesting than those other Alaskan shows "

He is. miles
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
Lewis Family was mocked for Cindy and their daughters' eye conditions. They said to heck with that. Ray's gun is a Winchester 1895 30-40 Krag that was rebored by JES to 35 WCF. He is a very practical guy and works hard framing houses in the Summer in Fairbanks and they go trapping downriver in the winter.

Krin has a number of different guns. She has a 7 Rem and a 270 Win. She also has a 338 Win and she likes Rugers. Right now she tends bar at Tony's Bar at night and works part time with me at Sportsman's Warehouse. Heimo has a number of different rifles but likes the 788 in 22-250. They all carry sidearms up there as grizzlies are very aggressive and you don't ask questions later. Scott is funnier than heck in real life and works as a federal security guard at the federal building.

Bob was a very sincere and earnest guy. The show doesn't show his stepson Traver who teaches history with me at WVHS and who is 42 and is married with two kids or that he liked to drink a bit when he was in town. He wasnt an alcoholic but was nice. On his last day he called all of his friends together and they had a bonfire with beer and brats and sat around talking all night and he died the next day. I knew him from coming into SW and just talking about stuff. He was a real old breed trapper with a great skill set just not good at landing airplanes.
Posted By: Rusky Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
Most viewers are in the big cities and have never seen open spaces. The producers have to ensure the show is interesting to them, they are paying the bill. Alaska's handful of viewers are inconsequential to the show'a success. One might consider that fact that there is a lot of Alaskans that have never seen Alaska.
Posted By: 79S Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Lewis Family was mocked for Cindy and their daughters' eye conditions. They said to heck with that. Ray's gun is a Winchester 1895 30-40 Krag that was rebored by JES to 35 WCF. He is a very practical guy and works hard framing houses in the Summer in Fairbanks and they go trapping downriver in the winter.

Krin has a number of different guns. She has a 7 Rem and a 270 Win. She also has a 338 Win and she likes Rugers. Right now she tends bar at Tony's Bar at night and works part time with me at Sportsman's Warehouse. Heimo has a number of different rifles but likes the 788 in 22-250. They all carry sidearms up there as grizzlies are very aggressive and you don't ask questions later. Scott is funnier than heck in real life and works as a federal security guard at the federal building.

Bob was a very sincere and earnest guy. The show doesn't show his stepson Traver who teaches history with me at WVHS and who is 42 and is married with two kids or that he liked to drink a bit when he was in town. He wasnt an alcoholic but was nice. On his last day he called all of his friends together and they had a bonfire with beer and brats and sat around talking all night and he died the next day. I knew him from coming into SW and just talking about stuff. He was a real old breed trapper with a great skill set just not good at landing airplanes.

That's too damn bad about Ray and his family I really enjoyed his parts in the show.. seems like a real down to earth guy who loves Alaska. I thought Krin was married to a marine stationed in North Carolina. I haven't watched any new episodes this year.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
That’s too bad about Ray but I sure don’t blame him since I’d likely do the same thing to protect my loved ones. I have a great deal of respect for Ray and his family as I thought they were all very smart, capable people.

I also enjoyed watching Chip (caribou) and his family carry on the traditions of his wife’s family. There’s much honor in respecting the memories of those gone before us and using the knowledge they’ve passed down to continue living life in a harsh land.

I too miss Bob, his knowledge and the slice of his life that he shared with us.

I apologize for my forgetfulness but were Bob and Edna the couple that lost their young girl in the drowning on the Colleen? I deeply respected the pain and guilt they shared and marveled at their strength in the face of such heartbreak. I’m not ashamed to admit that I shed a couple of tears over their remembrances of their baby and the love the two of them shared.
Posted By: AK375DGR Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
That’s too bad about Ray but I sure don’t blame him since I’d likely do the same thing to protect my loved ones. I have a great deal of respect for Ray and his family as I thought they were all very smart, capable people.

I also enjoyed watching Chip (caribou) and his family carry on the traditions of his wife’s family. There’s much honor in respecting the memories of those gone before us and using the knowledge they’ve passed down to continue living life in a harsh land.

I too miss Bob, his knowledge and the slice of his life that he shared with us.

I apologize for my forgetfulness but were Bob and Edna the couple that lost their young girl in the drowning on the Colleen? I deeply respected the pain and guilt they shared and marveled at their strength in the face of such heartbreak. I’m not ashamed to admit that I shed a couple of tears over their remembrances of their baby and the love the two of them shared.

[u][/u]

It is Hymal and Edna,,,,, I met them both back in the mid-80's, as I was up on the Head-Waters of the Colleen.
LJ cool
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
Thanks. I was wrapping presents earlier and I was racking my pea brain and I sorta remembered that but wasn’t sure. Tough thing to lose a child. There but the grace of God....

Thanks for your reply and Merry Christmas to you all.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
May have been avoidable?

Tough thing to lose a child, even tougher when in hindsight it might have been avoidable.

I didn't read or see it that way. Not giving you a hard time, just saw it differently.
Posted By: Caribou Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/22/18
If I remember correctly, Heimo and Edna had the name of the river changed to that of a daughter that drowned when they had a sweeper in the river overturn their canoe.

Our homeschooling course had a VHS back then of Nat Geo and Heimos family. ''Braving Alaska''.
Very enjoyable read.. Hope folks keep adding information.. While Last Alaskans is my favorite, I do like Chip and Andy in Life Below Zero.. Andy seems to be a really talented guy!!!!!
Posted By: pete53 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/23/18

kaboku68 , Glad you gave us a little more history about the people of the Last Alaskan show, but Ray Lewis will be missed ! next year when I am up there just maybe I can meet one or two of these people ? as has been said its a great show of true Alaskans !
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/23/18
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
May have been avoidable?

Tough thing to lose a child, even tougher when in hindsight it might have been avoidable.

I didn't read or see it that way. Not giving you a hard time, just saw it differently.

I don’t mean any disrespect and will edit my post because that came out wrong I think. My apologies.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/23/18
Talked to Krin. She said it was a 270 Win and Scott has a 300 Win Mag.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/23/18
I'd love to sit around a fire with Heimo or Caribou and his family.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/23/18
Agree Hank, Heimo and Caribou would be great to listen too. The young man, Charlie Lagow on Last Alaskans really seems to be much wiser beyond his years and very talented.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/23/18

Thanks for posting that. The Last Alaskans is one of my favorite of the reality shows. I really liked Ray and miss not seeing his family on the show. Bob Harte was a character, and he was my favorite on that show. There is a lot more to those people than we, the viewers, will ever know, and it's only because of someone like you, that knows them, that we find out more than we do.

Thanks again.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/23/18
The Last Alaskans is one of the very few shows I'll sit down and watch; don't have time for television.

In reference to the Lewis Family.....human beings never cease to disappoint me. I wonder how many would be willing to make a comment in front of Mr. Lewis?

Heimo and his wife Edna have always been my favorite, but I sure will miss Ray, his family and Bob.
Posted By: MM879 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/23/18
That's really good to hear. A 270. It makes even more sense.
MM879
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/23/18
Its still Hollywood. I wonder how many people would turn it to another channel if they knew that both Edna and Krin still chew quite a bit of snoose. I will never forget talking to Edna and the Discovery film crew director woman who produces the Last Alaskans at the Fred Meyer store and Edna goes over to near one of those garbage cans near produce and spit snoose into the can.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/23/18
Hey they are both adults. My grandma used to chew snoose.
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
Originally Posted by Caribou
Oh, critics! LOL!

Aren’t you a convicted felon??? I guess it shouldn’t be surprising, it will give you some more village cred.
Posted By: 79S Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Oh, critics! LOL!

Aren’t you a convicted felon??? I guess it shouldn’t be surprising, it will give you some more village cred.

Uh oh shots fired...
Its still Hollywood. I wonder how many people would turn it to another channel if they knew that both Edna and Krin still chew quite a bit of snoose. I will never forget talking to Edna and the Discovery film crew director woman who produces the Last Alaskans at the Fred Meyer store and Edna goes over to near one of those garbage cans near produce and spit snoose into the can.

I hope it's Copenhagen
Originally Posted by 79S
Oh, critics! LOL!

Uh oh shots fired...

I just find it funny how so many people will likely say it’s no big deal yet they would never want a felon of any sort living next door to them. This guy is a scumbag and should probably be locked up for child abuse but of course that will never happen because his wife is a native. It sucks but as much as I hate to say it, chip here is likely the best example of what Alaska is...felons living in villages and creating situations where their kids are doomed to never improve their own lives......that’s village life, not some self made millionaire who lives in Fairbanks flying out to his cabin a few weeks of the year to film a show.
Posted By: Rusky Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
Oh, critics! LOL!

Life is short. People that think they are better than their fellow man are missing the real point of being a human being. Lashing out is a common sign of insecurity which is a terrible thing, it will eat on you until you become a bitter person, that is if you haven't already. Belittling your fellow man shouldn't be a hobby or a life's goal. The target may be a better person than their tormentor.
Originally Posted by Rusky
Oh, critics! LOL!

Life is short. People that think they are better than their fellow man are missing the real point of being a human being. Lashing out is a common sign of insecurity which is a terrible thing, it will eat on you until you become a bitter person, that is if you haven't already. Belittling your fellow man shouldn't be a hobby or a life's goal. The target may be a better person than their tormentor.

Annnd lol we got one. I bet you’re tune would change if the convicted felon was living next door to you and you had kids around. But yeah, I’m so insecure for calling a spade a spade. Gtfo.
Originally Posted by 79S
Oh, critics! LOL!

Uh oh shots fired...

I just find it funny how so many people will likely say it’s no big deal yet they would never want a felon of any sort living next door to them. This guy is a scumbag and should probably be locked up for child abuse but of course that will never happen because his wife is a native. It sucks but as much as I hate to say it, chip here is likely the best example of what Alaska is...felons living in villages and creating situations where their kids are doomed to never improve their own lives......that’s village life, not some self made millionaire who lives in Fairbanks flying out to his cabin a few weeks of the year to film a show.

Well,,,,,,,,, I guess you don't know, but caribou/chip conviction was overturned awhile back, like a year or so ago... so he isn't a convicted felon...
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Oh, critics! LOL!

Uh oh shots fired...

Well,,,,,,,,, I guess you don't know, but caribou/chip conviction was overturned awhile back, like a year or so ago... so he isn't a convicted felon...

Oh yeah, he forgot the "Up yours!"
Posted By: milespatton Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
Its still Hollywood. I wonder how many people would turn it to another channel if they knew that both Edna and Krin still chew quite a bit of snoose.

Anybody watching and paying attention knows. Can was obvious in Her back pocket in some of the shots. This woman was known to take a Dip also Miss USA-1982. She was also a finalist in the Miss Universe Pageant. miles
Posted By: milespatton Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
Chip has been very open here about the felony conviction and it being overturned. Sounds like you have a grudge against Him. He even was on the show, as to why for a while He could not shoot anything, and when He went to prison. He also re-visited after when He was given the right to use a rifle again. He was out in the open, and you, APKENDUDE, are sniping. miles
Posted By: JamesJr Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
Back during my "cowboy" days, I used to do a lot of riding and some roping. We were at a big trail ride and there were some girls there from the rodeo team of a nearby college. Several of them were very pretty girls.......with a can of Skoal in the back pocket of their jeans. Talk about a turnoff........it was for me anyway.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
Seems that some on the fire are looking to take the Great Almighty’s job. I would love to see what skeletons they have in the dark corners of their closets.
Posted By: MM879 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
This thread was started to inquire about the firearms used on a popular show., nothing more. I really don't want to hear any bad personal stories about the people involved. Their life is their personal business.
MM879
Posted By: 300stw Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
i think best show on tv,,,,, the show portrays moose hunting is a pretty tuff deal for most of them, does that seem fair assement

the young couple with the baby seems to be in moose habitat,

seems them and charlie gonna have tuff times in trapping season,,,

how long it take to cut 50 miles of new trail thru the forest,,,,,
Posted By: pete53 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
big deal some one has been convicted ,or is a released felon they served their time its over > GET OVER IT ! I would worry a little more about illegals and liberals ! and pray America gets that wall up !
big deal a lady chews stuff ,as long as she doesn`t spit in my beer I could give a crap ! as far as Chip or any of these Last Alaskans ,I enjoy Chip`s honest true feed back on 24 hr. campfire so don`t puck it up ! I like all of the Last Alaskans shows, if you don`t like it don`t watch it !

Clint Eastwood said it best : >some people just need to be hit in the head with a shovel !
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
We got your back Chip.
As far as the snoose, my grandmother lived to be 104 yrs. She carried her spitcan wherever she happened to be. Honest snuff from a jar and she dipped it with a Popcycle stick. I loved that women, but had a hard time giving her a kiss.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
Originally Posted by MM879
This thread was started to inquire about the firearms used on a popular show., nothing more. I really don't want to hear any bad personal stories about the people involved. Their life is their personal business.
MM879

In last night's episode, looked like Charlie used a Kimber Montana to kill that bear?

Thay young man has his sheit squared away.
Posted By: Hudge Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
Originally Posted by milespatton
Its still Hollywood. I wonder how many people would turn it to another channel if they knew that both Edna and Krin still chew quite a bit of snoose.

Anybody watching and paying attention knows. Can was obvious in Her back pocket in some of the shots. This woman was known to take a Dip also Miss USA-1982. She was also a finalist in the Miss Universe Pageant. miles

Oh man, I grew up in Cabot, and I remember the sign that said "Welcome to Cabot, Home of Terri Utley, Miss USA 1982". She was closer to my sister's age, and was already out of the area before I knew who she was.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
Here's the deal. Krin is an ironworker and most of the year she is working on construction projects. She is not one of the people on the crew that is there because they are female or a minority. She works hard as hell at everything that she does. If she needs to load a Honda 3000 into the back of a truck, she'll do it. Bush people work incredibly hard to survive and they work because its burned into their systems. Whenever somebody from the Bush comes in to look for a job I go right to the store manager and tell them to hire them on the spot. They never belly ache, they don't complain and they are there on time and work as hard as hell. Bush people will come in to pick up extra shifts and they won't call in sick. They are the kind of people that made our nation great. Most people who try to work will complain, lounge around, talk to coworkers, shirk responsibilities and generally do little as possible. Krin will get on somebody's can if they are lazy or weak. Charlie has been guiding but he knows that if he came in we would hire him without hesitation. We know he would work hard. Ashley and Tyler also work extremely hard all of the time. Not a single one of these people wants fame and instead avoids it whenever possible. Except the young feller-Eric Salitan from LBZ. Chip would agree. I don't care for him much.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
There are a lot of float hunters that hunt the Colleen and Sheenjek(where the Seldens live). Walt is one of the dudes who arranges float trips up to these places. They have been breaking into cabins and taking stuff on their floats through the area. I can tell you that most of the locals are not happy with this. The country has a hard time producing enough most for 25-35 groups of float hunters and locals. I am not anti-outside or anti-float hunting but I do not like it when groups like the BLM, USFWS and NPS turn locals from NW Alaska and Arctic Alaska against hunters then it pushes hard against the moose populations that are left.
Posted By: rost495 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
Walt. Who'd have thunk it... typical, make all you can at the cost of whom you do not care.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Back during my "cowboy" days, I used to do a lot of riding and some roping. We were at a big trail ride and there were some girls there from the rodeo team of a nearby college. Several of them were very pretty girls.......with a can of Skoal in the back pocket of their jeans. Talk about a turnoff........it was for me anyway.

Chew among village people is like smoking was back in the day: "it wasn't ladylike". (whatever the means!)

Go out to any village and you'll still find kindergarten kids of either gender with a circle on their jeans from 'the can'.

Wife finally made the break after chewing for 40 years. Been off it a year now. She always thought it was funny to see many men using both hands to make the 'deposit'. She was so adept that she held the can in one hand, raised the lid with thumb and forefinger, curled her tongue into the 'black beauty', and rolled it under her lip. First son was born with nicotine withdrawals.

'Real' (serious) chew is "blackbull". That stuff is straight fire cured twist tobacco mixed with the ashes of the shelf mushrooms which grown on birches, alder and other trees locally. The ash opens the skin inside the lip so that there is nearly 100% passage of the nicotine in the leaf. (You chop it all up together by uluaq or coffee grinder, add some moisture: coffee, tea, ....let an old lady pre-chew it, and then keep some handy in a small ziplock or snuff tin.....if you want to try this at home). Blackbull seems to be especially favored among the females.

grin
Probably good I never got anything from nicotine. Not much from alcohol either really.

But who cares if folks, male or female, like this? Its their thing, and I've not a bad thing to say about it. We all have vices so to speak, one form or fashion.

We ain't gonna live forever either.

We aren't promised the next breath. So when I want to mix some beam black with a smidge of cocacola, or some straight bulleit 10, or laphroag... I don't let comments of others slow me down. Now and then I pull out a pipe. I've been known to smoke a cigar now and then when we were still competing in service rifle and I'd manage to ace a match or such. Or just the joy of competing at Perry after a l long day...
Posted By: Caribou Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
Oh, critics! LOL!

Since you were nice enough to ask;

Yes, I 'Was' a Felon, but not no more.
[Linked Image]

There is no 'expungement' and I wouldn't ask for a Pardon, because I dont need to be forgiven.

Both Troopers conspired to frame me, tampered with their recorded audio, committing Evidence tampering, Obstructing Justice, as both were ''missing time'' from their recording due to editing out what would have proven Alaska State Trooper Chris B Bitz assaulted my daughter, a child at the time. They did this to cover up the assault on a child that I reported. As a vice Cheif in our Firedept, I was compelled by law to report such, and as a father to the victimized child, I would do so again.
Both Alaska State Troopers lied under oath repeatedly.
Every time an edit is made, the 'gap' is joined at the next whole second, either 'snapped to' or 'snapped back' depending on the recorders setting, and an accumulation of edits can be fractions of whole seconds adds up to ''seconds gone', depending on how many edits were made. There are 11 accumulated seconds of lost time due to editing from Alaska State Trooper Gordon D youngs recordings from 7/17/11 and 5 seconds 'missing' from the time difference between recording time and actual recording on Alaska State Trooper Chris B Bitz , when both recording time and actual recorded time should be exactly the same. Both recordings were made of the same incident, both are edited.

On the vid, the 'cut' takes the recording to the next whole second (1;13;50.00.00.00) but the fraction of a second gap that was blank and claimed by Alaska Buero of Investigation to be a 'pause' is disproved by Olympus Tec, the makers of Olympus DM-10 recorders, the recorders used by the AST that day. The gap should have caused another recording file to be opened. A 'pause' would have had information start recording again at the exact point of pause 'on' when the pause is turned 'off'', and , again, there would be no gap in information.

Its possible, we are looking into it now, that ABI has Obstructed Justice with fake investigating their own Troopers. AST Ben Evans of the ABI told me the missing 11 seconds was due to a 'pause' on Gordon Youngs recording, but had no answer for Chris B Bits missing time . With less than 48 of looking into the matter after I presented the evidence to the ABI, he called me on my wifes cell. I dont think they did much 'investigating'

Files on the recordings were renamed, which is impossible on the recorder, and have download time of the time of the incident and days after all jumbled up, as well instead of plugging the recorder into their computer and downloading into the system, they turned in CD's 22 days after the fact, and much more.

Other guys came forward, unsolicited, with the crimes Alaska State Trooper Gordon G Young committed with their recordings.

Its $$, a Lawyer and the FBI involved. (Agent 'J', no kidding!) This May the Olympus people and Audio Forensic Specialists uncovered MORE....

This all came from the Kotzebue branch, as there is NOTHING to do with Nome or other stations in this area. Alaska State Trooper Vance Peronto, the child molesting Trooper caught bringing a 15 year old girl underwear at a motel also worked with these guys.

Here, listen to most obvious edit, and yes , thats me he is suddenly talking to, after removing pertainit conversation AST Gordon D Young has it tampered to ''So tell me about ...., and this is unrelated...'''' well thats a second conversation as obviously note by AST G.D. Young, 'unrelated' to what we just talked about, but ENTIRELY cut out, to cover up what I reported, the assault on a child by Alaska State Trooper Chris B Bitz.
19 seconds, is it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjk1oymtT48

I have great neighbors. All kinds. laugh
Before I was convicted, I was a Hunter and me, the wife and kids made hundreds of thousands of $$ with art work and museum displays with the fur/skins we caught, tanned ,cut and sewed.
[Linked Image]
I used to volunteer a lot of my time when we are in the village, I was an EMT-1, Vice Chief of our local Volunteer Fire dept, 27 years with Search and Rescue, and on our Northwest Arctic Borough Disaster Planning Commission. Lost all that and a lot more from the felonys.

My kids have 'skills' that they would never have learned in some public school. This makes them functional and productive in the Village, and anywhere else they seem to end up in life.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My oldest Son is a work, accomplished Hunter and Trapper, something only a Home schooled education would give him and back when the shut down the HS program, he spent his 12 grade year in high school and graduated Valedictorian.
The second oldest boy lives and works in Anchorage.
The oldest daughter Tinmiaq sews and teaches, as well as camps and hunts with us, and she graduated Salutatorian from high school and took a couple years worth of collage.
The second daughter Iri was Valedictorian, and live quite well with her son and boyfriend, Hunting and fishing along with me and the wife.
The middle girl,Mary is in UAF, doing quite well, my 16 year old daughter Carol home schools, and the youngest is an A student in the local school.
Theres nothing abusive about raising kids to work. Lots of exercise, decision making and planning, clean water, fresh, traditional foods and not only preparing the foods, but catching and processing them, with the 'extras' such as skins. furs, antlers, etc to be made into arts/crafts for cash Money to keep the ball rolling.

My kids would have no problem outworking most any Man. The best you can do for your kids is give them a good work ethic.
24 and 21 and still going to camp.
[Linked Image]

As for my first run in with the cops, this was an eye opener. Ive worried about them going after my kids all right, but they haven't so far. Having my kids dragged into 'the system' is a real threat to me.

As for the thread, my apologies if my response to the question is long in wind. The book about the experience is almost finished.

I work with the SAME people that film/produce/tec First Alaskans, and the defunct Yukon Men. All these people are interesting, though filmed in various style, the real difference is in editing. Anything that gets shown on a movie or TV IS edited, thats how it gets there.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
I love the show. Just wish the Lewis's would come back as that dude was tough. Also liked his choice of firearms. We lived in Alaska for almost 35 years and our 30 year old son was born there. Every time he visits me in TN one of the very first thing he does is search the dvr for the Last Alaskans. Son was fortunate enough to do some long river moose hunts up the Koyukuk and Huslia rivers and many fly in Kodiak deer hunts and knows what village life can be like. The one regret I had about leaving Alaska was wished the wife and I moved to the bush for a few years before we got to old and gave it a go. But thats life.
The show that Caribou is on is also good, but they just seem to repeat the same message every show with every main characters.
Caribou, tell em to mix it up.

The Last Alaskans is the gold standard. The producers are top notch. I really get a kick out of seeing the Arctic Oven tents in the background during the drone shoots.
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by MM879
MM879

In last night's episode, looked like Charlie used a Kimber Montana to kill that bear?

Thay young man has his sheit squared away.

He shot a moose with a kimber Montana a few seasons back as well.
Originally Posted by milespatton
Chip has been very open here about the felony conviction and it being overturned. Sounds like you have a grudge against Him. He even was on the show, as to why for a while He could not shoot anything, and when He went to prison. He also re-visited after when He was given the right to use a rifle again. He was out in the open, and you, APKENDUDE, are sniping. miles

No grudge at all, I don’t even know the guy.
Posted By: Hubert Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
I don't watch such trash.
Posted By: AK375DGR Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
Hey Chip, Good Come-Back,,,,, that AKPENDUDE, need's to Apologize to you, and your Family,,,,, for running his mouth,-[the key-board]- before engaging his Brain,,,, that is if he actually has one, and as far as I'm concerned, thats still OPEN for Debate. Thats my position, and I'm Sticking to it.
You keep on doing what you've been doing,,,,, it's all GOOD; grin
The Best to you and your Family during this Holiday Season.
LJ cool
Originally Posted by Hubert
I don't watch such trash.

Lemme guess, pennsylvania?
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Hey Chip, Good Come-Back,,,,, that AKPENDUDE, need's to Apologize to you, and your Family,,,,, for running his mouth,-[the key-board]- before engaging his Brain,,,, that is if he actually has one, and as far as I'm concerned, thats still OPEN for Debate. Thats my position, and I'm Sticking to it.
LJ cool

Posts like this are exactly why I won’t apologize.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I love the show. Just wish the Lewis's would come back as that dude was tough. Also liked his choice of firearms. We lived in Alaska for almost 35 years and our 30 year old son was born there. Every time he visits me in TN one of the very first thing he does is search the dvr for the Last Alaskans. Son was fortunate enough to do some long river moose hunts up the Koyukuk and Huslia rivers and many fly in Kodiak deer hunts and knows what village life can be like. The one regret I had about leaving Alaska was wished the wife and I moved to the bush for a few years before we got to old and gave it a go. But thats life.
The show that Caribou is on is also good, but they just seem to repeat the same message every show with every main characters.
Caribou, tell em to mix it up.

The Last Alaskans is the gold standard. The producers are top notch. I really get a kick out of seeing the Arctic Oven tents in the background during the drone shoots.

A little Clarification for you...... Yea, the Arctic Oven Tents your seeing are being used by the Film Crew, and FWIW, Hymal and Edna have had one set-up as an "Emergency" Shelter for years, just encase the Cabin were catch on Fire in the Middle of the Night, @ 60-below,,,,,, Just-Sayin.... grin
LJ cool
Sadly, I can relate too well. I sometimes wonder if the AST is simply continuing along the same lines as the Catholic hierarchy did with priests back in the 50s-60s-70s-80s: sending their defectives out to the bush.

Except the Troopers are going after the elderly and younger members of our family, while the church affected those who are now in the middle. Money fixes none of it, and time is never paid back.

(Nome has some good, but they also harbor some human waste. UNK has Branch - who was part of the pair that made statewide news a few years ago when they were videoed tossing the Native gal around in her own home in Kodiak.)

Rural Alaska life doesn't need help from 'good' people in order to be challenging.
LJ cool

Yea,,,,,, and your a "Dick", thats for sure.!!!!
LJ cool
Posted By: saddlering Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
Good for you Chip! I like the Alaskan shows, and enjoy seeing your ways of life! i so wanted to go to Alaska , when I got out of High School back in 1976, every one said I was nuts! I just didnt have the Funds to get there, and no real Trade, I do wish Id have gone, and have always regreted Not just going!
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Sadly, I can relate too well. I sometimes wonder if the AST is simply continuing along the same lines as the Catholic hierarchy did with priests back in the 50s-60s-70s-80s: sending their defectives out to the bush.

Except the Troopers are going after the elderly and younger members of our family, while the church affected those who are now in the middle. Money fixes none of it, and time is never paid back.

(Nome has some good, but they also harbor some human waste. UNK has Branch - who was part of the pair that made statewide news a few years ago when they were videoed tossing the Native gal around in her own home in Kodiak.)

Rural Alaska life doesn't need help from 'good' people in order to be challenging.

The troopers are worthless, I recently witnessed one tell a 10 year old kid and his 13 year old sister who had been badly beaten by their drunken uncle to “not be so argumentative” with their uncle.

The troopers are worthless, I recently witnessed one tell a 10 year old kid and his 13 year old sister who had been badly beaten by their drunken uncle to “not be so argumentative” with their uncle.

(Step)daughter does have an admitted smart mouth at times, but at least she had the balls to ask Branch, when she was arrested on a bench warrant in November a couple years ago, why she was being arrested for an issue that had been paid and covered for four months previous. Rather than, perhaps, checking to see what she was talking about, he rushed her off to Nome for an overnighter at the Correctional Center. Judge wasn't much impressed by the AST performance when she appeared the next morning.

These's more, but chartering a plane this summer because they heard that 'someone' (me) had been heard on the VHF commenting about "perhaps a capsized boat up on the beach" without bothering to check with the source first....... but never showing up to investigate arson or make more effort to figure out a local murder where a young gal had her hair chopped off and was tossed over a bluff onto the beach below.......SMH

I am still stupid enough to generally hold law enforcement in high regard....... but it's pretty sad when they who should be eminently trustworthy are not trusted, and I don't.
Posted By: Caribou Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/24/18
You keep on doing the right thing, Klikitarik, and duck the incoming. Its hard to be on a side line when were all supposed to be on the same side.

Its not a decent world out there, but you have to take a stand when you see such crap, and do something about it.

They got me by altering the recordings, lying, and using the weight of the state against me.

It dont matter, though, I would do it again if I saw kids beaten or harassed by anyone, including law enforcement.

I couldn't live with myself for being a Pussy if I saw such happen, and then did nothing.

I wonder what kind of law enforcement the Arctic Refuge has? Feds?
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/25/18
Good show, keep it coming.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/25/18
Troopers out of FAI. But the BLM ranger is the main dude. He doesn't bother the trappers much. Yuck has some city police and they do some stuff but its mainly the ranger. Chip.. Knowing what I know after three years out in Ambler I would go straight to a judge and skip LEOs. I know good ones and bad ones. Chris Hatch is a VPSO and I bet that Chip would go to him before he went to the Troopers. The AST show sure screwed up law enforcement in Alaska.
Posted By: old_willys Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/25/18
I had hunting buddy recently tell me of a run in with the AST when he and two friends were in Alaska fishing, they were pulled over for what seemed like a small infraction. They had incorrect pass for their boat trailer and were treated like they were purposely breaking the law.

The three are retired law enforcement from the lower 48, one a retired LAPD commander, the second a retired FBI special agent and the third a retired Secret Service agent.
Posted By: Caribou Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/25/18
I wasnt sure who a 'refuge' would be patrolled by.

Your right about Chris Hatch kaboku68. He and I have been friends for years now, and he keeps his guys in line or he fires them. A True Public Servant and an upholder of law and reason. Hes cool off duty , too ....LOL!!
Ive skipped the others and went to Anchorage, 6th ave FBI. and hooked it up with them a while back.From the questions the agent asked, it struck me that they all ready know about their doings, other than what I provided.

The camera crews are agency hired and the guys that work with us and 'Last Alaskans' never give us cause to have LE come around, though the FnG Brownshirts (not Chris) will land a cub any and everywhere, and they often visit, no problems. Theres a new fella here in Unit 23, Im sure he will stop by.

The Feds have Helicopters, they can literally land anywhere, here or the ANWAR, I would hope that if those folks, being a bit elderly have an extraction plan? Im sure they do, for emergency's.

Seems normal that those folks stay in town and camp seasonally, Bob even had a plane of his own....I wonder when we will see them in their other homes?
Posted By: Mac284338 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/25/18
Thanks for the info. I spent two years at Ft.Rich and Wainwright in late 60's and thought about staying but came back to North Idaho. Anyway, appreciate your insights.
Heimo and Edna are out there most of the time. Seldens have a home out near Goldstream. Charlie bounces around more than most. I grew up with Chris and would trust him with my life. Heimo and Edna stay in Fairbanks with their other daughters. Charlie bounces around quite a bit. The Last Alaskan crew is closely tied to Joe Mattie and Alaska Raw Furs. You can see them with those caps in every narrated episode. The funny thing is I bet that their houses in Fairbanks are more rustic and ratchet than their trapline cabins.

I still stay in contact with my former students from Ambler and from Nulato where we were for 5 years on Facebook. It seems like its really rough in ABL right now. However Ambler goes through phases. I hope people who are reading this know this. A good Alaska State Trooper raised right and working right is about one of the best people on the whole planet. However, like everything else, there are some that do not follow the old ways. They are bitter and opportunistic and do the state a disservice. One of my good friends from high school died in the line of duty and I often wonder if it was because of the actions of many of the idiots that they purposely wash out by their two years of bush service. I grew up with Trooper Alexander and Trooper Jeff Hall that were both legends and could take out a whole bar without drawing a gun. I have heard some very shifty things about some of the troopers in rural outposts with a pile of issues in NWAB and in Copper River Basin. I know that many of the Troopers from Fairbanks and from Kenai Peninsula uphold the old ways and I respect them.

I am in pretty close contact with Mike Zibell and his son Wilifried. Wilifried is a Bush kid going through Harvard right now. I am sure that is an education for the many of the ivory towered elites.
Chip I hope you have a very merry Christmas. I would love some frozen uncooked caribou meat dipped in seal oil right now. I like it fresh and do not like it seasoned like a lot of folks do up there.

Best,
Thomas Kennedy
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/25/18
Interesting read ... Anyone know what caliber Charlie's rifle is??? I kind of thought it might be a .300WSM???? Nice to hear about and from the folks in this fine show.. Enjoyed it, keep it coming..
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/25/18
Back to the question of firearms.......

Caribou, why does your wife shoot a Moisin with open sights when there are so many seemingly better options?

I'm not anti-Moisin, I've got a 1917 Remington Armory and a Finnish M39, but they aren't rifles that I would want to depend on to feed myself or my family if there were other options.
Here's the thing on that. You want a super accurate gun and you want a system that nobody can come and "borrow" ammo. I ran a 788 with a 22-250 for most of the time I was out in ABL and a 300 Roy in Nulato so nobody would come to "borrow" ammo. I also ran Arctic Cat Bearcat snogos because nobody would "borrow" parts or try to steal it.
Posted By: rost495 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/25/18
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Funny how sometimes things that the guys do is ok, but if the gals do it, the same guys think its bad or such.

But then again I've been in the narrow thought mode once or twice in my life too.

What most folks forget is exactly how common it was for both to use snuff so many moons ago. Time flies and folks forget.

And maybe one day all the brown snuff bottles we have in storage will be worth something. LOL. That was the baptist side of the family to boot.
Posted By: rost495 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/25/18
LJ cool

Makes total sense.... or not...
Posted By: 79S Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/25/18
Not to turn this into a trooper debate, but we have some good troopers out here in the valley. I will say they are stretched thin out here.. we have a former Brn shirt from Tok out here in the valley now. He's a blue shirt now and I shot the bull with him at the local shooting range. He's a hand loader and we were talking about the 7-08. The Brn shirt in glennallen now is a local kid who grew up there and people there seem pretty happy about it. I heard one of the Brn shirts in delta jct was a local kid as well.. I met him seemed like a good guy. I have a lot of respect for the troopers, most of the time they are the only ones out there, and they know we are there backup/help if things go sideways. Especially when they showed up on the side of mount baldy to arrest Bradley renfros dad for getting into fist fight up in that mtn. That trooper was brought in on a 4 wheeler, by local fire department guy. He was all by himself no back up.
I heard a story about a Copper River trooper shooting an unarmed guy named Eric Hash and letting him bleed out. Family is traditional and although they are broken up haven't sought an indepth investigation of the incident. I don't more about it but it happened last Summer.
Posted By: Caribou Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/25/18
79s, 99 outta 100 Alaska State Troopers are just right for the job, but the Human Factor included, that 1 in a hundred crossing your path is [bleep].
Fact is, if they were more interested in the truth and Justice rather than image, we would see it at 100% very soon.

Lets hope so!!

Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Caribou, why does your wife shoot a Moisin with open sights when there are so many seemingly better options?

I'm not anti-Moisin, I've got a 1917 Remington Armory and a Finnish M39, but they aren't rifles that I would want to depend on to feed myself or my family if there were other options.

The M-39 is her preferred rifle.

We once had a collection of more than 120 various Mosins. I discovered the Finns M-28/30 when I was in high school in a bi-athlon class. Cant argue with an exceedinly accurate rifle, and Simo Hyha, thehighest scoring sniper ever did it with an open sighted Mosin M-28/30

The M-39, the successor to the M-28/30 in Finish Civil Guard use is ultra accurate and quality, consistent ammo in the form of Czeck LPS 'Silver tip' was available for 68$ per 800, so we bought 40 crates laugh

Shooting the same rifle with the same consistent ammo produces excellent results.

My wife is 5'1 and 125lbs. The 10 lbs of rifle is nothing for her to carry all day, the weight keeps the recoil off her as well. It travels well on a snowgo with its steel but plate and a bunji cord, has a positive safety that also locks the bolt closed.
The bolt is straight and easy to use with gloves on as is the trigger guard large.
Theres a cleaning rod to keep the chamber scrubbed and snow out of the muzzle.
The sling is side mounted for easier riding across the chest, so snow wont accumulate (it will anyways) too much and if you wreck your ride, you can wrap and roll with it, instead of break your back.
the firing pin can be adjusted to the deep cold, the wood covers the metals so our hands dont freeze or burn from the steel, the sights are awesome, the triggers tuned and when SAKO and Tikka made them with Valmet, who could make a greater rifle??

Remember,I was the Hunter in the family before I was made a felon. because she ahd to step up to pull the trigger, we had quite a learning curve and a pretty good time. Not much different than when I taught our sons how to hunt, all right.
my wife did follow her parents and did some hunting as a kid on her own, but shes one to tend kids , home and such work, and hunting wasnt her main occupation in our marriage.
I am the one with the skill sets needed for a living to be made. Her hardest time was tring to learn the lead on moving Caribou, because after the first shot, all Caribou are moving.

She has tried several types of rifle, and has a vast selection still, if shes wants to use something else.A Nat Match M1A has been a fun toy, and I tryed her out this spring, but wen back to the M-39 when I found one that shot as I liked.

When I gave the M1A a try, I do very well, ''Untill" I need to lead something moving. Man, that peep drives me nuts then....with more practice , I will master it, but for serious hunting, well, Thats where Im at with a rifle, the m-39, because I have leading 'Down'
[img]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/th_HeadshotHeartshotHeadshot.mp4[/img]
When I can get 3 for 3 as routinely as I can with my M-39, or a double tap to the head at 450 yards on a moving Bear, Ill consitter the rifle.

[img]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/th_BB11AgnesIandaBrownbear.mp4[/img]
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/25/18
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Interesting read ... Anyone know what caliber Charlie's rifle is??? I kind of thought it might be a .300WSM???? Nice to hear about and from the folks in this fine show.. Enjoyed it, keep it coming..

On the episode he shot the moose he had the shells on his belt, looked like a 30-06 to me.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/25/18
Chip, You’re the kind of man I’d be proud to have as a neighbor! You and your family exemplify the meaning of traditional values.

Merry Christmas and God bless you and your family.
I heard a story about a Copper River trooper shooting an unarmed guy and letting him bleed out. Family is traditional and although they are broken up haven't sought an indepth investigation of the incident. I don't more about it but it happened last Summer.

Just went read the story looks like that blue shirt trooper got his start up in your part of Alaska and was sent GA to do blue shirt duties.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/25/18
Heimo and Edna are out there most of the time. Seldens have a home out near Goldstream. Charlie bounces around more than most. I grew up with Chris and would trust him with my life. Heimo and Edna stay in Fairbanks with their other daughters. Charlie bounces around quite a bit. The Last Alaskan crew is closely tied to Joe Mattie and Alaska Raw Furs. You can see them with those caps in every narrated episode. The funny thing is I bet that their houses in Fairbanks are more rustic and ratchet than their trapline cabins.

I still stay in contact with my former students from Ambler and from Nulato where we were for 5 years on Facebook. It seems like its really rough in ABL right now. However Ambler goes through phases. I hope people who are reading this know this. A good Alaska State Trooper raised right and working right is about one of the best people on the whole planet. However, like everything else, there are some that do not follow the old ways. They are bitter and opportunistic and do the state a disservice. One of my good friends from high school died in the line of duty and I often wonder if it was because of the actions of many of the idiots that they purposely wash out by their two years of bush service. I grew up with Trooper Alexander and Trooper Jeff Hall that were both legends and could take out a whole bar without drawing a gun. I have heard some very shifty things about some of the troopers in rural outposts with a pile of issues in NWAB and in Copper River Basin. I know that many of the Troopers from Fairbanks and from Kenai Peninsula uphold the old ways and I respect them.

I am in pretty close contact with Mike Zibell and his son Wilifried. Wilifried is a Bush kid going through Harvard right now. I am sure that is an education for the many of the ivory towered elites.
Chip I hope you have a very merry Christmas. I would love some frozen uncooked caribou meat dipped in seal oil right now. I like it fresh and do not like it seasoned like a lot of folks do up there.

Best,
Thomas Kennedy

That, right there, is perhaps the biggest downfall of keeping weak or unvetted personnel in the ranks. Sadly, I don't think (m)any within the organization would acknowledge this. But it may ultimately doom them if they don't. I sometimes wonder if Sgt Johnson and Trooper Rich might have suffered the fate that befell them in part due to some of the bad (if deserved) press that shoddy members of the organization incurred. I never met the kid, but I met and talked to Arvin, the dad, a few times, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the chips he carried weren't from more than his personal interactions.

I also suspect that recruiting is not made less challenging by closing ranks rather than cleansing them from time to time - a bad apple and all. So they seem to be stuck seeking lower 48 and ex-military 'cowboys' far too often. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I'd lose much on a bet.
Merry Christmas Mark. Your boy, Sid, did very well in my Ancient World History class. I don't have everything graded but it looked like he was getting highest marks. He loves history so it isn't super hard for him. I hope I get him next semester. He was always proud to have his dad be a retired teacher. One of his classmates had a dad who worked as a principal and knew you from SW Alaska. I hope you get to take both your boys out camping and traveling this break.

Best,
Thomas Kennedy

That, right there, is perhaps the biggest downfall of keeping weak or unvetted personnel in the ranks. Sadly, I don't think (m)any within the organization would acknowledge this. But it may ultimately doom them if they don't. I sometimes wonder if Sgt Johnson and Trooper Rich might have suffered the fate that befell them in part due to some of the bad (if deserved) press that shoddy members of the organization incurred. I never met the kid, but I met and talked to Arvin, the dad, a few times, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the chips he carried weren't from more than his personal interactions.

I also suspect that recruiting is not made less challenging by closing ranks rather than cleansing them from time to time - a bad apple and all. So they seem to be stuck seeking lower 48 and ex-military 'cowboys' far too often. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I'd lose much on a bet.

I know of a couple as you call them ex miIitary cowboys. That joined the troopers, after couple yrs they quit, couldn't take good ol boy system. One became a U.S Marshall the other said he rather be a Palmer city cop instead.. very tellin* when one quits the troopers to become a Palmer city cop..
79S I don't know you but have a great Christmas as well. Hopefully you are having a great time out there. There is a lot of great people and great country out there.
79S I don't know you but have a great Christmas as well. Hopefully you are having a great time out there. There is a lot of great people and great country out there.

We might not know each other we know some of the same folks like Mike Cronk out in Tok., well I'm pretty sure you know him lol. I have a bag of duck carcasses I got too get too him for trapping.. Merry Christmas to you as well!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/25/18
79s, 99 outta 100 Alaska State Troopers are just right for the job, but the Human Factor included, that 1 in a hundred crossing your path is [bleep].
Fact is, if they were more interested in the truth and Justice rather than image, we would see it at 100% very soon.

Lets hope so!!

Originally Posted by 260Remguy

The M-39 is her preferred rifle.

We once had a collection of more than 120 various Mosins. I discovered the Finns M-28/30 when I was in high school in a bi-athlon class. Cant argue with an exceedinly accurate rifle, and Simo Hyha, thehighest scoring sniper ever did it with an open sighted Mosin M-28/30

The M-39, the successor to the M-28/30 in Finish Civil Guard use is ultra accurate and quality, consistent ammo in the form of Czeck LPS 'Silver tip' was available for 68$ per 800, so we bought 40 crates laugh

Shooting the same rifle with the same consistent ammo produces excellent results.

My wife is 5'1 and 125lbs. The 10 lbs of rifle is nothing for her to carry all day, the weight keeps the recoil off her as well. It travels well on a snowgo with its steel but plate and a bunji cord, has a positive safety that also locks the bolt closed.
The bolt is straight and easy to use with gloves on as is the trigger guard large.
Theres a cleaning rod to keep the chamber scrubbed and snow out of the muzzle.
The sling is side mounted for easier riding across the chest, so snow wont accumulate (it will anyways) too much and if you wreck your ride, you can wrap and roll with it, instead of break your back.
the firing pin can be adjusted to the deep cold, the wood covers the metals so our hands dont freeze or burn from the steel, the sights are awesome, the triggers tuned and when SAKO and Tikka made them with Valmet, who could make a greater rifle??

Remember,I was the Hunter in the family before I was made a felon. because she ahd to step up to pull the trigger, we had quite a learning curve and a pretty good time. Not much different than when I taught our sons how to hunt, all right.
my wife did follow her parents and did some hunting as a kid on her own, but shes one to tend kids , home and such work, and hunting wasnt her main occupation in our marriage.
I am the one with the skill sets needed for a living to be made. Her hardest time was tring to learn the lead on moving Caribou, because after the first shot, all Caribou are moving.

She has tried several types of rifle, and has a vast selection still, if shes wants to use something else.A Nat Match M1A has been a fun toy, and I tryed her out this spring, but wen back to the M-39 when I found one that shot as I liked.

When I gave the M1A a try, I do very well, ''Untill" I need to lead something moving. Man, that peep drives me nuts then....with more practice , I will master it, but for serious hunting, well, Thats where Im at with a rifle, the m-39, because I have leading 'Down'
[img]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/th_HeadshotHeartshotHeadshot.mp4[/img]
When I can get 3 for 3 as routinely as I can with my M-39, or a double tap to the head at 450 yards on a moving Bear, Ill consitter the rifle.

[img]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/th_BB11AgnesIandaBrownbear.mp4[/img]

Thanks for the answer. A rugged rifle is a good choice in an inhospitable environment.

My M39 is a Sako, made in 1944 for the Civil Guard and marked SK.Y.

My 1917 Remington Armory is one of the rifles made for Imperial Russia. When they defaulted on the purchase, the U.S. Army bought some to be used as basic training rifles and mine has the U.S. Army Ordinance Cartouche "RAW".on the right side of the stock and a flaming bomb cartouche on the bottom of the stock just forward of the magazine.

Too bad they can't tell us their histories.
Posted By: MM879 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/25/18
I studied the M39 for a long time. The simplicity of the design and the cartridge ballistics seemed like a good choice. I finally ended up buying a 98 Mauser custom. My 98 was converted to a 30-06 sporter by a gunsmith named Flaig. The rifle was one of those that was advertised in the National Rifleman for $59.00 during the 50's

I have update the Mauser at great cost to a modern custom rifle. The Flaig conversion was a 30-06 barrel, side mount peep sight and custom stock. I updated the gun with a scope mount, scope safety and timmey trigger set. I pillar bedded the stock and re-blued the metal.

Each step in the sporter process I realized that I was stepping away from the original Mauser design with costs and benefits. I keep coming back to the understanding of the simple inline design of the M39 was the reason it worked so well. Adding the scope mount to the M98 required drilling the receiver to add the Leopold one piece mount. Drilling through crest on the receiver was hard and it also hurt the value of the gun. I was lucky and the mount went on ok. The final design is a mount that relies on three 6-32 at a 90 degree angle to forces, the opposite to the original Mauser design. All of the other sporter modifications had a similar flaw in the design, The timmey trigger set hung on two screws at 90 degree. The stock hung on two screws at 90 degree. All of the military mounting of the full length wood was lost.
Posted By: rost495 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/26/18
Merry Christmas to all!

Chip, I've found that half a blade of lead on moving targets with the M1A wide blade is often more than enough at about 300 yards or so. Obviously that depends on a lot, but I prefer when using irons to figure out how much of the blade, IE it might the the full left or right side and go from there, once have that in my head I can just continue to trophy trigger the gun like it was a rattle battle match.
Posted By: p3t3rsn Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/26/18

On the episode he shot the moose he had the shells on his belt, looked like a 30-06 to me.

I too was wondering about Charlie’s caliber - like AKPENDUDE mentioned, I think it’s a .30-06. Based on the moose episode and the latest episode where Charlie shot the bear. When he was reloading the cartridges looked a lot like .30-06. Gotta think in such a light gun it would kick some.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/26/18
Just keeping caught up!!!
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/27/18
Anyone have an idea where to stream the show from? Hulu has only season 1 on it.
Posted By: Caribou Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/27/18
Originally Posted by rost495
Merry Christmas to all!

Chip, I've found that half a blade of lead on moving targets with the M1A wide blade is often more than enough at about 300 yards or so. Obviously that depends on a lot, but I prefer when using irons to figure out how much of the blade, IE it might the the full left or right side and go from there, once have that in my head I can just continue to trophy trigger the gun like it was a rattle battle match.

While camped this summer, I was chucking chunks of wood into the river and bangin' away, until I wouldn't see 'em anymore,
Ive been using the Marine Corp M-14 Rifle manual, a 1/2 sheet of plywood painted white out to 800 yards, and 10 inch gongs set up about 100 yards apart .1.000 yards next summer, with some more targets and a better place for such a distance (willows get in the way after 800 yards)
Getting on paper isnt hard at all, nor is bangin' the gongs out there. PMC 'Bronze' 150 grain 7.62x51 at about 40 rounds a day.

Lots of practice.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think a 30-06 is about ''all around' when it comes to Alaska. None of those folks on Last Alaskans are undergunned.
I bet Heimo got a great education in 'use enough gun' his younger days on St.Lawernce Island learning to hunt the ocean as the Siberian Yup'ik Eskimo family of Edna's did.
Posted By: Remsen Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/27/18
Chip's making me rethink my plan to sell my M1A...
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/27/18
Originally Posted by rost495
Merry Christmas to all!

While camped this summer, I was chucking chunks of wood into the river and bangin' away, until I wouldn't see 'em anymore,
Ive been using the Marine Corp M-14 Rifle manual, a 1/2 sheet of plywood painted white out to 800 yards, and 10 inch gongs set up about 100 yards apart .1.000 yards next summer, with some more targets and a better place for such a distance (willows get in the way after 800 yards)
Getting on paper isnt hard at all, nor is bangin' the gongs out there. PMC 'Bronze' 150 grain 7.62x51 at about 40 rounds a day.

Lots of practice.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think a 30-06 is about ''all around' when it comes to Alaska. None of those folks on Last Alaskans are undergunned.
I bet Heimo got a great education in 'use enough gun' his younger days on St.Lawernce Island learning to hunt the ocean as the Siberian Yup'ik Eskimo family of Edna's did.

I wouldn't think that an AK, SKS, or any other firearm chambered in 7.62x39 would be very useful where the country is open and the ranges over 100+/- yards.
Posted By: Mtngroan Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/27/18
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Anyone have an idea where to stream the show from? Hulu has only season 1 on it.

Discovery Channel has them all>
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/27/18

Much respect for the life-style...way too tough for me.
Posted By: Caribou Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/27/18
''I wouldn't think that an AK, SKS, or any other firearm chambered in 7.62x39 would be very useful where the country is open and the ranges over 100+/- yards.''
(quote thingy wont work)

The SKS's are the girls, my 13 year old and my 16 year old.Carol is in the picture trying my M-39, and she was doing quite well, getting a heavy rifle like that out past 300 yrds. She has an M-39of her own, but it is hard to put down a much trusted and accurate rifle that she has with her SKS..........Im fairly sure she like the idea of 'More guns' ........LOL!!.

Being on the smaller size of gals,(5' even and 5'3") her and the youngest, Qutan, both fit and handled the SKS's size and recoil, while my middle daughter Mary used her Brno CZ527 in 7.62x39 for many years as well.
Now that they are getting grown, they are better able to properly use the larger, full power cartridges, and both have a Mosin and all the ammo they want to pound away with.
The two oldest daughter had .223s when they were growing up, the boys too.

Range with the 7.62x39 is the limiting factor. The rifles are accurate enough. We teach them to get close with game, only use a gun they can make a killing with, and if the 7.62x39 is treated like a .30-30, and its limitations, then all is well. They know when Not to shoot as well.

The AK is a 5.56 I put together, An AK-47 flat, AKMS under folding stock/under folding stock trunion,, Ak47 bolt carrier, Bulgarian .223 bolt (spring loaded firing pin, short stem), a 23mm Bulgarian trunion, a Bulgarian barrel I turned to 18.5mm and fitted AK-74 from the rear sight base forward.
Mags are the Chinese 5.56 steel 30 and 40 rounders I ended up with a ton of, so I put em to use
I put German G3 front and rear sights and a flash hider, wooden furniture and a tapco trigger group, and enough USA made stuff for legality's sake.
Still, its not bad out to 400 yards with 55grn stuff, probably further if I really tried.

Posted By: Hudge Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/27/18
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

If you are talking about the Last Alaskans, Hulu Live, or if you have DirecTV you can stream it from your device. Other than that, I am stuck in the same boat being away form home at the moment.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/27/18
''I wouldn't think that an AK, SKS, or any other firearm chambered in 7.62x39 would be very useful where the country is open and the ranges over 100+/- yards.''
(quote thingy wont work)

The SKS's are the girls, my 13 year old and my 16 year old.Carol is in the picture trying my M-39, and she was doing quite well, getting a heavy rifle like that out past 300 yrds. She has an M-39of her own, but it is hard to put down a much trusted and accurate rifle that she has with her SKS..........Im fairly sure she like the idea of 'More guns' ........LOL!!.

Being on the smaller size of gals,(5' even and 5'3") her and the youngest, Qutan, both fit and handled the SKS's size and recoil, while my middle daughter Mary used her Brno CZ527 in 7.62x39 for many years as well.
Now that they are getting grown, they are better able to properly use the larger, full power cartridges, and both have a Mosin and all the ammo they want to pound away with.
The two oldest daughter had .223s when they were growing up, the boys too.

Range with the 7.62x39 is the limiting factor. The rifles are accurate enough. We teach them to get close with game, only use a gun they can make a killing with, and if the 7.62x39 is treated like a .30-30, and its limitations, then all is well. They know when Not to shoot as well.

The AK is a 5.56 I put together, An AK-47 flat, AKMS under folding stock/under folding stock trunion,, Ak47 bolt carrier, Bulgarian .223 bolt (spring loaded firing pin, short stem), a 23mm Bulgarian trunion, a Bulgarian barrel I turned to 18.5mm and fitted AK-74 from the rear sight base forward.
Mags are the Chinese 5.56 steel 30 and 40 rounders I ended up with a ton of, so I put em to use
I put German G3 front and rear sights and a flash hider, wooden furniture and a tapco trigger group, and enough USA made stuff for legality's sake.
Still, its not bad out to 400 yards with 55grn stuff, probably further if I really tried.

From what I've read, the folks who have Ruger American Ranch rifles in 7.62x39 are getting excellent accuracy from them. I bought my Wife one of the Davidson's non-cataloged stainless 77 MK2 in 7.62x39 back in the 1990's, but it isn't the most accurate rifles I've owned, perhaps due to the long tapered throat that eases .311" bullets into .308" bores.

Lyman used to, maybe still does, make a receiver sight for the SKS that mounts on the left side of the frame, not on the receiver cover like the 57C, and, at least for me, allows for a longer sight radius and a little more precision, or at least as much precision as a NORINCO SKS is likely to produce. Back in the early 1990's I thought that the flood of new $90 Chinese SKSs would become the most common barn/ranch/truck gun in the U.S., but they didn't.

I'm not much of an AK guy, probably due to the fact that during my 7 years in the Army, almost everyone with an AK was the enemy.
Posted By: Razorhog Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/28/18

Caribou-

Great read on the Mosin. Thanks for taking the time to inform from a real user!

Regards,
Razorhog
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/28/18
I disagree that the 7.62x39 is inaccurate. The rifle may be inaccurate, but not the cartridge.
Below are 5 groups shot in competition with a 7.62x39 improved.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Of course we shoot them with a 308 barrel and 308 bullets.
Posted By: 1bigdude Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/28/18
IMHO these Alaskan reality tv shows are as fake as plastic tits. I'm not trying to suggest the people themselves are fake but they are not truthfully represented on the shows. If you live in town 8-9 months a year then haul on out to your remote cabin an try to present yourself as one of the last "sourdoughs life style Alaskan" that lives off the grid that is not truthfull. Not much different than someone in the lower 48 with a remote shack they spend the fall months in...i.e. I live in a nice home in the suburbs on a nice retired school administers retirement from spring until September then I open camp and spend Sept. thru March living there without electricity, running water,etc. 80% of what I eat was game taken in the fall smoked an hung in the shed. Does that make me a " Last Pennsylvanian" ? No it makes me a retired school administrator that likes solitude an does not mind roughing it a bit.
Posted By: Caribou Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/28/18

If you lived in an Alaskan Village and went 'camping' for those 6 months, you would be a fairly normal 'Bush'.
Having gatherd 80% of what you eat, would make you sort of 'average', though that cant be done in one season if you support as family.
Alot of people in bush Ak have houses and camp here and there , hunting/fishing/gathering, depending on their transportation, what they want to get as food and where that food is relative to them.
A lot of people in villages dont have to camp out anymore due to the high rate of speed a boat or snowmachine, most can sleep at home. Some of us just make it a full time 'job', and since we live in the middle of a very large Caribou migration route, its easy to choose and still succeed, stay in the village or got out and have a good time.
Aswell, the folks on the show were doing this before there was a show , except Heimo and Edna on Nat Geos 'Braving AK', and that was them living there full time.

What would be fake would be saying they lived out there full time or such, when they dont.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/28/18
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
IMHO these Alaskan reality tv shows are as fake as plastic tits. I'm not trying to suggest the people themselves are fake but they are not truthfully represented on the shows. If you live in town 8-9 months a year then haul on out to your remote cabin an try to present yourself as one of the last "sourdoughs life style Alaskan" that lives off the grid that is not truthfull. Not much different than someone in the lower 48 with a remote shack they spend the fall months in...i.e. I live in a nice home in the suburbs on a nice retired school administers retirement from spring until September then I open camp and spend Sept. thru March living there without electricity, running water,etc. 80% of what I eat was game taken in the fall smoked an hung in the shed. Does that make me a " Last Pennsylvanian" ? No it makes me a retired school administrator that likes solitude an does not mind roughing it a bit.

Some are fake. The Alaska Bush People would die pretty quick in the real world. The Seldens live in the Goldstream Valley in a dry cabin off of the grid and they don't go into town except about once every other week to the farmer's market. What the shows don't really show you is how expensive a charter is. Some are made into characters. Marty Meirotto from Mountain Men is a freaking beast and a half in real life and they show him to be weak and tentative. People freeze to death in Fairbanks all of the time. One guy died at his house on Chena Ridge that was off grid and dry and nobody figured it out for over two years. Gary Green on the Edge of Alaska is real but the rest of the dialogue and elements of that show were as fake as you could get.
Posted By: MM879 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/28/18
I see a lot of reality. Catching a fish, shooting a Caribou at long distance, -20F weather, A chainsaw that is so stiff that it can't be pulled. These are all things that can't be faked. One thing I always thought about is how do they stay warm in those log cabins at -40F. I own a log cabin and it isn't easy to keep going and I am only trying at 30F to 20F.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/29/18
Sounds like jealousy and sour grapes to me...
Posted By: 1bigdude Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/29/18
Wyo: if your comment was directed at me sir I have nothing to be petty over. I travel throughout NA wherever and whenever I wish including Alaska as much as I wish. For many years I spent each fall west of the Alaska Range on my own. I choose to live in Pa. in a nice subdivision but migrate to what few would call a cabin in north central Pa. on property I own for the fall and winter...no electric other than a gas generator I seldom use, no running water other than a spring house and wood heat. I am currently at my home in the subdivision for the holidays with my children.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/29/18
"retired school administers retirement"

School administration? You got a lot to answer for Jackass, thanks for the idiocracy.
Posted By: pete53 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/29/18
well I have lived in the country in northern Minnesota all my life,don`t care for town much . I have did bull work all my live and my body shows it now .work outside all my life as a lineman climbing electric poles we had no bucket trucks at first I learned the hard way and enjoyed working outside all my life even at 30 below zero. now as far as The Last Alaskan show I really enjoy watching this show and at my age of 65 i wished i would have lived,worked and done what these great people on this show have done over the years. so until you have walked in their shoes you have no ideal how ruff and tuff these people have been thru their lives ,i understand raising a family for food,shoes or whatever its not easy when you worked and live outside a community. remember this these people use guns as a tool to survive not to show off to a friend or go shoot for fun, big deal they go to town for a few months to get some money by working to survive out in wild country ,they are still doing things the best they can in the wild country there home of homes .I salute their way of life ! its not a easy life in weather conditions like a desk job is or was with a retired packaged !
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/29/18
Originally Posted by pete53
well I have lived in the country in northern Minnesota all my life,don`t care for town much . I have did bull work all my live and my body shows it now .work outside all my life as a lineman climbing electric poles we had no bucket trucks at first I learned the hard way and enjoyed working outside all my life even at 30 below zero. now as far as The Last Alaskan show I really enjoy watching this show and at my age of 65 i wished i would have lived,worked and done what these great people on this show have done over the years. so until you have walked in their shoes you have no ideal how ruff and tuff these people have been thru their lives ,i understand raising a family for food,shoes or whatever its not easy when you worked and live outside a community. remember this these people use guns as a tool to survive not to show off to a friend or go shoot for fun, big deal they go to town for a few months to get some money by working to survive out in wild country ,they are still doing things the best they can in the wild country there home of homes .I salute their way of life ! its not a easy life in weather conditions like a desk job is or was with a retired packaged !

I agree Pete
Posted By: E77 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/30/18
Originally Posted by 5thShock
"retired school administers retirement"

School administration? You got a lot to answer for Jackass, thanks for the idiocracy.

You got that right 5thShock
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 01/02/19
Anybody catch the make and caliber of the under/over combination his dad left in the cashe?

Didn’t look like a Savage 24. Mill cuts look wrong
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: The Last Alaskan's - 01/02/19
257 It was a .222/20ga I am not sure of the model number.. They were quite popular when I was a kid..
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 01/02/19
Wy coyote. Thanks. It may have been an early one maybe.
Posted By: MM879 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 01/02/19
My father bought us boys a 22mag/20ga Savage to share. We were a family of nine. The gun got a lot of use. We hunted year round on a dairy farm.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: The Last Alaskan's - 01/02/19
257 It was a .222/20ga I am not sure of the model number.. They were quite popular when I was a kid..

I replayed that 10 times ...and .222/20 was what i came up with ..the brass in the carma shots had me thinking ..bigger.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 01/02/19
Savage model 24
There were a lot of variations
Posted By: atvalaska Re: The Last Alaskan's - 01/03/19
Every one I had ...the barrels never lined up ...if I shot the .22 thru the sites from a rest ...then the center of the ..birdshot should pattern around the .22 bullet hole...never ...a foot lower it would hit ...hell on wing shooting...
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/29/22
I had not known about this series. Just found it on Amazon. Pretty sure this will be a binge watch.
Posted By: 458Win Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/29/22
Bob was a very sincere and earnest guy. He was a real old breed trapper with a great skill set just not good at landing airplanes.

Now that is quite an understatement
Posted By: hikerbum Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/29/22
One of the better real life series out there. I really liked the show. Wished there were new episodes
Posted By: Teeder Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by hikerbum
One of the better real life series out there. I really liked the show. Wished there were new episodes

+1!
Posted By: Mik123 Re: The Last Alaskan's - 12/30/22
Are they making any new episodes? It was one of the only shows where there wasn't much (if any) manufactured reality tv drama.
© 24hourcampfire