Home
Pretty pathetic and sure gives hunting a black eye and the HUmane Society is all in on making use of it. The sentences for this were actually fairly severe.

White trash got what they deserved.. every none hunter will have the image of those two tards of what hunters look like.. thanks you two ph uck tards..
Originally Posted by 79S
White trash got what they deserved.. every none hunter will have the image of those two tards of what hunters look like.. thanks you two ph uck tards..

It almost looks like a total caricature, but is obviously real. WasillaBillys...
What was the punishment?
SKIP TO CONTENTSKIP TO SITE INDEX

SUBSCRIBE NOWLOG IN
U.S.
|
Alaska Hunter Who Killed Cubs in Bear Den Gets 3 Months in Jail

Alaska Hunter Who Killed Cubs in Bear Den Gets 3 Months in Jail
A female bear, part of the Prince William Sound black bear study in Alaska, emerged from her den with a cub in April 2018. Another female bear in the study was killed, along with her cubs, by a father-and-son hunting pair.
Credit
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service/A.D.F.G. Prince William Sound Black Bear Study.

A female bear, part of the Prince William Sound black bear study in Alaska, emerged from her den with a cub in April 2018. Another female bear in the study was killed, along with her cubs, by a father-and-son hunting pair.CreditCreditU.S. Fish and Wildlife Service/A.D.F.G. Prince William Sound Black Bear Study.
By Julia Jacobs
Jan. 26, 2019

When a father-and-son hunting pair from Alaska poached a black bear mother and her two newborn cubs in their den last year, they initially seemed to get away with it.

There was little chance for witnesses on a remote island off Alaska’s southern coast. The hunters traveled there by boat, strapping on backcountry skis to reach the bear den. But a motion-activated camera, being used for wildlife research, captured the hunters’ actions on the island, the authorities said.

This week, after pleading guilty to various poaching charges, the father, Andrew Renner, a 41-year-old from Wasilla, Alaska, was sentenced to three months in jail and barred from hunting for a decade, said Aaron Peterson, the state’s assistant attorney general, who prosecuted the case. His son Owen Renner, 18, received a 30-day suspended sentence and was required to perform community service.

Based on state law, killing a mother bear or bear cubs is a crime. But Mr. Peterson said that defendants in poaching cases rarely get jail time. That’s because hunters often argue that they poached an animal by mistake and typically have no criminal record, he said.
ADVERTISEMENT
In the case of the Renners, however, Mr. Peterson said in a phone interview, he felt the crime was so egregious that he asked for jail time.

“What they did in this case was shoot two newborn bear cubs who couldn’t escape,” he said. “They had no way of getting out of that den. They were completely at the mercy of the Renners.”

You have 2 free articles remaining.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE TIMES
Based on the camera footage, which was summarized by prosecutors in a news release, Andrew Renner and his son approached the den on Esther Island, in Prince William Sound, on April 14. Owen Renner fatally shot the sleeping mother bear with a rifle, prosecutors said, causing the cubs to start shrieking inside the den.

Andrew Renner then fatally shot the cubs.

Prosecutors said the recovered video footage showed the Renners butchering the mother bear and taking the remains away in bags. Two days later, the camera caught them returning to the area to collect the bullet shells and dispose of the bear cubs’ bodies, according to a report from Alaska’s Department of Public Safety.

Andrew Renner’s lawyer declined to comment. His son’s lawyer did not respond to a request for comment.
ADVERTISEMENT

Because the mother bear was being studied by the United States Forest Service and the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, she wore a GPS-enabled collar. About two weeks after the Renners shot the bear family, Andrew Renner took that collar and the mother bear’s skin to an Alaska Department of Fish and Game site, claiming that he had mistakenly shot her and did not realize she was a mother until he noticed she had teats, the Department of Public Safety report said. He also claimed that there were no cubs in the den.

It was not until August that the Renners were charged with poaching, according to the report.

Charlotte Westing, a biologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game who runs the black bear study, said the cameras were installed to keep researchers apprised of whether the bears have cubs.

According to a report on the black bear study published this month, the researchers have placed collars on about four dozen black bears on two islands in Prince William Sound. The collar logs geographical positioning every five hours, providing a detailed map of the area that the bears traverse.

By chance, a camera captured a crime that is often not brought to light because the forest provides cover. “What happens in the woods is often just between the person and their actions,” Ms. Westing said.

The Alaska Department of Fish and Game allows hunting of bears and bear cubs that are hibernating in their dens on limited state and federal lands where it is deemed a “customary and traditional practice.” That tactic has been long opposed by many conservationists and animal rights activists.

Both the father and the son pleaded guilty to several misdemeanor charges related to the poaching, Mr. Peterson said. Andrew Renner also pleaded guilty to falsifying documentation related to the bear killings.

In addition to setting the three-month jail sentence, an Alaska District Court judge fined Andrew Renner $9,000 and ordered that he must forfeit his boat, pickup truck, guns, iPhones and skis, prosecutors said. Owen Renner’s hunting license will be suspended for two years.
Follow Julia Jacobs on Twitter: @juliarebeccaj.

A version of this article appears in print on Jan. 26, 2019, on Page A19 of the New York edition with the headline: Hunter Sentenced in Killing of Mother Bear and Cubs. Order Reprints
The son was a month shy of 18 and the father was originally charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor. The boat and truck were easily over 100k.
The outrage!!!!!!

I wish this was in the top 10 of serious issues in this state.
Originally Posted by 79S

Right. That’s a HSUS video.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 79S

Yup, the folks that took a whole bunch of money from Yellowtail Wine, but the money was "only for use in funding animal shelters," you know, the ones where they kill the animals in the alley because it is better to kill an animal than let it be subservient to people...
These two guys single handily turn the world against hunting. We were doing so well up until this point.
Originally Posted by 79S

Just checked CourtView and it looks like the father is in jail now and the son is still waiting for sentencing...
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by 79S

Just checked CourtView and it looks like the father is in jail now and the son is still waiting for sentencing...

Riveting. Thanks for the update.
Originally Posted by 79S

Yup, the folks that took a whole bunch of money from Yellowtail Wine, but the money was "only for use in funding animal shelters," you know, the ones where they kill the animals in the alley because it is better to kill an animal than let it be subservient to people...

We beat HSUS at the polls when they attempted to run wildlife policy via ballot box biology.
Originally Posted by 79S

We beat HSUS at the polls when they attempted to run wildlife policy via ballot box biology.

The only thing you two beat, is each other.
I see this video made FoxNews today also.
I see this video made FoxNews today also.

I wonder if he gets Fox in his cell...
The worst part is them celebrating like they are these big bad hunters, pretty sickening IMO.
sick f*cks
Almost confused the guys in the video for Sitka deer and ironbender but then I remembered those two ass clowns don’t leave their computers...
Originally Posted by WDH
Almost confused the guys in the video for Sitka deer and ironbender but then I remembered those two ass clowns don’t leave their computers...

So much anger for a fella from Wyoming..
What a shame 79. There are good folks in Wyoming.
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by WDH

Funny, I remember IB posting pictures of dead stuff, even spent time hunting Kodiak bears with him. The ass from Wyoming on my ignore list has posted exactly nothing of value ever... well I have had it on ignore for a very long time and only when someone quotes the idiot do I see anything it says... but I am guessing it has exactly nothing of value to offer.
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by WDH

Funny, I remember IB posting pictures of dead stuff, even spent time hunting Kodiak bears with him. The ass from Wyoming on my ignore list has posted exactly nothing of value ever... well I have had it on ignore for a very long time and only when someone quotes the idiot do I see anything it says... but I am guessing it has exactly nothing of value to offer.

Better than the 38,000 posts of BS from you.... or the 60,000 from ironbender. Holy Fock you guys need a life!
WDH

Wadda
Dick
Head
😆
WDH

Wadda
Dick
Head
😆

You and Sitka deer are snowflakes.
By that, you mean cool.
Originally Posted by WDH
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by WDH

Better than the 38,000 posts of BS from you.... or the 60,000 from ironbender. Holy Fock you guys need a life!

I can't get out, unlike you I was not blessed with long flowing blonde locks of hair, chiseled body like Arnold.. I'm confined to my couch on oxygen eating twinkies watching the today show..
By that, you mean cool.

Hey, Old Man. Being a Snowflake doesn’t mean what you think it does anymore. I’m sure in your old man circle it’s cool to smoke pole, but now days it’s means you are a liberal douche bag. Probably rocking a man bun, smoking a vape.
Ha Ha. So we've met?
Ha Ha. So we've met?

Thinking you probably had to clean "it" off your Wellingtons.
Thank gawd for beeswax! wink
Laughing!
Ha Ha. So we've met?

God no. I couldn’t imagine the kind of life mistakes and failure that I would have to make in order to wind up anywhere you would be.
The boot up your ass would have left an impression. smile
Don't forget the beeswax......
Yup. Just done them the other day.
© 24hourcampfire