Home
Posted By: rost495 You poor souls.... - 03/29/19
Have a bit of welding to do in the morning, and a lot of sorting and last minute packing truck, camper and airboat.

But baring anything unforeseen wife and I will be on the slow road north by 7pm Friday night. Not going to rush, will have to see how the roads are and how we are doing and maybe even skirt bad weather in spots if possible and we know about it.

For those inclined, say a prayer. I"m convinced the truck is sound. I'm convinced the boat trailer is sound, all new tires on both, plus 2 spares for each, well maybe one for the boat and a loose tire, depends on what I find on the bay boat trailer if I remember to look in the morning. New bearings, new brakes, etc...

Thinking could easily take us 7-9 days drive, but will see how the driving goes, and if we can roll at 60 or have to go slower, etc... and how much energy we have. Have fought the boat motor for weeks now and it has won again and again, but its together in shape to ride, but I see a LOT of work and the need of a top notch machine shop to work on new aluminum heads that are not what they were supposed to be etc... but in the end the boat will have a bit of power and be in super shape.

Jeff
Posted By: ironbender Re: You poor souls.... - 03/29/19
Good luck Jeff and Mrs.

Enjoy the ride!
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: You poor souls.... - 03/29/19
Take your time, schits still frozen here! Have a safe drive!
Posted By: las Re: You poor souls.... - 03/29/19
Keep Alaska green. Bring money! smile
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: You poor souls.... - 03/29/19
Don't rush it; enjoy the ride.
Posted By: kellory Re: You poor souls.... - 03/29/19
Bon voyage.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: You poor souls.... - 03/29/19
Originally Posted by rost495

For those inclined, say a prayer. ..

Jeff

I am in it for you Jeff!! Be careful taking such good stuff up to Alaska, you will draw attention and they will think you are just a tourist!
I remember I went to great pains to buy a nice Stihl chain saw before I left the lower for AK, then a month later I saw the same saw, same price at the Ace in Kodiak! But you are mentally and gear prepared and I know you have prayed about it yourself!
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: You poor souls.... - 03/29/19
Jeff, I'm jealous! Wish we never left.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: You poor souls.... - 03/29/19
Sounds awesome. Stay safe and have a blast.
Posted By: VernAK Re: You poor souls.... - 03/29/19
Be Safe!

You should be ahead of the hoards......mercy!

Gas in Whitehorse just hit $1.35/Litre CAD$.

Fuel up in Haines Jct and Tok. Tok is cheaper than Delta.

A toll gate is being installed by Northway to tax incoming but I think you'll squeak through before opening. smile
Posted By: ironbender Re: You poor souls.... - 03/29/19
Last time through, I found quite a few places without cardlock pumps. Not a bad idea to fuel up before places close and when at half tank. Especially if you drive all night like I often did.
Do you have a aux tank or a jug of two?
Posted By: atvalaska Re: You poor souls.... - 03/29/19
Pack the chit out of them trailer wheel bearings !!......my 2bucks worth...
Posted By: Clydesdale Re: You poor souls.... - 03/29/19
Steer clear of Fairbanks. Terrible place. Unless you are a liberal douche.
Posted By: las Re: You poor souls.... - 03/29/19
Pack a fishing rod and fish Smith River Falls. I'm dying to find out how it is. Dunno if we will be driving out this year or not.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lvmiker Re: You poor souls.... - 03/29/19
Congratulations on making it happen, change is good. Good luck and enjoy the trip.

mike r
Posted By: rost495 Re: You poor souls.... - 04/02/19
Wheel bearings packed. And reloaded every am. Butte Montana now. So far so good
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: You poor souls.... - 04/05/19
Just saw this. I hope your good luck continues.

Gonna have to change your 'fire location though...
Posted By: rost495 Re: You poor souls.... - 04/06/19
Big climbs ahead and snow and ice so thursday 1pm we holed up in fort nelson. Were going today per weatger forecast but that now may hold us till sunday. Just to be safe and not sorry with our load. 23 and snowin it was 11 friday morning and same. Actually hit 25 and roads were better late in the day but not enough time to get tgrough. At least by us. Have great ak neighbors parked behind us w motor homeand defer to their travel thoughts
Posted By: VernAK Re: You poor souls.... - 04/06/19
As you leave Fort Nelson, you are about to experience my preferred part of the Alcan. The downhill at Summit will get your attention but watch for stone sheep licking road salt.
Toad River area usually has elk and deer galore and bison herds start as you leave Muncho.

Take your time as weather is improving at this end.
Posted By: las Re: You poor souls.... - 04/06/19
Originally Posted by VernAK
As you leave Fort Nelson, you are about to experience my preferred part of the Alcan. The downhill at Summit will get your attention but watch for stone sheep licking road salt.
Toad River area usually has elk and deer galore and bison herds start as you leave Muncho.

Take your time as weather is improving at this end.

And caribou. We missed a big bull by maybe 5 inches..... Just standing there, and we didn't see him in time to even swerve.

Smith River Falls would be a great place to overnight if timing is right. Big enough parking lot to turn most anything around. Barely.

22 degrees here yesterday morning. Haven't checked temp today, but light snow coming down. Snow is about gone.
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: You poor souls.... - 04/06/19
Don't forget to stop and soak in the Laird hot springs. That'll feel good after being on the road for a while.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: You poor souls.... - 04/06/19
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Don't forget to stop and soak in the Laird hot springs. That'll feel good after being on the road for a while.

Great place to stop! Best part to me was listening to the Loons.
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: You poor souls.... - 04/06/19
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Great place to stop! Best part to me was listening to the Loons.

Yup, those Canadians can talk! laugh
Posted By: rost495 Re: You poor souls.... - 04/06/19
Lol. Running short on time for carolyns flight home so no soaking planned.

Sure hope she gets a few pictures but that we make no animap contact.

Sunday looks like for sure weather. Hope to roll in the morning
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: You poor souls.... - 04/07/19

Very minor point, it is Liard Hot Springs.

A black bear there one fall waited for someone to parboil perfectly before nibbling...
Posted By: ironbender Re: You poor souls.... - 04/07/19
Stay safe jeff and carolyn.

You're being smart and thinking like an Alaskan! wink
Posted By: VernAK Re: You poor souls.... - 04/07/19
Enjoy a cinnamon roll at Johnson's Crossing......it'll hold you until Anchorage.
Posted By: WDH Re: You poor souls.... - 04/07/19
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

A black bear there one fall waited for someone to parboil perfectly before nibbling...

Very big point, you’re an assclown
Posted By: rost495 Re: You poor souls.... - 04/09/19
Made it safe at 330 pm yesterday. Had a libation. Supper and slept like a log.
Have to maybe unload some today but have to head to Fairbanks by 5-6 or so for Carolyn’s flight home
We appreciate y’alls mental support! Next find the correct rims for the studded tires by fall. Lol. At least I didn’t get upset when they would not fot
Posted By: ironbender Re: You poor souls.... - 04/09/19
GFY!

Good for y’all!
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: You poor souls.... - 04/10/19
Welcome back (permanently) to Alaska Jeff!
Posted By: rost495 Re: You poor souls.... - 04/10/19
Thanks! Taking time to recover now.

Hopefully its permanent, but out of the blue my 84 year old mother has become an issue, not medically, but we hope she will calm down. How long are they your mothers and think they can tell you what to do again?
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: You poor souls.... - 04/10/19

Is that actually parboiled or would it be considered blanched?

ETA....I hope your trip was fun and uneventful Jeff. 👍
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: You poor souls.... - 04/10/19
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Is that actually parboiled or would it be considered blanched?

ETA....I hope your trip was fun and uneventful Jeff. 👍

Not sure, but I bet he blanched when he saw the bear!

Besides, Alaskans always look blanched.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: You poor souls.... - 04/10/19
Lol....makes sense to me. Blanched, poached or parboiled......any of those cooking techniques shows that bears are highly evolved and they likely get as tired of sushi as I do. 😁
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: You poor souls.... - 04/11/19
Jeff, we moved back outside when our folks were getting older. It was a big mistake. We could fly back as easy and about as fast after we moved and going by car.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: You poor souls.... - 04/11/19

Hopefully its permanent, but out of the blue my 84 year old mother has become an issue, not medically, but we hope she will calm down. How long are they your mothers and think they can tell you what to do again?
Don't feel lonely Jeff, we had to move my 90 yo MIL in = with us last June and life has not been the same since. It really put a lot of things in our life on hold but she's family so what are you going to do right.
Posted By: rost495 Re: You poor souls.... - 04/11/19
We will see. One way or the other. There is plenty in place to take care of her as is, she could not handle it here and I won't be in one place all that long for it to work that way at the moment but its one day at a time.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: You poor souls.... - 04/11/19
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

Don't feel lonely Jeff, we had to move my 90 yo MIL in = with us last June and life has not been the same since. It really put a lot of things in our life on hold but she's family so what are you going to do right.

Doing the right thing ain’t always the easy thing, but it’s always the right thing. Tip o the hat to you sir.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: You poor souls.... - 04/11/19
Oh and Jeff, welcome home
Posted By: ironbender Re: You poor souls.... - 04/11/19
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

Doing the right thing ain’t always the easy thing, but it’s always the right thing. Tip o the hat to you sir.

+1
Posted By: rost495 Re: You poor souls.... - 04/11/19
Definitely the right thing to do! And if we were both here, Carolyn and I, in one spot, it would still be up to her. And its still deal with it one day at a time.

Randy, were so tired by the time we hit the border forgot to look at the area of your cabin! LOL. Thanks for the welcome.

Jeff
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: You poor souls.... - 04/12/19
Jeff one of my favorite things about that cabin is I literally had nada to do with it. My wife’s gig, she contracted the builders, had her brother clear the lot etc.

Was her dream to have a place where her mom and her 12 siblings were raised.

She got er done and it’s beautiful

Normally we consult one another when spending $ in multiples of 10k. All I heard was “ I want to build a cabin at Midway”

And so she did.

Pretty proud of my gal for that and so many other reasons
Posted By: rost495 Re: You poor souls.... - 04/12/19
you have plenty to be proud of!
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: You poor souls.... - 04/16/19
Have you shot your 300WM yet?
Posted By: rost495 Re: You poor souls.... - 04/17/19
300 Win shoots well enough for just a bit of load work, well enough it will be great.

The 6.5 only got to bedding, and scope and then got 6 rounds of 140 bergers loaded that should be sub Moa from other info, but never got to shoot it before I left. Will have others shoot it or wait till I get back this winter as I have to get back as I"m behind on maintenance and need a month or so down there before I get back here.

Thanks for all the help all the time!
Posted By: ironbender Re: You poor souls.... - 04/17/19
Working two homes simultaneously is a bitch.
© 24hourcampfire