Home
My interior Grizz hunt starts next week.

Flying into Anchorage 5/22, and will be staying there until 5/24am.

Anyone around like to do a meet and greet lmk. Been known to buy a round or two.

Also, anything worth seeing around town ?

Probably be staying close to the airport.

Tony
Best of luck on your hunt!
Where are you hunting at? I think the things I miss most about up there are bear hunting and salmon fishing.
Where in the interior are you headed?
Good luck, Tony.
Hunting with Cole Ellis, in the Nebesna area
Hit up Moose's Tooth for sure. Place gets crammed but its worth it. Humpy's downtown has a wide selection of beers on tap.

Good luck with your hunt.
ABC baby!

You’re liable to find ironbender and Sitka deer there 👍🏻
Lol !!

ABC ?

Liquor store ?

Or whore house ? !!!!!!
If you have to ask, you can't afford it! Haha!
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Hit up Moose's Tooth for sure. Place gets crammed but its worth it. Humpy's downtown has a wide selection of beers on tap.

That joint is overhyped...
Originally Posted by 79S

My thoughts as well. Give me a pizza from Milano’s without the hype, hipsters, and wait.
Alaska Bush Co - stripper bar. A couple miles east of the airport (about a $14 taxi ride.)

How do I know? 8 years in Kotzebue. We kept a car at Agen's car storage place right next door as it was faster, cheaper and more convenient for the 21/2 - 3 hour, 150 mile drive to our place on the Kenai, than trying to puddle jump plane it, and still wind up 25 miles from home with no car. (Hey- it's MY post, OK? smile ). Especially arriving Anc at 10:30 -11 at night, after the commuter outfits quit flying for the day.

Really, many of the new immigrant taxi drivers had no clue where Agen's was, or even "International Airport and Old Seward", but every one of them knew "ABC", long form - or just "Bush Co".

As it happens we'll be passing thru Anchorage late on the 23rd for Montana, for a 2 am flight the 24, but I won't be sociable! frown

Have a great hunt. Beautiful country!
Ah, I need to check that place out !

Thanks
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by 79S

My thoughts as well. Give me a pizza from Milano’s without the hype, hipsters, and wait.

Marco T's is a good pizza place with a good beer on tap. They have King Street IPA on tap which is pretty damn good beer if you are into drinking beer.
This may be a tourist trap now but the original bird house was always fun. https://www.koots.com/bars There was a great Sushi Bar that had a stream running through it but I forgot the name just ask around. I think the Bush Co. is on Whiskey row and at least worth a stroll around there. Moose Tooth Brewery and Pizza is worth a try.
Originally Posted by hicountry
Ah, I need to check that place out !

Thanks

Last time I was there I had to file a complaint with the BBB. Looking around the whole place I did not see a single bush!
Originally Posted by Tejano
This may be a tourist trap now but the original bird house was always fun. https://www.koots.com/bars There was a great Sushi Bar that had a stream running through it but I forgot the name just ask around. I think the Bush Co. is on Whiskey row and at least worth a stroll around there. Moose Tooth Brewery and Pizza is worth a try.

You speak of days long past!

wink

Downtown Bush Company closed years ago and the Bird House burned down...
Only a 2 day hunt...what's up w/that. powdr

Marco T's is a good pizza place with a good beer on tap. They have King Street IPA on tap which is pretty damn good beer if you are into drinking beer. [/quote]

Great pizza
Only in Anchorage 2 days, I drive to Nabesna, 24th.

Hunt is 10 days.
No bush...clean beaver perhaps ??

Lol !
The Lakefront Hotel is far from the cheapest and there are some cheaper right around the corner. But they have some exceptional taxidermy done by Robert Holshouser in there and it is worth checking out. The restaurants in there are nothing special.

https://www.millenniumhotels.com/en...age/?cid=gplaces-the-lakefront-anchorage

It is very close to the airport and right on Lake Hood, a very busy seaplane base.

Lol !

Alaska is # 1 for VD. When we say "get effed", we mean it! smile
Originally Posted by 79S

Two were mentioned. To which do you refer, sir?
Originally Posted by las

Lol !

"VD" is sooo 1980s.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 79S

Two were mentioned. To which do you refer, sir?

Moose's tooth man keep up chit..
Mascot must be pretty good to be reco'd over mooses tooth. I like the tooth's pizza and beer a lot and make a fairly reg'lar stop wnen up to the big city. Their Fairweather IPA is quite good. I know what to expect and they nail it every time. Never disappointed.

Will nice Marco a shot next time though. On Fireweed?
Mascot must be pretty good to be reco'd over mooses tooth. I like the tooth's pizza and beer a lot and make a fairly reg'lar stop wnen up to the big city. Their Fairweather IPA is quite good. I know what to expect and they nail it every time. Never disappointed.

Will nice Marco a shot next time though. On Fireweed?

That's the place good authentic Italian pizza. It's not moose's tooth pizza.. moose's tooth is good for a once year visit.. if you make it to palmer go to Palmer city Alehouse. Take a designated driver
Yup. Been there. Pretty good, but it's been a while.
I'd tell you to go to Moose's Tooth and enjoy a good pizza and beer. I got a good laugh on Saturday when my relief came into work. The first thing he said to me was, "Hey, is there a place in Anchorage called Moose's Tooth"? When I told him yes and asked why, he said he had read an article earlier in the day that Moose's Tooth was the number one grossing boutique pizzeria in the US. I can see that it probably is, and when the brother in-law and sister in-law come to visit, we usually stop and eat there after picking them up from the airport.

As far as Palmer Ale House, I can take it or leave it, as it seems to be hit or miss when the family and I go there. Of course they also have Eagle River Ale House and a new place in Anchorage as well.
Originally Posted by Hudge
I'd tell you to go to Moose's Tooth and enjoy a good pizza and beer. I got a good laugh on Saturday when my relief came into work. The first thing he said to me was, "Hey, is there a place in Anchorage called Moose's Tooth"? When I told him yes and asked why, he said he had read an article earlier in the day that Moose's Tooth was the number one grossing boutique pizzeria in the US. I can see that it probably is, and when the brother in-law and sister in-law come to visit, we usually stop and eat there after picking them up from the airport.

As far as Palmer Ale House, I can take it or leave it, as it seems to be hit or miss when the family and I go there. Of course they also have Eagle River Ale House and a new place in Anchorage as well.

The guy that owns Matanuska brewery owns the 3 ale houses. I just go for their great selection of booze on tap. King street lager is pretty good..
Go to Charlie bakery as well off c street and northern lights.. one of the best Chinese joints in Alaska and dare i say some parts of the lower 48..
I had moosesthooth pizza a few years back ..take out tho ...its a mad house full of folks...more folks than my little town down the road even has in it ...count me out !
Thanks for the ideas fellas
Lol !!

ABC ?

Liquor store ?

Or whore house ? !!!!!!

Good luck. Try not to get lost in the real Alaskan bush...

[Linked Image]
Only three things you need to know there:
Admire Beauty
Appreciate Talent
Reward Exposure...
And have a fist full of dollars !
Make it RAIN up in here!
I remember taking my Bulgarian lady friend there, she loved it. The ABC is always a good time, the beers were the same price as the bars so why wouldn't you go?
There is was a long wavy haired brunette in there in the late 80s ..ten years latter we got that way again...and she was still there.....looked the same ( good enough to eat) ...owned or wanted to own a island....hummmmmm
A pard told of a great looking blonde who worked in the old BushCo back in the day, 70’s IIRC. He went to flight school with her. Said when it came time to get hours the instructor told them that old so and so was going to give them a discount deal on a rental 172 to build hours. She sheepishly raised her hand and asked if it would be okay if she built hours in a 185 instead. When the instructor said he guessed so but why, she replied that she knew she’d need a plane if she was going to fly so she’d bought one, with cash!
Originally Posted by TheKid
A pard told of a great looking blonde who worked in the old BushCo back in the day, 70’s IIRC. He went to flight school with her. Said when it came time to get hours the instructor told them that old so and so was going to give them a discount deal on a rental 172 to build hours. She sheepishly raised her hand and asked if it would be okay if she built hours in a 185 instead. When the instructor said he guessed so but why, she replied that she knew she’d need a plane if she was going to fly so she’d bought one, with cash!

They made serious coin back in the day. I would guess it is not so lucrative today based on the number of places left open.
Hell, everybody in Ak was buying planes with cash back in the 70's from what I hear.
Oil workers would buy a plane, take enough lessons to learn how to get it up in the air and then play around till they crashed them.

At least that's the story I got from an old timer I used to know. He was a flight instructor in Fairbanks back in the day.
Originally Posted by las

Lol !

"VD" is sooo 1980s.

You prefer "clap"?

In terminology, of course.

I've been to MT three times. Probably no more. I don't do crowds and waiting lines well...., especially in cold, tho such conditions are usually indicative of an over-hyped fad, or a really good place, or both.

I don't do beer anymore, and the pizza wasn't worth it, tho good.

Leaves more of both for you guys. smile
You know this thread is worthless without pictures. smile Oh and Good luck on that Griz.
Sounds like I need to make a trip to the Moose Tooth
Have a great time on your hunt.
Pics and story when you get back please?
Absolutely.

Will post plenty of pics and hopefully a good grizz hunt pics
I'll be using my 300Rum, pushing 200grain Accubonds at 3150.

Rem 700ss, Micky rem classic, edge fill, Zeiss HD5 2x10x44, rz600

Dead on at 200, 300 yards aiming point, +2".

Doubt the guide will let me shoot any further, but I'm good to 600+.

Shot a nice sub 2" group at 300 so she's ready
For an interior grizz thats more than enough gun for sure. At least you picked a heavy bullet, I"d have gone mono but thats a personal thing mostly.

Good luck. Will be waiting on the pictures. Have only seen tracks here in Talkeetna so far. Boss has seen 2 bears in town though.
Heading north to Anchorage today.

Looks like a good day to fly
Best of luck Tony. Get it done👍
Thanks brother
Have a good flight. Connecting in Seattle?
Really nice in Talkeetna today. Be careful and good luck. Takes a day at minimum to get to AK from about anywhere IMHO.
Had a good flight yesterday, tooling around Anchorage today.

Beautiful area.
If ya think Anchorage is nice.... you'll be happier later in the week!
Originally Posted by rost495

Sez the Texan! smile
Talkeetna = hippieville

Sez the Texan! smile

I'll have you read my location please. LMAO
Originally Posted by 79S
Talkeetna = hippieville

Well duh, its why I don't live in town. LMAO again. But I hear you, OTOH if this pays my bills instead of sweating my azz off down south...

Although nothing to do today so cutting trees around the cabin that are dead and could fall for a friend... I broke into a bit of a sweat. Nice thing here, when you stop, you cool off right away it seems.

TX I'd be sweating in the AC for an hour still.

Hippies aint the only thing.,.. big drugs, pink and purple hair, all black outfits, old hippies, new hippies, lots of liberals, lots of older folks visiting which I enjoy.

But I'll be glad to be back to Delta by the fall.

Caught a decent rainbow finally, but not quite like your buddies. Been on the river enough now that I finally recognize where you were at. Learning the names to all the spots, not going quite so fast in my brain. LOL.

Sez the Texan! smile

I'll have you read my location please. LMAO

Oh, I read your claim there cheechako! smile smile

What ya doing in Talkeetna? Though you wuz moving to Delta?
I'm good with cheechako.

Home roost is Delta.

Talkeetna is my summer money maker fishing guide.
rost, You made the permanent move North?

If so, good for you, Hope it works out for you.
Yes, except for having to go home sometime in the winter to take care of maintenance on the farm, I'm here for good. Carolyn to follow in 2021 as a snow bird is the plan.

I'm hoping it works out too. I really want and need it to. So much better than in TX
Wonder how the hunt went?
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Wonder how the hunt went?

Went? He is still in the field unless he tagged out early... I guess I could run over to the Bush Company and see if he is there! Purely in the realm of concern for Tony's well-being, understand.
I thought he went in on the 23rd. I was thinking it was a 7 day hunt. Guess I'm wrong. Hope he got a good one.
We had a burger and beer before he left and he was talking about having a two-week rental on a truck. He did not have hard plans on a return date.
There was a really large grizzly taken by a guided hunter in that area this week. I hope it was him.
Originally Posted by VernAK
There was a really large grizzly taken by a guided hunter in that area this week. I hope it was him.

That would be cool!
I know Tony took a bear last night. That’s all I know as of now. Hope it was I bign one too but it really don’t matter. I’m glad he scored. 👍😀
Good for him!
Very cool! ANother caribou and moose calf killer down!
Just got a text from Tony’s wife. 8 foot male 340 yard shot. That’s all I know. I’m sure Tony will be along soon with the report.
good for him . 340 yards is to close for me
8ft is a really nice bear for an interior griz…… REALLY nice.

Those lllooooonnnngggg winters...
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Those lllooooonnnngggg winters...

And llloooooooooonnnnnngggggg shot!

Yes 8' is a very respectable interior grizzly. I have pics of one that frequented my bait for three years until I gave up
as no black bear is willing to hang around that guy.

Some of these interior grizzlies develop a head nearly as large as a Kodiak bear but the body dosn't carry through.
The log gift shop in Tok has a full mount upstairs that is huge in the front.
Sounds like a good one. Hope it's not rubbed. Bob
I had a buddy just last week shoot pretty nice interior grizz with his bow, taped out at 7'6" and had a 26 1/2" skull. Looking forward to the pics of your bear Tony.
Originally Posted by 163bc
Just got a text from Tony’s wife. 8 foot male 340 yard shot. That’s all I know. I’m sure Tony will be along soon with the report.

Excellent! That's a big interior bear.

Guy
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I had a buddy just last week shoot pretty nice interior grizz with his bow, taped out at 7'6" and had a 26 1/2" skull. Looking forward to the pics of your bear Tony.

Yee haw! Years ago I gave brief thought to hunting grizzly with a bow... Then decided that I really like my rifles! smile

Guy
Originally Posted by VernAK

Yes 8' is a very respectable interior grizzly. I have pics of one that frequented my bait for three years until I gave up
as no black bear is willing to hang around that guy.

Some of these interior grizzlies develop a head nearly as large as a Kodiak bear but the body dosn't carry through.
The log gift shop in Tok has a full mount upstairs that is huge in the front.

Vern I had several baits on the Tanana and a few in the Gerstle area, there are some big bastids hanging around in that area, not your average 6-7’ Toklats you see often. We had one we named Satan bear that was every bit of 8’. When a bear takes a 55 gal drum chained to a 30ft 12” diameter fallen white spruce and drags the whole mess 30 yards through the woods you know he’s eaten his Wheaties!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Squared 101 inches.,..8'5"

340 yards, qtr away, hit him twice angling forward.

Picked one bullet off the hide, behind the off-side shoulder.

He rolled about 50 yards down a ridge and dropped dead.

Both shots took out vitals and penetrated 3ft of grizz. Both shots were about 3 inches apart

300 rum, 200 Accubonds, 3150mv

Both bullets recovered were perfect mushrooms
Nice and congrats!

Still on my list to do with a bow eventually. May not ever get that far.
Congratulations! Nice bear!

Would enjoy reading ‘the rest of the story’ when you have the time.
Nice job! Wooly looking succker!
Thanks Art, it's was an epic adventure.

Took him on day 7.

We saw in total, 7 bears....2 boars, 2 sows and 3 cubs.

Both boars were huge, sows were 7 footers.

We found this boar while watching a sow and cub

They were calmly feeding, then the sow went on full alert and ran partway up a mtn.

She kept looking down at something at the bottom of the mtn.

We moved to a better vantage point, and saw him lying on top of a small knoll at the bottom of a mtn.

We stalked on a ridge, opposite the knoll the boar was on, accross a valley. Because of the wind, we couldn't get any closer to the bear.

We ranged him at 340.

I found a nice big rock, with a flat top to sit behind.

Rolled up my hat and placed it under the forend.

Cranked up the scope to 10x and settled in. Honestly, it was like sitting on a bench rest. Cross hairs were Rock solid.

Bear was qtr away from me. I turned to the guide and said I can make this shot, no problem....he said go for it.

So it setup, aiming so the the bullet would end up on the off side shoulder, and squeezed one off.

The bear lurched forward, and I let another one go.

He the stood up, and started swatting at his left shoulder, stumbled,and rolled down the knoll he was on.
Somewhere in there I let #3 go.

When he got to the bottom of the knoll, he was wobbly, and I let #4 go, and he dropped and didn't move.

First 2 shots were perfect, one we found under the skin on the off side shoulder, the second probably ended up near the front of his chest.

#3 was a miss, #4 went through his rear legs and broke one.

Basically, he was dead after the first 2 shots, but I kept the 300rum barking until he stopped moving !

I'll post pics of the 200ABs I recovered, but they performed perfectly, and looked like something out of an Nosler advertisement.
Are you back in the big city?
Good job!
Yes, back in Anchorage til tonight
What did you do with your skull and hide?
At an expediter near Palmer

Don't have the skull measurement yet, but they tell me it's big, and might make book

I should find out the green measurements shortly.

Ah, good deal! The hide looks good in the picture, should make an impressive mount.
Hide is perfect
Life-size it!
wink
I am !
That will be cool!
Congrats, great photos!!
At an expediter near Palmer

Don't have the skull measurement yet, but they tell me it's big, and might make book

I should find out the green measurements shortly.

Got a name of the expediter? My buddy might be working your hide
Congrats man! Wow! exciting! Thanks for sharing.
That's a good one !! Sounds like you had a good hunt. Conglads.

How were the skitters? Bob
Beautiful bear!
Wow! Nice bear and it sounds like a great hunt.

Congratulations Sir!
No bugs. We were hunting next to a glacier, was fairly cold most of the time
Congrats on a successful hunt!
Looks like a big bear to me.
Good size fellow next to it also.
Great bear in the Great Land! Congratulations!
Heck ya! Congratulations on a beautiful bear!
That's a monster. Way to go!
Thanks JB, and everyone else for the kind words
hicountry-

Congrats on a fabulous bruin!!
OUTSTANDING!

A hearty congratulations on a very successful hunt.

Wow... You did well. Terrific bear, and ya, two boars in seven days of hunting, about what I'd expect while hunting interior grizzly. My goodness, you got a terrific bear. Nice job.

Regards, Guy
Outstanding! Beautiful bear!
Just saw this thread. Congratulations on a fine trophy and thanks for helping thin out the predator herd just a bit.
Skull measured 24 3/16

If it holds, it makes the all time book
Great bear and photos!!

-Jake
Skull measured 24 3/16

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!
Skull measured 24 3/16

Wow!
That's a great bear!
Congratulations!
Nice bear and it sounds like a great hunt. I hope you’ll post pictures of the life size mount when it’s done. 👍

Great job.
Aces,

Thanks, I certainly will, but it's going to be a while !

Tony
Just stumbled across this....

Great bear and great story.

Thanks for sharing the adventure and congrats!
That sounds like the adventure of a lifetime,and a score of a lifetime,Very cool,
Very nice bear!

That area needed relief from some of those alpha predators......especially in calving season!

Beautiful bear
Heck of a bear, congrats!
"...Basically, he was dead after the first 2 shots, but I kept the 300rum barking until he stopped moving !"

You did it just right sir!

Congratulations!
Thanks guys for the kind words

I'll put up some recovered 200ab pics in a few.

Very happy with their performance.
Vern,

That bear was putting a hurting on a lot of things.

Calf's, lambs, cubs
Nice bear. I've used those Accubombs on my last few moose, no regrets, had good performance. Have not used them on a bear yet, wondered if they would "splash" if they hit something too hard. Probably would be fine, just made me wonder after reading a couple stories on the interweb.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

200ab, 3150mv, impact 340 yards the one on the left broke a rear leg

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by kid0917
"...Basically, he was dead after the first 2 shots, but I kept the 300rum barking until he stopped moving !"

Congratulations!

The best bear is the one with the most holes!
Originally Posted by kid0917

Congratulations!

I personally have near zero interest in proactively shooting a brown/griz - but if you're going to do it, that's the way! And darned good shooting!

Congratulations on a fine bear and a great experience. Looking forward to the mount pics.

Well done!
But if ever I stumble across a silver-tip, all bets are off! wink
© 24hourcampfire