Home
Posted By: Calvin 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/09/19
Had some 24 Hour guys come up/down to help me remember how to fish in my pre-season. Slow king fishing but we managed a few a day. Thanks for showing up guys! (This was a non-Charter)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/09/19
Looks like yall had fun!

How about identifying this bunch of misfits. And, no I'm not talking about the fish, but while we're on the subject, what kind are they?
Posted By: Slidellkid Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/09/19
Nice!
Posted By: Calvin Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/09/19
Dennisaz, Lundtroller, 358, and KKalaska. Hope they don’t mind their mug being posted.

That was the best of 3 days.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/09/19
Thanks for taking us fishing, Joel! He knows how to put people on fish. Thanks again.

Left to right, KKalaska, Kurt 358, Steve, Calvin , Joel, Dennnis, & Lund Troller , Todd
The purple drank hoochie and those hooks were mopping them up yesterday. Both Hal and kings. Things are almost normal here. 3 out of 4 were over 20#.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kid0917 Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/09/19
top photo, lower right, almost looks like a Dall porpoise! great lingcod day, looks like. did you jig them up or mooch?
All my days sorta run together, but I think we got them on anchor soaking bait/circle hooks. Dennis if I recall was getting some jigging. We got some kings trolling and mooching.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/09/19
Very nice! Look forward to sampling other than hailbut one of these fine days!

Congrats all around, good job fishing, great job guiding.

Jeff
Noted a hoggish Ling in one photo Dennis sent. Looked like good times!
Posted By: lundtroller Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/10/19
I'll add my thanks again for a great time in Craig as well Joel!!!

For other Campfire members, Joel is quite the host, hard worker, and fisherman. There is no time wasted on his trips and his guiding experience really shows. His operation is a small one and very personal. He has a beautiful family and works his butt off for his guests and in his other personal endeavors.The Blue Heron B&B looks right over the Craig Marina (and Joel's vessels) and is very convenient, practical, and comfortable w/o a bunch of "fluff". Evening meals at local establishments were very good and affordable. Great little sporting goods store in town! Locals were helpful and very friendly.

Joel has a "good" life and works hard,,, hunts hard when he has the time. I spent a couple of extra days on POW exploring the island and it's communities, stream fishing (landed my first steelhead!), and just relaxing... I miss it already!!!

Back at the "grind" in the lower 48, nursing my many no-see-um bites... finally started a medrol steroid dose pack 1 week later!!! Still a soft cheechako (even though my birth certificate says Alaska) I guess!!!

Good memories with Kurt, Dennis, Steve, and Joel... all good!
Posted By: ironbender Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/10/19
Noseeums in June? wow
Posted By: trapperJ Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/10/19
Great job as usual Joel!
Posted By: Partsman Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/10/19
No bigstick?
cool
\looks like fun
Posted By: AKduck Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/10/19
Good deal. Fishing seems ...almost....normal over here in Ketch as well. Kings are thick in the Mtn Point area.
Posted By: Calvin Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/10/19
Thanks for the kind words Todd. Wife gave me the nod for a 2020 campfire trip. Probably give a new crew a chance if anyone is interested.
Posted By: Calvin Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/10/19
Originally Posted by AKduck
Good deal. Fishing seems ...almost....normal over here in Ketch as well. Kings are thick in the Mtn Point area.

It will be nice when we crawl out of this abundance hole we've been in. See what tomorrow brings. Back at it.
Posted By: ironbender Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/10/19
Looks like you boys had a good time. Kudos to you Joel..
Posted By: cwh2 Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/10/19
Looks like you guys had fun - good to hear!
Posted By: Vek Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/10/19
You need to put up a photo of the purple drank squid.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/10/19
Yes, I caught all my bottom fish on a jig. I caught the biggest lingcod I have caught in 20 years and the biggest halibut ever. Had fun with the kings. We fed at least one seal/sea lion a nice king. If you're looking for a good salt water fishing trip, this is it. If you like eating salmon better than halibut, I would wait until late July when the silvers come through as the limit is much more generous with them than kings.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/10/19
Originally Posted by Calvin
Thanks for the kind words Todd. Wife gave me the nod for a 2020 campfire trip. Probably give a new crew a chance if anyone is interested.
Sounds like fun and I've always wanted to visit SE Alaska. How far are you from Coffman Cove Joel?
Posted By: Jamie Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/10/19
Nice fish. That sure looks like a good time.
I've been out on the South Sound 3 weekends in a row trolling for kings to no avail. I'm really looking forward to fishing with you next month.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/10/19
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Noted a hoggish Ling in one photo Dennis sent. Looked like good times!

Dall porpoise.
smile
nearly.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/11/19
Joel runs a first class operation and both he and his family are good people to boot.
Thanks for letting us come down and intrude on your piece of heaven.
Posted By: NMiller Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/12/19
Where's Big Stick, did he miss the boat?

Looks like a good time!
Posted By: Calvin Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/13/19
Thanks for the King Candy guys. I'll knock the paint off of them.

Grinding right now.. Day off in 5 days..
Posted By: Barkoff Re: 24 Hour CF Shakedown - 06/17/19
Ling on the right looks like a pig.
© 24hourcampfire