Home
Posted By: colorado bob Homer Halibut Derby - 06/25/19
Anyone in the Derby? We've got a couple of charters with Captain Dave of the Grand Aleution scheduled in July. He was getting a new boat---not sure if he's got it yet. He's won the Derby in the past. Anyone know what's the leading fish weighs? Heck for $10 it's worth a shot.

Just goggled it------140 lber is in the lead. Caught on Bob's Charter.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Homer Halibut Derby - 06/25/19

wish I were in Homer instead of Podunk............... cry
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Homer Halibut Derby - 06/25/19
140 wont last.
Your odds of winning big are about the same as playing video poker. But like you said, it's $10.

Just make sure that everyone else on the boat has a ticket too, otherwise it doesn't count.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Homer Halibut Derby - 06/26/19
I agree with Steve... halibut sizes are increasing a bit more than they have been... I saw a 150# fish hanging a couple weeks ago and heard of a 200 the same day.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Homer Halibut Derby - 06/26/19
Dang, must have been a different one I was hearing about up here, 251 bumped by 257 appx where numbers I had heard a couple of weeks ago.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Homer Halibut Derby - 06/26/19
Originally Posted by rost495
Dang, must have been a different one I was hearing about up here, 251 bumped by 257 appx where numbers I had heard a couple of weeks ago.

Homer or Seward?
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Homer Halibut Derby - 06/26/19
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by rost495

Homer or Seward?

Or Valdisease?
Posted By: rost495 Re: Homer Halibut Derby - 06/26/19
No clue, just words I overhear while taking folks fishing. Mostly while I'm driving and trying to pay attention to the "road".

I failed to ask on these too... get to one tracked, hear it, then we stop and its all about fishing and I forget to ask.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Homer Halibut Derby - 06/26/19
I heard on the radio of a biggun caught that is the “derby winner” already. Did not catch what port.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Homer Halibut Derby - 06/26/19
Current leader in Valdez is at 285.6 lbs, Seward is 257.8 lbs, Homer is at 140.6 as of the 19th.

Here's a video of one that went 374 lbs back in 2017 out of Valdez.

[video:youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=20&v=Bs3aE2vFW4I [/video]
Posted By: Slidellkid Re: Homer Halibut Derby - 07/07/19
Thsnks for posting the video, that’s crazy!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Homer Halibut Derby - 07/07/19
She got a lotta 'but!
Posted By: pak Re: Homer Halibut Derby - 07/08/19
Those big hens should be released. She had gallons of eggs.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Homer Halibut Derby - 07/08/19
I would agree generally, but they do not have a recruitment problem it seems... the young fish are there just failing to grow, more competition for what seems to be a food problem might not be a good thing. Killing a bunch of arrow tooth flounder would make a lot of sense...
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Homer Halibut Derby - 07/08/19
Originally Posted by pak
Those big hens should be released. She had gallons of eggs.

Tell that to the commerical guys and see if they toss back a big one.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Homer Halibut Derby - 07/09/19
With the Kenai flooding----it may be a bad year flossing for reds. Hope I catch a barn door.
Posted By: acy Re: Homer Halibut Derby - 07/11/19
Wife and I fished out of Seward on June 13th. We each threw in our $10. I came in second place for the day with an 84.6 pound halibut. First for the day beat mine by 5 or 6 pounds, I believe. Just got home a couple days ago. Fish was delivered today. Will start eating it tomorrow.....
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Homer Halibut Derby - 07/11/19
Originally Posted by acy
Wife and I fished out of Seward on June 13th. We each threw in our $10. I came in second place for the day with an 84.6 pound halibut. First for the day beat mine by 5 or 6 pounds, I believe. Just got home a couple days ago. Fish was delivered today. Will start eating it tomorrow.....

No fleas on a 85 pound 'but! Well, sand fleas maybe...
Posted By: TheKid Re: Homer Halibut Derby - 07/11/19
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by acy

No fleas on a 85 pound 'but! Well, sand fleas maybe...

Dang right. I bought tickets and fished for them several trips every year for a decade and never caught one that big. Hooked a good one once and lost him but never caught one over 60. Sure had a lot of fun doing it though, probably the #1 thing I miss about Alaska is the saltwater fishing.
© 24hourcampfire