Home
Posted By: atvalaska Sea sickness patch ..how to - 07/15/19
Get one with out going to the clinic a paying a couple hundred?...
I would rather take a beating than use Scopolamine...

Make sure you are not drunk or hung over and eat a big breakfast. Avoid acidic stuff like OJ and sugars. If you feel queasy stay out on deck. Stay away from exhaust fumes.

Keep your eyes on the horizon.

If all else fails close your eyes and think warm comfortable thoughts... like eating cold greasy pork out of a dirty ash tray.
And don't eat the last honey glazed donut while downstairs taking a piss. sick
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
And don't eat the last honey glazed donut while downstairs taking a piss. sick

šŸ˜
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Sea sickness patch ..how to - 07/15/19
Why not do Dramamine? ALWAYS worked for me and others that I know use it.
Posted By: las Re: Sea sickness patch ..how to - 07/15/19
The couple times I have gotten queezy I ate a half sandwich or something.

Works for me, maybe not u
I used one before because the Doc told me it was less drowsy than Dramamine. I decided to cut one in half, glad thing I did because my eyes were dilated and when looking up, I was hallucinating at morphing clouds in the sky.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I would rather take a beating than use Scopolamine.

Good to know! šŸ¤Ø
Originally Posted by peeshooter
I used one before because the Doc told me it was less drowsy than Dramamine. I decided to cut one in half, glad thing I did because my eyes were dilated and when looking up, I was hallucinating at morphing clouds in the sky.

Yup! Maybe not quite that bad, but it does weird stuff to me.
Ok u guys im no puss.. i dove commercial ak for years ...had a bad bout with the ocean one time...to many...
Posted By: pak Re: Sea sickness patch ..how to - 07/16/19
When I remember, I take the dramamine the night before. I seem to sleep through the drowsy phase.
Few times on the sea no problems.
Working offshore and riding crew/work boats would get me every time. Get sick as a dog. Finally figured out that skipping the meal before the boat ride (empty stomach) and taking along all the saltine crackers I could carry, did the trick. Go to getting queasy, eat a few crackers..... no liquids!

That's what worked for me.

I found this out years later..... getting on a smaller boat, if possible, will solve the problem. Use to dive and would get sick on the dive boat. Dive instructor brought his smaller boat and I rode in it. No problem!
Posted By: Hudge Re: Sea sickness patch ..how to - 07/17/19
I use Dramamine the night before I go out on a boat. I used to never get sea sick, and then about 10 years ago while in FL on a deep sea fishing trip, it hit me and I've never been the same since. I did go out in Prince William Sound once on a bear hunt/fishing trip and it didn't bother me. Take me to Seward, different story.
I just did a trip for a few days out of Seward and most of the guys had issues with sea sickness. They took a medicine called Bonine that is over the counter and they swore by it. Even the captain took it. Apparently the key is to take it the day before. No drowsiness according to these guys.
Posted By: battue Re: Sea sickness patch ..how to - 07/17/19
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Get one with out going to the clinic a paying a couple hundred?...

You can always forge a prescription, however the FDA frowns on those who do so....
Originally Posted by celt375
I just did a trip for a few days out of Seward and most of the guys had issues with sea sickness. They took a medicine called Bonine that is over the counter and they swore by it. Even the captain took it. Apparently the key is to take it the day before. No drowsiness according to these guys.

thats what i use sometimes.
I just got back from Alaska. Called my primary doctor before I left and he wrote up the prescription. No appointment required. Worked great for me but the weather out in Pelican was great last week.
Posted By: battue Re: Sea sickness patch ..how to - 07/17/19
Originally Posted by wayno945
I just got back from Alaska. Called my primary doctor before I left and he wrote up the prescription. No appointment required. Worked great for me but the weather out in Pelican was great last week.

That is how it works with those who have a primary care physician or a friend who is a physician. Any decent clinic physician should do the same, if You have been in their care for any length of time.

I havenā€™t heard many patients complain about the scop patch, but IM or IV (which you donā€™t have to worry about), it definitely can provide some ā€œcentralā€ effects, dysphoria, etc. But the patches surely can work for rocking boat sickness.
Posted By: Tedo Re: Sea sickness patch ..how to - 07/18/19
Best cure for sickness is to sit under a Apple tree.
Originally Posted by Tedo

Last time I fished under an apple tree I did not catch any halibut...
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Tedo

Last time I fished under an apple tree I did not catch any halibut...

you just need to learn to cast further.
That's all it takes?

I'm excited now!
wink
Originally Posted by celt375

Bonine works for me 100%....I take one the night before, one first thing waking up before fishing and maybe one more halfway thru the trip...
If you canā€™t get a script for the scopolamine patch just ask for meclizine at any Walmart pharmacy. Itā€™s same thing as Bonine and a lot cheaper. Theyā€™ll usually have a bigger bottle behind the counter which is cheaper still.
I've used the scapolomine a few times with no real problems. The only side effect I noticed was dry mouth. I'll trade that for sea sickness any day. Everyone is different when in comes to medication side effects.
Never been sea sick. But my wife has. She tried the patches and the Velcro wrist pressure points.
Finally settled on a mouth spray. Vitamotion spray, worked better than anything else. You can wait until you start feeling queasy then a couple of sprays on the inside of your checks and your fixed. Hasbeen
Posted By: JimR Re: Sea sickness patch ..how to - 07/19/19
I have used scapolomine for years. It has worked well and Iā€™ve had no side effects.
Lol

Scopolamine patch, the modern version of the cotton ball in the earhole for retards. laugh

If you rub your eyes with the foil part, you get the added bonus of making everyone think youre tripping acid

Posted By: Prwlr Re: Sea sickness patch ..how to - 07/21/19
Lived in San Diego for a while and used Bonine (non prescription strength Antivert) when on long range fishing boats worked better than Dramamine.
there are some that dramamine does not work for or bonine. For the most part my wife is one. If its bad out, the patch is the only thing but she doesn't like the side effects. But the others work for mild days and car sickness and plane rides.,

Some folks it bothers more than others.
Bonine is better than Dramimine but I got pretty Qeazy using Bonine last trip out of Seward but it was ROUGH SEAS!!!
© 24hourcampfire