Home
Posted By: 907brass My first black bear - 08/18/19
I wanted to show you all something I'm thrilled about:
June 2nd of this year I finally got my first black bear. I've been wanting to go out on a spring/early summer hunt for about 7 years now, but my college schedule always took up Mays, and my commercial fishing schedule took up Junes and Julys. I've longingly watched just about every spring black bear hunt on youtube.
And I finally got to get a few day hunt in! 1st day - no bears. 2nd day- 9 (yes, 9!) big coastal brownies. 3rd day - saw a sow black bear with two cubs, and then later this cinnamon black bear!

It is by no means a record breaker by size, but I am thrilled. And it is some of the most delicious meat I've eaten. Also, a plus, it is a lot more meat than the blacktails I usually hunt for!

Harvested south of Haines AK.

Attached picture Untitled.jpg
Posted By: 79S Re: My first black bear - 08/18/19
Congrats!
Posted By: olgrouser Re: My first black bear - 08/18/19
cool
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: My first black bear - 08/18/19
Excellent. Nice looking bear.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: My first black bear - 08/18/19
Originally Posted by 907brass
I wanted to show you all something I'm thrilled about:
June 2nd of this year I finally got my first black bear. I've been wanting to go out on a spring/early summer hunt for about 7 years now, but my college schedule always took up Mays, and my commercial fishing schedule took up Junes and Julys. I've longingly watched just about every spring black bear hunt on youtube.
And I finally got to get a few day hunt in! 1st day - no bears. 2nd day- 9 (yes, 9!) big coastal brownies. 3rd day - saw a sow black bear with two cubs, and then later this cinnamon black bear!

It is by no means a record breaker by size, but I am thrilled. And it is some of the most delicious meat I've eaten. Also, a plus, it is a lot more meat than the blacktails I usually hunt for!

Harvested south of Haines AK.

Good deal! That is a unique color for most of Alaska and very, very nice.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: My first black bear - 08/18/19
Awesome. Congrats!
Posted By: ironbender Re: My first black bear - 08/18/19
Nice bear. Congrats!
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: My first black bear - 08/18/19
Well done!
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: My first black bear - 08/18/19
Great bear! Beautiful!
Posted By: TheKid Re: My first black bear - 08/18/19
You and my wife. I hunted a bunch hoping for a cinnamon and never found even a little one, you guys both shoot a good one the first time around. Congrats
Posted By: 907brass Re: My first black bear - 08/18/19
Thanks all! Hard to describe just how thrilled I am with this bear. And as I remarked to a friend of mine recently, I count myself so lucky that the hunts I get most inspired by and excited about -- they are all right here in my home state.
Posted By: las Re: My first black bear - 08/19/19
Congratulations on wish fulfilment, and with a red bear at that.

I have only ever shot blacks (5 I think) for meat, which isn't even close to being a favorite of my palate, but tastes differ. I won't shoot a bear for hide nor fun. Unless it is a deep, dark cinnamon. Auburn. Like yours. Then that sucker is in deep doo.

I have always been a sucker for redheads of that shade.

Had a Brownie wreck my raspberry patch this morning. I wish they would learn to pick from the outside...... smile
Posted By: EdM Re: My first black bear - 08/19/19
Hard to beat that. Well done.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: My first black bear - 08/19/19
Yes, fantastic bear!
That prolly had your heart pumping hard.
Posted By: 907brass Re: My first black bear - 08/19/19
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Yes, fantastic bear!
That prolly had your heart pumping hard.

Yeah, walking up on a downed bear was a lot more 'exciting' than walking up on a down blacktail...little bit bigger teeth!
Posted By: remingtonman Re: My first black bear - 08/23/19
Nice, what caliber rifle and bullet did you use?
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: My first black bear - 08/24/19
Congratulations! Nice bear.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: My first black bear - 08/25/19
Great job on the bear. You have every reason to be proud of your first bear. Iโ€™m glad that you enjoy the meat as well since thatโ€™s the real satisfaction of all the work that goes into it.

Keep up the good work. ๐Ÿ‘
Posted By: 907brass Re: My first black bear - 09/09/19
Originally Posted by remingtonman
Nice, what caliber rifle and bullet did you use?

I used a .300WSM with 190gr. Nosler accubond.
Heart shot, and the bear made it about 30 yards.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: My first black bear - 09/09/19
Just Awesome! Congrats on your bear. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
Nice bear Congrualtions. I'm jealous
© 24hourcampfire