Home
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Backstory on this ram - 09/19/19
Can anyone tell me the backstory on this ram? I believe it was kept at the outdoor rec cabin on JBER and was damn near lost over time but that's about all I know about it.

Attached picture Dall Ram.jpg
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Backstory on this ram - 09/19/19
Now that's a RAM.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Backstory on this ram - 09/19/19

That's a shooter
Posted By: las Re: Backstory on this ram - 09/19/19
Could be wrong, but looks like the sheep version of a jackalope.

Or is it the Chadwick ram?

I suspect (again perhaps in error) those are actually Marco Polo horns on a Dall.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Backstory on this ram - 09/19/19
I’ve seen one that looks a lot like that on a wall somewhere in Lake Clark pass ...
Posted By: Yakataga Re: Backstory on this ram - 09/21/19
I have seen that image before on another forum. Taken by Al Lee near Nerelna Creek east of Chitina. Unknown year. Pre ANILCA probably. If I recall the posting correctly, that is a photo of Al's living room in the Copper Center area.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Backstory on this ram - 09/21/19
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

That's a shooter

a shootee! You are the shooter! fascinating ram.
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: Backstory on this ram - 09/21/19
Originally Posted by Yakataga
I have seen that image before on another forum. Taken by Al Lee near Nerelna Creek east of Chitina. Unknown year. Pre ANILCA probably. If I recall the posting correctly, that is a photo of Al's living room in the Copper Center area.
Are you referring to the Al Lee that flew out of Glennallen in the 50's and 60's? Daughter Patty?
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Backstory on this ram - 09/21/19
It is Al Lee's unmeasured ram. Most believe that it would be a top 10 ram if entered. I heard a story that it was taken on hanging glacier on the back side of Canyon Creek. This is on the opposite of the mountain as Nerelna Creek. Supposedly there is a flat plateau area that is behind a hanging glacier and that is where he took the big ram. Supposedly there was a bigger ram with it. Al really had to put his cub into a tight spot. He shot it with a Pre-64 Model 70 300 H+H rechambered to 300 Roy. I think it was taken in 1969. It is one heck of a ram.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Backstory on this ram - 09/23/19
Originally Posted by kaboku68
It is Al Lee's unmeasured ram. Most believe that it would be a top 10 ram if entered. I heard a story that it was taken on hanging glacier on the back side of Canyon Creek. This is on the opposite of the mountain as Nerelna Creek. Supposedly there is a flat plateau area that is behind a hanging glacier and that is where he took the big ram. Supposedly there was a bigger ram with it. Al really had to put his cub into a tight spot. He shot it with a Pre-64 Model 70 300 H+H rechambered to 300 Roy. I think it was taken in 1969. It is one heck of a ram.
I knew if anyone had info on this ream it would be you. I had heard pretty much the same story but that was many years ago and could not find much on the internet about Al's ram. Appreciate the info.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Backstory on this ram - 09/24/19
I"m overly impressed that its not in the book. I've no use for the books personally, but I know folks like them and all. Which is good by me, but nice to see someone take something to make them happy, not to brag to others.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Backstory on this ram - 09/26/19
AkMtnHunter: WOW!
That is an incredible Ram!
Thanks for posting/sharing.
Double-wow!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Backstory on this ram - 09/29/19
Originally Posted by las

I suspect (again perhaps in error) those are actually Marco Polo horns on a Dall.

Originally Posted by las

The Chadwick ram is a stone sheep.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Backstory on this ram - 09/30/19
Beautiful Ram, good thread about sheep/sheep hunting.
© 24hourcampfire