Home
Posted By: cwh2 Mooses - 09/26/19
Shoot or pass?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Mooses - 09/26/19
shoot without reservation or hesitation...
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Mooses - 09/26/19
Unit 14 or 16, it’d hit the dirt. 13 it would get a pass. I’m not that confident on the 50” call to pull the trigger on that one based on inches.
[u][/u]
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Unit 14 or 16, it’d hit the dirt. 13 it would get a pass. I’m not that confident on the 50” call to pull the trigger on that one based on inches.

Might want to lookie again...
wink
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Mooses - 09/26/19
I couldn’t tell if that was a 4th brow tine or a branch. 4th it’s hitting the dirt in any zone! In fairness I’m looking on my phone and I can’t zoom it in enough.
Posted By: scottf270 Re: Mooses - 09/26/19
Pass.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Mooses - 09/26/19
His antlers seem to lay out which I think helps put him past 50" and he's a shooter in a 3 brow tine area for sure. Hard to say really without a frontal view.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Mooses - 09/26/19
How long is the pack out?
Posted By: WDH Re: Mooses - 09/26/19
shoot
What does he taste like?
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Mooses - 09/26/19
Boom !
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Mooses - 09/26/19
Originally Posted by colorado bob

From there? Very possibly a "cut his head off and drag him out with a cable" type thing.
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by colorado bob

From there? Very possibly a "cut his head off and drag him out with a cable" type thing.

Three years ago we killed one we could not get to. 300 yards of combined cable and winch line made the connection. Antlers digging in promised to be a big mess... They dug in all right, but just sliced right through everything underground! I could not keep up to film it across the bog.
This one was just up and over the edge of about a 100 foot bank. There is a way around, but its a mile of brush. 300 feet of cable would do it.

He was a tricky bull. Two of us both called him "50, but close" separately. Buddy had him at 3/3, I had him at 3/2 for brow tines. He was actually 2/2, with a sucker point on each side. Ended up measuring 52.5.

Bull on the left.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Mooses - 09/26/19
Congrats Chris, sounds like you earned that bull.
Oh no... we drove right up to both of them and lifted them with the gin poles. It was magical.

I had no moves the day I took the first picture. Could have shot him where he stood at 380, but didn't want to deal with that. Bailed out and we came back the next day and my buddy got him.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Mooses - 09/27/19
Oh no... we drove right up to both of them and lifted them with the gin poles. It was magical.

I had no moves the day I took the first picture. Could have shot him where he stood at 380, but didn't want to deal with that. Bailed out and came back the next day and we came back the next day and my buddy got him.

You came back twice?
wink
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Mooses - 09/27/19
Man, that was tough to read.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Mooses - 09/27/19
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I had no moves the day I took the first picture. Could have shot him where he stood at 380, but didn't want to deal with that. Bailed out and came back the next day and we came back the next day and my buddy got him.

You came back twice?
wink

Don’t “art” his story.
Posted By: WDH Re: Mooses - 09/27/19
Great bulls! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Mooses - 09/27/19
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

You came back twice?
wink

Don’t “art” his story.

And a polite GFY to you!
wink
Posted By: las Re: Mooses - 09/27/19
With just that view, I called him, using the ear-layout, borderline, probably legal spread wise, but look real hard again and again and again, until real sure.

Nice bull! Well done.

Was that in a 3 brow area?
Posted By: WDH Re: Mooses - 09/27/19
I’ve never seen people put game bags on the skulls. Is that to keep the flies out? Why no bag on the bou?
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Mooses - 09/27/19
good call. I'd have pulled the trigger as well.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Mooses - 09/28/19
Originally Posted by WDH
I’ve never seen people put game bags on the skulls. Is that to keep the flies out? Why no bag on the bou?

Yep, it helps a little - a habit formed from sheep season. And from a story last year about a runaway ball of maggots that ran down the windshield and into the fresh air intake on the buggy, causing me to have to tear the SOB apart at the busiest time of the year.

Had kind of forgot about the bou by that point, but it eventually got a bag to keep the maggots IN.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Mooses - 09/28/19
las, thanks. These are from Unit 13. 4 brow tine area.
Posted By: WDH Re: Mooses - 09/29/19
Originally Posted by WDH

Yep, it helps a little - a habit formed from sheep season. And from a story last year about a runaway ball of maggots that ran down the windshield and into the fresh air intake on the buggy, causing me to have to tear the SOB apart at the busiest time of the year.

Had kind of forgot about the bou by that point, but it eventually got a bag to keep the maggots IN.

Oh man!!!
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Mooses - 09/29/19
I live in an area where residents can shoot any bull, I’d shoot the [bleep] out of that thing, it’s bigger than the 42” one I got this year.
Posted By: las Re: Mooses - 09/29/19
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
I live in an area where residents can shoot any bull, I’d shoot the [bleep] out of that thing, it’s bigger than the 42” one I got this year.

That was my plan too- to go to our remote cabin in an "any bull" area and hunt the full season or until we dropped one of any size.

A fire in our rental apartments canceled this year's moose hunt out, but then I didn't really need a moose anyway - Freezer already full of caribou and fish. Mostly it was to be a trip to the cabin....

Next year.... smile
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Mooses - 09/29/19
I had the easiest hunt of my life. DM788. I shot a 3 year old cow through liver into the ventricles of the heart on my archery range from my front door and she made it 10 yards before laying down in a spot on the powerline.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Mooses - 09/30/19
Ah yes, the old hang 'em from the swingset trick! Congrats!
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Mooses - 09/30/19
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I had the easiest hunt of my life. DM788. I shot a 3 year old cow through liver into the ventricles of the heart on my archery range from my front door and she made it 10 yards before laying down in a spot on the powerline.

I'd say you've earned it.
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Mooses - 09/30/19
Originally Posted by las

That was my plan too- to go to our remote cabin in an "any bull" area and hunt the full season or until we dropped one of any size.

A fire in our rental apartments canceled this year's moose hunt out, but then I didn't really need a moose anyway - Freezer already full of caribou and fish. Mostly it was to be a trip to the cabin....

Next year.... smile

That’s basically what I did but I don’t have a cabin so I loaded up. Y boat and went up river, ended up getting the moose after 8 days. Had a blast driving around and just slept in the boat and got a lot of fishing in as well.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Mooses - 09/30/19

I shot one that was 42ish last year because he made the mistake of having 4 brow tines. smile
© 24hourcampfire