Home
Posted By: kaboku68 Fairbanks rocks! - 10/28/19
I know that many enjoy different parts of Alaska. However, I just want to drop that Fairbanks has more gunshops and gun buying opportunities than any other town of 30,000 people in the nation. I know that Anchorage has the Roosevelt Room, Great Northern Guns, Barney's Sports Chalet, and Mt. View Sports. However, we have Iron and Wood, Doug's Gunsmithing, Alaska Guns and Ammo, Frontier Outfitters, Big Rays, Fairbanks Fast Cash, JJs Pawn, Gold Rush Pawn and Morgan's House of Guns. I know that there are lots of small shops out in North Pole as well. I am just feeling pretty fortunate that we in Fairbanks have some pretty good options for getting gun stuff.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 10/28/19
From a guy that works in downtown Anchorage, Fairbanks looks better all the time.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 10/28/19
Fairbanks has always been a boom or bust town. It has had a few great gun shops over the years. When Karl was alive DownUnder was a fun shop.
Glad to hear it is booming again .
Posted By: WDH Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 10/28/19
So you compared a town of 30,000 to anchorage and then you didn’t even list half of the places in anchorage to buy guns? Ok.... cool story bro
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 10/28/19
I didn't list all of the shops in FAI either. Only the ones that I frequent.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 10/28/19
And with a subject line like that I was sure this post was going to reference the Howling Dog Saloon...
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 10/28/19
Just put Wadda Dick Head on ignore.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 10/28/19
Just pleased with the guns that are flowing in.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 10/28/19
Is it a competition?
Posted By: WDH Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 10/28/19
Originally Posted by ironbender
Just put Wadda Dick Head on ignore.

Take your own advice hahaha
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 11/02/19
Fairbanks is kinda an ugly lil town in many ways

But she does have her charms

1 of those that we still have teachers that hunt, fish & believe individual effort is the main predictor of success for individuals

TK is one of the most interesting individuals you could hope to meet.

Glad my sons had a teacher like him.

Oh and there’s a few places to buy shooting irons, there’s that too
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 11/03/19
Originally Posted by 458Win
Fairbanks has always been a boom or bust town. It has had a few great gun shops over the years. When Karl was alive DownUnder was a fun shop.

There’s a name and a store I have not heard in a long time!
Posted By: KnightHawk Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 11/03/19

DownUnder was a great shop, but Karl's second, bigger shop down the street had a BS corner right up front where you could sit and have a cup of coffee as you told your lies.
Before that was Langley's on Cushman st. Dude was always fun to pester. Good family run shop. Chuck and Peacock built me a couple of rifles and worked on many more.
Was just in Iron and Wood and these guys have a nice place with decent prices. All they need is a couple of chairs and a coffee pot.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 11/03/19
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 11/04/19
Yep Ron pretty well nailed it 😂
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 11/04/19
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Yep Ron pretty well nailed it 😂

Got me laughing!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 11/04/19
He should headline the AFN convention.

Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 11/04/19
It can have gun store on every corner of town but it will still be Fairbanks, Alaska. It's what a pile of siht looks like when it's been frozen for a hundred years.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 11/04/19
He should headline the AFN convention.

LOL!
Posted By: rost495 Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 11/05/19
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
It can have gun store on every corner of town but it will still be Fairbanks, Alaska. It's what a pile of siht looks like when it's been frozen for a hundred years.

We all have our issues. Towns suck. To me. But for a town I'd rather Fairbanks all day over anchorage.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 11/05/19
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

We all have our issues. Towns suck. To me. But for a town I'd rather Fairbanks all day over anchorage.

Jeff
Thanks for reminding me why this ass hole is on ignore.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 11/05/19
LOL. Welcome. Thats where he was too, but I couldn't resist. Larry azzhole I can resist... lmao
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 12/14/19
Passed through Fairbanks years ago on a train. Sort of looked like it had been frozen for longer than 100 years!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 12/14/19
Originally Posted by rickt300
Passed through Fairbanks years ago on a train. Sort of looked like it had been frozen for longer than 100 years!

But, you're in Texas, so......
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 12/14/19
I liked Fairbanks, I don’t like Anchorage. Fairbanks had a type older charm but I love the history of Alaska and Fairbanks is the heart of it.

It helps that I’m easily impressed and my expectations are not unusually high. 😁
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 12/14/19

But, you're in Texas, so......

No reference to the previous posters "pile of [bleep]" remark just that when I went through it sure looked frozen!
Posted By: MTDan Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 12/14/19
I like fairbanks and can't wait to get back. I just PCS'd to Wainwright and started to get the lay of the land when Uncle Sam decided I needed to go somewhere far less scenic.

When do the gun shows kick off?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 12/14/19
Gotcha. Only frozen 6 or 7 months per year. You should go in June/July.
Posted By: 79S Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 12/14/19
Originally Posted by MTDan
I like fairbanks and can't wait to get back. I just PCS'd to Wainwright and started to get the lay of the land when Uncle Sam decided I needed to go somewhere far less scenic.

When do the gun shows kick off?

Rumor on the street you boys up in wainwright might get an extra $375 for being up in ft wainwright..
Posted By: MTDan Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 12/15/19
I would certainly be ok with a little extra cash!
Posted By: trapperJ Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 12/15/19
Fairbanks is a great place to get supplies before going to Alaska grin

Thanks for your service MTDan! I did some time at Ft. Ain'tright myself
Posted By: MTDan Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 12/16/19
I wasn't there long before I deployed, but ft "Ain't right" does certainly seem to ring true. I'd take it over pretty much any other duty station though. Excited to be up north again
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 12/16/19

Fairbanks is a gritty place.

But , I prefer it to Anchorage.

Anchorage does not have the charm I witnessed years ago in the many bars on 2nd Street in Fairbanks, .......Where else can you see natives frozen to the sidewalk in their own puke in front of the now closed Savoy Bar?

Been in a lot of them .

The old , long closed,Hotel downtown where the oil men hung out WAS a great place too.

Can't remember the name.
Posted By: johnn Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 08/12/20
Originally Posted by KnightHawk

DownUnder was a great shop, but Karl's second, bigger shop down the street had a BS corner right up front where you could sit and have a cup of coffee as you told your lies.
Before that was Langley's on Cushman st. Dude was always fun to pester. Good family run shop. Chuck and Peacock built me a couple of rifles and worked on many more.
Was just in Iron and Wood and these guys have a nice place with decent prices. All they need is a couple of chairs and a coffee pot.

Bill is still kickin, got some great stories, dude was a ironworker and went off the Yukon bridge during the pipeline, with his tool belt on, managed to crawl up a net hanging from a barge while everyone was looking in te water.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 08/12/20
Lest we let the gold slosh out of the pan, what's this about the Howling Dog Saloon? Enlighten me, as FBKS might be on my circuit later.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 08/12/20
They gave the red carpet from when Pope and Reagan met. Late nite volleyball.

Oh, some beers too.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 08/12/20
You might be too old and too clean, Jeff!
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 08/13/20

Maybe, but odds are again' it smile More likely I don't know squat about Fbks except the airport and a food place or 2. They surely must have a decent brewery.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 08/13/20
Lavelle's Taphouse. That may be spelled wrong....

Kind of an up town feel, but the beer is good.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 08/13/20
I just took a transfer here, myself. Been here before, even in the winter. Nice place. I can see why so many military guys retire from Wainwright or Ellison, then never leave.

Wayyyyy more and better gun shops than I had in western Wyoming, but the traffic is way worse too.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 08/14/20
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Lavelle's Taphouse. That may be spelled wrong....

Kind of an up town feel, but the beer is good.

Spelt correct.

And a LOT of them!
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 08/14/20
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I just took a transfer here, myself. Been here before, even in the winter. Nice place. I can see why so many military guys retire from Wainwright or Ellison, then never leave.

Wayyyyy more and better gun shops than I had in western Wyoming, but the traffic is way worse too.

Congrats.
Posted By: las Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 08/14/20
Looks like University Avenue is going to be Down for another year and a half- making it a total of about 4 without thru traffic? Lovely

They sure do like their traffic lights too. They allow you to stop and admire pretty much every one.

Not to mention all the other street construction going on. Why just a couple days ago they allowed me to drive about 5 miles to get to the Fred Meyer on I Airport from my son’s place on College - a distance of a mile or so

I liked it a whole lot better when I attended UAF 50 years ago. It was a nice place then. About the best I can say for it now is that it isn’t Anchorage.

But one can get out of town PDQ!
I know a fella that went to UAF about that time. He shot a moose from his dorm window. The old lower dorms. Beat eating in the cafeteria.
In fact, Larry, I bet you know Dr. Dick R. Retired geologist down here.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 08/15/20

It helps keep all but the hardiest of riff-raff out.
Posted By: 11aaguilar Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 08/16/20
I also just got orders for Wainwright and should be there around January. What range options are there up there and/or are there public land spaces that most folks go to when they want to shoot? Really excited about going up north, not so excited about the 6-month long winters ha.
Posted By: johnn Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 08/16/20
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

Maybe, but odds are again' it smile More likely I don't know squat about Fbks except the airport and a food place or 2. They surely must have a decent brewery.

Hoo Doo Brewing, Bobbie did hs homework and knows how to make beer.
Posted By: johnn Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 08/16/20
Originally Posted by 11aaguilar
I also just got orders for Wainwright and should be there around January. What range options are there up there and/or are there public land spaces that most folks go to when they want to shoot? Really excited about going up north, not so excited about the 6-month long winters ha.

South Cashman range is good for 330 yard's, was out there pretty early yesterday and a cow (moose) walked across about the 270 yd line, pretty funny, 2nd time I've seen that. If you are at WW then you may have some range options available us civies cant use.
Posted By: 79S Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 08/16/20

May god have mercy on your soul...
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 08/16/20
79s,
Back in 2002 they sent a handful of us prior service guys to Wainwright. I won't lie, I was thrilled when they told us there was no room and sent us to the 84th Engineers at Ft Rich.

No early morning PT in 30-40 below!
Originally Posted by johnn

South Cashman range is good for 330 yard's, was out there pretty early yesterday and a cow (moose) walked across about the 270 yd line, pretty funny, 2nd time I've seen that. If you are at WW then you may have some range options available us civies cant use.

Haha good to know. I'm coming from El Paso, TX where within a 20 minutes drive you're in the middle of the desert and have 1000 yds in most directions that you can safely shoot. I feel very spoiled coming from there so I'm curious to see what Alaska has to offer.
Originally Posted by 79S

May god have mercy on your soul...

I'm excited! Maybe I shouldn't be lol but I'm going up there with some good guys and I'm looking forward to the hunting and outdoors.
You are going to 1-25 SBCT aren’t you?
Originally Posted by 79S

Haha no, I'm going to 1-25 ARB in the CAB. What unit are you in there?
Originally Posted by 79S

I’m down south at ft Richardson 4-25. I just had my retirement ceremony this past Friday.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 08/17/20
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

I’m down south at ft Richardson 4-25. I just had my retirement ceremony this past Friday.

Congrats, man!
Posted By: 11aaguilar Re: Fairbanks rocks! - 08/17/20
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Congrats! Much deserved I'm sure.
© 24hourcampfire