Home
Posted By: Calvin Close Combat - 11/19/19
After spending the weekend with the fam, went out for a hunt this early AM. Last week to hunt before I head to the great land of Canada to visit the wife’s side is the family. (Toronto).

It was wet, but not as wet as it’s been. Started hiking in the dark. Worked over a pile of timber where I had killed a younger 4x4 last week. Just one doe this time. Headed over to a heavily timbered knob I have seen bucks at in the past.

Did a few doe bleats and and two does came out in the muskeg. Also heard some commotion in the thick timbered knob. The does kept looking at the same spot in the edge of timber behind a big tree which obscured my view. Was fairly certain they were looking a buck.

Took a chance and made a few grunts. Within seconds he was out of the cover. Went straight for me then the doe. Gave me a quick opportunity at a broadside shot and I put him down with a 140 Interlock out or my Kimber 6.5 Creedmoor.

Tougher pack out down steep old growth, with lots of blowdown. Pack was a tad under 90lbs when I weighed it at home.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Owl Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Congrats !
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Nice One! well done!
Posted By: WDH Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Nice buck! Got any pics of its balls?
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Nice job! Good looking buck.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
That buck looks pissed!

Getting suckered by a grunt call, then eating a 140grainer would probably rank right up there as the worst day ever.

Congrats, Calvin on a good deer. 😎
Posted By: Judman Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Dandy buck! Grats
Posted By: 44mc Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
good going Calvin
Posted By: kingston Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Great buck! Thanks for the post!

Have fun in Toronto!
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Very nice!
Posted By: AKduck Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Good buck man.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Nice buck Joel.

That 6.5 creedmore is like magic!
Posted By: VernAK Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Damn nice deer!
Posted By: Calvin Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by ironbender
Nice buck Joel.

That 6.5 creedmore is like magic!

Haha. It made a nice hole.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Btw, a Guy Cotten chinook, base of merino, with another base of kuiu peloton is not too [bleep] in the rain and hard hikes. Blows away just about anything else for waterproofness and durability. I run kuiu pants and they are ok. Don’t mind wet legs.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Great job Joel! Have fun in Canada, Eh!
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19

A 90 lb pack means a nice Deer...
Great picture.
Posted By: NMiller Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Cool double forkie!
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Gettin er done 👍🏻 Atta boy Joel, great work !
Posted By: Ready Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Is it not amusing, how easy things get once you know, what you are doing? LOL. Nice matter-of-fact-delivery. Congrats.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Good sized buck.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by Calvin
After spending the weekend with the fam, went out for a hunt this early AM. Last week to hunt before I head to the great land of Canada to visit the wife’s side is the family. (Toronto).

It was wet, but not as wet as it’s been. Started hiking in the dark. Worked over a pile of timber where I had killed a younger 4x4 last week. Just one doe this time. Headed over to a heavily timbered knob I have seen bucks at in the past.

Did a few doe bleats and and two does came out in the muskeg. Also heard some commotion in the thick timbered knob. The does kept looking at the same spot in the edge of timber behind a big tree which obscured my view. Was fairly certain they were looking a buck.

Took a chance and made a few grunts. Within seconds he was out of the cover. Went straight for me then the doe. Gave me a quick opportunity at a broadside shot and I put him down with a 140 Interlock out or my Kimber 6.5 Creedmoor.

Tougher pack out down steep old growth, with lots of blowdown. Pack was a tad under 90lbs when I weighed it at home.

Very nice!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Close Combat - 11/19/19
Club of a deer.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Close Combat - 11/20/19
Nice buck there Joel!
Those Blacktails look like some burly buggers. Are they very heavy? Getting a weight on one of those would be a bit tough I imagine.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Close Combat - 11/20/19
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Nice buck there Joel!
Those Blacktails look like some burly buggers. Are they very heavy? Getting a weight on one of those would be a bit tough I imagine.

I have had a huge number of them on a scale in the round and field dressed. Lots of difference in weights between different areas/habitat types. On Afognak or in PWS in the old growth a yearling buck runs just over 100# field-dressed. A really big buck might go 165 or so.

Out in the open on Kodiak I have seen many bucks in the 200#+ range. Yearlings are about the same as in the old growth. The fat across the rumps on these deer can be unreal.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Close Combat - 11/20/19
Nice buck there Joel.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Close Combat - 11/20/19
Nice buck there Joel!

You feel a mature one on a pack out. I rarely get one out whole as I like to kill them in the woods otherwise I would try to weigh one.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Close Combat - 11/20/19
Yeah, I was thinking of your location/style of hunting ie. backpack hunting. Lugging a scale in your pack is pretty unlikely.
Art, thanks for the information on weight. Are blacktails better eating than whitetail? Somewhere in my brain there’s a notion that it’s been said that they are better eating.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Close Combat - 11/20/19
Nice buck!!!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Close Combat - 11/20/19
Yeah, I was thinking of your location/style of hunting ie. backpack hunting. Lugging a scale in your pack is pretty unlikely.
Art, thanks for the information on weight. Are blacktails better eating than whitetail? Somewhere in my brain there’s a notion that it’s been said that they are better eating.

They are outstanding eating... they blow the best whitetails out of the water.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Close Combat - 11/21/19
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

That does it. I'm going to have to come back to Alaska and hunt those.
Time to save up some hunting trip money.
Posted By: super T Re: Close Combat - 11/21/19
I think Alaskan Blacktail is the best-looking deer in North Amerian.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Close Combat - 11/21/19
Originally Posted by super T

Gotta agree!.......If there's a better tasting deer in America, I haven't found it.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Close Combat - 11/22/19
Passed on a 3x3 today I called into 29 yards. Had a heavy 4x4 on my mind that didn’t materialize. Brutal weather.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Close Combat - 11/22/19
Nice buck, Joel!
Posted By: Jamie Re: Close Combat - 11/22/19
Way to go Joel.
One of these days I hope to hunt deer up there.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Close Combat - 11/22/19
Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by super T

Gotta agree!.......If there's a better tasting deer in America, I haven't found it.

Same here grew up eating whitetail & loved it !

Few years ago my sil & daughter put a fair amount of blacktail in our freezer, love it more. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Close Combat - 11/22/19
Awesome. Looks like a lot of fun, though the 90 lb weight on the backpack....Yikes!
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Close Combat - 11/22/19

Amping up here for next years trip. This is real incentive!!!!
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Close Combat - 11/23/19
Very nice!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Close Combat - 11/23/19
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

Ya working out? It’s not a 200 yd drag to the truck!!
Posted By: trapperJ Re: Close Combat - 11/26/19
Nice buck Joel! Was a little damp rut hunting this year huh?

With a moose and a bison in the freezer I just carried around my recurve and watched deer that I couldn't get a shot at!
Posted By: Calvin Re: Close Combat - 11/26/19
Originally Posted by trapperJ
Nice buck Joel! Was a little damp rut hunting this year huh?

With a moose and a bison in the freezer I just carried around my recurve and watched deer that I couldn't get a shot at!

I Need to get a moose next year. Rut turned out well. My Buddy and I both got 2 4x4s each. Passed on some nice bucks too. Probably still going but currently am visiting in-laws.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Close Combat - 12/06/19
Congratulations. Nice Blacktail Buck.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Close Combat - 12/07/19
Venison is not my favorite meat but there’s nothing like a fat Sitka BT for eating. I’ve shot lots of whitetail, mule deer and Colombian Blacktail like we have here but even they don’t compare to the Southeast AK Sitka BT. I’ve not had one from Kodiak.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Close Combat - 12/07/19
Congrats
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Close Combat - 12/07/19
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

Ya working out? It’s not a 200 yd drag to the truck!!

You’re not kidding ., 90 lb pack in steep ,rugged terrain !
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Close Combat - 12/13/19
Great Buck congratulations
© 24hourcampfire