Home
Posted By: Sitka deer Honking Out There!!!!!!!!!! - 11/28/19
Strange night so far. Riley called me a while back and he was watching transformers blow in the area of DeArmond and New Seward. Three or four in quick progression and instantly dark neighborhoods.

Trying to smoke some turkeys and the folks below me lose power (regular occurrence for them- overhead lines) and it gets really dark outside! Suddenly I see a bunch of kids headed down the hill, single file. It seemed strange to see them in a storm like this and walking a bit weird. That was when it hit me they were not kids. Three bull moose, maybe 50, easy 50, and 60 were walking single file down the middle of the road. The little light available reflecting off puddles was playing some wild games!

"Kids" disappeared and I went back to making a bucket of gravy.
Posted By: WDH Re: Honking Out There!!!!!!!!!! - 11/28/19
Happy Thanksgiving!!
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Honking Out There!!!!!!!!!! - 11/28/19
Probably blowing 40 at the house and 70 at the tree tops. Happy Thanksgiving indeed.
Posted By: Nykki Re: Honking Out There!!!!!!!!!! - 11/28/19
I'm just above Hillside on Upper DeArmoun wind has been blowing 50 gusting 70-80 at times. Power hasn't gone out here but it's buried up here. Happy Thanksgiving
Originally Posted by Nykki
I'm just above Hillside on Upper DeArmoun wind has been blowing 50 gusting 70-80 at times. Power hasn't gone out here but it's buried up here. Happy Thanksgiving

Yup, I believe we call it Wednesday.

wink
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Honking Out There!!!!!!!!!! - 11/28/19

Yeah, word has it that she's gonna blow like this till 5:00 a.m.

We lost juice for a couple hours but unlike you I didn't see any moose walking down my street....

smile

Happy Thanksgiving
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Honking Out There!!!!!!!!!! - 11/28/19
Originally Posted by Nykki

Heard you had a 112 mph gust.

That's fast enough to fly a pretty good size plane, even if its tied down.

Picked a perfect day to buy metal roofing ridge cap, but I got it indoors without getting airborne.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Honking Out There!!!!!!!!!! - 11/28/19
112 starts destroying things. Stay safe guys. We have had some blows this year, but nothing major yet.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Honking Out There!!!!!!!!!! - 11/28/19
Any homeless camps on the hillside?
Not anymore! 😀

Blown down mid-town area now...
Originally Posted by Calvin
112 starts destroying things. Stay safe guys. We have had some blows this year, but nothing major yet.

100+ gusts are a semi regular occurrence during big wind storms up on the hillside. We had a 150+ gust a few years back. Early morning hours. Shook the house so much I woke up initially thinking it was an earthquake!
No major damage. Some neighbors lost a few shingles. And a fairly large trampoline was along Hillside drive, from one of the streets above it.
Couldn't find a record of the wind event I mentioned. Second guessing my recollection of the number. Thinking it may have been closer to 135ish. Still pretty damn strong! Reported to have been at the top of recording limits for the equipment.
Wind gusts up here down below they call them hurricanes!

Happy Thanksgiving.
No wind here on the KP. Just some giant cow pissing on a flat rock.

Couple inches of snow yesterday, turned to that lovely winter mix, then flat out rain.

Just freakin wonderful.
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Wind gusts up here down below they call them hurricanes!

Happy Thanksgiving.

Not here, around here we call that a gentle breeze.
We lost power for about and hour and a half, which gave me time to test out our new generator and switch setup on our house and it worked great. As an aside, we got close to 5 feet of snow at our cabin in 2 days and the Parks was shut down at MP 170ish.
© 24hourcampfire