Home
Posted By: 1Akshooter Hey hunters - 01/23/20
Who of you dial turrets on your Alaskan big game hunts and who uses reticle hold over, like on "set & forget scopes"? No good or bad here, just curious.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Hey hunters - 01/23/20
I use turrets. SWFA fixed 6 and 10 power, and 3-9.

Previously used the Leupold 3.5-10 and 6X42 with M1s quite a bit.
Posted By: las Re: Hey hunters - 01/24/20
I don't own any turret scopes. Don't need them, and keep my shooting to no more than 500 yards.
Posted By: saskfox Re: Hey hunters - 01/24/20
Originally Posted by las
I don't own any turret scopes. Don't need them, and keep my shooting to no more than 500 yards.

Same here only 450 yards and a good fixed power scope.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Hey hunters - 01/24/20
Iron sites here, 100 yards and under.
I like to get to know the animals I shoot first.
My main goto firearms for Alaska are a Ruger #1 375 H&H Mag for Moose and Bears, the AR covers everything else.

[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]
[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Hey hunters - 01/24/20
I have one rifle equipped with a Leupold CDS but have not used it in about five years, so that's how excited I tend to get for dialing. I like to get closer generally and can't think of a time I failed to get an animal due to this philosophy. I'm also not hunting sheep or caribou where I live so it's easy for me to think that way. Three out of four of my most used rifles have Talley QDs with back up peep sights. I end up using the peeps for about half the stuff I kill.
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Hey hunters - 01/24/20
I've never hunted hay.....
Posted By: rost495 Re: Hey hunters - 01/24/20
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Who of you dial turrets on your Alaskan big game hunts and who uses reticle hold over, like on "set & forget scopes"? No good or bad here, just curious.

Yes.
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Hey hunters - 01/26/20
Both.

Nightforce nxs 2.5-10
SWFA 3-9 (I think I have 3 of these)
Nightforce 4-14f1

Leupold vx3i (a few different ones, 1.5-5, 3.5-8 etc)
Meopta meopro 3-9
Nightforce shv 3-10

I’m probably missing a few but like I said, I use both.
Posted By: Biebs Re: Hey hunters - 01/26/20
I'm with the "set and forget" crowd. If I need to be concerned with dialing in range adjustments, I'm not really "hunting".
Posted By: rost495 Re: Hey hunters - 01/27/20
Originally Posted by Biebs
I'm with the "set and forget" crowd. If I need to be concerned with dialing in range adjustments, I'm not really "hunting".

What is hunting ? Sounds like you have a "real" definition.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Hey hunters - 01/30/20
Originally Posted by rost495

What is hunting ? Sounds like you have a "real" definition.

Jeff it sounds to me like he has the “definition “ for him not everybody. But I could be wrong.

Word of caution dialing dope is fun & addictive
Posted By: rost495 Re: Hey hunters - 01/30/20
Both. Yes.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Hey hunters - 01/31/20

Where and what do you hunt?
Posted By: AKduck Re: Hey hunters - 01/31/20
Set and forget for me.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Hey hunters - 01/31/20
Thus far turrets on a sample of one (1) critter.
Posted By: OAM Re: Hey hunters - 01/31/20
Originally Posted by las

This
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Hey hunters - 01/31/20
Originally Posted by OAM
Originally Posted by las

This
Same here.
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: Hey hunters - 02/01/20
Never dialed a scope, never will.
I like to hunt.
Posted By: raghorn Re: Hey hunters - 02/01/20
I’m always prepared to dial when needed.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: Hey hunters - 02/01/20
Some of these scopes with the big tactical dials impede carry at the balance point of the rifle. They bite into your wrist. They also catch on things. The lower profile the scope caps, the better. So far the lowest profile caps I've witnessed, are on the leupold ultralight 2.5x. That is one heck of a scope.

Somehow, sniper wannabes and match shooters have influenced the hunting rifle. Devolving from sleek, to stupid.
Posted By: jrypka Re: Hey hunters - 02/03/20
Set and forget with VX3 2.5-8 and Conquest 3-9. Duplex.
Posted By: 907brass Re: Hey hunters - 02/07/20
I have the intention to use my fancy dial on my vx-5 but everything I've encountered since getting that setup has been within 150 yards.
But maybe I will use the turret someday. It's there and I practice with it.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: Hey hunters - 02/07/20
I have used set and forget scopes for 50 years.
As I have stumbled through life with fewer brain cells than most of you, I have judged myself as nowhere near smart enough to deal with turrets.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Hey hunters - 02/07/20
I can use the knobs on the non target conquest pretty easy.

But dialing makes more sense than guessing. Unless one has dots and knows how to use them. I"m good with that to a point, though I often wonder if a plain crosshair setup is better in a crunch that you don't use the wrong mark. But up close it likely would not matter. Hmm a good test to run maybe.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Hey hunters - 02/07/20
Nothing new under the sun....its just coming around again, started with variable Power scopes, remember? Lots of lost opportunity for trophies by guys walking around with scopes on 9x or higher! Then the mad scramble to lower it to 3x, then getting back on target, sheesh. All the time hunting in areas where a 150yds shot would be a long one! Now, some people forget to "return their" dials back to wherever they started...its another form of Conservation...not many critters killed! ha
Posted By: VernAK Re: Hey hunters - 02/07/20
Hard to beat a good receiver sight!
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Hey hunters - 02/07/20
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Never dialed a scope, never will.
I like to hunt.

This made me laugh...Thanks! 😎
Posted By: castnblast Re: Hey hunters - 02/07/20
When hunting large game, I don't dial, if an animal is too far away for set and forget scope adjustments, it's too far away for me to shoot. I prefer to stalk closer. I have never found a need to shoot at a distance greater than 350 yards or so. I have a couple of quick adjustable turret scopes, and always seem to be worried about them turning accidentally. Much prefer low, capped turrets.
© 24hourcampfire