Home
Posted By: bobski usps rates to ak? - 02/11/20
is the usps medium flat rate box the same flat rate to ak, as it is in the lower 48? a guy wants me to send him some hulls and I quoted him the cost of the flat rate box here in va..
Posted By: JeffA Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/11/20
Same $, just might take a little longer
Posted By: bobski Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/11/20
perfect. thanks!
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/11/20
Add an extra day, we ship almost everything via flat rate USPS.
Posted By: mart Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/11/20
Flat rate is the same price in all 50 states. To and from is usually 3 days.
Posted By: VernAK Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/11/20
If in the Delta area, add three weeks.
Posted By: JeffA Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/11/20
Checking that tracking number to see how far it didn't make it again helps burn those long winter days....
Posted By: ironbender Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by VernAK

🤣
Posted By: watch4bear Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by JeffA
Same $, just might take a little longer

They get here in 3 days tops
Posted By: kid0917 Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/11/20
lol, it really DOES take 3 weeks to get to Point Hope. after taking 3 days to get to ANC.
Posted By: VernAK Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/11/20
Some Delta mail also takes three weeks.
Seniors and Vets awaiting meds via USPS are having problems.
Posted By: John_Havard Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/12/20
Hey movie star Vern - just saw you and your buds on the two-part "Bonehunter" series. You guys did indeed have a wonderful 2019!
Posted By: DryPowder Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/12/20
Just a PSA from someone who ran the dock in a seasonal mail facility. If your sending bullets or cases, put them in at least one GOOD trash bag and tie the top in a knot before putting them in the box.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/12/20
OK want to see Bonehunter Series please post link.
Posted By: rost495 Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/12/20
Originally Posted by VernAK

actually generally have not had that bad a time in Delta area. priority left Delta Friday got to my wife the following Tuesday.

Of course I've not been in the area that long so.... but over a number of years sending back and forth from TX to Delta and vice versa seems rarely longer than 5-7 days. Unless maybe weather is extreme.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/12/20
My flat rate stuff goes well, even to Kodiak
But yes, extra day or two.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/12/20
Originally Posted by DryPowder
Just a PSA from someone who ran the dock in a seasonal mail facility. If your sending bullets or cases, put them in at least one GOOD trash bag and tie the top in a knot before putting them in the box.

Vacuum sealing them also works pretty good.
Posted By: VernAK Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/12/20
Originally Posted by John_Havard
Hey movie star Vern - just saw you and your buds on the two-part "Bonehunter" series. You guys did indeed have a wonderful 2019!

Good Morning John!

We had a good time but the caribou herd was just moving in as we left. I'll send you a couple pics of the ones that walked away.

KK.......Check the Bone Collector web site for times. Second half will show again on Friday I believe.

Rost, ....Yes some mail works and some doesn't. My Passport arrived in 3 days from East Coast WTH? Xmas cards mailed
to local address before Xmas arrived last week..
Posted By: mudhen Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/12/20
My stepson spent a couple of years working at Chena Hot Springs, about 60 miles east of Fairbanks. I mailed him guns and other items fairly regularly. Like others have said, it all just took about one extra day to get there. On the other hand, ammo and other things that USPS would not accept, usually went UPS. Their delivery times were a crapshoot, but almost always one to several days longer than USPS (that is if they didn't lose the shipment--something that happened with irritating regularity.}
Posted By: DryPowder Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Originally Posted by DryPowder

Vacuum sealing them also works pretty good.

Even better.

I'm just speaking for what we done but all our mail going to Alaska would go in a Gaylord box that was about 6 feet tall. So worst case scenario, your package dropped 6 feet or thrown like a basketball and landed most of the time in the Gaylord. Then the entire Gaylord was loaded in the same fashion, all landing on top of your package until the container was full.

This is why loose bullets and cases are vulnerable. If the box lands on it's corner or another box hits it right, it's going to leak if they are not bagged.
Posted By: John_Havard Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/13/20
Vern, we were absolutely inundated by caribou toward the end of our hunt. We actually called it quits since we couldn't see anything but caribou for 4 days. At any moment of the day for 4 days every where we looked we could count anywhere from 400-500 caribou without even trying! I'd guess if we were actually wanting to count caribou we could have counted a couple thousand at any moment during those 4 days, Since we were a few miles north of you we probably got into them a day or so earlier than you did. I wish we had been after caribou instead of moose!
Posted By: atvalaska Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/14/20
Ups to nenana ....add a month..... then check with the ups driver at work , to fine out that T anD delivery has it ! But never deliverd it ..then u call them ...then YOU go get it from TanD on vanhorn the next day ...dammmmit!
Posted By: VernAK Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/14/20
Fedex and UPS frequently turn over packages to USPS Anchorage and all tracking is lost.

Fedex and UPS tell their shippers that they deliver to rural Alaska.....not often so!
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: usps rates to ak? - 02/14/20
When I was living in Bettles, I did everything by priority mail and flat rate. About 2/3 of the Amazon things I tried to order wouldn't ship there, but quite a few did. Can't remember a day I didn't see at least 1 Amazon prime box come in on the mail plane.
© 24hourcampfire