Home
Posted By: Calvin Testing testing.... - 05/30/20
Can people even get tested so they can travel to go fishing?
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Testing testing.... - 05/30/20
You can certainly get tested. Although I don't know if that has any bearing on whether you get to travel or go fishing.

I got tested a while back, because I got to go to the hospital to get treated for shingles. My timing is as good as ever.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Testing testing.... - 05/30/20
Should add that there is more than one test. The covid test, and the antibody test, which would tell you if you have already had it.
Posted By: dedity Re: Testing testing.... - 05/30/20
Originally Posted by Calvin
Can people even get tested so they can travel to go fishing?

Pretty tough to get tested here in Idaho, in fact if you ain't real sick you will not get tested.

That new order that out of state travelers must have a Covid test within 72 hours of boarding a plane to AK that Dunleavy issued last night probably will be just as effective as a 14 day quarantine to keep folks from traveling there.

It certainly has been a challenge trying to keep our trip up on track, my flights have changed 4 times in the last month, now we are getting in to late to pick up the motorhome that has cost us a day on the front end of the trip, and the flight change to return home has cost us a day at the tail end of the trip as well.

No doubt I probably would of bagged it this year but I have a very close friend up there that took us all under his wing many years ago he is in poor health and this is quite possibly the last year he will be able to spend any time outdoors.
I would like to be there to be a part of it and express my appreciation and gratitude to the old timer.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Testing testing.... - 05/30/20
That’s that the issue is that I see. In major cities you probably can get a test but anyone in a more rural area is going to have a hard time.
Posted By: las Re: Testing testing.... - 05/30/20
I heard on radio yesterday that Alaska per capita testing is in the top 5 or 6 states. So presumably it should not be a problem in any place of reasonable facilities.
The issue will be people being able to get tested 72 hours, and getting a result before getting on the plane to Alaska.
Posted By: CRS Re: Testing testing.... - 05/30/20
Correct, test results are taking 3 to 7 business days here in South Dakota where I am at.

So does the test has to be done within 72 hours or results back?

That is my dilemma as we were to leave Monday. Quarantine overnight as it was set to expire 6.2.

I think I am toast.
Quarantine will not be lifted until the 5th of June.
And yes you will need to have a Covid test with in 72 hours of boarding plane as well as have the printed results to board plane.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/202...-they-be-tested-before-flying-to-alaska/
State of Alaska is really screwing this one up. Sorry guys.
State of Alaska is really screwing this one up. Sorry guys.

Not making it up this year will surely be a bummer, and man am I gonna miss having a freezer full of Reds and Halibut if I'm not able to go.
I'm not scheduled to fly out until the 12th so I still have hope that something will change again for the better.

But it wont affect my livelihood in the least if I don't make it, I sure hope some how you, and all the other charters, guides,, fish freezers, tackle shops, stores, etc,etc….. find a way to make it through this mess with your business's intact.

Good luck Calvin, sending good vibes up that way for sure.
Posted By: CRS Re: Testing testing.... - 05/30/20
There is a 15 minute rapid test, but criteria must be met. I do not think travel to Alaska is included.
I have talked to all my June clients and they think they can get tested. Have pushed my start back to June 9 though.

It will be nice to get this party started. Hopefully everyone can make it.
Posted By: CRS Re: Testing testing.... - 05/31/20
In the process of changing flights from 1st to 5th. Will find out Tues if I can get the rapid test for me and my son.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Testing testing.... - 05/31/20
Forces are pushing hard to get it from 3 days to 5 days. We will see if the .gov listens. Also need the cdc to ok testing for people without symptoms.

Gov didn’t think this one through well
Posted By: 1minute Re: Testing testing.... - 05/31/20
Testing and a negative response are no guarantee one won't come down with it tomorrow.
Posted By: CRS Re: Testing testing.... - 06/01/20
You are correct, but since a lot of transmission occurs with asymptomatic persons, it will certainly help with the spread.

This virus is going to be around, for the near future. All the measures have allowed healthcare the time to better prepare for this virus.
Posted By: CRS Re: Testing testing.... - 06/06/20
In a whirlwind of a week. My son and I find ourselves sitting in Juneau this morning preparing to take the next leg of our journey.

Airport was not an issue, showed our negative covid test, were told to quarantine until 11:55pm last night. Was asked to fill out the covid mandatory declaration online, but the link was down after checking numerous times.

Flights were 25 to 50 percent full.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Testing testing.... - 06/06/20
Nice. Have fun on your trip
Posted By: NE_Hunter Re: Testing testing.... - 06/09/20
Its not worth it. I would much rather the state government simply would say f*** you to all the out of state visitors and to those Alaskan citizens who are directly or indirectly dependent on the recreation industry. It would be more honest that way. Instead they are pretending to be open. We are coming from New England and had a fishing trip scheduled for later this month. We are going to cancel. The three day turnaround is a joke even if we could get tested on demand. To wait until we get there to get tested means we have to sit in hotel looking at four walls for a couple of days waiting for test results. Of course, there is always the risk that someone on the plane tests positive forcing us into quarantine for a couple of weeks. And they expect us to pay for all of this with a smile on our faces. We love Alaska and go most years. But not this year. Between the extra effort and costs to say nothing of potential the whole thing being a waste of time, it is not worth it. I hope the Alaskan economy recovers but I suspect the damage of the virus and more importantly damage done by idiotic state governments (Alaska is not unique in this regard) will be felt for many years.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Testing testing.... - 06/10/20
That’s that the issue is that I see. In major cities you probably can get a test but anyone in a more rural area is going to have a hard time.

Nope. Our clinic does the test as well as rest of the clinics in the region. I was one of the poor bastids that was marooned by the Tustumena this weekend. Got a test and the results within an hour after my flight touched down.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Testing testing.... - 06/10/20
I have a fishing trip scheduled with King Fisher Lodge. Because of the Governors orders there is no way to go. My son and I would have to get tested within 3 days of the trip. The turn around time for Central MT is 3 days so we wouldn't know the results until getting on the plane. If by chance we came up positive we would by kicked off the plane or not let into Alaska. If we weren't tested we would have to quarantine in Alaska for 14 days. I haven't cancelled yet in the hope common sense and new science will get things changed but am about to.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Testing testing.... - 06/10/20
Testing will only screen the infected does nothing to ensure that you were not infected on your plane ride. Our numbers here have spiked considerably. 20 new cases today.

My Cousin who has lived in Haines AK since early 70,s was life-flighted to Anchorage due to a stroke, now due to CRV-19 no visitors unless he is 24hrs terminal! His wife or no one can visit him.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Testing testing.... - 06/10/20
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I have a fishing trip scheduled with King Fisher Lodge. Because of the Governors orders there is no way to go. My son and I would have to get tested within 3 days of the trip. The turn around time for Central MT is 3 days so we wouldn't know the results until getting on the plane. If by chance we came up positive we would by kicked off the plane or not let into Alaska. If we weren't tested we would have to quarantine in Alaska for 14 days. I haven't cancelled yet in the hope common sense and new science will get things changed but am about to.

In Craig or Sitka?
Posted By: Calvin Re: Testing testing.... - 06/10/20
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Nope. Our clinic does the test as well as rest of the clinics in the region. I was one of the poor bastids that was marooned by the Tustumena this weekend. Got a test and the results within an hour after my flight touched down.

That’s not what I was talking about
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Testing testing.... - 06/11/20
Originally Posted by stevelyn

You are not alone...
I gave a chainsaw to a marooned Tustamena passenger and the next thing I knew I was having my ass worked right off...

Yards of chipped birch...
Posted By: ironbender Re: Testing testing.... - 06/11/20
Not used to work? wink
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Testing testing.... - 06/12/20
Rented mule comes to mind...
© 24hourcampfire