Home
Posted By: nmitchell Best Cosmoline removal - 08/04/20
Is boiling water the best method?
Or is mineral spirits better?

Thanks

Neil
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Best Cosmoline removal - 08/04/20
I used mineral spirits to take it off my lathe and mill.

Not 100% sure it was cosmoline, but it was a lot like it.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Best Cosmoline removal - 08/04/20
I've had good luck using boiling water. I put some small parts in an old loaf pan and poured the water on it and let it sit. I haven't tried acetone but it may do a good job.
Simple Green and a brush
Posted By: old70 Re: Best Cosmoline removal - 08/04/20
Found a degreaser called ‘Purple Power’ or similar at Lowe’s I think. Did a great job with some CMP guns I had. Hour or so soak, a little shake and some wiping did the job. Maybe two applications for the stubborn stuff. Not sure it’s still available.

Old70
Posted By: ClarkEMyers Re: Best Cosmoline removal - 08/28/20
Vapor degreaser in a machine shop. Not sure but what they have been banned as polluting but far and away the best job with the least effort. Then again I wouldn't stand over one breathing the fumes myself.
Posted By: shaman Re: Best Cosmoline removal - 08/28/20
Boiling water is the cheapest way. If I was working on something like a handgun or a trigger group, that would be the way I'd do it.

I've used Ed's Red. If you look at the components (Kerosene, ATP, Acetone, Mineral Oil) it's got pretty much all you need. If I remember correctly, I started out with straight Kerosene and got the worst of it off, and then switched to Ed for the finish.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Best Cosmoline removal - 08/28/20

Mineral spirits.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Best Cosmoline removal - 08/28/20
Heat gun and any solvent or hot soapy water.
Maybe all of that, but elbow grease is the main cleaning ingredient.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Best Cosmoline removal - 08/29/20

With large applications of patience, thoroughness and a small toothbrush or equivalent.
Yep, because Cosmoline was designed to get onto everything and protect it. laugh
Posted By: JustLucky Re: Best Cosmoline removal - 08/29/20
Will one of those steam machines work? They shoot a concentrated stream of steam. As shown on tv commercials?
It would get most, but not all of the metal build up. I would be cautious about using it on wood however.
© 24hourcampfire