Home
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Pursuit of Perfection - 08/11/20
There is just way too much common sense in that article. Thank you for putting that out there.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Pursuit of Perfection - 08/11/20
I've come to the conclusion that today's perfect rifle could very well become tomorrow's trade bait. But that won't stop me from looking for it. smile
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Pursuit of Perfection - 08/11/20
Oldelkhunter,

Glad you enjoyed it! But I don't always follow my own "common sense"....
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Pursuit of Perfection - 08/11/20
Einstein's common sense was different than mine. I suspect I have more fun.

grin
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Pursuit of Perfection - 08/11/20
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Oldelkhunter,

Glad you enjoyed it! But I don't always follow my own "common sense"....

Hence the term: Rifle "Looney". laugh
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pursuit of Perfection - 08/12/20
I have achieved perfection many times in hunting rifles...

but I always sell them off and continue looking....
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Pursuit of Perfection - 08/12/20
I’m almost at perfection with my current 280. We’ll see what happens.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Pursuit of Perfection - 08/12/20
I`ve hit "perfection" with my 700 06, shooting 168 Bergers over IMR 4350, and RL-19. Factory barrel, following Berger suggestions on seat depth, tweeked a bit. Both powders shoot to the same POA at 100. 3 shots touching. 4350 gives a bit more velocity. Perfect. No, it`s not for sale..
Posted By: Hookset Re: Pursuit of Perfection - 08/12/20
I’m almost there with my latest “perfect” rifle. It’s a Fieldcraft 6.5x55 and it shoots Hornady 129 Spire Points over StaBall 6.5 into ridiculously small groups at around 2850 fps. I just need the LOP shortened by about 1/2” and it will be there.

I also have a stainless Howa 6.5 Creedmoor that I bedded into an Alpine stock that shoots Hornady Whitetail factory loads with the same bullet pretty darn well. It’s almost too easy.

Either of these would be more than sufficient for just about any deer hunting I can imagine. But, you know..,
Posted By: DropTyne Re: Pursuit of Perfection - 08/12/20
Perfection would not be all that difficult to obtain if it wasn't constantly changing with my age and experience. 🤣

Great article, MD!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Pursuit of Perfection - 08/13/20
Thanks!

Several years ago I did an article for RIFLE titled "Rifles That Stuck," a list of my rifles that had been around for at least a decade. I did NOT call them perfect rifles, but being around that long suggested they were at least pretty good for their purpose. Since then I've sold four of them.
Posted By: pathfinder76 Re: Pursuit of Perfection - 08/13/20
This is why I find vitriol around “high end” custom rifles pretty amusing. Usually they guys spewing it have gone through more rebarrelled unused rifles amassing a larger bill in the process.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Pursuit of Perfection - 08/14/20
There is no perfection in either rifles or shotguns especially when looking for a perfect grouse gun. They don't exist, it's a myth to support the addition of another gun.. My last perfect rifle was a custom High Wall in 38/55 the one before that a Mannlicher stocked 6.5X55 the next one is going to be a custom #1 in 300 H&H. None are or ever will be perfect because the perfect gun is always the next one.
Enjoyable read.
All the way until the tab closed itself..
It felt like it was wrapping up though..
I don't bubble up to the front page often enough...

Sometimes the chase (pursuit) is the best part...
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Pursuit of Perfection - 09/02/20
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

Sometimes the chase (pursuit) is the best part...

Well, yeah....
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Pursuit of Perfection - 09/02/20
One just needs something to do sometimes.

It can't be all bad...Can it? whistle
No, it's the center of rifle-loony existence!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Pursuit of Perfection - 09/02/20
MD, I got a 150 year old rifle I’ll sell you. Includes a scope from that era too. And a can of BP. It’s a .50 caliber under hammer.
I might be interested!

Then again, I might not. Already have a 154-year-old .50 caliber cartridge rifle. (But not a scope from that era....)
Oh. Your train got to Perfection before mine I reckon. frown
The scope interests me most!
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Pursuit of Perfection - 09/02/20
The next perfect rifle would be a #1 in 35 Whelen and the 300 H&H isn't even finished yet!!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The scope interests me most!

Well, here's the package. It was good enough for 2d place in a 100 match out in Cody, June '71. Might have done better but I wasn't used to those Wyoming breezes.
Made by a fellow named David H. Hilliard in Cornish, NH. I don't know he made the scope; in fact I doubt it, but it is period correct.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Some of that style of scope/gun reflected here, obviously in used by some rag tag bunch of miscreants. They have no class as all their rifles are sidelocks.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire