Home
John,

I just received my copy of Sports Afield. I really enjoyed your article. I am leaning more and more toward Practicality.

Keep up the good work
Glad you liked it!

One of the nice things about working for SA is their high-quality paper, which allows photos of firearms with plenty of detail.
Did someone demand a royalty for using the word "Panache" in the title?
No--but if he had there would have been no panache.

The title was not actually mine--which happens frequently with some magazines far more often than others. Consequently I don't try to anticipate editors, instead titling articles very basically, letting the editors do that they want. In this instance my title was, as I recall, "Tradition and Practicality." But Diana Rupp distilled the essence very well--as a good editor does.

Part of the deal, of course, is that editors may end up with too many articles in the same issue with similar, simple titles--which writers can't anticipate. I know this from having been the head editor of three magazines.
"Panache?!" I thought it was pancake! I guess I'll have to pass on the article as I thought Eileen had some recipes in it. I could go for some killer pancakes...
I also enjoyed the article very much. Also noted that, as usual, you practice what you preach, ie. the 2 Burris FF2 3-9 scopes mounted on your favorite traveling rifles!
Another example of Practicality before Panache, perhaps ??? smile
Wish the bastards would hurry up with my subscription. Paid two months ago. Better than Wolfe, I suppose. Paid last month, my first copy of RIFLE will be November.
Mule deer another good read ! have you heard any bullet company making better and heavier grained 25 caliber target bullets yet ? i heard kinda Berger might be ? would you happen to have Berger`s phone number i can not find it ? P.M. me thank you,Pete53
Not Mule Deer, but the Berger bullets website lists 660-440-2802 as the phone number for tech support questions.
thank you much for the phone number ,Pete53 but now this is the # 660 460 2802 ,also i just got off the phone with Berger they are still thinking about making a heavier grained 25 caliber bullet .
I always seem to head to John's articles before the others, regardless of which magazine they're in. Common sense in them, with just enough of the looney to spice them up.
Funny, the older I get the more practical I find the cartridges and rifles that also have a certain panache!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
No--but if he had there would have been no panache.

The title was not actually mine--which happens frequently with some magazines far more often than others. Consequently I don't try to anticipate editors, instead titling articles very basically, letting the editors do that they want. In this instance my title was, as I recall, "Tradition and Practicality." But Diana Rupp distilled the essence very well--as a good editor does.

Part of the deal, of course, is that editors may end up with too many articles in the same issue with similar, simple titles--which writers can't anticipate. I know this from having been the head editor of three magazines.

John, I really enjoy the inside glimpses you give us into your profession. Thank you.
Paul,

Thanks. I sometimes wonder how much "insight" readers are interested in.

Professional writing, like most professions, is always a learning curve. Have learned a lot over the decades from my experience with a lot of magazine (and book) editors, and also from my own experience as a magazine editor.

One of the best parts of being and editor was seeing what showed up, whether in the mailbox or e-mail box, from a bunch of different writers. It was kind of like unwrapping Christmas presents! Some were the equivalent of a pair of socks, but others were astonishing pleasures to read.
I like to blend a little panache with practicality. I like the the panache of a custom rifle and the practicality of the the older cartridges. I once drank the Creedmore Kool Aid and sold the rifle to fund a 6.5X55 build. My smith is currently tricking out a Ruger #1 action for a build in 300 H&H. I'll admit to being a big fan of the 7X57 with three rifles so chambered. My version of an English stalking rifle is marked 275 Rigby just for the panache of it. LOL
Really enjoyed the article.

I have a mix of both. 222 vs 22-250
6.5 creed vs 6.5x55
30-06 vs 300 H&H
Mix of wood blue, synthetic cerakote and combinations of both.
I didn't read the article but gather it was about practical over panache. Funny. I'm revamping my 30-06 for duty this fall <G>
There’s no reason a fella can’t be practical with panache. Newest cartridge in my inventory other than the .30 Sneezer is over 60 years of age. Almost broke in.
Originally Posted by bwinters
I didn't read the article but gather it was about practical over panache. Funny. I'm revamping my 30-06 for duty this fall <G>

Nope, it WASN'T about practical "over" panache--or panache "over" practical. It was about both kinds of big game rifles--and I happen to own and hunt with a bunch of both, as do many of my friends.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
There’s no reason a fella can’t be practical with panache. Newest cartridge in my inventory other than the .30 Sneezer is over 60 years of age. Almost broke in.

Exactamundo!

My choice for big game is a .275 Rigby...it has both panache and practicality!
Tom,

You're not going far enough. If you want even more panache and practicality you need a drilling with a 7x57R barrel....
Well, I did sell my .405/16 ga cape gun awhile back. But my flinter is kinda slinky.
I think my newly acquired Rem model 30 Express .405 custom might qualify as panache however we have no Rhinos loose here in Kneebraskee so maybe not so practical..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
frown

[Linked Image from y.yarn.co]

Somehow I feel compelled to comment on this again, partly because I first started posting on the Campfire almost 20 years ago, after "lurking" for a few months.

Have told this story before, but what took me over the edge was a very positive comment on one of my articles in what was then the "Ask Ken Howell" forum, since Ken was the only gun writer regularly posting here.

The poster summed up my article in a 2-3 sentences, whereupon a bunch people posted that I was FOS. I eventually felt compelled to make my first post, stating why they were FOS--due to assuming what the article was all about despite never reading it.

Which is one reason the forum's name was eventually changed to "Ask The Gun Writers," since there were two of us. Since then Ken passed away other writers have taken part, including Jon Sundra and Wayne van Zwoll. (It was also soon decided that anybody would comment, especially since writing about guns on the Campfire makes everybody a gun writer.)

That said, apparently many folks are still very willing to make assumptions about articles they've never read--as you just demonstrated.. This seems a little odd to me, but then the Internet is often a very odd way to "communicate."
John,

Having authored more than a few peer reviewed articles myself, I can understand the sentiment. I posted a conscience stream of thought because I've been moving to the practical side of the spectrum and was relating to that side of the article title. I'm not sure my 2 sentence reply constitutes a summary of your article as much as relating to a part of the title. I apologize for posting a misguided thought.
I see as hunters/shooters get older they move toward panache and away from guns like the LEGO 700 series. It becomes less and less about the kill but more about the overall experience. A nice classic rifle like a FN-98 in 275 Rigby, fits in well at this time in a hunter's life. This has been my own personal experience. Less plastic magnums in the safe and more walnut.

Saying that, I do have one rifle that is pure practical. It's a beater blued 700 with 24" SS SPS 30-06 bbl re-chambered to Super 30 in a scabby Brown Precision. It's kind of a blend of panache in the chambering while being total 100% practical in form. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
John, I really enjoy the inside glimpses you give us into your profession. Thank you.

^^ Indeed ^^
bwinters,

Thanks for the clarification on your take on the article--before you read it. No need to apologize, as I understand how we can project our own tendencies into reading anything!

Here's a photo of the last 4 rifles I've purchased and/or traded for:

[Linked Image]

From the top:
Sauer drilling, 16x16x7x57R, with a 1.5-6x Zeiss Diavari scope.
1903-03 Springfield, made by Remington in 1942, apparently all original. (Thethe sling may not be.)
Ruger Hawkeye African, .275 Rigby.
BSA Martini Model 12, a .22 rimfire converted to .22 Hornet.

You can see my recent tendencies, but I still occasionally buy (or "build') a practical hunting rifle, even though between my New Ultra Light ARMS .30-06 and Whitworth .375 H&H (which has both a walnut and synthetic stock), along with a few others, am pretty well outfitted for practicality anywhere in the world.

Nice selection.
Very nice!

I have been more than mildly curious with the 275 Rigby given my proclivities to the 280 Rem through the last 35+ years. I've owned a couple 7x57 and think they make ideal medium game cartridges despite Mr. Bell's usage. I've threatened to build one for a while. I'd prefer it stamped 275 Rigby, gives it a bit more panache......
Jack O'Connor once wrote that the 7x57 is useful on North American big game from javelina to moose.( Do not remember him writing about using a 7x57 on moose, but he did on javelina, and maybe Eleanor shot a moose with one.) That's exactly the range of North American big game I've taken with the 7x57, and in Africa a bunch of "plains game" from springbok and impala to kudu and wildebeest. Don't know if any of them felt they died with more panache, but they all died pretty quickly.
Practical and a small degree of panache as I just picked up a Remington 700 classic is 300 Savage. It's a good fit with the other classic in 250 Savage.
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Practical and a small degree of panache as I just picked up a Remington 700 classic is 300 Savage. It's a good fit with the other classic in 250 Savage.

That's the pair I have. Love them both.
Tom,

You're not going far enough. If you want even more panache and practicality you need a drilling with a 7x57R barrel....

I'm jealous. That LW Dural drilling with the perfect scope and chambers, all three barrels, is about as nice as they come. cool
Bruce,

If you ever decide you really need that drilling, I would be willing to give you as good a break as you've given me on drillings. No doubt I will use it on something this fall, but it's been several decades since I've been short of choices for hunting season!

Hope you are doing well, my friend!
My version of an English stalking rifle is marked 275 Rigby just for the panache of it. LOL

Many minds are thinking alike here. I am building a 1903 Springfield along the lines of a classic Griffin & Howe sporter and plan to mark the barrel ".275 Rigby" too. I also scored a bunch of Hornady brass head-stamped .275 Rigby to complete the package.

John,
I have yet to read your article but look forward to doing so. I'm not a SA subscriber so I am keeping my eyes out on the newsstands for a copy. I shan't comment until having read it! But I saw the allusion above to the Burris FF II 3x9 Ballistic Plex that you're apparently using on some of your rifles. I find these scopes excellent and bought 5 of them when they were closing out at $120 wholesale. Only mounted 2 so far...
I loaned one of those rifles (a .243) to a gent who needed to put down his muzzleloader to make a stalk on a distant coyote, and when he handed it back to me he said "Man, I LOVE that scope - it's amazingly bright and clear!" This fella can afford any scope he wants but he had me get him on of those Burris. I reckon that's part of the "practicality" I can look forward to reading about!

Cheers,
Rex
Rex,

Didn't mention scopes specifically, as the article focused on cartridges and rifles. But the lead photo is of two of my favorite big game rifles, my New Ultra Light Arms .30-06, and my Merkel K-1 .308 Winchester, classic German Kipplauf (break-action single-shot). Both weigh well under 7 pounds with the 3-9x40 Fullfield II each had on it at the time.

The Merkel still does, but the .30-06 is one of my favorite test rifles for new scopes, because of its accuracy and light weight. The light weight results in enough recoil to cause problems with defective scopes, and the accuracy allows me to detect the problems. And that's why the rifle has Talley detachable steel mounts instead of the aluminum mounts--known these days as Talley Lightweights--that come with NULAs: I can detach whatever scope the .30-06 has on top of it, replace it with the test scope, and then after the testing's done put the rifle's regular scope back on the .30-06 without having to tweak the adjustments.

I had a bit of conflict in picking the Merkel from a lineup of them in the show room of Briley Manufacturing in Houston. (The also do rifle work, along with making and installing their superb chokes.) I'd been wanting (and saving for) a Kipplauf for a while, partly because I was traveling to hunt a LOT back then, and you can take the major components of a Kipplauf apart in a few seconds, just like you do a break-action shotgun. The parts will then fit in a take-down case, which is a LOT handier when traveling than the typical full-size rifle case, whether in a float plane up north or a crowded Toyota Land Cruiser in Africa.

Anyway, one of the half-dozen K-1s at Briley was a 7x57R, and I considered it too. But the .308 won, for two reasons: .308 ammo is available anywhere you can buy rifle ammunition, and 7x57R ammo isn't. That was the practical part. Second, the .308's wood had much nicer figure. That was the panache part.
Mule Deer ,i also liked your article on the solid bench ,yes it is a little high priced for a Strukey bench but it is very nice too in the pictures. a couple of weeks before i got sports afield mag. with this article i had just got some brackets from Lonny G. with a print on how to build a bench with his brackets off 24 HR. Campfire,his brackets sure look nice too.
Thanks, Steve.

As I mentioned in the column, the Stukey bench is the only portable bench I've tested over many years that has comparable accuracy results as a heavy permanent bench--and I have tested a BUNCH of portable benches. The price, of course, is pretty high, both in weight and money, but after buying my first Stukey bench 16 years ago, I considered the price or the latest version very reasonable. Many of us pay about the same for a rifle and scope these days/

Now both Eileen and I have a Stukey bench to use on prairie dog shoots--or when testing big game rifles at different elevations and longer ranges in the local mountains.
Originally Posted by mathman

That's the pair I have. Love them both.

Same here. Love those two, and they're both great shooters, too. .30/06, 7x57, .257R and .250 Savage, .220 Swift, and .222, as well as a 6.5x55 make up my collection. I will confess to a .25/06, which I really like, and two (gasp) Creedmoors, though.
I like the look of Sports Afield when I see it on the newsstand. I haven't bought a copy for quite some time. Perhaps I'll pick this one up.
I must admit to just reading the article l over the weekend while at camp. I'll address Mule Deer's friend who claims the 7MM-08 has no panache. I love the cartridge and have two, a Weatherby Ultra Light (no panache here but very practicable) and this custom #1. While maybe not the most practicable gun in the world to some it sees a lot of field time.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I'm currently waiting on two rifles both #1"s a 35 Whelen and a custom in 300 H&H. I considered a 300 WSM but it has no panache compared to the Super 30 LOL
Sports Afield finally made it to Alberta. Here is an Alberta buck taken with the 7X57. But, if I want “panache” going forward it will be a 30-06 or 270! :-)

Sports Afield is about the only magazine I pay for. J. Barsness has a very good article in every issue. The whole thing is a quality read. I also like Sporting Classics.
I started taking a Sports Afield again since I found out you are writing for them. I bet others have too. They need to give you a raise!!!
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Sports Afield finally made it to Alberta. Here is an Alberta buck taken with the 7X57. But, if I want “panache” going forward it will be a 30-06 or 270! :-)

Great buck! Dang, I need to slip across that border more often. Great picture too!
I need some panache.

g
Flyboy Flem,
A bolt action .405 WCF? Interesting! Have you published details on that rifle and if so, where?

I am a bit of a .405 enthusiast and have three rifles in that caliber. All plain old Winchester 1895 .405 s and all very effective on medium and large game. The only one with even the least "panache" (as used in this thread ) is my Simson &Co Suhl .405 double rifle. However my plain old 1895 .405 has earned street creds on dangerous game:
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

John, I don’t know if you’ve ever taken any flighted, feathered game with that drilling or if you even intended to but I’ve wondered how that would work with a scope. It looks like it could be a low-range variable. But maybe not the most practical gun for that purpose.

Now a pic of a brace of grouse and a mule deer buck with that piece front and center would certainly say panache.
George,

That drilling is not the only one I own. Have been hunting with them for close to 20 years, but even before that I learned that non-magnifying optics work great for wing-shooting. They're not considered "classic," but they work very well.

Have not taken anything with the Sauer 16x16/7x57R yet, but may this fall, as have the rifle load all worked up. But have owned a 16x16/6.5x57R for a decade. It came with a 4x Hensoldt, but did not particularly like the reticle, a heavy German #1, partly because the rifle barrel was very accurate, and the reticle covered up too much of an animal for shooting much beyond 150 yards.

So I had local gunsmith John McLaughlin machine the bases of Talley steel detachable rings to fit the claw-mount bases. I then could use any scope desired, and chose a 1-4x Leupold, BECAUSE at 1x I could easily wing-shoot birds flushed while hunting big game. And at 4x could easily kill big game at 300+ yards.

That's also part of the reason I purchased the 7x57R: I didn't need to change the mounts or scope. I could turn the 1.5-6x Zeiss to its lowest setting to wingshoot bird encountered while hunting big game--or turn it up if the big game was far enough away to need more magnification.
John,

Very nice! As to the 7x57R, I had one in a Blaser K95 for awhile. It had panache but there’s always something about a gun that one actually uses that brings surprises, either pleasant or disappointing.

With the K95, it was the latter, as instead of an ejector it had an extractor, which I knew, but the placement of it proved a real inconvenience for a lefty as it was directly in the way of my plucking out the case with my left hand.

Not terrible, but a rather cumbersome and slow process to reload. Loved that cartridge and otherwise the rifle was pretty nice also.

My problem is that, particularly with rifles, I’ve been gatherer and then a dispenser, sending them down the road for something new..or two.
"My problem is that, particularly with rifles, I’ve been gatherer and then a dispenser, sending them down the road for something new..or two."

Yeah, I know that syndrome well! In fact, have sold more drillings than I now own....

But one thing I have discovered in my time with them (and European break-action single-shots without ejectors) is that if another shot's needed it's far faster and easier, even for a right-hander, to turn the opened rifle upside-down after a shot, allowing the empty to fall out. And they will, unless you're one of those handloaders who always "needs" another 100 fps or more.

In fact, the 7x57R drilling functions fine with standard American 7x57 rimless ammo, because the pressure is relatively low. Just open it, turn it over, and voila!
John;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day's been a good one for you and you're keeping a tad less smoky than we are here.

If I'm recalling correctly your good wife wouldn't like the smoke much - not that anyone does really I suppose.

My copy finally made it into southern BC as well and as mentioned by others I enjoyed both the shooting bench write up and the panache vs practicality.

The results from the shooting bench with regards to it's accuracy are interesting for sure to me and would be interested in any further thoughts you have on it. There's always something to learn in this game somehow.

As well in the panache article I'm now officially envious of you with the .260 and it's 1:8 twist!. When I had my last 6.5x55 done, I couldn't find Creedmoor brass - then - and the smith didn't have a .260 reamer but did have a 6.5x55, so that's what we did.

Lastly, that gorgeous little Merkel of yours somehow "does it" for me, though I've got to say that GW's full wood in the same model might "do it more" but then my Teutonic ancestry likely has something to do with my love of Stutzen stocks and Schnabel fore ends too... blush

Oh - last, last - thanks again for the chronograph advice, I very much appreciate it. The new one showed up today even though Canada Post wasn't supposed to be delivering because of the smoke. I had to try it on a couple pellet rifles, figuring if it reads pellets it'll be good to go on most other stuff.

All the best to you all this season.

Dwayne

Ha, upside down to get rid of the case. So true! I discovered that also but it struck me it was rather an undignified treatment of a classic, continental, break-open gun that was the price of a good used car (at least in my day). 🙄 😀

GSPfan, beautiful #1!
pathfinder,

I also have taken mule deer in Alberta with the 7x57:

[Linked Image]

This was in 2009, the second time I hunted mule deer in your fine province. The range was about 275 yards, the load a 160 Partition at around 2700 fps. It was the first week of November, and the buck provided 130 pounds of delicious boned meat! Have killed cow and spike elk that weren't as big-bodied.
I like panache, but the core of my battery is practicality. I’ve battled with a 1984 vintage .30-06 since it was brand new. It is picky and prior to free floating the barrel and it regularly shifted POI several inches. I then went for what I thought were sure things; a Tikka T3x Lite 6.5 CM and a Tikka T3x Superlite .308. I mounted Burris FF2s on them. They are very accurate and consistent. Since I have 2 rifles that are very practical and dependable, I can have some less than perfect peripheral panache; my Ruger .30-06, a JM stamped Marlin .30-30, a Savage M24. Form follows function.
Is this article available online for purchase? I have searched all over town with no luck trying to find this volume. Isn’t carried here. I know I can go online and subscribe to SA and probably will but that won’t get me this edition.
philgood80,

I don't think SA sells individual articles on-line, but they do publish some on-line from past issues--for free. But usually not really recent articles.

You might try purchasing the issue: https://sportsafield.com/back-issues/
Thanks Mule Deer! Will do
bwinters,

Thanks for the clarification on your take on the article--before you read it. No need to apologize, as I understand how we can project our own tendencies into reading anything!

Here's a photo of the last 4 rifles I've purchased and/or traded for:

[Linked Image]

From the top:
Sauer drilling, 16x16x7x57R, with a 1.5-6x Zeiss Diavari scope.
1903-03 Springfield, made by Remington in 1942, apparently all original. (Thethe sling may not be.)
Ruger Hawkeye African, .275 Rigby.
BSA Martini Model 12, a .22 rimfire converted to .22 Hornet.

You can see my recent tendencies, but I still occasionally buy (or "build') a practical hunting rifle, even though between my New Ultra Light ARMS .30-06 and Whitworth .375 H&H (which has both a walnut and synthetic stock), along with a few others, am pretty well outfitted for practicality anywhere in the world.

John I like the BSA very much. You scored well Sir. I had never heard of "panache" until I read an article by Skeeter years ago.
Thanks!

Skeeter was a writer with a LOT of panache. (His son Bart inherited some too!)
What edition of SA does your article appear in?
The most recent, September/October 2020. The cover has a big bull elk bugling directly at the camera, and the cover blurb for the article says, "Traditions vs. Trendsetting."
The most recent, September/October 2020. The cover has a big bull elk bugling directly at the camera, and the cover blurb for the article says, "Traditions vs. Trendsetting."

My Wife's seemingly irrational fear of COVID-19 has kept me out of Barnes & Noble since mid-March.
Always the need to create something to write about. I get that...
philgood80,

I don't think SA sells individual articles on-line, but they do publish some on-line from past issues--for free. But usually not really recent articles.

You might try purchasing the issue: https://sportsafield.com/back-issues/

Thank You.

I’ll pick it up & read it before stepping too deep into this conversation.

Signed,
Another .260 fan although mine is wrapped in a mid weight barrel surrounded by fiberglass & baked on paint....
Very nice!

I have been more than mildly curious with the 275 Rigby given my proclivities to the 280 Rem through the last 35+ years. I've owned a couple 7x57 and think they make ideal medium game cartridges despite Mr. Bell's usage. I've threatened to build one for a while. I'd prefer it stamped 275 Rigby, gives it a bit more panache......

Have you considered the 7x64 for panache ? No point making it easy
, or too practical.

Just a thought
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Very nice!

Have you considered the 7x64 for panache ? No point making it easy
, or too practical.

Just a thought

Please...baby steps first, mere men may not be able to handle that much goodness in one fell swoop.
We all need panache... some more than others.

g
Mule Deer:

I'm pretty sure that BSA is a Model 15 with what's referred to as a "Special Stock". See the more complete description of the various small frame Martini rimfire rifles here: http://www.adamsguns.com/martini.htm

Rem
Thanks, have already looked the linked info over considerably, but will again.
There's not a lot of practicality for deer hunting in Michigan with a 300 H&H but it does have lots of panache. We altered the metal taking off the little protrusion on the front of the action, rounded the bottom metal, recessed the safety slide and even case colored the barrel band.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] The fore end tip id buffalo horn. I'll post some additional photos in a new thread in the single shot forum
I think it can be summed up with panache Winchester Model 21 and practical Winchester Model 24!
Originally Posted by philgood80
Is this article available online for purchase? I have searched all over town with no luck trying to find this volume. Isn’t carried here. I know I can go online and subscribe to SA and probably will but that won’t get me this edition.

I looked and looked and didn't find the issue on the newstands either, but apparently it is already available online for free on SA's site. I just found this - haven't even read it yet - wanted to post it first for those who, like me, have been searching for it.

Cheers,
Rex

panache-vs-practicality
TRx thanks for the link, I’ve been looking for a copy on the newsstand locally without success. Since first mentioned here.

I’m not sure that the article really touches on Panache so much as Trying to imply that Traditional, but archaic rounds with excessive throating variances imbue the user with this mystical Panache.
My take is that this is Just a Quixotic pursuit of futility.

Far better a .280 , or some flavour of .280 Improved (RCBS 28 degree) for Practical Panache

To me, A 3” 338-300WSM in an Intermediate length CRF action, that feeds flawlessly has panache.
I don’t care if it is stocked in Kevlar reinforced fibreglass, French Walnut, or Birch. It still has to be functional.

Cheers
DixNeuf sucks !
You guys aren't finding that issue of SA on newstands because it appeared in August.
I've been LOOKING since August. Strangely, it seems none of the stores in my "orbit" even carry SA at all, despite selling lots of other sporting mags, some of which I would consider far more obscure than SA.

John, I'm assuming the link I posted above is the complete story, and not something abridged for online. I just read it over supper and enjoyed it very much - thanks.
Now I have to get back to the shop and work on inletting the walnut for my 1903 Springfield .275 Rigby, 1903 Springfield 9.3x62, and Mauser .256 Newton (the 1903 Springfield 338-06 is already done). I have a chance to have my buddy drive them on the 6th of December to the fellow in CO that's going to blue them for me. If I can get them all done in time, I'll save a bunch on shipping!

And the next trip to the range is going to be the first trial on the TC Compass II 6.5 CM, in its Tupperware stock, detachable magazine, and matte-black finish.

I reckon I'm kind of middle of the road, like you, but I do love the nice blue and walnut oldies.

Thanks for a nice read,
Rex
Rex,

Yeah, not all newstands carry SA--though here in Montana most do.

The linked article is the entire printed version. Glad you enjoyed it! Many years ago the late, great John Wootters told me that gun writing is primarily entertainment--something I took to heart.
Thank you for posting that link TRexF16, I don't think there's many copies of that magazine sold here, and I haven't seen it on newsstands, so it was good to have the chance of reading John's article.
Very nice!

Does 275 Rigby have a tighter free bore specification ?

Is that the point of the 6.5x55 SKAN ?

I remember playing around with a couple of Lee Enfield jungle carbines in 303 British.
No Panache that I can recall. I could not achieve the sustained rate of fire that they were claimed to support.

I do recall some of the kilted highlanders having a feather thingy on their wedge cap badge.
They wielded bag pipes, though.

Enough of DixNeuf !
Links to lots of other good articles on the same site and John's story - check 'em out.
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by philgood80

I looked and looked and didn't find the issue on the newstands either, but apparently it is already available online for free on SA's site. I just found this - haven't even read it yet - wanted to post it first for those who, like me, have been searching for it.

Cheers,
Rex

panache-vs-practicality

Click on the highlighted authors name( in Red), and it yields a list of articles by said author 😁
At least on my tablet

Prowling around a bit , I found numerous pages of Craig Boddingtons works,
Bonus !

In general SA is an excellent publication , great articles, and amazing photography.
What’s not to like ? Maybe a bit heavy on the real-estate investment adverts ...
Good piece that. I think it clear that men have a choice. Pink hair and nose rings don’t work for me.
You guys aren't finding that issue of SA on newstands because it appeared in August.

I’ve never been able to find SA on store shelves, period, the reason I finally subscribed. Haven’t been to any real bookstores or newsstands as that would involve a 40-mile round-trip.

Pretty good magazine; what I’ve been missing for some years.
Just read the piece, very entertaining and informative.
I have a question about my hat and my own, personal Pancache.
Do I need to add a Rooster, Eagle or Ostrich tail feather to my hatband for the desired effect?
I only hope the answer is not Ostrich, if so I'm out!
Cheers
Originally Posted by comerade
Do I need to add a Rooster, Eagle or Ostrich tail feather to my hatband for the desired effect?
Cheers

Peacock.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Cheers

Peacock.

Bit rude, but at least you didn't call him a galah.
Rude? Me? Never!

I'm the soul of decorum and tact. Peacock feathers are naturally camouflaged, and subtly distinctive. They also serve as a marker flag so your Panachey Pals won’t accidently shoot your Panachey azz off in heavy cover.
TRexF16, thanks for posting the link to the article as Sports Afield is rare in the newsstands in area. My knowledge of the less mainstream calibers is lacking and this article assisted in working on that personal shortcoming.

On a side note I recently asked the Sports Afield website for information on which newsstands, bookstores etc regularly carry their publication. I was told to try a local airport. I found that distribution model to be rather confining, but that’s just my opinion.
As mentioned early in this thread, the older I get the more panache means to me. To wit, hunting and target shooting more and more with single shots. Two examples: My primary hunting rifle has become a Ruger #1- not uncommon, but is so in its chambering of 6.5x55. My favorite .22 has become a 100-115 year old Ballard-Stevens Pope that sings in perfect harmony with modern .22 target rifles, and often better.

I will admit that when snuggled up to a bench at the range my ego is stroked a bit when Average Joe Citizen has an amazed reaction of bewilderment when they ask about the old uncommon relics I collect and shoot. Seems a lot of folks don't know what a 1903 Springfield Style T bull gun is/was, or a Martini Model 12 with Unertl scope (similar to JB's), or a Savage M1920 .250-3000, etc. Sharing my knowledge with those folks is often an ego booster in and of itself- not that I require that because I would be running those guns regardless if I had an audience or not.

The Ballard:

Cheers

You need a tail-feather from a mature Reeves Pheasant.
That is a beautiful rifle gnoahhh. Uber cool.
© 24hourcampfire