Home
Posted By: 1234 accubond bullet - 09/25/20
using an accubond bullet are you better off aiming at the shoulder or behind it for a lung shot?

Ed
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: accubond bullet - 09/25/20
Have done both with good results. Which AccuBond and animal?
Posted By: 1234 Re: accubond bullet - 09/25/20
110gr. in a 270. have a 270 that struggles shooting 130gr. bullets but shoots the 110 accubond in tiny clusters and i am talking deer.

Ed
Posted By: beretzs Re: accubond bullet - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by 1234
110gr. in a 270. have a 270 that struggles shooting 130gr. bullets but shoots the 110 accubond in tiny clusters and i am talking deer.

Ed

They will never know what hit them!
Posted By: ckat Re: accubond bullet - 09/25/20
I’m a shoulder shooter. That bullet will strike like lightning and perform well, IMHO.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: accubond bullet - 09/25/20
Either way will work fine. I only shoot accubonds and TTSX's and love them both.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: accubond bullet - 09/26/20
I have shot deer and antelope with 140 gr 7mm Accubond.
I have shot deer and antelope with 140 gr 7mm ballistic tip.

Ballistic tip makes a bigger hole and makes them fall down faster.
Posted By: Trystan Re: accubond bullet - 09/26/20

Ed

I was under the impression that the .270 110 accubond was designed for the 6.8 Remington SPC that has a max velocity of around 2600 fps? I could be wrong on that but it might be worth looking into
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: accubond bullet - 09/26/20
All the AccuBonds are rated "unlimited" for maximum impact velocity, and 1800 fps as a minimum velocity for expansion. (Well, except the AccuBond Long Range, which is still rated unlimited at the top end, but 1300 fps minimum.)
Posted By: hanco Re: accubond bullet - 09/26/20
I had a Sako 270 that didn’t like 130’s, no matter what I tried. It shot 150’s really well. Did you try the 130 Barnes TTSX??
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: accubond bullet - 09/26/20

Ed

We have had very good results with the 90 gr. Accubond in 6mm Remington rifles and 110 in .25-06, so I would think it would work just as well in the .270.
Posted By: Aviator Re: accubond bullet - 09/26/20
I’ve killed several elk including my biggest with an Accubond, they always work!
Posted By: 300_savage Re: accubond bullet - 09/26/20
Mule Deer, do Interbonds perform similar to Accubonds? I use the 129 Interbond 6.5 mm at 2750 fps velociry.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: accubond bullet - 09/26/20
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Mule Deer, do Interbonds perform similar to Accubonds? I use the 129 Interbond 6.5 mm at 2750 fps velociry.

In my experience, Interbonds don't shed quite as much weight, but tend to open a bit wider. If I can get them to shoot in a particular rifle, I prefer them to Accubonds. I've not seen stellar accuracy from either. Both have worked very well on animals though. No complaints at all.
Posted By: jdb Re: accubond bullet - 09/26/20
Don’t know about the 110’s but 140’ out of my .270 work well on deer and elk. Oh and coyotes. I’ve not been overly impressed with 90 grain on coyotes out of a .243. They have all gone further than expected and they are NOT fur friendly
Posted By: gunner500 Re: accubond bullet - 09/26/20
I'm a shoulder puncher, and not me, but an old buddy has used the 200gr Accubond in his 300 Win Mag to slay everything all over the world short of the Big 5, I initially worked up the load in his rifle, COL 3.600" with 80gr Retumbo for 3000 fps, he now has learned, and bought his own loading setup, it's a hell of a load, near or far.
Posted By: vapodog Re: accubond bullet - 09/27/20
I've taken three elk and several mule deer with .30 caliber accubonds. My aiming point is always the mid section of the rib cage. I've never had to fire a second shot.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: accubond bullet - 09/27/20
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

In my experience, Interbonds don't shed quite as much weight, but tend to open a bit wider. If I can get them to shoot in a particular rifle, I prefer them to Accubonds. I've not seen stellar accuracy from either. Both have worked very well on animals though. No complaints at all.

That's also my general experience with both--but have had better overall luck getting AccuBonds to shoot well.

Also, the wider expansion of Interbonds tends to results in more ending up under the hide on the far side--which is similar to other wide-expanding bondes bullets such as the Norma Oryx and Woodleigh Weldcore. AccuBonds usually result in a wider "mushroom" than Partitions, resulting in a little larger percentage of recovery--but not as high as Interbonds, Oryxes or Weldcores.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: accubond bullet - 09/27/20
Might also comment that bonding does not mean a bullet is magically stronger. A lot depends on the thickness and structure of the jacket, as with any lead-cored bullet. Plus, the most common method of bonding is heating the bullet until the core melts slightly, essentially soldering itself to the jacket. This also tends to anneal the jacket, softening it somewhat as well.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: accubond bullet - 09/27/20

Ed

Did you try H4831 and a CCI 200 primer behind those 130 AB's?

I have yet to see a .270 that won't shoot good groups with that combination.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: accubond bullet - 09/27/20
Thanks, HuntnShoot and Mule Deer
Posted By: keith Re: accubond bullet - 09/27/20
My 270 was OK with 130 and 150's.

Saw a guy in our deer club kill a nice deer with a 110g Sierra, tried those and got very small groups

top end loads of R#17 and Win 760 both shot sub 1/2" groups at 3300. Shot a few deer but did not get complete penetration on one shot, so went to the 110g TTSX, groups got smaller, and brother, do these bullets drop deer! WOW!@
Posted By: gunner500 Re: accubond bullet - 09/27/20
I bought a M-70 in 270 for a donor action, screwed up and shot it, the load was 110gr TTSX's over RL-17 for 3500 fps, not a typo, accurate as hell, never shot anything with that rifle/load, it remains one of the hardest projects I had to do, sending it off to be torn down for the original build was tough, have no doubt those blue tipped speed demons would be fast hard killers.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: accubond bullet - 09/27/20
Only one animal with the Accubond bullets. The 165 gr. .30 caliber at about 2880 FPS from my 30-06 into a cow elk at about 100 yards give or take ten yards. Elk was quartering away and the bullet hit in the short rids and ended up in what was left of the left lung. The elk went maybe 30-40 feet and collapsed. She did require a finisher. The bullets were never recovered.
Paul B.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: accubond bullet - 09/28/20
These threads are always interesting,. Killed my first big game animal with an AccuBond in 2004, and since then have taken a bunch more--and also been standing alongside hunting partners who took quite a few.

The bullets have included the 130 and 140-grain 6.5mm, 140 .270, 140 and 160 7mm, 150 and 180 .30, 225 .338, 250 9.3mm, and 260 .375. The cartridges have included the .260 Remington, 6.5-.284 Norma, .270 Winchester, .270 WSM, .308 Win.. 300 WSM, .300 Win. Magnum, .338 Win. Magnum, 9.3x62 Mauser, 9.3 Barsness-Sisk, .375 H&H and. 375 Ruger.

The animals have ranged in size from wolverine, baboon, pronghorn, springbok, impala, blesbok, whitetail, mule deer, various species of hartebeest, bush pig, caribou, elk, kudu, zebra, black and grizzly bear, and eland.

All the bullets have acted about like Nosler Partitions of the same caliber and weight, except a slightly higher percentage has been recovered, probably due to the wider "mushroom" of ABs. The larger, heavier bullets (such as the 225 .338, 250 9.3 and 260 .375) retained a higher percentage of weight, just as Partitions of the same caliber/weight do--around 80-85%. They are very capable of penetrating shoulders/spine--or opening widely on behind-the-shoulder lung shots.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: accubond bullet - 09/28/20
I have had very good performance from the Accubond bullets, 6.5 and .338. Never lost a deer or had any issues. It has been a "go to" load in several rifles. Great accuracy, decent velocity, and terminal performance.Also never recovered a bullet, all were pass through.
Posted By: MedRiver Re: accubond bullet - 09/28/20
The 140 accubond has been my go to elk bullet in the 7mm-08 for my wife and kid's rifles and it has performed well on everything from antelope to elk with a mix of shoulder and rib shots. Have seen a bunch of game taken with the 140 in the .270 WSM at a variety of distances and shot angles/impact areas. They seem to be about the perfect balance of aerodynamics and terminal performance.

Worked up a 200 grain accubond load this summer for my .300 WM that previously I could not get to shoot the 180 accubond very well. Consistenly MOA or better with the 200. The long range numbers look good even at a less then impressive launch speed of 2880.

Working on a .30 Gibbs project that should be in my hands this week. Really hoping it will shoot a 165 or 180 accubond well. When I tested the rifle as a .30-06 prior to rechambering it shot the 180 Ballistic tip very well so I am optimistic.
Posted By: Elvis Re: accubond bullet - 09/29/20
I like Accubonds especially the 225gn in my .35 Whelen. I've taken all my sambar deer with that bullet. The two I've recovered have retained about 70-75 percent weight and mushroomed like the ads, not that it really matters. I've also taken a bit of game (chital and pigs) with the 140gn in 7mm. I haven't recovered one of them yet. I have a heap more (.257 110gn, .264 130gn, .308 150/165/180gn, .366 250gn) but haven't taken game with them........yet.
Posted By: dingo Re: accubond bullet - 09/29/20

I have liked Nosler Accubonds ever since I started using them in my 270WSM way back in 2004. These days I use them in my 7mm/08, 308 & 270Win. In all my rifles, they shoot very accurately and kill with authority.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: accubond bullet - 09/29/20
Mule Deer, I need you to use your pull with Nosler to get them to make a 100 grain or heavier Accubond in .243. A 105 would be perfect for the 6 Creed. That or get Swift to start making a 100 grain Scirocco again. Thanks as always!
Posted By: JPro Re: accubond bullet - 09/29/20
Originally Posted by gunner500
I'm a shoulder puncher, and not me, but an old buddy has used the 200gr Accubond in his 300 Win Mag to slay everything all over the world short of the Big 5, I initially worked up the load in his rifle, COL 3.600" with 80gr Retumbo for 3000 fps, he now has learned, and bought his own loading setup, it's a hell of a load, near or far.

That is a hell of a load indeed, if a guy can handle the recoil. I've used a lighter version, being the 160 NAB at that velocity in the 7mmRM. It's been great, both on shoulder shots and lungs.

Accubonds are almost never a bad pick. I like something a little tougher in the .25cal or under, but they have always been great game bullets in the larger calibers.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: accubond bullet - 09/30/20
I've killed moose, wild cattle and DLP'd some bears with Accubonds out of a 30-06 and all worked well. I'm normally a loyal Partition guy, but find myself gravitating more toward Accubonds these days.

The Accubond I shot a 53" bull moose with 2 years ago just a few feet below me and about 3 steps out from the base of a treestand I was in doesn't look much different from the one I drilled a wild cow with on one of the nearby islands at about 200 yards.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: accubond bullet - 09/30/20
I can only recall using Accubonds in my Swede. 130 grain 6.5’s... They shoot true bugholes from my Sako 5 in less than 1/2 “ consistently) and perform on deer like bullets in magazine ads. For the OP’s question, I’d say bust shoulders and get some bloodshot meat for DRT results or put it behind the shoulder for less damage and a short tracking job. Your choice.
Posted By: strosfann Re: accubond bullet - 10/09/20
I’ve used the 140 gr. Accubond out of a 270 WSM on 20+ animals ranging in size from a Corsican Ram up to a rag horn bull elk and have never recovered one yet. All good hits and a few less than perfect ones have resulted in quick kills with no tracking required. Ranges have spanned from 10-440 yards and effectiveness has been consistent across the board. Chest cavity shots reliably produce liquified lungs. Anything impacting meat does generate massive trauma and ruins some meat but that is why I aim for ribs whenever possible.
Posted By: 79S Re: accubond bullet - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
These threads are always interesting,. Killed my first big game animal with an AccuBond in 2004, and since then have taken a bunch more--and also been standing alongside hunting partners who took quite a few.

The bullets have included the 130 and 140-grain 6.5mm, 140 .270, 140 and 160 7mm, 150 and 180 .30, 225 .338, 250 9.3mm, and 260 .375. The cartridges have included the .260 Remington, 6.5-.284 Norma, .270 Winchester, .270 WSM, .308 Win.. 300 WSM, .300 Win. Magnum, .338 Win. Magnum, 9.3x62 Mauser, 9.3 Barsness-Sisk, .375 H&H and. 375 Ruger.

The animals have ranged in size from wolverine, baboon, pronghorn, springbok, impala, blesbok, whitetail, mule deer, various species of hartebeest, bush pig, caribou, elk, kudu, zebra, black and grizzly bear, and eland.

All the bullets have acted about like Nosler Partitions of the same caliber and weight, except a slightly higher percentage has been recovered, probably due to the wider "mushroom" of ABs. The larger, heavier bullets (such as the 225 .338, 250 9.3 and 260 .375) retained a higher percentage of weight, just as Partitions of the same caliber/weight do--around 80-85%. They are very capable of penetrating shoulders/spine--or opening widely on behind-the-shoulder lung shots.

Prior to 2004, you were just a bird hunter??
Posted By: frogman43 Re: accubond bullet - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by strosfann
I’ve used the 140 gr. Accubond out of a 270 WSM on 20+ animals ranging in size from a Corsican Ram up to a rag horn bull elk and have never recovered one yet. All good hits and a few less than perfect ones have resulted in quick kills with no tracking required. Ranges have spanned from 10-440 yards and effectiveness has been consistent across the board. Chest cavity shots reliably produce liquified lungs. Anything impacting meat does generate massive trauma and ruins some meat but that is why I aim for ribs whenever possible.

This pretty much mirrors my experience with them as well. This is the ONLY bullet I load in my .270 WSM.....rifle really likes them! Every critter that I've fired that rifle at has died....
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: accubond bullet - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by 79S

Prior to 2004, you were just a bird hunter??

That literally made me laugh out loud.
Posted By: Benbo Re: accubond bullet - 10/15/20
Using a 110AB at the velocity a 270 can drive them id say a shoulder hit deer will probably drop right there... and you will probably destroy most of the shoulder meat. I’m sure a lung hit deer won’t go far. I Only used 140AB out of my 270 and I was very surprised when a normal sized Tennessee doe I shot quartering slightly away stopped the 140 AB. Range was about 95 yards and muzzle velocity was about 3015fps and I aimed for the off side shoulder.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: accubond bullet - 10/15/20
Originally Posted by Benbo
Using a 110AB at the velocity a 270 can drive them id say a shoulder hit deer will probably drop right there... and you will probably destroy most of the shoulder meat. I’m sure a lung hit deer won’t go far. I Only used 140AB out of my 270 and I was very surprised when a normal sized Tennessee doe I shot quartering slightly away stopped the 140 AB. Range was about 95 yards and muzzle velocity was about 3015fps and I aimed for the off side shoulder.

Am assuming the doe died pretty quickly?
Posted By: Benbo Re: accubond bullet - 10/16/20
Yes! She did a hard death run of about 20 yards and hit an old fence, got tangled and that was it. Probable stayed on her feet 3 seconds total. The shot was at a pretty steep downward angle and I saw her drop. When I went to go get her, I walked straight to where I’d shot her. I was going to dig the bullet out of the dirt....I found hair and a small amount of blood but no hole containing the bullet... I looked and looked (I love seeing the recovered bullets when able). Finally gave up and went to the deer, I don’t recall the amount of blood on her short trail. When I rolled her over I felt around and found the bulge containing the bullet. Sliced her hide and there it was. A beautiful expanded accubond. Admittedly I’ve probable only shot 4-5 deer with that load and all properly hit deer died very quickly.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: accubond bullet - 10/17/20
I just go for the top of the heart and if a shoulder is in the way just send the bullet through it.
Posted By: MOW Re: accubond bullet - 10/30/20
I've always heard Swift Scirocco was a tough bullet...jacket looks thicker than the AB and InterBond. Never seen any tests or had any friends use them in the real world hunting.
Posted By: BCSteve Re: accubond bullet - 10/30/20
Originally Posted by MOW
I've always heard Swift Scirocco was a tough bullet...jacket looks thicker than the AB and InterBond. Never seen any tests or had any friends use them in the real world hunting.

Maybe not quite apple to apple but here a 6.5 140gr Accubond vs a 6.5 130gr Scirocco II

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: accubond bullet - 10/30/20
In my experience Sciroccos expand and penetrate more than InterBonds (which expand VERY widely) but not as deeply as AccuBonds--which penetrate almost as deeply as Partitions. The Scirocco jacket is heavier, but made of pure copper, which is a little softer than the gilding metal jackets on the AB and IB--which is a mild brass (copper with a little zinc) used for most centerfire bullet jackets.
Posted By: Elvis Re: accubond bullet - 10/30/20
Originally Posted by MOW

The .25 100gn Scirocco is a very good bullet at 3150 fps from my Roberts. I had one penetrate about two feet quartering through a feral billy goat at about 40 metres.
Posted By: Elvis Re: accubond bullet - 10/30/20
Out of interest..............which was developed first? The Scirocco or Accubond? Who copied who?
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: accubond bullet - 10/30/20
Originally Posted by Elvis
Out of interest..............which was developed first? The Scirocco or Accubond? Who copied who?

Swift was bonding bullets first, both the Scirocco and the A-Frame.

Edited to add that they weren't the first to do it, just the first large manufacturer to do it.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: accubond bullet - 10/30/20
If I recall correctly, Swift was the first bullet company to make a bonded plastic-tip.

The first version expanded somewhat wider than the present version, because Swift envision it as a higher-BC bullet for deer-sized game, since they already made the A-Frame for bigger stuff. Nosler had the same idea when they introduced the Ballistic Tip, since they already had the Partition for larger game--but so many hunters liked the accuracy and higher ballistic coefficient of the Scirocco and Ballistic Tip that they started hunting game like elk with the plastic-tipped "deer bullets" and naturally some hunters weren't satisfied with their penetration.

As a result, both companies started making changes. Swift introduced the Scirocco II (the present version), designed to penetrate deeper. Nosler introduced heavy-jacket versions of the Ballistic Tip, and eventually the AccuBond.
Posted By: MOW Re: accubond bullet - 10/31/20
In my experience Sciroccos expand and penetrate more than InterBonds (which expand VERY widely) but not as deeply as AccuBonds--which penetrate almost as deeply as Partitions. The Scirocco jacket is heavier, but made of pure copper, which is a little softer than the gilding metal jackets on the AB and IB--which is a mild brass (copper with a little zinc) used for most centerfire bullet jackets.

Sounds like in the end, they all work very well. Just splitting hairs, which ever one is the most accurate is the one to go with.
Posted By: Cascade Re: accubond bullet - 10/31/20
Recovered this 260 grain .375" Accubond from a black bear which I'd tracked after it was wounded by another hunter. My shot was from about 15 feet. Muzzle velocity about 2650 fps. The bullet was hanging in the off-side hide.

I'm impressed with the Accubond, have taken several black bear with it. Good accuracy and excellent performance on game. I was a little surprised to recover the bullet as I'd seen pass-throughs before.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: accubond bullet - 11/01/20
I "caught" my first Accubond last week. My buddy shot a Whitetail buck and a doe (one shot each) in MT with .243 Win rounds I had loaded for him with the 90 AB at about 3050 FPS. The round shot at the doe fully penetrated and left a nice blood trail in the snow (for about 60 yards). The buck didn't go as far but the bullet lodged just under the skin on the off side, retaining 64% of its original weight.
All the ABs I have shot in my previously limited experience, mostly 6.5mm 130s, have fully penetrated.

Cheers,
Rex
Posted By: Elvis Re: accubond bullet - 11/01/20
I just reweighed my two .35 225gn Accubonds caught in two sambar deer from my Whelen. One retained 77% and the other 74%. One at 40m and the other at 70m.
Posted By: dingo Re: accubond bullet - 11/12/20

Recovered this pair of .30cal 150gn Accubonds from wild pigs a few weeks back. At a.308 Win muzzle velocity of 2750fps retained weight was 102gns & 103gns.

Posted By: GreggH Re: accubond bullet - 11/12/20
Used the Accubond 160 gr in my 7 Mag last year on deer and black bear. Completely satisfied with performance. One doe took one quartering to me at 90 yards found it in off side hip under the hide. The bear was shot broad side spraying pink tissue out the other. After trying various bullets and weights in that rifle I’m sticking to the Accubond for the 7.
GreggH
Posted By: GunTruck50 Re: accubond bullet - 11/16/20

Can a person heat there none bonded bullets and turn them into bonded? How hot would they have to be?
Posted By: bowmanh Re: accubond bullet - 11/16/20
I've recovered a few Accubonds from large wild pigs and elk but in most cases there was complete penetration. The recovered bullets were .30 caliber and 180 grains. I've used a lot of 140 grain 7mm Accubonds and some in 6.5mm on mule deer but have never recovered one. I like Accubonds and their performance on game, and they generally shoot well in my rifles.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: accubond bullet - 11/16/20
Originally Posted by GunTruck50

Can a person heat there none bonded bullets and turn them into bonded? How hot would they have to be?

In theory you could, though I don't know the necessary temperature, which would vary a little depending on the lead alloy used.

But there are several difficulties, first that heating also tend to anneal (soften) the copper or copper-alloy jacket--which is why many bonded bullets have jackets that are very thick (or partitioned) toward the rear. If you bond a typical thin-jacketed soft-point, it tends to come apart, often as much as the same bullet unbonded.

Also, if the bullet isn't heated absolutely evenly, it can warp a little, which doesn't help accuracy.
Posted By: scoony Re: accubond bullet - 11/16/20
This accubond hit a deer at 80 yards. Deer was quartering towards me and the bullet entered high on the shoulder. Bullet busted the near side shoulder, destroyed the lungs and liver and ended up under the skin just behind the last rib. Taking a rough measurement with a tape measure, the bullet traveled at least 20". It retained 75% of its weight. Deer ran 20 years and flopped. Entry hole in the skin was caliber size, but while processing that front shoulder, there was a 2" hole in the shoulder bone. It also busted through a rib just below the spine.

6.8spc with 16" barrel. 110 Accubond handload at 2560 fps 15' from the muzzle.

Posted By: Puddle Re: accubond bullet - 11/16/20
I've only used NAB's in my .257 Bob antelope getter. I load the 110 gr's to tickle 3000 fps and they just knock over dinner. I've never recovered a single one even with a shot that was pushing 400 yards.
Posted By: TX35W Re: accubond bullet - 11/16/20
Only thing I'd add is that you get out to further ranges and down around 2000 fps I try to keep them on the shoulder bc they seem to start needing some resistance to expand at lower velocities.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: accubond bullet - 11/16/20
20 years??? I know you meant 20 yards....but that was funny!!
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: accubond bullet - 11/16/20
20 years??? I know you meant 20 yards....but that was funny!!
Posted By: 65BR Re: accubond bullet - 11/17/20
RE: the suggestion of a heavy AB in 6mm......My Go to is the 95 BT, you should find all you need, near and far, soft or hard targets...shoulders or lungs......

Hanco- in several 270s I ran, the 150 BT was my Go to, always outshot 130s. Today, I would run a 140 AB and expect accuracy and on game performance. Same held true in 7 RM for me, mine liked 150-162s......never did great with 140s. 1/2 MOA with 150 BTs.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: accubond bullet - 11/17/20
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

That's also my general experience with both--but have had better overall luck getting AccuBonds to shoot well.

Over half a dozen different cartridges in 10 rifles or so, I've not really had much of an accuracy issue with AB's......................some even bugholing with 3 shots.

I know it's not 10 shots but....................WRGAF. Works for me for a hunting rifle.

MM
© 24hourcampfire