Home
WHAT IN THE WORLD? First ammo and now there is a nation wide shortage of canning lids of all things. I love my guns but son of a gun now they're messing with my canning. Are any of you guys having problems finding canning lids? There is not one store or hardware here in East Tennessee or Western North Carolina that has one canning lid to be found. There are lids on ebay BUT they are so highly priced I will pass. I protest!

Glenn
roanmtn
Around here, one can't even find Ball jars, let alone lids or anything else.

All the stores around here, the canning section is complete devoid of anything !!!!!!
No canning lids just up the road in SWVA either.
I couldn’t find canning lids here in Indiana either. Got plenty of ammo though!
And I just finished researching a complete guide to forming bullet jackets out of canning lids.....
No canning supplies here in western pa. either
Go to church ask the little old lady's they always have a storage box full of lids and a basement full of jars.
Your just now noticing this? Been going on since April with canning supplies Ace hardwares have been where I have found some

Thankfully we had plenty in reserve and were able to snag some more lids/bands over the summer

Jars I have hundreds but would like to have some pint and half ball jars. Can’t find them anywhere. Maybe next year

What you canning this time of year out of curiosity?
A lot more people put our gardens this year than normal. Lots more canning
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Your just now noticing this? Been going on since April with canning supplies Ace hardwares have been where I have found some. . .

I posted about that on several sites I belong to
( I guess I missed this one?)
Lehman's was out of all of their lids and jars
of every size and configuration.
When Lehman's is out of canning supplies,
you KNOW there's a problem
I resupplied way back then.
Those who didn't will have to use freezer bags
and use up their red barron pizzas and cheese
stick supplies to make room for veggies
Anyone know if canning lids are still made in America? Some jars, I found out, are made in China now.
Did you miss the message back in the spring to start burying mason jars of ammo in the back yard?
I have a local source for Made in the USA lids, lol

PM if you want a batch, can ship a bunch for $8 or so in a Priority Flat Rate Padded Envelope.
I have a 2nd late crop of half runner beans that are now being canned. I located my lids from a elderly woman who still cans about 500 cans of food per year with her family. I was shocked when I realized there was a nationwide shortage.

Glenn
I have researched and found that lids are made by Ball, Kerr, Golden Harvest, Bernardine and Mason here in the U.S.A. And now I notice some stuff being advertised by China. I don't think I will order anything made down in Old Hong Kong.
Roan I’m just down in Maryville. Born and raised in seymour( sevier county) Used to work in Greenville at laughlin ER

Just a bit south of you is all
As you all know, the Amish have their own way of doing things. They use the lids over and over with no ill effects.
i think my grandmom always procured new lids (flat lids) without fail for all canning.

she would re-use the rings year after year after year.

i remember that pressure cooker on the wood fired stove in august.

but in the winter we were secure, well-fed and very happy.
Rings and lids are reusable. Rings will last a very long time if you take care of them

Much higher fail rate on lids if you use them 2nd time. Typically so cheap and plentiful not worth keeping them. This year could change all that of course
Paraffin wax will work good on many things, certainly on jellies/jams.....not sure about pickles and such! I’m counting on bees wax to do the same after teotwawki!

There are reusable lids (Tattler brand) discussed on many prepper/survivalist forums....I’m reasonably certain that they are not available either!

memtb
© 24hourcampfire