Home
Posted By: shootem What is this revolver? - 10/05/20
Plowed up in East Tennessee in the 1940s. Appears to be a short 44 of some sort. 5 shot cylinder. Note notches on the grip. A third can be seen where the grip break begins. Blood gun?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: What is this revolver? - 10/05/20
Rusty!?!
Posted By: Muffin Re: What is this revolver? - 10/05/20
Old 'H and R'
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: What is this revolver? - 10/05/20
Thats what I was thinking, old H&R.

Best to throw it back in the dirt.
Posted By: shootem Re: What is this revolver? - 10/05/20
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Thats what I was thinking, old H&R.

Best to throw it back in the dirt.

LOL! Well, it ain't repairable for sure but bet you ain't got a wall hanger with notches in the grip. It's in my bro-in-laws shop. His dad did the plowing for a corn field. Back then, and where it was, wouldn't be at all surprised if shine had a little to do with it and it got lost on purpose. What flavor of 44 would have been chambered then? It's a short cylinder.
Posted By: hangunnr Re: What is this revolver? - 10/05/20
Very likely a 44 rimfire.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: What is this revolver? - 10/06/20
Colt python
Posted By: 160user Re: What is this revolver? - 10/06/20
Rebore it to 44 mag.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: What is this revolver? - 10/06/20
wd40 works wonders! grin
Posted By: moosemike Re: What is this revolver? - 10/06/20
All there was that I'm aware of is .44 rimfire, .44 Colt, and .44 Russian. Those were the short .44's. The pistol looks very H&R or Hopkins & Allen.
Posted By: Woodhits Re: What is this revolver? - 10/06/20
Evidence that not everything old is valuable.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: What is this revolver? - 10/06/20
To me, it looks like an old Belgian or British gun, and in that case, it would be something like the .442 Bulldog or something like that, a Webley Royal Irish Constabulary, something like that. It's unlikely to be an H&R, I don't think they made any .44s. Maybe a Forehand and Wadsworth.................
Posted By: Mathsr Re: What is this revolver? - 10/09/20
I have a similar revolver made by H&R. It is called The American Double Action and is chamberd for the 44 Webley. That is a very short 44 centerfire cartridge that was made in the early part of the 1900's up til the 1940's. The markings on mine are deep enough to have probably survived the rust that is on that one. Might check the top of the action to see if there are any markings left. The H&R is faintly marked on the left side of the barrel flats and I doubt it would have survived a good cleaning or two.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: shootem Re: What is this revolver? - 10/11/20
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I have a similar revolver made by H&R. It is called The American Double Action and is chamberd for the 44 Webley. That is a very short 44 centerfire cartridge that was made in the early part of the 1900's up til the 1940's. The markings on mine are deep enough to have probably survived the rust that is on that one. Might check the top of the action to see if there are any markings left. The H&R is faintly marked on the left side of the barrel flats and I doubt it would have survived a good cleaning or two.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thanks for that info.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: What is this revolver? - 10/11/20
Originally Posted by moosemike
All there was that I'm aware of is .44 rimfire, .44 Colt, and .44 Russian. Those were the short .44's. The pistol looks very H&R or Hopkins & Allen.

Joe Salter has one listed like it H&R "The American".44 Webley.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: What is this revolver? - 10/11/20
The grip angle looks different from the H&R, although a similar type gun.

DF
Posted By: WTF Re: What is this revolver? - 10/11/20
Send it off to JES for that rebore
Posted By: greydog Re: What is this revolver? - 10/11/20
Early in my gunsmithing career, I ran across all sorts of H&R, Hopkins and Allen, and S&W pocket pistols; along with tons of Belgian copies. (Smit&Weston, Hopkins& Albert, Harold and Richards, etc.) It was common to see a pistol with what looked, at first glance, looked like the S&W monogram. Looking closer, it wasn't S&W. In fact, it wasn't anything at all. Same with the Owl's head on the H&R's.
The notches might mean crows killed or gophers! GD
Posted By: shootem Re: What is this revolver? - 10/11/20
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Grip angle and length are terrible. You’d need awfully small hands and a crooked wrist for it to work well.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: What is this revolver? - 10/11/20
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Trigger guard looks larger than the H&R.

I’d guess it’s a foreign copy. Probably a cheap gun when it was new.

If someone could post side by side photos that would become more evident.

DF
Posted By: Mathsr Re: What is this revolver? - 10/11/20
I didn't think the H&R was the exact same gun showed in the original post. There are too many differences in the shape of the frame and grips. I showed this one just to be a representative sample of a H&R chambered the 44 Webley centerfire cartridge from the early 1900's. This one is surprisingly comfortable in the hand even with the small grip, but I get the impression that it might be kind of snappy if you shot it.
Originally Posted by hangunnr
Very likely a 44 rimfire.

My guess as well. Cheers NC
Posted By: 5thShock Re: What is this revolver? - 10/12/20
It is not often that one finds an authentic Appalachian Avenger in that condition. Except for the trigger, it looks good to go. In the later variants the trigger was beefed up to handle the ferocious squeezes of the adult male hillbilly.
It is an Iver Johnson extra large frame American Bulldog. What a neat find!
Posted By: night_owl Re: What is this revolver? - 10/18/20
Nice ID, Timbermaster.

More Info on the ABD Extra Large
© 24hourcampfire