Home
Posted By: roninflag Moose rifle caliber - 11/24/20
does anyone know the caliber of the moose rifle the guy from sweden is using in the youtube video where the bull moose falls on the third shot narrowly missing him?? ............https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2083726808406/charging-moose-drops-at-hunters-feet-after-final-point-blank-shot
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/24/20
416?
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/24/20
I have no idea but would like to see the video.

Can you post link to it?
Posted By: roninflag Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/24/20
https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2083...unters-feet-after-final-point-blank-shot
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/24/20
Great Video suppose that guy had to change his shorts after that?
Lol mb
Posted By: KEVIN_JAY Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/24/20
Sweden, probably a 6.5x55
Posted By: super T Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/24/20
It doesn't look like a heavy recoiling rifle. It also doesn't look like the moose was actually charging the hunter, just running wildly.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/24/20
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY
Sweden, probably a 6.5x55

Maybe 30 years ago. They tell me that isn't much of a thing anymore. They tell me the various 300 mags are huge over there and even the 45-70 is making its presence felt
Posted By: reivertom Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/25/20
Whatever it was, he might want to practice a bit more.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/25/20
Wow. Although I think super T is right in that it may have just been running wildly. Wish I knew what he was using. Buddy of mine once harvested a Canadian moose with one round from his 30-378 Weatherby at about 75-100 yds. IIRC. It was a handload and I forgot what bullet he was using.
Posted By: crc1514 Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/25/20
I want to know why he took a barking dog hunting with him.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/25/20
Okay:

First, it's traditional to hunt moose in Scandianvia by driving them past standers with dogs, normally Norwegian elkhounds. They bark as they're trailing moose, which not only keeps the moose moving, but alerts the standers that there may be a moose heading toward them.

Dunno what the cartridge was, but dog-pushed moose can travel quite away even when hit well.

I have done a little such moose hunting in Finland, and have also hunted red deer in Norway. The most popular hunting cartridge for either red deer or moose these days is the .308 Winchester. Have yet to hunt with any native of either country (and have hunted with several dozen) who used a .300 Winchester Magnum or .45-70, but no doubt it happens.
Posted By: CanadianLefty Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/25/20
Mule Deer is 100% correct. I've hunted in Europe and have family there and that's how it's usually done.

There's a much greater chance that someone hunts with a 30-06 or 9.3x62 in some parts of Europe than with any 300 Win Mag or 45-70.

The young bull moose only charges on the last shot. It was running dazed and confused before that. No matter what the man was using to shoot the moose, it would have dropped with a CNS hit or continued to run 50+ yards then drop after the second shot had the moose not seen the hunter and videographer and/or dog.

I would have been comfortable using a 6.5x55 (with right bullets) on up. I would not have been comfortable in his position but can see how it could happen quick.
Or we can stoke the fires of fear and use this as an example to show how "thick skinned" and dangerous moose are and how we should use enough gun, AKA min. 338 Win Mag with 250 gr. bullets; else, risk life and limb! smile

Moose are some of the easiest animals to kill and are usually shot in Europe and Canada (esp. Eastern Canada) at short range. When I was living in Canada I'd hear local stories of poachers getting caught with a dead moose and .22LRs and several locals used 303 British, 30-30s, .308 Win and even single shot 20 gauge slugs (where legal)...They are easy to kill (like most animals) with a well placed shot; its just that Moose don't always know that they're dead for a little bit.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/25/20
Originally Posted by reivertom

Shot many moose? They can soak up rounds.

That guy was just sitting in the wrong place at the wrong time. That moose wasn't charging at all. Glad it all ended well though.

As for cartridge, I guess a guy could eMail the poster of that video and ask.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
....That moose wasn't charging at all. Glad it all ended well though.

Upon second look, you're right, the moose swiftly turns (either obstacle or other reason) towards the hunter but doesn't appear to be charging at all; he's running by the hunter at very close range.
Posted By: roninflag Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/25/20
the interesting thing in this is .........i posted some time ago about a moose hunting. asked it you would change from a 180 to a 200 partition out of a 30-06 for bull moose. based on my experience on quite a few elk and a lot of 30-06s. i should look up my thread . i got a bunch of responses-" have shot 17 with the 6.5x55 156 norma; i have shot 24 same load. :" they catch them like a catchers glove" , some mentioned the 308 norma is used but not needed. ect. ... in my mind i am going no way i am going to spend the money to shoot bullwinkle in sweden or canada or ..... wyoming and not take at least a 30-06.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/25/20
My cousin from Sweden tells me that moose are easy to kill with 6.5x55.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/25/20
European moose are somewhat smaller than most North American moose, except perhaps the Shiras subspecies--and moose in general are easier to kill than North American elk. My wife and I have taken moose handily with the .270 Winchester and 7x57 Mauser.

When I hunted moose and elk in northern British Columbia almost 20 years, my very experience guide said they lose far more elk shot by their clients than moose.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/25/20
I’ve seen them fall to mild 6.5’s and 7mm’s with no trouble at all.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/25/20
My somewhat limited experience with moose has led me to believe that moose (shiras, at least) react less to hits than elk do, though they die just as easy. Moose often don't run very far, if anywhere when shot, even when shot a few different times. I had one Shiras bull walk about 30 yards after a solid hit at 75 yards with a .300 H&H. He acted like nothing was wrong at all. He just all of a sudden stopped and fell over. A few others I have been along for have taken 4-5 bullets as they walked along a few yards before tipping over. I'd suspect they would have fallen over even without the extra shots, even from smaller rounds, but it has made an impression on me. Elk generally would have been sprinting away at the first shot. That would (could, maybe) explain why less moose are hit and lost than elk. There's plenty of YouTube videos out there showing moose soaking up bullets as they slowly walk.

The bull in the video above was being herded by dogs which may have had something to do with the situation...who knows???
Posted By: crc1514 Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/25/20
I didn’t notice the dog walking behind the moose at first, I thought it was sitting with the hunter when it showed up so quickly after the moose fell.
Posted By: oldpinecricker Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/25/20
Ive only hunted moose myself once and been with others several times. My dad has Parkinsons and drew for Idaho bull moose a few years ago. I got an handicap license and permit to hunt from road from game dept and we parked across a canyon that had a hated road leading to some logging cuts. Persistance paid off and he was able to hit him and break his neck @423yds with an Winchester 180gr power point out of an old Winchester 100 rifle i bought for him. It was the most dramatic kill on a big game animal ive seen and it looked like it was hit and piledrived to the ground. It was a large bull and it took me a lot of work to retrieve it. The 420yd shot across the canyon ended up much much farther in the retrieval.

Another one that cones to mind years earlier is also in idaho a friend drew a tag in the Lochsa area and i went with him and he shot a small bull really close at the b0ttom of a small creek drainage hellhole of brush cedar oldgrowth blowdowns and old slash. He hit him 3 times really well using Nosler partitions from his Weatherby 378 magnum. All the shots were lethal classic broadside facing us and the bull was young and small. Still the little guy took off on the second shot and dropped on the third. Honestly one was enough but the critter just kinda started trotting off at a slow gait as if he was fine but he was lethally hit. Its odd how some times you dont get instant results even with a 378 Weatherby but a 308 win can take out a chunk of spine in the neck of a big animal and the differences look so dramtic.

Sorry for the long post but those are two of about 5 moose expeeiances ive had
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/25/20
In the last 55 years I have been in on probably around 35 or more moose kills by my self and my family. The cartridges and bullets we used were mostly the 30-06 with 200 grain Nosler Partitions and 180 grain Barnes X bullets, the 338-06 with 225 grain X bullets and the .338 Win. Mag. with 250 grain Partitions and 225 grain Barnes X bullets of some flavor. The majority of the shots were taken at under 150 yards at mostly broad side stationary moose that were in or close to thick timber, alders, willows, swampy terrain and the general Alaskan "pucker brush".

Under those conditions I can not see much difference in the performance of either cartridge and bullet combination. They both work wonderfully if the all important first shot puts the bullet in the right place. None of our moose. caribou or bears live long if a well designed expanding bullet with enough power to put a good wound channel through both lungs and exits allowing lots of blood loss. With that shot placement at those ranges most critters will not stop either the 200 grain Partition or .338 X bullets as the bullet usually passes through the critter.

My Dad used a pre-64 Mod. 70 Win. in 264 Win. Mag. for all of his Alaskan hunting. His bullet was the 140 grain Nosler Partition and surplus H4831 of which he had a bunch when we moved to Alaska. It was deadly on lung shot moose and caribou. Most all of the hunters I know use a 30-06, .35 Whelen, 300 Win. or WSM or a .338 Win. I also believe the presence of large bears in most of Alaska promotes the use of 30-06 and above cartridges when hunting moose.

I also know many moose and caribou and bears fall to the .223 Rem. cartridge every year in rural Alaska, with the Mini 14 or AR platform being most common. I believe there are better cartridge choices then a .223, but rural Alaskan hunting is a bit different then a hunter venturing into the woods for a couple weeks in the fall. It does not take much of a cartridge to kill a swimming critter when you are 15' away in a boat, which is legal in some parts of rural Alaska.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/25/20
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by reivertom

Shot many moose? They can soak up rounds.

Yes they can soak up rounds and not show it.

I once shot a young bull broadside at about 80yds twice with a 375magnum. Classic lung shot both shots and showed no reaction whatsoever. He started to wobble at the 3rd shot. After that, I just shoot them once and wait.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/30/20
I think he was annoyed with the barking dog, that's where he was heading.
Posted By: Quak Re: Moose rifle caliber - 11/30/20
Used to work with a couple guys who lived and hunted frequently over there and they both said the 308 was far and away the most common.

I was surprised...figured the 6.5x55 but alas just like Africa the Nato round has dug in so to speak
© 24hourcampfire