Home
Posted By: ErichTheRed Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
I'm interested in opinions on a bolt rifle in 300 WSM. Around $2500.00 without optics.
Purpose is a general hunting rifle for big game in Alaska
. Stainless or Blued steel, synthetic stock. I like the 300 WSM But I'm open to options.
Thanks for the help.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
Yeah, I'd sell you mine for $2,500.00....Without optics even.. wink
Posted By: ErichTheRed Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
Oh great thanks for your help.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
OK- Here's what I would do.

Get a Tikka T3 Superlite in 300WSM put a good Z5i 3-18mm Swarovski Scope on it and go hunting.

You can get fancy off of that if you want to by adding Mesa Precision Alpine Stock for Sendero Lite Contour channel.
Get a Proof-Research Sendero Lite Prefit barrel in 300WSM.
Get a 20 MOA rail.
Get a Trigger Tech Diamond trigger.
Get a Red Snake Tactical bottom metal for magazine AISC.
Get a Terminator T1 muzzle break.

Send parts to Mark Penrod or Jon Beanland to assemble and bed with care.
It wouldn't suck.
Thank you for your post.
A helpful post.
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
I'm fond of the Browning X-bolt - not sure what they are worth over there.
Posted By: Ready Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
Hi Erich

you live in a great state. I was happy to be able to spend some time there. kaboku already gave you some great ideas, but I need to ask -
what do you want to use the rifle for?

To me - a quintessential alaskan hunting rifle would be a stainless steel, controlled round feed option such as the Kimber Montana

https://www.kimberamerica.com/montana

It is available in .300 WSM. Add some Talley Lightweight Rings and a 2-10x42 Leupold VX5HD (for a set and forget option) and go hunting.
Posted By: boliep Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20

Tikka is a great suggestion. Be sure to order an aftermarket recoil pad like Limbsaver. Those rifles are light and have noticeable recoil. They are generally very accurate and reliable. Factory rings are suspect too, especially with the heavier recoil calibers.

Browning Xbolt is good also but has a reputation for problems with ejection. I would not want to be fiddling with an ejection problem if a grizzly was paying a house call.

Kimber - Don't go there. Computer search "problems with Kimber." Be sure to sit down with a sandwich and drink because you will be there a while.

Why don't you post this in the Alaska section? Find out what is working for the people that live there. With your climate conditions, the locals will have the best suggestions.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
Ruger Alaskan in .300 win mag. Toss the Hogue stock for a good synthetic. Rugers are possibly the most popular rifles in AK among guides because they just keep chugging along.

With your budget, I’d consider nitriding the SS for extra protection.

PM 458Win and ask his opinion.
Posted By: rj308 Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20

"Browning Xbolt is good also but has a reputation for problems with ejection. I would not want to be fiddling with an ejection problem if a grizzly was paying a house call."

Oh really? I'd like to here more details about this. RJ
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
I know where there is a stainless Howa 1500 in 300 WSM priced under $500.

Spend the remaining $2000 on a McM stock, or whatever make/model of after-market stock that you prefer.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
Originally Posted by ErichTheRed
I'm interested in opinions on a bolt rifle in 300 WSM. Around $2500.00 without optics.
. Stainless or Blued steel, synthetic stock. I like the 300 WSM But I'm open to options.
Thanks for the help.

From what I have learned in my 60 years of hunting and shooting, (you said open to suggestions), I'd scrap the idea of a .300 WSM and opt for a .30-06. One can get a .30-06 in a synthetic blued rifle for about $400 delivered.....yes a Winchester M-70 at that. If you want, you can convert it to .35 Whelen or a .338-06 or just shoot it as is!. In any case you'll be a lot ahead (financially) of the $2,500 you suggested and there won't be any bear in Alaska that will be able to tell the difference.

The .30-06 properly handloaded (or factory loaded for that matter) is practically equal to the .300 WSM......Hey, it's your money!
Posted By: super T Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
Go to the Sportsman's Warehouse in Anchorage, buy a Weatherby Vanguard SS in 300 WM ( I don't think it's offered in the short version), and get a quality scope. Go kill stuff. Save some money. Be happy.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
Originally Posted by vapodog
Thanks for the help.

From what I have learned in my 60 years of hunting and shooting, (you said open to suggestions), I'd scrap the idea of a .300 WSM and opt for a .30-06. One can get a .30-06 in a synthetic blued rifle for about $400 delivered.....yes a Winchester M-70 at that. If you want, you can convert it to .35 Whelen or a .338-06 or just shoot it as is!. In any case you'll be a lot ahead (financially) of the $2,500 you suggested and there won't be any bear in Alaska that will be able to tell the difference.

The .30-06 properly handloaded (or factory loaded for that matter) is practically equal to the .300 WSM......Hey, it's your money!

That makes dollars and sense.

See what Phil has to say about the old ‘06.

Check out penetration studies on heavy Partitions out of the ‘06.

DF
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
.300 WSM? Why? If you just gotta have a mag go with the .300 Win Mag. for hunting. The WSM's shorter powder column thusly it's smaller velocity spreads makes it superior at and beyond the 1000yd mark. Do you need that for hunting? Personally, given modern components, the old '06 will deliver the mail. Spend the money saved on tough reliable optics. My eight years up there (not in town either) is not a lot of experience to go by, but I never felt undergunned with a plain ol' Mauser 8mm-06 with it's stunning RustOleum finish...and I could pretty much afford the latest and greatest.
Phil Shoemaker knows.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
I can get you into a Blaser R8 synthetic in 300 WSM for about that price.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
just tuff to beat a 30-06 otherwise buy a 300 Win.mag. these 2 cartridges are easy to find ammo for. i would purchased a Savage factory rifle S.S. weather warrior now called a storm something ?,in what ever caliber you decide ? i would put a Nightforce scope and scope mounts on this rifle. for the money both a Savage rifle and Nightforce optics are a great combo for you. good luck with your choice.Pete53
Posted By: Windfall Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
With a WSM you are going to saddle yourself with a unique chambering where ammunition is going to be harder to find as years go by to say nothing of the resale value of your rifle especially at that $ level.. for AK you would be way better off with a .338 WM or a .300 WM, or if you are recoil sensitive a .30-06 or .35 Whelen. Something that has stood the test of time. Remember the WSSM’s? That will be the WSM’s in a few years. I vote no.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
You can go with the Kimber Montana for less than your budget....if it doesn't shoot to your desire then you can pick up a barrel, have it rebarreled and still be under your budget.

You can pick up a used montana in any of the WSM flavors at a low price and rebarrel if you wish.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by vapodog
Thanks for the help.

That makes dollars and sense.

See what Phil has to say about the old ‘06.

Check out penetration studies on heavy Partitions out of the ‘06.

DF

Come on guys, I wanted to get $2,500.00 out of him. You are making too much sense. Damn... As far as the suggestions are going for which rifle to buy. Weatherby vanguard? Browning A-bolt? Good grief...
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20

Win M70 - Classic Stainless or Extreme Weather. Leaves you plenty of coin to get a McMillan of your liking,
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
If you really want to lighten your wallet some,
Buy a used M70 in 30-06 or 300 Win, order a McMillan,
Brown Pounder, or other good Handel, have it shipped to
Redneck, get the bolt fixed, trigger done, have him make everything good,
and put the thing together.

You will have a better than average, customized, rifle.
And might still have some green left.

Or, follow the Montana path.
If you win the roulette, you save about $1200.
If you need a barrel, you still save $500+.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
As far as the suggestions are going for which rifle to buy. Weatherby vanguard? Browning A-bolt? Good grief...

I can attest to the Vanguard (AKA Howa) as being an excellent pick. If you go to gunbroker you can get one for the same $400 I previously described.....and even in .300 Weatherby if you like. but just between us....(don't tell anyone now) it's still not a lot better than the .30-06

here's one now

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884948124
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
Look at a Sako 85
Posted By: 79S Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
Originally Posted by kaboku68
OK- Here's what I would do.

Get a Tikka T3 Superlite in 300WSM put a good Z5i 3-18mm Swarovski Scope on it and go hunting.

You can get fancy off of that if you want to by adding Mesa Precision Alpine Stock for Sendero Lite Contour channel.
Get a Proof-Research Sendero Lite Prefit barrel in 300WSM.
Get a 20 MOA rail.
Get a Trigger Tech Diamond trigger.
Get a Red Snake Tactical bottom metal for magazine AISC.
Get a Terminator T1 muzzle break.

Send parts to Mark Penrod or Jon Beanland to assemble and bed with care.
It wouldn't suck.

Mike Cronk has killed a pile of animals with his tikka in a 300 wsm. I also know the guy that loads his ammo for him (me😁).. The op being from Tok should know Mike..
Posted By: 79S Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
Originally Posted by Windfall
With a WSM you are going to saddle yourself with a unique chambering where ammunition is going to be harder to find as years go by to say nothing of the resale value of your rifle especially at that $ level.. for AK you would be way better off with a .338 WM or a .300 WM, or if you are recoil sensitive a .30-06 or .35 Whelen. Something that has stood the test of time. Remember the WSSM’s? That will be the WSM’s in a few years. I vote no.

I wander a bunch of stores guess what you can’t find right now far as ammo.. 30-06 (165 higher) 300 win mag. But plenty of 300 wsm heck I seen more 325 wsm now than I have in years past. Still plenty of 338 win mag to be had..
Posted By: Garandimal Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
Thanks for the help.

Go bigger or smaller...

And $1500 should get you all the rifle you need.

GR
Posted By: Tejano Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
I would go for reliability, robust action and easy repair. That would mean a Mauser, Win. M70 or a Ruger in that order for me. The Howa and many others are good too but I prefer a controlled feed/claw extractor action. It is not so much that they are more reliable but they have more extraction power if needed.

The rifle would be stainless, Nitrided or black chrome finish. The stock would be an Echols or a Bridges in edge fill. Scope might be a 6x fixed or a low to medium variable. I would favor one with diamond coat or some anti fog lens coatings.

If I wanted to build one it would be on a Pierce or Dakota action. Not sure of the availability of the Dakota now. The barrel would be equivalent to a Douglas #2 or a Bartlein 0 contour or similar to a Mountain rifle contour with a little more muzzle diameter say .600 to .625" at 24". Barrel length would depend on the cartridge and how often it would be in the Alders.

The cartridge is not so critical, I could be happy with anything between the 30-06 and the 300 Weatherby. Probably I would go 300 Winchester Magnum.
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
I can sell you a Kimber Montana in 325 WSM that is a proven shooter and save you a lot of money.
All great suggestions
But I already have
4 30/06's
3-308 win
2-338's
2-9.3x62's
2-270's
1-35 Whelen
1-7mm Rem mag
I was thinking of something new that I don't have. Don't get me wrong I love an 06. It is one of the true great calibers. Maybe I was thirsty and drank some WSM coolaid.
The main thing is I am looking for a new maybe lightweight semi custom rifle, for general hunting needs in AK.
Thank you one and all for your help.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/27/20
I would get what ever rifle you have determined has the most reliable trigger, the trigger has to work correctly every time no matter what the conditions. Especially if you are in a remote part of Alaska far from any gun smith services. The old original Mauser battle rifle triggers proved them selves in trench warfare, that is a pretty good pedigree. It spawned the old Springfield O3A3 and original Mod. 70 Winchester which has my favorite hunting trigger and I have used them since the mid 60's. Of the Mod. 70 rifles the "CRF Classic series" with the old Mod. 70 triggers are my favorites. With a bit of tweaking they are a top tier hunting rifle and the basis for my custom .338 Winny I have used for 30 years. Dakota Rifles and Montana Rifles both use variations of the Mauser and Winchester rifles.

On top of that the Mod. 70 bolt can be easily field stripped with out tools. In a properly bedded rifle it could be removed from the stock cleaned and put back together and remain close to the original zero.

The most popular cartridges in Alaska are the .300 Win. and .338 WIn. Mag. and the 30-06. I consider the .300 and .338 WInny with the right bullet good big bear medicine and capable 500 yard moose loads. I consider the 30-06 a 400 yard moose rifle and with a 168 grain or heavier Barnes TTSX bullet a good brown bear cartridge, but I would keep the brown bear shots under 200 yards for the first shot.

I have 5 friends that use the .35 Whelen and 225 grain Accubond bullets. The amount of one shot kills they have on moose and caribou is impressive, as is the range they can hit at. Don't be mistaken and think the .35 Whelen can't "reach out there". The guy in Oregon named Jess can bore about any bolt gun to a .35 Whelen.
I do not know Mike but I have heard the name.
I do like the Tikka i have, I might look in that direction.
Posted By: 79S Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/28/20
I do not know Mike but I have heard the name.
I do like the Tikka i have, I might look in that direction.

Guess Tok bigger than I thought lol..
Posted By: ErichTheRed Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/28/20
Maybe 1500 residents.
I saw his name on a few signs, something about political ambitions. I couldn't pick him out of a crowd of 2. But i have only been in Tok a short time.. (over 20 years.)
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/28/20
All great suggestions
But I already have
4 30/06's
3-308 win
2-338's
2-9.3x62's
2-270's
1-35 Whelen
1-7mm Rem mag
I was thinking of something new that I don't have. Don't get me wrong I love an 06. It is one of the true great calibers. Maybe I was thirsty and drank some WSM coolaid.
The main thing is I am looking for a new maybe lightweight semi custom rifle, for general hunting needs in AK.

Nothing wrong with the 300WSM. Every one I've owned has been very accurate and easy to load for. I'm down to one Wizzum and its a good one. Some of the guys suggesting Tikka or CRF model 70's is on the right track. Very dependable and accurate rifles. 79s says he's seeing 300WSM ammo on the shelves at his LGS, so that is good info. I think you need to lower your price point a bit because you can buy a damn good rifle for less than $1,000.00. Just sayin.... I only paid $500 for this one:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
And that was with a Nikon Monarch rifle scope I have on my Tikka T3x stainless lite 7mm08. You could also look for a 2008 limited edition BACO. They are pretty nice rifles and still made in the US:
I paid $600 for this one and it shot lights out. I later installed a 300WSM extreme weather take off I paid $100.00 for:
The rifle was exceptionally accurate and the limited editions had some pretty nice wood on them... You know I was joking pretty good about you buying my rifle, but the simple truth of the matter is, you can find a damn good rifle and scope package for less than $2,000.00. I only have $1,400.00 in this package:
Or even less, if you take into consideration I'm using the Nikon, that originally came with the rifle, on my 7mm08. If I sold the Nikon for $150-$200.00, that number drops down to $1,200.00 in the complete package, including the Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 and Nightforce ultralite rings and mounts. Chances are, a full on custom is going to struggle to compete with the accuracy of a rifle like this. Good luck with your search.
Posted By: 79S Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/28/20
Maybe 1500 residents.
I saw his name on a few signs, something about political ambitions. I couldn't pick him out of a crowd of 2. But i have only been in Tok a short time.. (over 20 years.)

Oh he’s a lifelong resident he grew up in northway..
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/28/20
I saw your list of what you already have. Like me, you already have more than you need. So it is perfectly OK that you have just decided you also need a 300 WSM and there is absolutely no reason for you to buy anything else, given the other rifles you have.
Given your other desires for this rifle, if it were me in your shoes, I'd get a Win M70 Stainless CRF with the old style trigger (don't overlook the old "Ultimate Shadow" models as your baseline while shopping - the used market may be your best bet). Use some of the money you save to go to Shooter's Pro Shop online and buy a big bucket of the 200 grain Nosler Partition factory blems they have for dirt cheap, before they run out. (Pick up some 250 NABs for your 9.3s while you're there) Then get on the waiting list for a keg of RL-26. When it arrives load a whole bunch of those 200 gr partitions over 60-61 gr of the RL-26 for your four 30-06s and go kill anything Alaska throws at you. And do whatever you want with that 300 WSM - I reckon it'll shoot those 200 NPTs pretty good too! But seriously, I don't see a "hole" in your line-up, but if you do, and a 300WSM is going to fill it get one! I kind of have to agree with the folks that say if there is a hole the 300WinMag might fill it a little more than the 300WSM, but...see my previous comment regarding the 200 NAB at 2750 FPS in the 30-06.

My dos centavos - enjoy your quest!
Rex
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/28/20
It is interesting that most of the folks and many of you have a lot of experience do not understand why people living in remote communities pick up oddball calibers. I started hunting and shooting 40 years ago and shot my first moose with a 300 Win Mag in a push feed XTR. My first rifle(1980) was a Weatherby Vanguard predeluxe when they were a poor man's Mark V in a 300 Winchester Mag. You guys will ask why my father insisted that we go 308, 270, 300 Win Mag, 7Rem Mag, 8Rem mag and 350 Rem Mag for calibers growing up. I later figured out that my father had figured out that when you shot stuff that other people didn't shoot they wouldn't come to borrow ammo and they knew what you had for guns so that they were unlikely to try to steal them because everybody knew those oddball guns would below to only one family. He did this with ATVs, Cars, Trucks and even fishing poles. I just thought that he had a screw loose at the time. I thought that an 06 was the beesknees. But after I went out to Ambler and Nulato I discovered the same thing. Nobody would steal the big limo BearCat that the teacher owned and nobody would try to steal parts. Nobody wanted to steal the 788 22-250 that i hunted with because nobody could get ammo. The Yamaha ATV that I owned was the only one like it in town and I didn't have any problems. Now if I would have had a 06 I would have no end of people trying to borrow ammo or even trying to steal the rifle if they got the chance. Winchesters are great for the back country but right now Tikka would be the brand of choice. Kimber seems not to be getting much inventory up here. It is a different world and I will leave it at that.
Well I just like the odd ball calibers. I have been a handloader for 30 years. So factory ammo does not concern me.
My 270 WSM is a ultimate shadow. I am aware of the quality of those rifles. So we are on the same page.
That is on my short list.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/28/20
If wanting a high quality rifle, I suggest taking a look at Sako, Steyr, Merkel, or Sauer,

I see nothing wrong with a .300 WSM, they are in between a Win mag and an 06 in velocity and recoil. If you're wanting that range of power the two I've had were easy to tune for accuracy.
Of course you can also have a custom rifle built such as GAP precision rifles.

https://www.gaprecision.net/
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/28/20
Originally Posted by StrayDog

You prolly no more than I do but where do we stand in for $2500 GAP rifles? Last I saw were $5000+ , I am all ears. MB
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by StrayDog

You prolly no more than I do but where do we stand in for $2500 GAP rifles? Last I saw were $5000+ , I am all ears. MB

If the OP is wanting high quality for a rifle of a lifetime he may want to be aware of the GAP site anyway.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/28/20
Hey kabku68,

Your rural village thieves sound like a select bunch and it sounds like they are running rampant out there. To bad the elders don't hand out some real social justice. The thieves on the Kenai Peninsula for the most part are smash and grab jerks. Kick door in , run in, grab jewelry, guns, electronics and leave. Me no like them.

My Tanana born wife was raised in Nulato for few years. Her Dad was a Deputy U.S. Marshall on Yukon before statehood.
Posted By: RinB Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/28/20

Erich
You are not going to see any improvement or difference compared to what you already have.
Sorry.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/28/20
That was then. I am thoroughly a 30/06 /458 Win dude now that I have lived in FAI for 20 years. The students I had in Nulato largely had to move into Fairbanks for work and are doing fantastic. The Ambler children were wonderful but they continue to largely live in the village.
Posted By: TX35W Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/28/20
Given that the man has a closet full of rifles, I think we can assume he just wants something new and exciting.

Get you a 300 WSM. I love all of mine. In factory ammo, there is a way bigger performance jump between a 30-06 and 300 WSM than there is between a 308 and 30-06. And they tend to be accurate.

I'd lean toward a Winchester 70, new or classic. Tikka would be fine, too. Or I guess a Kimber. I would not worry about something super light because nearly all factory ammo pushes a 180gr bullet at nearly 3,000 or a 200gr bullet at 2850.

Still kicks less than a 300 Win mag (hot 30-06 seems like an accurate description) but recoil is definitely present.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/28/20
For hunting Alaska,I'd pick the 300 Win Mag over the 300WSM.I have both and like both,but the 300WSM is going to struggle to do what a 300 Win Mag can easily do.I can barely at best,get my 300WSM to get 3000fps with a 180gr bullet,more often it's going to run in the 2900fps range.I can get my 300 Win Mag with a 200gr bullet go as fast as the 300WSM can push any 180gr bullet.It has a bigger case and can burn more powder.Yes recoil may be a tad less sometimes in the 300WSM than the 300 Win Mag,but it's not that much.It really depends on what weight bullets your shooting and what powder your using.I loaded up 75.0grs of Magpro once for 3050fps with a 165gr bullet in my 300WSM,I tell you,it was not pleasant at all.I've loaded as high as 80grs of Reloader-22 in my 300 Win Mag with a 165gr bullet at near 3300fps and I think the felt recoil was much higher in the 300WSM,so the type of powder makes a big difference in felt recoil.Generally I prefer Win 760 in the 300WSM and one of the 4350's or Hunter powders in the 300 Win Mag.If you had to buy ammo anywhere,I bet it would be easier to find 300 Win Mag ammo.So really it's your choice in the matter.Both cartridges will get the job done,even a 30-06 would too.
Stock design has a lot to do with recoil. Or perceived recoil.
Posted By: ErichTheRed Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/29/20
I also have a sako 75 in 375 h+h and a Ruger African in 375 Ruger.
I'm going to send the Ruger down the road someday probably sooner than later. I really like that Sako.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/29/20
ErichTheRed
I have owned both Tikka T3 Light and Kimber Montana 8400 in 3000WSM. Both easily reached 3000fps and more shooting various hand loaded 180 grain bullets. Hundreds of 180s went down those barrels 3000fps and more. Great rifles. They were my Newfoundland Moosers. Both shot the the Barnes 180 TSX or TTSX really well. In fact they shot everything I loaded for them well. 150, 165, 168, 180. The Tikka carried a Burris scope and the Kimber a Leupold . I chose to run synthetics because of weather unpredictability in Newfoundlland. That proved to be a good idea. Saying all the above to encourage you follow through with your hope for a 300WSM. IMHO - Great Caliber.

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/29/20
I also have a sako 75 in 375 h+h and a Ruger African in 375 Ruger.
I'm going to send the Ruger down the road someday probably sooner than later. I really like that Sako.

Well, yeah. Most shooters know that.

I have hunted and fooled around with a lot of .300 magnums. In general, I haven't found the recoil of the .300 WSM in variety of rifles that much different than the .300 Winchester Magnum, given the variations in stock design in all the rifles I've owned in both chamberings. Have also never been able to tell any difference in killing power, and have both personally shot and seen shot animals from pronghorn to elk size with both rounds.

Also, the myth that the .300 WSM can't "handle" 200-grain bullets is BS. One of the original sources for the myth was a public-relations guy for Winchester ammo when the round was introduced, but he wasn't exactly a ballistics expert. I have found it easy to get around 2900 fps with 200s with several powders in various .300 WSMs, and any difference in field results between 2900 and 3000 fps at the muzzle is undetectable.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/29/20
I really like that Sako.

Yeah, those Sako rifles are easy to like. They make a couple of models with stainless in combination with walnut or laminated, that's what I would like if living in a cold place like Alaska.
https://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-85
My Sako 75 was a Fairbanks pawn shop find. Made the guy an offer and to my surprise he accepted it.
A Tikka or Winchester featherweight is on my list.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Bolt action rifle - 11/29/20
Originally Posted by kaboku68
It is interesting that most of the folks and many of you have a lot of experience do not understand why people living in remote communities pick up oddball calibers. I started hunting and shooting 40 years ago and shot my first moose with a 300 Win Mag in a push feed XTR. My first rifle(1980) was a Weatherby Vanguard predeluxe when they were a poor man's Mark V in a 300 Winchester Mag. You guys will ask why my father insisted that we go 308, 270, 300 Win Mag, 7Rem Mag, 8Rem mag and 350 Rem Mag for calibers growing up. I later figured out that my father had figured out that when you shot stuff that other people didn't shoot they wouldn't come to borrow ammo and they knew what you had for guns so that they were unlikely to try to steal them because everybody knew those oddball guns would below to only one family. He did this with ATVs, Cars, Trucks and even fishing poles. I just thought that he had a screw loose at the time. I thought that an 06 was the beesknees. But after I went out to Ambler and Nulato I discovered the same thing. Nobody would steal the big limo BearCat that the teacher owned and nobody would try to steal parts. Nobody wanted to steal the 788 22-250 that i hunted with because nobody could get ammo. The Yamaha ATV that I owned was the only one like it in town and I didn't have any problems. Now if I would have had a 06 I would have no end of people trying to borrow ammo or even trying to steal the rifle if they got the chance. Winchesters are great for the back country but right now Tikka would be the brand of choice. Kimber seems not to be getting much inventory up here. It is a different world and I will leave it at that.

Alaska sounds like hell. Glad I don't live there
If it was easy everybody would live here.
Posted By: mrmarklin Re: Bolt action rifle - 12/01/20
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I can get you into a Blaser R8 synthetic in 300 WSM for about that price.

Do this. You'll never look back.
© 24hourcampfire