Home
Posted By: Elvis Winchester Primers - 12/13/20
A few years ago there were some bad Winchester primers out there. Some made their way out to Australia as well. However, I only ever heard it was some batches of large rifle primers. Were the small rifle primers affected?

Also, Winchester standard primers are/were considered the hottest of the primers. Does this also include the small rifle primers?

I'm looking to prime some 6.5x47 cases with small rifle primers. I have steered clear of Winchester since the bad runs and bought CCI large primers instead. I have Rem 7 1/2 but wondering if the Winchester small primers may give better ignition in cold temperatures (0 degrees celsius and below).
Posted By: KEVIN_JAY Re: Winchester Primers - 12/13/20
Never heard about small rifle problems with them.

I remember when this all was going down. I have quite a few of the LR primers from that time period but never got around to calling in the lot numbers.
Posted By: aalf Re: Winchester Primers - 12/13/20
Originally Posted by Elvis
I'm looking to prime some 6.5x47 cases with small rifle primers. I have steered clear of Winchester since the bad runs and bought CCI large primers instead. I have Rem 7 1/2 but wondering if the Winchester small primers may give better ignition in cold temperatures (0 degrees celsius and below).

I use 7 1/2's in most all my 47 cases, 22, 6, or 6.5 versions.

My best test was sitting for several hours in minus 26 below and had them go bang just fine.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Winchester Primers - 12/13/20
CCI 450s are the hottest SR primers.
Posted By: Elvis Re: Winchester Primers - 12/13/20
Good feedback. Thanks fellas. smile
© 24hourcampfire