Home
Posted By: JamesJr Small Rifle Primers - 01/21/21
Wasn't sure where to post this, but I'm asking it here............given a choice between Winchester small rifle primers and Wolf small rifle primers, which would you prefer, and why?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/21/21
This day and age, get both....

DF
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/21/21
Okay, here's why I'm asking........I have some of both, how much I'm not saying, but I thought about trying to trade for some large rifle primers, which I really don't need, but I will never use all the small rifle ones I have. Trying to get a consensus on which is considered the best, as that;s what I'll keep.
Posted By: drover Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
I have used them both and in my most accurate rifle the Wolf seemed to give a slight edge but if you are not concerned with that last few thousandths of group size then there is not enough difference to concern yourself with IMO.

drover
Posted By: brydan Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
No question in my mind, trade the Winchester and keep the good stuff for yourself.
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
Aren't Wolf primers made in Russia?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

As far as I know they are. They've always worked for me, but so have Winchester, hence my question.
Posted By: brydan Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Yes and I was so hoping ole Donald J was going to let them back in again. No chance now. Haven't used anything but Wolf since 2010
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
Seems bench rest shooter like Wolf. I've never had any, not into bench rest shooting.

But, think I'd hang onto them, trade the W/W's..

DF
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
I would never buy any Russian primers if there was an alternative.
Posted By: Elvis Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
Trade the oldest ones.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
Just for schidts & giggles, Federal vs Wolf. Group on right is Wolf shot first. 3:00 shot was shot #1, a couple of clicks left dialed in and let her rip. Three hundred yards prone, black target paster is 1" square. .308win, 175gr Berger LRM, Varget.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Yeah, but you don't know much about primers.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
Keep the Wolf and ditch the WSRs.
The Russians know how to make good primers with very little variance in brisance.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I was going to say the same thing about Winchester primers.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Seems bench rest shooter like Wolf.

DF

A few, but very few.................about 90%+ use 205's
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
Old school WW primers with the silver cup are good, new stuff with the brass colored cups suck swamp water.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
Pardon the drift, but I had my first-ever dud primer yesterday while dialing in a new scope on my Grendel, a FGM205M. Two whacks failed to set it off. Crap!

JB has had good results with Tulas, IIRC. Haven’t seen any of those either, of course.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
That's some frickin' outstanding shooting AJ300MAG.
Posted By: Achigan1 Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
one of the guys I shoot steel with uses Wolf and Tula both, he must have bought a trunkload at some point. Best I can tell all of them go bang. I'd sure use them if I could find'em!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
I experimented a lot with various SR primers during the "Obama shortage," part of the time due to magazine assignments. From what I can determine, the Tula primers are essentially the same as Wolf--both were/are made in a plant in Tula, a city of around half a million 100 miles south of Moscow.

Also got excellent results from Sellier & Bellot primers, made in the Czech Republic. In fact their SR primers resulted in somewhat smaller groups than F205Ms in my 6mm PPC benchrest rifle.

Should also note that foreign companies that make primers can also make them in different brisances and cup thicknesses, just as some companies do here. Not all SR primers from a given company are the same, though right now handloaders are buying whatever they can find.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Small Rifle Primers - 01/22/21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Old school WW primers with the silver cup are good, new stuff with the brass colored cups suck swamp water.

I have a good many old silver ones, never bought the newer brass ones. Have heard some less than flattering stuff about the latter. The old ones work great, some 30+ years old.

DF
© 24hourcampfire