Home
Looking for recommendations for books/magazines in 3 categories of hunting/fishing/outdoors type books:
1. To read to older preschoolers that will keep their attention
2. To read to elementary school age kids that may be above their reading level but will keep their interest
3. Elementary reading level books

Some books could fit more than one category (e.g., 1 and 3).

Thanks!
I cannot recommend high enough "The Old Man and The Boy". Read it to them at bedtime. When they get older get them "The Hunter's Heart".
powdr
I bought my son the Lucky Luke series of books by Kevin Lovegreen last year. He really liked them and burned through them pretty quick. They are for early grade school aged kids.
Another vote for: "The Old Man and The Boy"
Kevin Thomas has a book on Cape buffalo for kids. My son's liked it a lot
The books by Lane Walker. For our two boys they've fit all 3 categories, though some of the ideas/situations needed to be explained for #1.

https://lanewalkerbooks.com/?gclid=...pMeiAIpPdNwObeGXm6thaMqHRmkaArZyEALw_wcB

"Who Pooped in the Park". Buy the one most close to where you are.
There is a whole series of outdoor books by an author named Jim Kjelgaard aimed at young guys. I read them all when I was growing up, great stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Jim-Kjelgaard/e/B000APAVUY?ref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share
Osa Johnson's "I married adventure"

My daughter read 5 of these and LOVED them.
Cache Lake Country: Or, Life in the North Woods by John J. Rowlands.

You will enjoy reading it and your elementry child will want to try some of it.

I believe it is alasting book.
When I had my tonsils out in 1963, a family friend bought me a copy of “Rascal”, by Sterling North. It’s one of my treasures.

I recommend it and others like it that tell of young people doing things in the outdoors, like fishing, hunting, camping, whatever, rather than how-tos or stuff focused on just the activity. Dog books like “Old Yeller” and “Big Red” are great. They’ll associate those outdoor pursuits with characters they’ll like and feel a bond with.
C.B. Colby:

“First Hunt”
“First Rifle”
“First Fish”

I’m pretty sure I had these checked out for almost all of 3rd through 6th grade.
I second the motion for Jim Kjelgaard. I read and re-read many of them as a boy. Favorites are/were Lion Hound and Haunt Fox. I also teach (5-6), and most of my students love the Kjelgaard books.
Third for kjelgaard, my favorite was wild trek. Second for the Kevin lovegreen series, got the set for my kids and they love them.
Originally Posted by kandpand
Another vote for: "The Old Man and The Boy"

This...

Regards, Matt
Cache Lake Country: Life In The Big Woods by John J. Rowlands
Huge fan of "The Old Man and the Boy" here, but for preschooler/elementary age maybe not so much. At least not in it's entirety, certain chapters sure.

"Where the Red Fern Grows" and "My Side of the Mountain" might be more age appropriate. My son loved the book "Hatchet" and the follow ups as well but I never read them personally, little bit after my time.
Not sure this exactly applies but there is an educational fly fishing book called ‘The Curtis Creek Manifesto’ that is written in a fun way but still conveys the essential elements of fly fishing. Fun read for my two kids when they first got going.

Tim
My daughters liked these when they were younger:

https://little-sportsman-inc.myshopify.com
© 24hourcampfire