Home
Posted By: OSU_Sig re-boring question - 02/14/21
I asked this question in the gunsmithing forum but thought I might get some good insight here too. Without going into great detail, could a heavy barrel 22-250 be rebored to 250 Savage?
I'm told the issue with reboring is not having enough meat left after the bore is enlarged. Would a varmint contour provide enough? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: re-boring question - 02/14/21
That would work fine.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: re-boring question - 02/14/21
Thanks JB.

Any recommendations on re-boring services?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: re-boring question - 02/14/21
I have used Classic Barrel & Gunworks (www.cutrifle.com) for smaller-bore reboring jobs with excellent results. They went through a slow period 2-3 years ago when the owner had some health problems, but from what I understand are up to speed again.
Posted By: DLSguide Re: re-boring question - 02/14/21
I have used JES reboring a couple times and have been well satisfied. Reasonable pricing and fast turnaround. Also, usually answers the phone.
Posted By: strosfann Re: re-boring question - 02/14/21
Looked at Classic’s website and just about have myself convinced to turn a Heavy Varmint 22-250 into a 7mm-08 and have the barrel turned down to a fluted sporter weight.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: re-boring question - 02/14/21
Thank you. I’ll check them out. Already had plans to get in touch with JES. I think they only do 30 caliber and up though.
Posted By: Dinny Re: re-boring question - 02/15/21
Wayne York, oregunsmithing.com may be worth a look. He laps his rebored barrels.

Thanks, Dinny
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: re-boring question - 02/15/21
A couple comments:

Yes, JES only does .35 caliber and up.

Classic also laps their rebores.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: re-boring question - 02/15/21
Doesn't really help the OP but JES will do .338 and up. He did a .338-06 for me.
JES Caliber Options
I had been considering having a M700 22-250 rebored to a 250 Savage as well, and have also been looking at Classic. It good to hear the recommendations on them.
OSU-Sig, please come back and update this thread with any experiences you have with them, or whomever you choose for the job.

Thanks,
Rex
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: re-boring question - 02/15/21
Will do. I am calling them today and will try to get things in motion.
Originally Posted by strosfann
Looked at Classic’s website and just about have myself convinced to turn a Heavy Varmint 22-250 into a 7mm-08 and have the barrel turned down to a fluted sporter weight.

That would be interesting, as well. Keep us posted on your progress.
Posted By: reivertom Re: re-boring question - 02/15/21
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A couple comments:

Yes, JES only does .35 caliber and up.

Classic also laps their rebores.

I think they re-bore to .338 also.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: re-boring question - 02/15/21
You're right--they added .338 a few years ago.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: re-boring question - 02/15/21
I'd recommend some careful research with Pedersen at Classic. No doubt he's done some good work for people, but my experience was pretty bad both for workmanship and customer service.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15286468/1
When did you have this work done?
Posted By: pabucktail Re: re-boring question - 02/15/21
Spring of 2020
Okay, thanks.
Posted By: deerhunter5555 Re: re-boring question - 02/16/21
JES does great work, but that gawd awful stamping job is nearly a deal breaker...
Posted By: ATC Re: re-boring question - 02/16/21
I've had JES rebore two for me. A 243 to 338 federal and a 30-06 to 338-06. I just got the 338-06 back today. Stamping looks fine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: re-boring question - 02/16/21
Try giving Wayne York a call. I think you'll find that he can do your project and he's a very good gunsmith as well.

http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/About-Us---Services.html
Posted By: reivertom Re: re-boring question - 02/16/21
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
JES does great work, but that gawd awful stamping job is nearly a deal breaker...

I've heard that you can request that he not stamp the barrel. I don't know if it's true. My lever guns were stamped just fine, bu t some guys didn't like theirs.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: re-boring question - 02/16/21
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
Try giving Wayne York a call. I think you'll find that he can do your project and he's a very good gunsmith as well.

http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/About-Us---Services.html

I sent an email request for information to him. He responded promptly. High marks for that. He can do the job I want done.
Posted By: 406_SBC Re: re-boring question - 02/16/21
I have used Classic Barrel & Gunworks (www.cutrifle.com) for smaller-bore reboring jobs with excellent results. They went through a slow period 2-3 years ago when the owner had some health problems, but from what I understand are up to speed again.
Danny did a rebore for me last year. I sent it to him in early March and had it back in my hands the first week of June. He was altogether excellent in his work and communication.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: re-boring question - 02/16/21
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
Danny did a rebore for me last year. I sent it to him in early March and had it back in my hands the first week of June. He was altogether excellent in his work and communication.

Was it by chance a .400 Whelen or somesuch?
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Was it by chance a .400 Whelen or somesuch?
Yes, it is a .400 Whelen. I'm very pleased with the way it has turned out.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: re-boring question - 02/16/21
Yeah! He mentioned your project when I sent mine in and I talked about the differences between SW and SE AK with him. He said it was unusual to have to jobs for guys in AK in the shop at the same time. So he didn't flake on you with shipping or craftsmanship? If so, that's great to hear. I don't know how that happened with mine.

The .400 is about the most smash you can get on that bolt face. Neat round.
I didn't have the first problem with Danny. He was easy to reach on the phone when I needed him and he reached out to me when he had a delay. He sent me a bill for the work and I can't recall if I added the shipping cost on top of that or not. Sad to hear your experience was not like mine.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: re-boring question - 02/16/21
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555

He stamped ".358 Win 1:12" on the bottom of the barrel, left the factory .243 Win on the barrel. He sent a note stating he didn't want to mess up the factory stamp.

And, I didn't specify. Send him a note how you want it.

DF
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: re-boring question - 02/17/21
It sounds like he has emerged from the rough patch JB spoke of earlier in the post. I'll have to choose between him and Oregunsmithing.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: re-boring question - 02/17/21
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
It sounds like he has emerged from the rough patch JB spoke of earlier in the post. I'll have to choose between him and Oregunsmithing.

JES turnaround time and price are probably the best you gonna find. Seems to me, his bores are a bit rough, obviously not polished. But, with some shooting, fouling deminishes markedly, DBC doesn't hurt. They may look a bit rough thru the Hawkeye, but he cuts a really even hole, an absolutely smooth pass with a tight patch. I think a smooth, uniform bore is critical to accuracy, even if you can see inclusions, small voids, chatter marks from the rifling tool, etc.

It's not a Brux or a Krieger, but it is what it is. I think it's a good deal. Mine has settled down and goes MOA with a number of combos. Best groups so far have been around 3/4", plenty good for hunting. In my case, it outshoots the pitted .243 barrel I started with, a good result for $250.

A new $600 Shilen, etc. may not shoot enough better to justify the additional cost. The .358 Win isn't generally considered a LR round to start with, so 3/4" vs. 1/2" or better may not be worth the premium. And, I like maintaining the look of the original Pre-64 Fwt barrel. With a new tube, I'd probably go SS with similar contour, stay with 22".

DF
© 24hourcampfire