Home
Posted By: chesterwy Help With Bullet ID - 02/18/21
I was given a bunch of bullets by a guy who was moving. There’s (200) bullets in plastic bags that are marked .284 160 grain SPBT blem. No mention of manufacturer. They measure 1.290” in length and have a very pronounced boat tall, and an exposed lead tip. I’m thinking they are either Sierra or Speer bullets but want to be sure for load development purposes. Anyone have any ideas what they might be?
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Help With Bullet ID - 02/18/21
I think you have blems sold by SPS. I have a hunch they are 175 grain Accubond Long Range. That would be LONG for a 160 grain 284 bullet. Have you weighed one? Are you sure it's lead rather than the lead colored plastic tip on ABLR? ABLRs have VERY long boat tails.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Help With Bullet ID - 02/18/21
Not sure how, but I didn’t measure it correctly. Measures 1.290” on my caliper. And weighs 160 grains in my scale.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Help With Bullet ID - 02/18/21
Of my ABLR bullets in 7mm

One 168 ABLR bullets measure 1.55"
3 175 ABLR's measure 1.505", 1.5", 1.5"
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Help With Bullet ID - 02/18/21
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Not sure how, but I didn’t measure it correctly. Measures 1.290” on my caliper. And weighs 160 grains in my scale.

Ah, that makes more sense. This is a pretty cool chart to piddle with. http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/lengths/lengths.shtml
© 24hourcampfire