Home
Eileen and I have been thinking about adding a 5th issue each year, sort of a "special edition," like some paper magazines do. We'd write about subjects that don't quite fit in the format that's evolved over the years. Are thinking of doing it in mid-winter, when a lot of us NEED something else to read! We'd increase the subscription a little, from $10/year for four issues to $12.50 for five--which for present subscribers wouldn't apply until renewal.

Anyway, was wondering what you think.

Thanks,
John
Sure.

Not gonna be too many “feelings” in it, right?
Sounds good!
John and Eileen,

YES!

Please!

Thanks
I agree with the previous posts. Count me in!

Bruce
Go for it, I think it's a good idea

Sounds good to me--especially if the 5th edition has some "different" subjects that wouldn't normally fit.
John, Good idea, Count me in 340fan
.I'd like to see articles on stuff that didn't work, and explanations and theories as to why not.

"Things that went wrong."

That can be just as enlightening as the success stories---maybe even more so.
Sounds great - I’m in
Count me in.....I personally think you need to do it monthly. Will gladly pay for it!
John;
Good evening, I hope the day was a good one for you and Eileen and you're both well.

I'd absolutely support and enjoy that additional special edition.

Another vote for the affirmative.

All the best to you all.

Dwayne
Great idea, I'm in!
Sounds good to me. But having subscribed for almost 10 years, I'm probably biased.
I'm all for it.
Like the others, I would enjoy an additional issue.
I'm all for it as long as you tell us how often we should clean a barrel.. Sorry MD, could not help my self, just couldn't. LOL
Can someone give me some information as to what is included in the Rifle Looney News?
Do you pick a rifle or caliber and make it the talking point? And is this email subscription?
I'm all for it.
Sure, sounds good.
Rex
Great! - The more you and the 'leenster' publish the better off
we all are. Never get enough good writing. Thank you
Old Cuss
Call it the Annual Covid Memorial Issue, to honor all the annual sportsmen shows that got canceled in the off season....
I’d pay for it
Sounds good to me. I’m for it.
Thanks to all who responded!

Now I'll respond to some of the individual comments.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
.I'd like to see articles on stuff that didn't work, and explanations and theories as to why not.

That's a good idea. I've included some of that from time to time, but have some interesting stories along that line!
Originally Posted by RiverRider

That is an excellent suggestion.
Originally Posted by Bobcat85
Count me in.....I personally think you need to do it monthly. Will gladly pay for it!

Unfortunately, if we did go monthly, we wouldn't have time to do some of our other jobs, such as writing the books we publish that appear on the website, along with RLN!
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
Can someone give me some information as to what is included in the Rifle Looney News?
Do you pick a rifle or caliber and make it the talking point? And is this email subscription?

It comes out four times a year, and includes hunting stories, technical gun articles, close looks at good guns we've known, game field care, recipes for various kinds of game, a dessert recipe every issue (often something that can be carried and eaten in the field), and reviews of stuff from optics to books to whatever seems relevant to hunting.
Count me in as well.
That works for me.
I'm in.
Go for It!
Sounds good to me.
I'm in...started subscribing when it was $8/yr. I would like to see a multi-article in-depth take on topics that are hard to fully cover in a single article or something along the line of collection of short stories. Would also be interesting if there were "guest" contributors. Keep up the good work! Scott
Well, this thread gave me the nudge to resubscribe to RLN and order GGII while I was about it. Oh yeah, went on Amazon and got the Kindle version of the Tiger book reviewed.
More is better!

Mike
I'm in.
Sounds good. I don't subscribe but buy the book every five years. It's a long time to wait though.
Originally Posted by SWJ
I'm in...started subscribing when it was $8/yr. I would like to see a multi-article in-depth take on topics that are hard to fully cover in a single article or something along the line of collection of short stories. Would also be interesting if there were "guest" contributors. Keep up the good work! Scott

We did have at least one guest contributor early on. Phil Shoemaker did an article on "Old Ugly," his favorite back-up rifle for guiding clients after brown bears. But since RLN doesn't take advertising, it doesn't make enough money to pay other contributors as much as they deserve, though once in a while somebody volunteers something. (Phil did get paid a little.)
Sounds good to me John.
Absolutely yes.
I'd go for it John. I have enjoyed RLN since day one.
Perfect!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Eileen and I have been thinking about adding a 5th issue each year, sort of a "special edition," like some paper magazines do. We'd write about subjects that don't quite fit in the format that's evolved over the years. Are thinking of doing it in mid-winter, when a lot of us NEED something else to read! We'd increase the subscription a little, from $10/year for four issues to $12.50 for five--which for present subscribers wouldn't apply until renewal.

Anyway, was wondering what you think.

Thanks,
John

MD Looking forward to your and Eileens’ approach to a Special Edition. I find each issue quite special already.

Please feel free to provide searchable indexing or some such on your site. It really is a convenience when reviewing previous articles and topics.

All this Reminds me that I’m due to renew though.
I'm in the same boat^
Went to download the latest issue and found I need to renew.
Special issue sounds good to me.
I think it would be a great Idea. Rifle loony news is always well written and entertaining. Very few magazines , if any, are held to the same standards as RLN.
You bet-go for it!
Thanks for al; the additional positive comments. We're going ahead with the additional issue.
I would like it. I would hope that it would have more gun gack in it. I love to cook but the gack is what I am hoping for each issue. I would even like re-prints of previous articles or from the gack books. New reloading data is always appreciated as I gave up on testing every new powder that comes down the pike.

I would also like to see "Loads that work III" for new cartridges and powders as well as the old favorites.

Whatever you and Eileen do I am sure to enjoy it.
I'm in I think it's a great idea.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thanks for al; the additional positive comments. We're going ahead with the additional issue.

Well, get crackin’! I already blew through the latest issue, a really good ‘n btw.
Mule Deer, how do I sign up for this?
Hi John

How di I subscribe to your Rifle Looney News? I didn't know that you have this going on for all of us.

Sincerely

.Roanmtn
Log onto www.riflesandrecipes.com.
On the home page there's a "toolbar" at the top of the page.
Click on RIFLE LOONY NEWS, and a drop-down menu appears.
The option at the top of the list is "Join or Renew Rifle News."
Click on that and follow the prompts.

Thanks,
John
First of all I think this is a great idea.

But now, my fudd-ism rears it's head. I'm one of those...ahem...older types who just prefers reading hardcopy. And I read a lot, every day - it's what I do professionally.

I was until very recently a subscriber of yours, and IMO you are the very best out there, but I had to let my initial subscription lapse because the information was not right in front of my face. And when that happens, I dont access it or read it.

I recognize it's a bit much to ask to have the hardcopy sent when it comes out, but is it possible to push it out in say .pdf, in email to subscribers when it issues? I don't mine paying a bit extra for this.

Or, I suppose an alternative solution would be to receive an email alert that the issue has been posted, with a link embedded that I can click onto, provide the password and then print out.

I would then read it, prolly with a nice fire crackling in my hearth and our equally senior but less fudd-like dog at my feet curled up and all nervous about the occasional sparks.....

Just a thought,

There is different, and then there is DIFFERENT,
I am sure John and Eileen would appreciate all of our ideas.
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
First of all I think this is a great idea.

But now, my fudd-ism rears it's head. I'm one of those...ahem...older types who just prefers reading hardcopy. And I read a lot, every day - it's what I do professionally.

I was until very recently a subscriber of yours, and IMO you are the very best out there, but I had to let my initial subscription lapse because the information was not right in front of my face. And when that happens, I dont access it or read it.

I recognize it's a bit much to ask to have the hardcopy sent when it comes out, but is it possible to push it out in say .pdf, in email to subscribers when it issues? I don't mine paying a bit extra for this.

Or, I suppose an alternative solution would be to receive an email alert that the issue has been posted, with a link embedded that I can click onto, provide the password and then print out.

I would then read it, prolly with a nice fire crackling in my hearth and our equally senior but less fudd-like dog at my feet curled up and all nervous about the occasional sparks.....

Just a thought

Blu_Cs,

Thanks for your kind words about us, but there are at least a couple of ways to get around your wanting to read hard-copy of RLN.

First, it IS in .pdf format. Eileen just checked it out on her Chromebook, and when she logs onto the latest issue a print icon appears on the upper right of the screen. I just logged on with my Lenovo lap-top, and when I right-click on the first page of this month's issue, a drop-down menu appears--which includes "print" as an option.

Second, as I explained in an earlier post here, in 2014 a subscriber e-mailed Eileen, asking if we could print a book collection of all the RLN issues, because he often wanted to read it at his hunting cabin, which doesn't have Internet (or maybe even electricity--I don't recall). We didn't think many subscribers would be interested, because everybody gets access to ALL the back issues when they subscribe, but we decided to ask some other subscribers.

A bunch said they'd definitely buy a book copy, including one who said his wife was tired of the stack of print-outs in the bathroom next to the "reading chair." So we went ahead and ordered a "test" printing of 250 copies. We normally order 500-1500 as a first printing of our books, but we weren't sure about this one. Turned out we had to order an addition printing of RIFLE LOONY NEWS: THE FIRST FIVE YEARS within a few months, and have reprinted it a couple times since. Five years later in 2019 we published THE SECOND FIVE YEARS. Now some people are ordering the 2-book set.

Hope this all helps.

John
I think the fifth issue is a great idea since I have enjoyed all the issues you have posted. The edition coming out in winter is also a good idea.
Yes, please.

I print it out to read, suits me better.

Just read "The Tiger". Fascinating. Thanks.

Alan
Always print it out. Just so much better to read that way.

JB, I’m glad you’ve decided to go ahead with this. I enjoy each issue and I’m sure I’ll enjoy the additional one as well. Hope to see you and Eileen back in Kentucky one of these days. We still have wild turkeys as well as Wild Turkey. The best to the both of you.
Thanks, Doug! If we get a chance to head your way, will take you up on that.
Sounds great!
It would be welcomed as I look forward to each issue.
Thanks!

Now we just have to find the time to write the extra issue.
John, I don't know why Rifle Loony News has flown under my radar. It no longer is. I just ordered it. I thoroughly enjoy your writings and your presence here.
Thanks, Paul. Got your order!
© 24hourcampfire