Home
Interesting article MD!
I rarely see this manufacture’s powder in stores in this rural area. But any more I will often buy on-line because the drive to the stores is significant.
I think that I know the answer to this question, but just in case...
In the table of “Select Vihtavuori Handloads” the powder used in your 6.5x55 is W-N560, correct? It looks like a miss-print.
I haven't seen the magazine yet, but yes, the powder I use with that bullet in my 6.5x55 is N560.
I understand that the NXX powders today differ from the stuff that I have that was bought in 1994. Is this correct? My LGS has quite a selection of VV powders.
They've always been pretty temperature-resistant, but have improved there--and in 2017 they added a decoppering agent.
N530 is quite good in the 338 Fed. Reasonably temp stable too the time I tried it.
I've had a couple for quite a few years, some used to come in 2 lb cans, I have N165 and N560 in 2 pounders and N135 in a one pounder. N135 works pretty good in my 358 Win.
I inherited a big jug of unopened N133. When I run out of Varget I believe I'll try it for 62 grain .223/5.56
Originally Posted by Hastings
I inherited a big jug of unopened N133. When I run out of Varget I believe I'll try it for 62 grain .223/5.56

Good stuff. I like it.

DF
I use N560 . I bought it in the 2# jugs. I use it instead of RL 22. It a powder with very definite pressure sweet spot. If it doesn't get enough pressure, it doesn't work very well. When it's in it's happy place, it's extremely consistent. If you are not getting a single hole, it's not the powder. With more powder, it will top out with out too much drama. I use it in 308Norma, 30-06 with 180gr , and 338WM with 225gr. I've tried it in 264WM.
N560 used to be the wonder powder for the 243 before R26 was released. It may be less temperature sensitive than R26 too.

VV165 is one of those inherently accurate loads in the 280AI. Works with most any 130-150 grain bullet.

They used to be more expensive than other powders but most of the newer ones have caught up with it price wise.
Vv 165 was the accuracy powder in my 6.5-284. I later started using RL-17 for a solid 3K fps with 140 gr VLD Hunting. 2,950 fps was tops with 165.

I didn’t find accuracy nodes with ‘17, like I did with 165. It shot most loads half MOA out of the Krieger barrel, whereas I could get groups in the teens with 165 at certain nodes. It’s a hunting rifle, not a match gun. So although interesting, it’s not a critical difference. Both loads kill deer and hogs. And ‘yotes.

DF
Originally Posted by DBoston
N560 used to be the wonder powder for the 243 before R26 was released. It may be less temperature sensitive than R26 too.

VV165 is one of those inherently accurate loads in the 280AI. Works with most any 130-150 grain bullet.

They used to be more expensive than other powders but most of the newer ones have caught up with it price wise.

As I pointed out in the article, the N100 series is pretty close in price to a lot of so-called "American" powders these days--relatively few of which are made in the USA. The N500 powders are a little pricier, usually around $5 a pound more.
DF,

One of the advantages I pointed out was that VV claims a variation from lot-to-lot of 1%--which in my experience is correct. Most other powders vary at least 2-3%.

Whether this is important to most handloaders is another question, but it is to some target shooters--which is why VV powders are pretty popular among them.
I shot a lot of N-140 and 540 in 223 service and match rifle loads. Hard to beat with the heavy bullet loads. AMU shot an 80 grain custom with 135 in the 90's. Called the V8 load. Brass was one and done. Picked up some brass at Perry when shooting with them. Primer pockets were toasted
So what's the consensus on the two different powder types? Are the double based N500 powders preferred over the single based N100 powders? Or not enough difference to worry about?
Originally Posted by Hastings

N133 is quite a bit faster burning powder than Varget, it is my GO-TO powder for 50-55gr bullets........for 62 grain plus Varget is better
Originally Posted by Elvis
So what's the consensus on the two different powder types? Are the double based N500 powders preferred over the single based N100 powders? Or not enough difference to worry about?

To me I will take the 100 series powders every time for one reason.....barrel life. I only have extensive experience with 2 of the 500 series powders N550 and N560, they are barrel burners. I would much rather use N165 and double barrel life and only lose a few feet a second
Hornady,s .224 53gr V-Max and V-133 go very well together for Me. With lots of speed and three 5 shot groups shoot .77 inches at 200 yards in my Model 700 with 26 inch barrel.
I'm still working with 20lbs of VV530 after buying 36lbs some years ago at Camp Perry... Awesome powder for 5.56 and 308.
John, Is it possible to get hold of the article, maybe buying that Handloader issue online?

I used to be a suscriber but, not liking the new set up, I quit when the new website was launched

Thank You !

Alvaro
570 is miraculous in over bore cartridges but does seem to be tough on barrels. I celebrate getting a new barrel.
I have used N560 with 110-130 grain in my 270 win and all bullet weights in 260 rem works really well. N165 is quite special in 6.5x284 as stated by DF works in 6.5-06 as well.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all
John,

Vihtavuori is probably the most readily available powder over the counter in Europe, so I am specially appreciative of your article!

550 and 560 have always provided top speeds and very good accuracy, while 140, 150 and 165 have delivered top notch accuracy at not so high speeds.

I yet have to use 555 of which I've got hold of 1kg but will test it soon in my 6,5x57R. Not a CM, but similar in capacity and in an accurate gun as my k95 kipplauf I hope to gets very good results as well. By the way, the Bergara rifle which you used in the CM is selling extremely well in my country and their reputation for accuracy has surpassed that of Tikka. I have sighted in two for two friends and both were ridiculously accurate shooting Hornady commercial ammunition.

Alvaro
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
570 is miraculous in over bore cartridges but does seem to be tough on barrels. I celebrate getting a new barrel.

Well said.
© 24hourcampfire